PDA

View Full Version : Sack The (Main) Board

Speedway
30-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Sorry to spoil the hate party girls but Yogi didn't get it wrong last night.

The yams are deluded but so are we. What did you think would have happened if Stokes and Riordan had started last night. I mean really think about it. What would have happened?

That's right.

Now that piece of propaganda is out of the way, let's deal with uncomfortable fact number 2. The yams are only slightly more deluded than us.

Last night, we aimed to keep the ball off Maribor, let them chase it, knacker them out and then put the attackers on later in the game. How does Murray and Wotherspoon falling on their ***** and costing us goals constitute poor tactics?

Hibs were told to keep the ball and move it forward. Instead we moved it backwards to players who weren't comfortable moving it around. When we did move it forward we gave it away. That's what you get for having Rankin in your side (The worst culprit).

The main board constant witch hunt for every manager we've ever had in the internet age is boring and makes us look like the ***** that we are. That said, I do realise that there were a number of yams on last night egging us on with posting the whole Yogi = clown thing. The problem is, we've fallen for it.

No-one here seems to know much about football from a tactical perspective, yet somehow become qualified to talk about tactics as if they have their UEFA badges.

Yogi gets slated for trying to play Barcaball because 'we don't have the players' but we then expect Brazilian style flair football (as if all of a sudden, we've got the players for that :faf: ) and anything else, be it Yogi, Mixu or Collins in charge has been 'eye-bleeding'

Someone last night posted 'who the .... are Maribor anyway?' showing our true ignorance and arrogance. The question should be 'Who the .... are Hibs?' Oh that's right, we won three league titles 50+ years ago WHOOPIE DOOOO.

Time to wake up...really it's time.

Northfield Hibby
30-07-2010, 08:18 AM

The yams are deluded but so are we. What did you think would have happened if Stokes and Riordan had started last night. I mean really think about it. What would have happened?

That's right.

Now that piece of propaganda is out of the way, let's deal with uncomfortable fact number 2. The yams are only slightly more deluded than us.

Last night, we aimed to keep the ball off Maribor, let them chase it, knacker them out and then put the attackers on later in the game. How does Murray and Wotherspoon falling on their ***** and costing us goals constitute poor tactics?

Hibs were told to keep the ball and move it forward. Instead we moved it backwards to players who weren't comfortable moving it around. When we did move it forward we gave it away. That's what you get for having Rankin in your side (The worst culprit).

The main board constant witch hunt for every manager we've ever had in the internet age is boring and makes us look like the ***** that we are. That said, I do realise that there were a number of yams on last night egging us on with posting the whole Yogi = clown thing. The problem is, we've fallen for it.

No-one here seems to know much about football from a tactical perspective, yet somehow become qualified to talk about tactics as if they have their UEFA badges.

Yogi gets slated for trying to play Barcaball because 'we don't have the players' but we then expect Brazilian style flair football (as if all of a sudden, we've got the players for that :faf: ) and anything else, be it Yogi, Mixu or Collins in charge has been 'eye-bleeding'

Someone last night posted 'who the .... are Maribor anyway?' showing our true ignorance and arrogance. The question should be 'Who the .... are Hibs?' Oh that's right, we won three league titles 50+ years ago WHOOPIE DOOOO.

Agree 100%

They were a far better side than us, time to accept the facts.

Underdose
30-07-2010, 08:22 AM

That's right.

Well said that man. :applause:

To be calling for the managers head after one competitive game of the season is ridiculous and something I would expect from kickback...

DaveF
30-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Great post Speedway.

matty_f
30-07-2010, 08:26 AM

That's right.

:top marks Take a bow Speedway - terrific post.

banarc7062
30-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Agree with the comments made. This was also Yogi's first European competative venture.

IWasThere2016
30-07-2010, 08:32 AM

The scoreline says different.

The yams are deluded but so are we. What did you think would have happened if Stokes and Riordan had started last night. I mean really think about it. What would have happened?.

More shots on target?

Now that piece of propaganda is out of the way, let's deal with uncomfortable fact number 2. The yams are only slightly more deluded than us..

Yes - the Yaks have plenty to worry about. But let's not think all is rosy for us.

Hibs were told to keep the ball and move it forward. Instead we moved it backwards to players who weren't comfortable moving it around. When we did move it forward we gave it away. That's what you get for having Rankin in your side (The worst culprit)...

We will always lose daft goals - most sides do. The key is how we respond ..

It was/is not all Yaks .. an increasing number of ('not real') Hibs fans are/have lost faith in the manager.

I disagree - I am often impressed at posters' views on the game; and if we stop opinions on the game, how it is played, who should play, where they should play etc .. then this board is dead.

Correct - we are massive underachievers .. does that mean we should accept poor performances, poor tactics, poor players, poor management?

RoYO!
30-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Agreed, fact remains that the Maribor team is full of technical, fully fit, v good players. The three goals were taken with some real aplomb- excellent finishes.

Anyone calling for yogis head with less than 50 posts say- has got to be reekin of yam, no?

IWasThere2016
30-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Agreed, fact remains that the Maribor team is full of technical, fully fit, v good players. The three goals were taken with some real aplomb- excellent finishes.

Anyone calling for yogis head with less than 50 posts say- has got to be reekin of yam, no?

Every chance :agree:

ahibby
30-07-2010, 08:37 AM
I disagree. Yogi's approach to this game was wrong; how can you pass the ball forward with confidence when the one player you have up front doesn't hold the ball? One up remember not three or even two, so how in gods name is a team expected to pass the ball forward? I don't see many attack minded midfielders in that starting line up so exactly who is the ball going to be passed forward too? You say he wanted the ball passed forward but he doesn't give them good options to aim for. His saving grace is likely going to be that not many Scottish teams will put the ball away like last night and won't exploit our weakness and you guys will be able to say 'told you so', but don't forget St Johnstone and Hamilton away have still to come.

JCHibby
30-07-2010, 08:40 AM

That's right.

Spot On - posted something last night and got cained for it. Still do not think this tie is dead, if we get an early goal and make it a noisy environment then game on.

Wonder if everyone will still be calling for Yogis heed if we end up third this season....

Speedway
30-07-2010, 08:42 AM
The scoreline says different.

So a defeat for any team is down to poor tactics?

More shots on target?

Nope, ball would never have got that far up the pitch.

Yes - the Yaks have plenty to worry about. But let's not think all is rosy for us.

We will always lose daft goals - most sides do. The key is how we respond ..

It was/is not all Yaks .. an increasing number of ('not real') Hibs fans are/have lost faith in the manager.

They lose faith in every manager we have after the first 10 seconds anyway. That's no measure of reality. They'll do the same with the next one.

I disagree - I am often impressed at posters' views on the game; and if we stop opinions on the game, how it is played, who should play, where they should play etc .. then this board is dead.

No bad thing.

Correct - we are massive underachievers .. does that mean we should accept poor performances, poor tactics, poor players, poor management?

Turn that question around. Size of club that we are, what gives us the right to expect superb performances, expert tactics, class players and sought after management?

Who in our league and country has those things?

Beefster
30-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Well said that man. :applause:

To be calling for the managers head after one competitive game of the season is ridiculous and something I would expect from kickback...

You don't think the last 5 months of last season contributed to the calls at all?

Big Frank
30-07-2010, 08:43 AM

Sorry to piss on your firework speedway, but in the main, yes, Yogi and Rice got it wrong last nite.

Whooah the beans big man. We would have had an out ball. We would have had a far higher chance of a goal. To put 40+ goals on the bench for nish is criminal. (FFS speedway, Maribor needed to put one defender on nish and one off nish, thats the Hibernian "threat" nullified right there and then. Now the have an extra couple of defenders who can push up at will. When we don't have the ball we have our much vaunted 5 across the middle playing 6!)

That's right.

Whats right?

Its only propaganda in your head.
That does not change the fact theat we are collectively deluded :greengrin But nowhere, and I mean nowhere NEAR yammish delusion

They constitute poor tactics, because to play this way we need the players to be able to play keep ball. You can only pee with the pecker you have.

Hibs were told to keep the ball and move it forward. Instead we moved it backwards to players who weren't comfortable moving it around.

Correct. So why employ this style of football?

When we did move it forward we gave it away. That's what you get for having Rankin in your side (The worst culprit).

Spot on.

The main board constant witch hunt for every manager we've ever had in the internet age is boring and makes us look like the ***** that we are.

If the manager is consistantly awful, he needs to go. We all want the best for Hibernian. If any manager is inept, he shouldn't have some sort of immunity becasue the previous manager(s) were crap.

That said, I do realise that there were a number of yams on last night egging us on with posting the whole Yogi = clown thing. The problem is, we've fallen for it.

Spot on. The board reeked with them. It got so as I had to tell one of them to throw some ***** at themself :greengrin

I'm pretty sure Hibs net would be fairly boring if the fans were not allowed to talk tactics. You never talked tactics in the pub wi your mates? Silly thing to say IMO.

Who's expecting Brazilian style football?. A yam myth that you've fallen for. Hibernina fans surely wish for a decent performance, players playing for with pride for the jersey. We can all accept players having off days. To suggest the Hibs support is looking for samba football is nonsense.

Someone last night posted 'who the .... are Maribor anyway?' showing our true ignorance and arrogance.

No really speedway. Maribor aren't a name in European football. You are as ignorant as me and the next man on teams who play in different countries. We are all ignorant to a degree. Sometimes you need a bit of arrogance in football.

The question should be 'Who the .... are Hibs?'

A proud club, with a European record that most teams in the United Kingdom bar the top 10 english clubs, and the OF and "new firm" in Scotland would love.

Oh that's right, we won three league titles 50+ years ago WHOOPIE DOOOO.

Have we to be embarrassed about our previous success now? The embarrassment should be directed at "the now", not the past.

Which means what exactly? Wake up, were *****, no Scottish Football is *****.

Lets all fold and we can look forward to XFactor and Britains Got Talent on a Saturday.:rolleyes:

Speedway
30-07-2010, 08:44 AM
I disagree. Yogi's approach to this game was wrong; how can you pass the ball forward with confidence when the one player you have up front doesn't hold the ball? One up remember not three or even two, so how in gods name is a team expected to pass the ball forward? I don't see many attack minded midfielders in that starting line up so exactly who is the ball going to be passed forward too? You say he wanted the ball passed forward but he doesn't give them good options to aim for. His saving grace is likely going to be that not many Scottish teams will put the ball away like last night and won't exploit our weakness and you guys will be able to say 'told you so', but don't forget St Johnstone and Hamilton away have still to come.

Wotherspoon, De Graff, Miller and Rankin are all supposed to be 'attacking players' and were supposed to put the ball in the box for Nish. Did you see this happening?

johnrebus
30-07-2010, 08:50 AM

That's right.

This really has to be the biggest ever 'knee jerk reaction', post.

On the back of one bad result suddenly everything Hibernian is rotten to the core.

The manager is to blame, the players are to blame, the board is to blame and the fans are to blame.

Your right of course, why don't we all just trudge round Tesco on a Saturday afternoon instead?

Or maybe follow Chelsea/Man Utd/Barca/Inter etc. etc.

Get a grip.

:bitchy:

Big Frank
30-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Wotherspoon, De Graff, Miller and Rankin are all supposed to be 'attacking players' and were supposed to put the ball in the box for Nish. Did you see this happening?

When last night was nish in the box?

When has Rankin been an "attacking" player?

Speedway
30-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Spot On - posted something last night and got cained for it. Still do not think this tie is dead, if we get an early goal and make it a noisy environment then game on.

Wonder if everyone will still be calling for Yogis heed if we end up third this season....

Of course they won't. They'll lie low and wait for something to go wrong. Defeat is the motivating factor for them.

Which means what exactly? Wake up, were *****, no Scottish Football is *****.

Lets all fold and we can look forward to XFactor and Britains Got Talent on a Saturday.:rolleyes:

I can't quote your answers Big Frank, so I'll just touch on one of your points. The manager being 'inept' is subjective based on the fan's view of where they think we should be. Hughes turned Mowbray over at ER. Mixu might turn Yogi over this year. The manager is only 'inept' because we think we should be something we're not and have no divine right to be.

As for a proud club with a European record to be proud of - come on!! Give it ten years and they'll be few of us knocking around who were alive for this enviable European record of ours (except for Johnnyboy C, he's immortal.) The Dons have a proper claim to that, having beaten Real mMdrid in the CWC Final but even harking back to that is going to look desperate in a few years time. It's knocking on for 30 years ago as it is.

The song should change to 'If you know you're history, it's enough to let you know what little we've had to shout about for half a decade'.

Though I admit the words wouldn't fit into the melody very well.

PotsyHibee

That's right.

:top marks

This is one of the problems with Hibs, we get on the backs the Management/squad after one poor result, adding to the pressure they are already under.

Lets just get behind the team and see what happens!

Borders Hibby

That's right.

Perspective at last! I havent looked it up but I would guarantee Maribor have played more European football over the last 5 years.

The deeper problem that baffles me is that Scottish football clubs get good crowds, we pay premium wages yet get beat by clubs with far lower income streams. How do they do this? What is wrong with our game? Are players paid to much, is the coaching poor? Last night is a symtom, what is the cause.

I dont think Hughes is perfect but he has to work with the system, maybe it is the system that is wrong. Long term the futures still bright and can we plase stop talking about our neighbours to judge ourselves.

RIP
30-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Brilliant post

Celtic getting humped by the same scoreline made me fearful of a doing last night. That team were fast and already much superior to us in terms of shape and fitness. They were playing at home and already two legs of European fitba under their belts

Let's make the second leg a real occasion regardless of the eventual scoreline. It's about showing character, restoring pride and giving a good account of ourselves.

We supporters have a challenge on Thursday to make sure we give the team 100% backing. Fair do's if some posters want to have a pop at the manager and players on the internet but the personal abuse we saw last year on the terracing has to be countered.

Let's cheer on the boys and give them a lift with what we do best - support the team

Glory Glory

Edinburgh Green
30-07-2010, 08:59 AM

That's right.

:top marks :top marks We struggled to pass and keep the ball with 5 in midfield, hate to of seen how we'd of coped with 4 or even 3 there.

Speedway
30-07-2010, 08:59 AM
This really has to be the biggest ever 'knee jerk reaction', post.

On the back of one bad result suddenly everything Hibernian is rotten to the core.

The manager is to blame, the players are to blame, the board is to blame and the fans are to blame.

Your right of course, why don't we all just trudge round Tesco on a Saturday afternoon instead?

Or maybe follow Chelsea/Man Utd/Barca/Inter etc. etc.

Get a grip.

:bitchy:

There's nothing sudden about it.

When last night was nish in the box?

When has Rankin been an "attacking" player?

Quite, on both points; showing that what the players are supposed to be doing and what they're actually capable of, are two separate things.

Wotherspoon was trying to play Nish into the box, as was Hart. Rankin was supposed to be putting corners into the box for Nish.

lucky
30-07-2010, 09:02 AM
I don't think Yogi should be sacked or hounded out I would give him another two season to get it right. It takes time to build a football club. However last night I think he got it wrong. He allowed his football philosophy to to over rule his judgement.

The players we have at present are not comfortable receiving the ball with an opposition player within two yards. Hibs should have played to their strengths and that is attacking. Stokes and Riordan are our prize assets, yet for a big match, they were both left on the bench.

I also question the fact that Murray, Hogg, Nish and Rankin are good enough to play Yogis (holland/spain/Brazil style) of football.

But lets keep things in perspective Celtic got cuffed, Rangers are having a fire sale, Dons have had a terrible pre-season, Hearts are in meltdown and Dundee utd have also lost players.

This will not be a vintage year for Scottish football but I do think Hibs will be okay again this year. But we are not the big club many believe we are 3 league wins fifty years ago and 3 league cups in forty years back this up.

Yet the infrastructure at ER is all in place now. all we need is a team that can pass and fans with understanding

Speedway

This is one of the problems with Hibs, we get on the backs the Management/squad after one poor result, adding to the pressure they are already under.

Lets just get behind the team and see what happens!

9 years on this board tells me that there are many fan(atic)s on this board but compatively few 'support' -ers

ahibby

Wotherspoon, fair enough could be regarded as an attacking midfielder but last season spent most of his time at right back so I'd forgive him and other players for mistaking him for a defending midfielder. De Graff, I dunno but from video clips granted he looks like an attacking option. Miller and Rankin well I disagree that they are attacking midfielders and neither have so much pace that they can get from in front of Hibs box and in to attacking positions to receive. I'm not blaming players though as we have to work with what we have. Yogi sent them out to do a job which didn't pay dividends so he takes the blame, that's how I see it. Whether Hibs and Scottish football are so bad I don't know but I don't have the confidence you seem to have in our manager. He is passionate for sure but I don't see many other redeeming features there.

Speedway
30-07-2010, 09:07 AM
I don't think Yogi should be sacked or hounded out I would give him another two season to get it right. It takes time to build a football club. However last night I think he got it wrong. He allowed his football philosophy to to over rule his judgement.

The players we have at present are not comfortable receiving the ball with an opposition player within two yards. Hibs should have played to their strengths and that is attacking. Stokes and Riordan are our prize assets, yet for a big match, they were both left on the bench.

I also question the fact that Murray, Hogg, Nish and Rankin are good enough to play Yogis (holland/spain/Brazil style) of football.

But lets keep things in perspective Celtic got cuffed, Rangers are having a fire sale, Dons have had a terrible pre-season, Hearts are in meltdown and Dundee utd have also lost players.

This will not be a vintage year for Scottish football but I do think Hibs will be okay again this year. But we are not the big club many believe we are 3 league wins fifty years ago and 3 league cups in forty years back this up.

Yet the infrastructure at ER is all in place now. all we need is a team that can pass and fans with understanding

I know what you're saying Lucky, but if we can't keep the ball off them with five in midfield, and Stokes in particular isn't known for his trackback skills; Maribor would have walked throughand three or four man midfield and over run us with home advantage. No point having strikers on if we're not going to see much of the ball to get it to them.

The idea was right last night, the execution by our playing staff was not and like it or not, the inherited players are the worst culprits. Yogi has signed better quality, on the whole.

SlickShoes
30-07-2010, 09:09 AM
9 years on this board tells me that there are many fan(atic)s on this board but compatively few 'support' -ers

I dont know about that.

I will whinge on a message board and be gutted hibs have lost afterall its the internet. However, as soon as i enter the area around easter road, whatever ill feeling i have toward the manager, the way we have been playing or the players goes out of the window and im in the mood to watch hibs and get behind the team.

Its easy to let your frustration go on the internet, loads of people post things they likely wouldnt say in real life or in the past they did say it but only whoever is in there house heard them, now everyone can hear/read them.

The internet is full of knee jerk reactions to everything so take it all with a pinch of salt, i would bet that most of the people saying they are disgusted would still jump at the chance to be at easter road and supporting the team.

bawheid
30-07-2010, 09:11 AM

Aye, but we established last season that most of those are short-termists who fling their toys out the pram and throw a tantrum as soon as the slightest thing goes wrong. Maybe Jim Gannon would have done a better job mind.

If the manager is consistantly awful, he needs to go. We all want the best for Hibernian. If any manager is inept, he shouldn't have some sort of immunity becasue the previous manager(s) were crap.

He's not consistently awful though. We qualified for Europe last season - an improvement on previous seasons. We've made what appear to be decent signings. We've not completed our pre-season yet we're being asked to take on the Slovenian champions in their own back yard when they're up to speed and have already played matches in the competition.

I think what Speedway's getting at is the CONSTANT demand from some for a new manager. As if changing the manager every year is going to turn us into the Hibs of old. When McLeish had us in the cup final, folk were moaning because Lovell was getting a game. When Mowbray had us thumping the OF in Glasgow, folk were moaning because Deek was on the bench. It doesn't matter who the manager is - we could have Guus Hiddink - Hibs fans will moan like **** if he gets a subsitution wrong.

It's a sad fact of internet forums that people can hide behind a username and spout pish (myself included). If they spout enough pish over a prolonged period of time they then get the chance to say "I told you so".

Ryan69
30-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Dont build them up,every goal was preventable!

Poor tactics played a massive part last night,lets not kid ourselves!

Yogi has alot to answer for :grr:

Spike Mandela
30-07-2010, 09:12 AM

That's right.

Gie's a break Speedway, why did you not say this prior to the game last night??

You can't really expect positive, glowing threads after the utter failure last night, surely.

Very few people disrespected Maribor and very few expected us to ease to a victory but some perhaps expected some tactical nous and maybe a narrow defeat or even a draw at the very least an away goal. Surely nobody anticipated starting the game without Riordan or Stokes? Apart from all the master tacticians knowledgeable after the fact as usual.

Ray_

That's right.

Just one thing, if players are incapable of playing a passing game, which based on last night, that would include half the team, why play it? Riordan is the player we have with most vision to pick a pass & he was left on the bench:confused:

ahibby

It's all about degree of failure then. Whether a manager can have us fail by a small degree in the way McLeish did (with better players at his disposal granted) or whether we fail by a wider degree. I hope Hibs win next Thursday and my instinct tells me we will but anything else will see us fail by a wider degree and you either sit back and take it like a good supporter or you dissent in the hope that something changes for the better. If you don't baulk and things get worse does that make you a good supporter? If you do baulk and things get worse does that make you a bad supporter? It's only Scottish football though what do we expect, just pay your money and accept it like a good supporter.

lucky
30-07-2010, 09:14 AM
I know what you're saying Lucky, but if we can't keep the ball off them with five in midfield, and Stokes in particular isn't known for his trackback skills; Maribor would have walked throughand three or four man midfield and over run us with home advantage. No point having strikers on if we're not going to see much of the ball to get it to them.

The idea was right last night, the execution by our playing staff was not and like it or not, the inherited players are the worst culprits. Yogi has signed better quality, on the whole.

But there is no point in an idea being right if you don't have the tools for the job. I agree Yogi will get it right but it takes time. Celtic have signed 7 players we have signed two and a boy. Teams grow and develop but unfortunately we usually sell when we are building a team. But the need for selling is reducing so there may be light at the end of the tunnel.

On a slightly different note- are Hibs playing slower to accommodate Miller who has no pace?

jdships
30-07-2010, 09:15 AM

That's right.

Great post - agree with everything you have written above :thumbsup:
I have written re the underlined part in many posts and your words sum upmy feelings exactly.
O K people are entitled to opinions ,that is part of the life of a forum such as this but we seem to have a hard core of out of work/failed football club managers who go OTT.
Many appear desperate to manage Hibs based on experience gained organising a bairns casual kick about on the "Links".
Management is not easy no matter what the organisation is that you work for , it is almost a "lose , lose" situation
Football management is no different the international caps, coaching certificates etc the man has .
There are so many uncntrollable facets due to the hidden agendas which prevail .
The late Jo Mercer was spot on when he said about football managers "YOU ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR LAST RESULT !!!"

Well done "speedway" says it all IMO
:agree:

bighairyfaeleith
30-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Dont build them up,every goal was preventable!

Poor tactics played a massive part last night,lets not kid ourselves!

Yogi has alot to answer for :grr:

sorry you only have 49 posts so you can't criticise:greengrin

Dr Jimmy
30-07-2010, 09:21 AM

That's right.

I could not disagree more with your post and I think that these kind of comments only serve to underline our main problem as Hibs fans. WE HAVE LEARNED TO ACCEPT MEDIOCRITY.
I am proud of my clubs history and whilst I agree we are massive under achievers this is no reason to sit back and accept we will not get better or even dare I say it demand better.
The only way we will ever get better as a club and start to regularly challenge in the Cups and league is to continually push for better and if that means change on a regular basis then so what?
I have seen enough of this management team last season to know that change is needed and fast.

darwenhibby
30-07-2010, 09:23 AM

I was just about to start a thread " Lets learn to walk before we can run" but I think adding to Speedways thread is more prominent.

Somebody has now said wake up and smell the coffee.

At the moment Scottish football is in a very poor state and our result proved that last night.

However it does give me hope in terms a nation of 2m can be organised and technically better than us with the correct coaching infrastructure in its game.
Remember this nation did not disgrace itself in the world cup, unlike the mighty Engerland(oh how it is is still so quiet down here.)

How does this affect Hibs:
20 yrs ago we nearly went out of business when Mercer exposed a huge can of worms, we were not quite returning to the Glory Days of the Tornadoes or the Famous Five.
A win in Videoton with what we could describe looking back with arguably three world class players or three players who could be looked upon as some of the better products of the Scottish game. (Archibald Collins Goram). Throw in the passion of Kane Weir & Hunter and we did have the basics of a good team. That team had only finished 5th the season before.

From 1990 onwards we have had a massive rebuilding programme to content with to bring this club to where it was last night.
Easter Road has now been fully redeveloped and East Mains Built and we had to suffer relegation and reduce a £17m debt in the process while as I have said on this board for 8yrs we must "Get Our House In Order First"

I now think we have got our house in order.

Last season we limped over the finishing line in 4th, when at one time we thought 3rd at least was in the bag. Remember we did not play vintage football every week even prior to Christmas, we played better and mor open than what Mixu had us playing. Why? the fans demanded it. That squad of players could not keep that effort up all season and to me at least tried until 2nd half at Ibrox, then everything went pearshaped.
What is the nnext step for Hibs in this long road of recovery?

"Get Our Consistancy Back In The Domestic League!"
Lets start regularly finishing in the top four every season,not once every four years. Playing in cup finals, qualifying for Europe more regular gaining the experience required. Win more trophies in Scotland that a club of our size should be winning more often.
Now that our club has got its house in order, challenge Celtic & Rangers like Aberdeen,Dundee Utd did in the 80s and like Kilmarnock and Dundee did in the 60's.

Once we have taken these steps, we can then start thinking about Challenging within Europe.
Yogi has got a massive job on his hands. Hibs have still got a long way to go.
The more I think about it I think I would still have Yogi leading us. He knows how far we have come as a club. The potential of the club and how far this club still needs to go.

Lets have patience!!
"Lets Learn to Walk Before We Can Run"

bighairyfaeleith
30-07-2010, 09:23 AM

That's right.

First of all, you haven't actually told us what would have happened if riordan and stokes where on from the start???

Second of all, once they came onwe started to look much more mobile, we attacked, the midfielders had options all of a sudden. Whether that was down to hughes changing tactics or just they two coming on I don't know.

What I do know is that hughes got it wrong last night, we spent most of the game passing in little triangles in our own half. Now I'm no tactical genius, but even I can see that eventually maribor would take advantage of a slip up, especially with the pitch the way it was.

Yogi talks about barcaball, but what I seen last night was anything but.

Judas Iscariot
30-07-2010, 10:02 AM

That's right.

Keith_M
30-07-2010, 10:08 AM

Judged obviously by whether they agree with you or not.

Expecting Rain
30-07-2010, 10:11 AM
I don`t sense a lot of hatred but a lot of disappointment, much of the criticism has grown from some of the absolutey ridiculous results we have had and i think there is a belief amongst those in the so called positive and negative camps that we do have enough good players to be at the races next season, especially at SPL level, the way that Hughes utilises these players or in some cases doesn`t play them at all only adds to the frustration, i don`t think many on this board are claiming to be budding Guus Hiddinks but most folk would realise at worst what half our best team would be, Yogi should take a deep breath and put some of his dreams on hold and try to get the best out of what he has got and doing it in a consisitent, organised, and tempered manner.

lapsedhibee
30-07-2010, 10:16 AM
The deeper problem that baffles me is that Scottish football clubs get good crowds, we pay premium wages yet get beat by clubs with far lower income streams. How do they do this? What is wrong with our game? Are players paid to much, is the coaching poor? Last night is a symtom, what is the cause.

The gulf in individual technical ability between British (not just Scottish) players and their European counterparts seems to grow wider by the year. I like David Murphy but the main reason he was a standout at Hibs is that he can effectively trap a ball. British football seems not to have woken up yet to the fact that crunching tackling (etc) is no longer a matchwinning strategy since the rules of the game were changed to accommodate pansies/skilful play [delete according to taste], as demonstrated by Spain during the recent Worldcup.

The players we have at present are not comfortable receiving the ball with an opposition player within two yards.
Exactly so.

Speedway
30-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Judged obviously by whether they agree with you or not.

Obviously :rolleyes:

Calvin
30-07-2010, 10:19 AM
I don't know when it became a UEFA regulation that you could only have one good team in a tie. A lot of people seem to be saying 'Well Maribor were a good side, better than we thought, more european experience etc', but as far as I'm concerned, after 13 months of a manager's tenure we should be starting to produce performances against the better teams we come up against.

Just because Maribor were good doesn't excuse in any way the dire performance last night.

I agree that Scottish football is awful generally, but again it is besides the point. It's about how the manager organises the squad he has into a team that can produce a good performance and result. Surely nobody can say that 3-0 was the best result we could have hoped for last night. I still think that with the squad we have we could have got a draw last night, thus the Manager got it wrong.

Speedway
30-07-2010, 10:26 AM
I don't know when it became a UEFA regulation that you could only have one good team in a tie. A lot of people seem to be saying 'Well Maribor were a good side, better than we thought, more european experience etc', but as far as I'm concerned, after 13 months of a manager's tenure we should be starting to produce performances against the better teams we come up against.

Just because Maribor were good doesn't excuse in any way the dire performance last night.

I agree that Scottish football is awful generally, but again it is besides the point. It's about how the manager organises the squad he has into a team that can produce a good performance and result. Surely nobody can say that 3-0 was the best result we could have hoped for last night. I still think that with the squad we have we could have got a draw last night, thus the Manager got it wrong.

If the manager had gone with 4-3-3 last night and we'd been leading 4-0 with 5 mins to go until our players fall on their erses or give the ball away cheaply and we lose 7 goals, would the manager have got it wrong?

Sometimes it's the players.

hibees_green
30-07-2010, 10:31 AM
I think it's very unfair to blame anyone for failing to believe in any manager. It's totally up to the manager to gain that belief through his actions.

If Yogi or any manager can't gain the backing of the majority of fans it's his problem not the fans.

The fans are very happy to back the manager if they feel he deserves it. Mowbray and McCleish managed it with Hibs. Levein and currently Brown managed it at Dunited and Motherwell.

Collins and Mixu didn't.

Only Yogi can change it and he's currently failing to do that for many but I think it's balls to say it's the fans fault that he's failling to convince them.

Calvin
30-07-2010, 10:39 AM
If the manager had gone with 4-3-3 last night and we'd been leading 4-0 with 5 mins to go until our players fall on their erses or give the ball away cheaply and we lose 7 goals, would the manager have got it wrong?

Sometimes it's the players.

Absolutely, but I don't think that any players gave a particularly uncharacteristic performance last night.

Wull
30-07-2010, 10:39 AM
I could not disagree more with your post and I think that these kind of comments only serve to underline our main problem as Hibs fans. WE HAVE LEARNED TO ACCEPT MEDIOCRITY.
I am proud of my clubs history and whilst I agree we are massive under achievers this is no reason to sit back and accept we will not get better or even dare I say it demand better.
The only way we will ever get better as a club and start to regularly challenge in the Cups and league is to continually push for better and if that means change on a regular basis then so what?
I have seen enough of this management team last season to know that change is needed and fast.

now thats :top marks

Stevie Reid
30-07-2010, 10:40 AM
I think it's very unfair to blame anyone for failing to believe in any manager. It's totally up to the manager to gain that belief through his actions.

If Yogi or any manager can't gain the backing of the majority of fans it's his problem not the fans.

The fans are very happy to back the manager if they feel he deserves it. Mowbray and McCleish managed it with Hibs. Levein and currently Brown managed it at Dunited and Motherwell.

Collins and Mixu didn't.

Only Yogi can change it and he's currently failing to do that for many but I think it's balls to say it's the fans fault that he's failling to convince them.

Despite managing us to our first trophy win in 16 years. Sums up exactly how deluded and downright awful so many of our so called 'supporters' are.

The reaction to last night's result by most on here is sickening but depressingly predictable.

silverhibee
30-07-2010, 11:00 AM

Dont know about De Graff, but Miller and Rankin are not attack minded players, and Wotherspoon is young and learning but would not have started with him last night, since Yogi dropped the young lad for the game against the huns last season he has not been the same player, our midfield last night was never going to get out our own half because none of them wanted to go forward, the manager decided to go with Nish last night, fair enough, but Riordan should have been one of the five in midfield last night, it was soooooo obvious how Hibs were going to set up last night for the game, defend defend defend and invite pressure on to us. Sorry have to go.

Big Frank
30-07-2010, 11:03 AM
He's not consistently awful though. We qualified for Europe last season - an improvement on previous seasons. We've made what appear to be decent signings. We've not completed our pre-season yet we're being asked to take on the Slovenian champions in their own back yard when they're up to speed and have already played matches in the competition.

Sorry Bawheid, my post isn't actually regarding Yogi per se, and I haven't explained properly is that a manager should not be immune from criticism just because the manager(s) before him were crap also.

hibees_green
30-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Despite managing us to our first trophy win in 16 years. Sums up exactly how deluded and downright awful so many of our so called 'supporters' are.

The reaction to last night's result by most on here is sickening but depressingly predictable.

I guess the counter argument for Collins would be 'One swallow doesn't make a summer'.

Irrespective of that I really can't agree that we have loads of 'deluded and downright awful supporters'. The majority I know are sound. Maybe your hanging around with the wrong crowd:greengrin

Liberal Hibby
30-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Well said speedway. The idea that you get anywhere in Euurope with the usual up and at them 'kick and rush' football, typically found in most SPL games is nonsense.

4-5-1 was the right thing to do - and that meant Nish up front as he's the only forward we have who has any credibility playing with his back to goal. Stokes and Riordan would have been standing with their hands on hips sullenly glaring at their team mates after about 15 mins.

If we could have held on at 0-0, 1-0 until the hour mark, then Stokes and Riordan would almost certainly come on, and if one of them had got a goal then we'd all be on here saying what a tactical genius Hughes was.

I've never been a huge fan of Hughes, but some of the ill informed and ignorant criticism of him after last night can only have been dreamt up by posters who do not have the interests of the club in mind.

Frankly, why were people expecting anything different?

Bishop Hibee
30-07-2010, 11:25 AM
My biggest criticisms of last night's tactics are that we don't have a forward with the pace to play up front in a 4-5-1 so the formation is wrong and Yogi played Wotherspoon, a right sided player, on the left.

Could someone explain to me why these are not valid criticisms of Yogi's tactics last night?

I'm not one of those calling for Yogi's head although the "brownie points" he built up in the first part of 09/10 were back at zero for the start of this season. We'll need to be fairly comfortably in the top 6 by the New Year or he'll rightly be under pressure.

Stevie Reid
30-07-2010, 11:36 AM
I guess the counter argument for Collins would be 'One swallow doesn't make a summer'.

Irrespective of that I really can't agree that we have loads of 'deluded and downright awful supporters'. The majority I know are sound. Maybe your hanging around with the wrong crowd:greengrin

Not at all - I was referring to the people who frequent this board. Thankfully the people I go to matches with, and indeed the majority of people who I know who go to matches, are all passionate but realistic. I wouldn't waste my time with short sighted poeple who cannot see when progess is being made at our club in every possible way.

PS - one swallow does make a summer when you've won as few trophies as we have in our history. If a Hibs manager can't win over supporters by winning a trophy then the manger's job is nigh on impossible.

HFC 0-7
30-07-2010, 11:38 AM

That's right.

So you are putting it down to 2 mistakes that we got beat? They had far more chances than us, they could have taken another 2 or 3 off of us!

You must be blind if you couldnt see how bad the tactics were. Fair enough keep it tight but at least have some sort of goal scoring threat available, Nish up front on his own is never going to get goals. Tire them out by playing keep ball? You are having a laugh, we tired ourselves out trying to pass the ball a needless amount of times. You can only tire the opposition out if you make them run for it, unfortunately we played keep ball and they just watched then we would get nervous and give the ball away.

These tactics are sound providing you have the correct players to do so, however, we do not have these type of player and Yogi knows this! He should play to our strengths not how Man U and the likes play in their away games!

Wake up, the tactics were rotten for the team we have, the personel choices were rotten leaving the top goalscorers on the bench and leaving Nish up front who always struggles to hold the ball up.

Barney McGrew
30-07-2010, 11:42 AM
The funny thing is, some of those who are castigating the tactics last night and saying Riordan and Stokes should have started would be the same ones who would have been on here criticising Yogi for being too attack minded if he had started them and we'd lost three nil :rolleyes:

Bad Martini
30-07-2010, 11:43 AM
There was no doubt Maribor were a better team than us. They skelped us 3 nil and that showed.

There is no doubt we had a gameplan and there is also no doubt some mistakes, caused us dearly.

Equally, there is no doubt the team was picked by the manager and tactics employed by the manager.

To answer the question and cover the point; what difference would our top goal scorers have made? Hmm - let's see - Stokes has been known to score the odd goal here or there. Deeks has been known to set-up as many as he scores, firing dead balls to places he shouldn't be abel too yet somehow does and putting in crosses, corners and passes to get things moving.

What they WOULD have done, had they played well and I accept this might not have been the case from 0-0, in the pissign rain...but assuming they done what they were capable off, they might just have done what they've done so many times before - set-up and scored a goal.

Even one away goal and lets say we did lose 3...that away goal is worth more than the single digit it racks up when it gets close.

There we have it. The party line I might now tow but **** it; I watched OUR team get scudded last night for too long with no changes made. No tactical changes made. Nothing done about the relentless pass backs to Stack. Nothing done about our lack of BALLS in shooting. Nothing done til it was too late.

The perspective is the same today as it was last night and its not going to change. The plan was ***** and we paid for it. Sitting in, rarely works. It doesnt work for the best of teams with good solid forward lines, midfield and defence. We are NOT (as someone rightly points out) the best of teams. We have no *****g right to hammer that team last night but equally, we should have been able to give a far better account of ourselves than we did.

THAT, was the point many are making now. Yes, some comments were OTT but FFS, skelped 3-0 going on 30-0.

Pish. Not good enough and on the official site today, Hughes turns round and says he couldnt ask for any more. Nope. He is right. He couldnae. WE CAN tho.

Stevie Reid
30-07-2010, 11:45 AM

Those who are still behind Yogi are not accepting mediocrity. We are realistic enough to know that it takes time for a manager to get things right and that continual managerial change rarely results in success, usually the opposite. Hibs are moving forward in every way at the moment (yes, even taking into account the last 3 months of last season).

You think being satisfied with us finishing 4th and qualifying for Europe is accepting mediocrity - have you been watching a diffferent Hibs to me for the last 30 years?

Beefster
30-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Well said speedway. The idea that you get anywhere in Euurope with the usual up and at them 'kick and rush' football, typically found in most SPL games is nonsense.

4-5-1 was the right thing to do - and that meant Nish up front as he's the only forward we have who has any credibility playing with his back to goal. Stokes and Riordan would have been standing with their hands on hips sullenly glaring at their team mates after about 15 mins.

If we could have held on at 0-0, 1-0 until the hour mark, then Stokes and Riordan would almost certainly come on, and if one of them had got a goal then we'd all be on here saying what a tactical genius Hughes was.

I've never been a huge fan of Hughes, but some of the ill informed and ignorant criticism of him after last night can only have been dreamt up by posters who do not have the interests of the club in mind.

Frankly, why were people expecting anything different?

If my Auntie had balls......

Hypothetical situations are useless after the event. Too many times in important games, Hughes tactics have been left wanting. Them's the facts.

Big Frank
30-07-2010, 12:14 PM
The funny thing is, some of those who are castigating the tactics last night and saying Riordan and Stokes should have started would be the same ones who would have been on here criticising Yogi for being too attack minded if he had started them and we'd lost three nil :rolleyes:

Barney, how do you quantify the above:confused:

The Hibernian support can blame the coaching side, the playing side, the tactics, the weather conditions, whatever. Essentially its splitting hairs. I'm sure there is not one Hibby out there who thought that yesterday was even satisfactory. Really we are all signing from the same hymn sheet. We were gantin' last night, backing or not backing Hughes is neither here nor there.

Barney McGrew
30-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Barney, how do you quantify the above

To my mind, there are sections of our support who don't like Yogi, and would take any chance to lay blame with him. Do you think if we'd started with Ant and Deek, played a bit more open than we did last night and still lost 3-0 then he would have avoided criticism?

To my mind, the system last night was probably the right way to set up. You could split hairs on the personnel deployed, but the system was right IMO. What you can't quantify is slips and individual mistakes that cost us two goals - on another night they don't happen and we come back with a 1-0 defeat. On another night Miller's shot at the end of the first half goes in and we go in level at half time.

I've no problem with discussing the ins and outs of the tactics we used and the players deployed, but some of the stuff on here since the final whistle last night is insane. There's an awful lot of keyboard managers on messageboards :greengrin

Football Manager has a lot to answer for.

(((Fergus)))
30-07-2010, 12:39 PM
When the team was announced, people were already going mental because Stokes and Deeks were on the bench. Would anyone have complained had they been named in the lineup instead of, say, Nish and McBride/Wotherspoon?

BTW here are the UEFA stats with/without Stokes and Riordan:

Without Riordan/Stokes
Shots on target:
Maribor 8 Hibs 4 (Rankin, Miller, Murray, Nish)
Shots off target:
Maribor 4 Hibs 2 (Nish, McBride)
Corners:
Maribor 3 Hibs 5

With Riordan/Stokes
Shots on target:
Maribor 2 Hibs 1 (De Graaf)
Shots off target:
Maribor 2 Hibs 2 (Riordan, Galbraith)
Corners:
Maribor 2 Hibs 1

Springbank
31-07-2010, 01:08 AM
When the team was announced, people were already going mental because Stokes and Deeks were on the bench. Would anyone have complained had they been named in the lineup instead of, say, Nish and McBride/Wotherspoon?

BTW here are the UEFA stats with/without Stokes and Riordan:

Without Riordan/Stokes
Shots on target:
Maribor 8 Hibs 4 (Rankin, Miller, Murray, Nish)
Shots off target:
Maribor 4 Hibs 2 (Nish, McBride)
Corners:
Maribor 3 Hibs 5

With Riordan/Stokes
Shots on target:
Maribor 2 Hibs 1 (De Graaf)
Shots off target:
Maribor 2 Hibs 2 (Riordan, Galbraith)
Corners:
Maribor 2 Hibs 1

so, first up, I realise this is a risk posting on an uberfan thread with my paltry number of posts. But trust me, this is 100% Hibernian.

I think the lessons from the pre-season are that almost every one of our goals has involved Riordan as either scorer or assist.

The stats above don't show that we actually got scudded when Riordan and Stokes were on the bench.

As mentioned elsewhere on another thread, I'm a dad of a wee boy who will grow up in the Hibee tradition and family.

I don't bring him along to games to see journeymen run around. He can learn about aspects of the game from our best players (Riordan's technique, Stokes instinct in the box, Zemmama all round really) but I think he can only really learn bad habits from watching Rankin, Nish, Hogg. It's just my opinion, I'm not ramming this down anyone's throat.

But the answer to the OP's initial paragraph (what would we have done with Riordan on the pitch) the answer to me lies in the Dutch tour...we score a goal. Without him, we score none.

It was therefore in my view (and just my view) a major call to leave the main goal scorer out.

And it didn't go well (even with the happiest of clapping intent)

weonlywon6-2
31-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Agree 100%

They were a far better side than us, time to accept the facts.

thats exactly the case. all this screaming for yogi etc etc is getting boring.

contrary to what people say we do have good players to be competitive in scotland,unfortunately not in europe for now

IWasThere2016
31-07-2010, 08:32 AM
FAO WOW62 so if we lose again to the Accies, and Saintees as badly as last season, do we accept they are better than us and Yogi's the man? Or will you be 'bored' with calls for Yogi to go? I haven't checked but is that 2 wins in 20 competitive games? That is dreadful .. We know it, he knows it and the Board know it.

Badge
31-07-2010, 08:51 AM
I think you just need to look at the comments from the Maribor players and manager in today's papers. They obviously got a big lift from the fact that our "two best players were left out". I think Yogi got it wrong on Thursday but he has a chance to put things right next week. Lets hope we can get an early goal and see how they react.

deeks01
31-07-2010, 01:30 PM

That's right.

quite possibly the best post I've read in my , admittedly short , career on .net , well said that man!

basehibby
31-07-2010, 02:45 PM

That's right.

:top marks Some of the faint hearted pish that gets posted on here makes me ashamed to be a Hibby. I'm under no illusions that Yogi is the perfect manager, but he's done enough to deserve more patience from us rather than behaving like a mob of village idiots with pitch forks at the ready at the first sign of trouble :bitchy:

Spike Mandela
31-07-2010, 02:50 PM
:top marks Some of the faint hearted pish that gets posted on here makes me ashamed to be a Hibby. I'm under no illusions that Yogi is the perfect manager, but he's done enough to deserve more patience from us rather than behaving like a mob of village idiots with pitch forks at the ready at the first sign of trouble :bitchy:

:faf::faf:Have you not attended a game in the whole of 2010:confused:

Hibs On Tour
31-07-2010, 02:54 PM

"change on a regular basis" will guarantee us 1 thing and 1 thing only. That we go backwards. Contender for the most ludicrous posting this year IMO. :bitchy:

Dr Jimmy
31-07-2010, 04:56 PM
typical happy clapper picks a few words and applies them to the whole post. I suppose you are happy with the last 20 games? if change is needed on a regular basis to move forward I would rather that than accept mediocrity. but hey ho all is well because we have a manager regardless of how bad...unbelievable !!

marinello59
31-07-2010, 05:39 PM
typical happy clapper picks a few words and applies them to the whole post. I suppose you are happy with the last 20 games? if change is needed on a regular basis to move forward I would rather that than accept mediocrity. but hey ho all is well because we have a manager regardless of how bad...unbelievable !!

What on earth is a typical happy clapper?:confused: The tendency to sneeringly dismiss anybody who tries to adopt a positive note as a 'happy clapper ' is one of the least attractive things about this site. (And I feel the same about the use of the 'doom and gloomer' term) Most of us are probably happy about some things and less than happy about others. The attempt by some to break us down in to two distinct camps is thoroughly depressing.

Spike Mandela
31-07-2010, 05:45 PM
What on earth is a typical happy clapper?:confused: The tendency to sneeringly dismiss anybody who tries to adopt a positive note as a 'happy clapper ' is one of the least attractive things about this site. (And I feel the same about the use of the 'doom and gloomer' term) Most of us are probably happy about some things and less than happy about others. The attempt by some to break us down in to two distinct camps is thoroughly depressing.

You're such a doom and gloomer:devil:

:top marks:agree:

Velma Dinkley
31-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Stop being such a doom and gloomer

Dr Jimmy
31-07-2010, 06:14 PM
that's my opinion and now I know yours, keep clapping happy ;-)

erskine-hibby
31-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Great post - agree with everything you have written above :thumbsup:
I have written re the underlined part in many posts and your words sum upmy feelings exactly.
O K people are entitled to opinions ,that is part of the life of a forum such as this but we seem to have a hard core of out of work/failed football club managers who go OTT.
Many appear desperate to manage Hibs based on experience gained organising a bairns casual kick about on the "Links".
Management is not easy no matter what the organisation is that you work for , it is almost a "lose , lose" situation
Football management is no different the international caps, coaching certificates etc the man has .
There are so many uncntrollable facets due to the hidden agendas which prevail .
The late Jo Mercer was spot on when he said about football managers "YOU ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR LAST RESULT !!!"
Well done "speedway" says it all IMO
:agree:

Agreed, and the last result was cr@p....infact, the last run of results from about Feb were cr@p. How cr@p does it have to get before we need to have a rethink??????????

vahibbie
31-07-2010, 07:01 PM

But that's exactly what the OP has, possibly unwittingly, done.
There is a great divide at the moment between the support, and no matter what Speedway calls us we are ALL Hibs supporters. There is no doubt that Maribor were/are a decent team but I don't think it's unreasonable for me as a Hibs supporter to think that we should be able to get a result against then. They after all are no European giants.
I think some of us are willing to settle for second best...actually less than second best, cos I'd settle for that:wink:
Yogi can go on all day about how he'd like to play the game but stroking the ball around in your own half with no pressure being applied is no really that hard. If we can't actually make any forward progress it's all a waste of time. Stokes and Deeks score goals and are more likely to get something from scraps than Nish, so all in all a bad move by the manager.
To say some poster on here act as if we have UEFA badges is a bit strong. I'm sure quite a few on here have done some coaching and have some sort of licence but more to the point most of us do know quite a bit about the game and have watched hundreds of them. Something has to have rubbed of FFS.
I like Yogi but at the moment he talks a much better game than he's providing and whatever camp you are in on here it has to improve.

jdships
31-07-2010, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE=marinello59;2530411]What on earth is a typical happy clapper?:confused: The tendency to sneeringly dismiss anybody who tries to adopt a positive note as a 'happy clapper ' is one of the least attractive things about this site. (And I feel the same about the use of the 'doom and gloomer' term) Most of us are probably happy about some things and less than happy about others. The attempt by some to break us down in to two distinct camps is thoroughly depressing.[/Q- especiallUOTE]

Agree with what you write - especially the highlighted part.
People have the right to voice opinions , that's what forums are for , but as you say "what are "happy clapper's/ doom and gloomer's "?
I also despair of the "keyboard manager's" who probably couldn't manage their own affairs !

:rolleyes:

persevere1875
31-07-2010, 09:16 PM
My biggest criticisms of last night's tactics are that we don't have a forward with the pace to play up front in a 4-5-1 so the formation is wrong and Yogi played Wotherspoon, a right sided player, on the left.

Could someone explain to me why these are not valid criticisms of Yogi's tactics last night?

I'm not one of those calling for Yogi's head although the "brownie points" he built up in the first part of 09/10 were back at zero for the start of this season. We'll need to be fairly comfortably in the top 6 by the New Year or he'll rightly be under pressure.

No offence mate but Ive seen it all now, since when did pace have a factor in playing 4-5-1, He's there to hold the ball not show us his hundred metre dash, now to be fair, he was s**t at it but I think you've explained yourself why these are not valid criticisms :bitchy:

renato
01-08-2010, 07:27 PM
There was no doubt Maribor were a better team than us. They skelped us 3 nil and that showed.

There is no doubt we had a gameplan and there is also no doubt some mistakes, caused us dearly.

Equally, there is no doubt the team was picked by the manager and tactics employed by the manager.

To answer the question and cover the point; what difference would our top goal scorers have made? Hmm - let's see - Stokes has been known to score the odd goal here or there. Deeks has been known to set-up as many as he scores, firing dead balls to places he shouldn't be abel too yet somehow does and putting in crosses, corners and passes to get things moving.

What they WOULD have done, had they played well and I accept this might not have been the case from 0-0, in the pissign rain...but assuming they done what they were capable off, they might just have done what they've done so many times before - set-up and scored a goal.

Even one away goal and lets say we did lose 3...that away goal is worth more than the single digit it racks up when it gets close.

There we have it. The party line I might now tow but **** it; I watched OUR team get scudded last night for too long with no changes made. No tactical changes made. Nothing done about the relentless pass backs to Stack. Nothing done about our lack of BALLS in shooting. Nothing done til it was too late.

The perspective is the same today as it was last night and its not going to change. The plan was ***** and we paid for it. Sitting in, rarely works. It doesnt work for the best of teams with good solid forward lines, midfield and defence. We are NOT (as someone rightly points out) the best of teams. We have no *****g right to hammer that team last night but equally, we should have been able to give a far better account of ourselves than we did.

THAT, was the point many are making now. Yes, some comments were OTT but FFS, skelped 3-0 going on 30-0.

Pish. Not good enough and on the official site today, Hughes turns round and says he couldnt ask for any more. Nope. He is right. He couldnae. WE CAN tho.

Nail on the head. No one in their right mind wants Yogi or the team to fail, however surely we have to expect better than we've had over the course of 2010. Some of the most embarrasing results and worst run in our recent history, I think we've got every right to expect the team to be making forward steps and, to be frank, it shouldn't be that hard given how poor we've been and the budget Yogi has available in comparison to his peers.

Desparately want him to succeed but surely it's clear that Yogi has not yet got the team playing to their potential and that he certainly hasn't covered himself in glory tactically (compared to his peer group who have out-thought him often, and sometimes spectacularly).