PDA

View Full Version : Blind faith?

Expecting Rain
29-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Yogi talks a great game and says all the right things about being passionate, commited and passing the ball, is the game he imagines in his head far too complex for some of our players and is he carrying on regardless with blind faith? i think he could carry off some of his ideas if he could sign the likes of Iniesta,Xavi,Puyol and Villa but alas............................................

Sas_The_Hibby
29-07-2010, 10:53 PM
29th July 2010, 18.45

Maribor Coach: "So, what's the Hibs line up, then"

Maribor No 2: "They're not playing their two top scorers"

Maribor Coach "What brilliant cunning by Mr Hughes. How can we possibly win against such a team?"

Expecting Rain
29-07-2010, 11:00 PM
29th July 2010, 18.45

Maribor Coach "What brilliant cunning by Mr Hughes. How can we possibly win against such a team?"

A manager out of his depth, we all have our limitations, unfortunately Yogi`s are coming to light, we`re neither Barcelona in attack or possesion nor Inter Milan defensively, we couldn`t beat Ross County over two games, the manager should stop trying to be too clever for players that aren`t too clever and i mean that in a footballing sense.

Fantic
29-07-2010, 11:21 PM
A manager out of his depth, we all have our limitations, unfortunately Yogi`s are coming to light, we`re neither Barcelona in attack or possesion nor Inter Milan defensively, we couldn`t beat Ross County over two games, the manager should stop trying to be too clever for players that aren`t too clever and i mean that in a footballing sense.

Thats it. I'm no going back

Hibby 2005
29-07-2010, 11:36 PM
29th July 2010, 18.45

Maybe not a million miles away from the truth. Xmas came early for them as they would have done their homework and had already identified Riordan and Stokes as dangerous players.

Yogi likes to complicate things when the simple things are all that are required..

sesoim
30-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Yogi talks a great game and says all the right things about being passionate, commited and passing the ball, is the game he imagines in his head far too complex for some of our players and is he carrying on regardless with blind faith? i think he could carry off some of his ideas if he could sign the likes of Iniesta,Xavi,Puyol and Villa but alas............................................

I'm not even sure if he talks a good game. He keeps talking about playing the "right way" as if that's the only thing that matters. Well, making multiple passes until you lose it, rather than a few passes until you set up a chance, isn't working any more, that's why we have been pretty awful since January.

matty_f
30-07-2010, 12:29 AM
I'm not even sure if he talks a good game. He keeps talking about playing the "right way" as if that's the only thing that matters. Well, making multiple passes until you lose it, rather than a few passes until you set up a chance, isn't working any more, that's why we have been pretty awful since January.

Yep, there's no point passing for passing's sake. We need to start passing with a purpose and to start creating proper chances. Whether that's not happening because of the system, or because of a lack of creativity (would Zemmama have made a difference tonight?) will be found out this season.

marinello59
30-07-2010, 06:55 AM

Since when was passing a ball to somebody wearing the same shirt as yourself complex?

SneakersO'Toole
30-07-2010, 07:42 AM

I agree.

If Yogi thinks that players like Rankin are suited to possession football he's deluded. All Maribor had to do last night was put us under some pressure when we were in possession and they knew we would lose it. Our composure on the ball as well as our off the ball movement was non-existent last night.

We were fine passing it between ourselves in our own half but as soon as we tried to move forward, possession was lost so easily. Absolutely no creativity in that midfield whatsoever.

We were masters of our own demise last night.

ahibby
30-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Following on from the point made about not playing Stokes or Riordan, maybe the problem was there was to much emphasis on keeping it tight. If you are going to lose 3-0 when you are keeping it tight then there is no point in that strategy at all. Which means that you go out and play your own game, with your top goalscorers and see what happens. Yes Yogi tries to do the things that top European teams do and get away with but this is Hibs. Another thing that concerns me is in a recent interview he implied his philosophy in football is not to change things. That is have a plan and stick to it no matter what, who agrees with that? 3-0 is an awful disadvantage to come home with, even if we do score three how much work will we have to put in to get there and then how much would we have left for extra time. This reminds me of the Athens situaton and we were only 2 behind in that one.

number9dream
30-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Hughes got all 'euro' dizzy and left his best players on the bench because he's seen 'euro' games on the telly and he's convinced he's a serious manager.

He approached the game in a fantasy, where he goes on to coach at the San Siro.

A team as limited as Hibs cannot afford to leave their two top scorers on the sidelines.

Of course, he'll go the other way at Easter Road with a gung-ho, up and at 'em approach. We'll be picked off and as soon as Maribor score it's goodnight...

Expecting Rain
30-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Since when was passing a ball to somebody wearing the same shirt as yourself complex?

For good teams it is not complex at all, running off the ball working hard and making the angles, also add a wee bit of imagination and ability, some of our players don`t either understand this or don`t have the ability, hope that clears things up for you.

SlickShoes
30-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Riordan and Stokes scored about 40 goals last season, and nish scored 6? It just will never stop baffling me why you would leave 40 goals on the bench, no matter who you are playing.

Riordan can at least score a magic goal out of nothing if your playing a 11 man defence, nish on the other hand will not.

I think its going to be a long season, we seem to be playing the same way we were in february, march, april and may of this year. Horrible.

johncrobertson@
30-07-2010, 08:19 AM
It showed last season many times, Yogi is the most tactically inept manager I have seen at Hibs over 45 years of watching them!!!:grr:

Bobo
30-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Hughes for me is like Lennie out of John Steinbeck’s “Of Mice and Men”.

He’s slow, cumbersome and has very little thought process. Is it any wonder then why his teams play with the same lumbering un-adventure?

Given the state of team performances during the 2nd half of last season, the tactically inept shambles of the Dutch tour and the subsequent predictability of the outcome of last nights’ European failure, Hughes will be lucky if he hasn’t been given the bullet, just like Lennie was, before the year is out.

I like Yogi and think he has a genuine desire to do well but unfortunately feel he isn’t capable enough to produce the required results. I hope I’m wrong but he repeatedly makes the same faux pas over and over again and never learns from them.... is it blind faith or just stupidity?

Maybe it’s all part of some grand master plan he has and I’m barking up the wrong tree? With the new season almost upon us we’ll find out soon enough...I just don’t think it’s going to be pretty!

hughio
30-07-2010, 09:28 AM
We were gubbed by a better team.

That said JH does require to address some of the points made above.

Pass and move is easily said but mystefyingly our team simply cannot do it.:confused:

At Falkirk he always put out a well-motivated organized spoiling team against us.What he is trying to acheive with this group of players is beyond me.:rolleyes: