PDA

View Full Version : New Management team required (Merged Sack the Manager Threads)

crash
29-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Anybody who can pick Hogg(captainFFS!) Rankin and Nish, players who lack basic passing skills, in their starting 11 for an important European tie does not deserve to be at the helm of this football club. Ditch these buffoons or its going to be a painful season.

bighairyfaeleith
29-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Anybody who can pick Hogg(captainFFS!) Rankin and Nish, players who lack basic passing skills, in their starting 11 for an important European tie does not deserve to be at the helm of this football club. Ditch these buffoons or its going to be a painful season.

I'm struggling to find a reason to shout you down.:boo hoo:

GodisaHibee
29-07-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm not saying anything other than; despite what I thought looked like a good pre-season; well planned and executed; ****** ALL has changed. Another boring season beckons. Yogi goes. I don't care.

sleeping giant
29-07-2010, 08:46 PM
:hilarious

Honestly :hilarious

Bob Box Fish
29-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Yogi should have went last season. His record of about one win in the last 20 or so competitive games is not good enough.

Fair doos you are in Europe and have to be cautious but I don't think I've ever seen so many back passes by one team. There was a few opportunities in the first half to get the ball in the box but it kept coming backwards.

Murray is never a left back with his pace and why is Hogg still captain?

In these games away goals are goal dust so he should have had riordan on the park for set pieces!

Personally I would get rid now and get someone else in before the league kicks off or we will be a poor mans falkirk destined for bottom 6.

Amsterdam
29-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Told me to do that at end of first Ross County game, after I has said that he should get a grip of his players.
Nothings changed since that game, if anything its getting worse. Ive taken your advice, please do the same.
Id rather have Mixu back than you for another season.
There are good players at our Club, you just dont have a clue

vahibbie
29-07-2010, 08:51 PM
You guys are all f***ed when Blackpool gets back:wink:

Me personally, I'm finding it hard to disagree, much as I like Yogi.

bighairyfaeleith
29-07-2010, 08:52 PM
You guys are all f***ed when Blackpool gets back:wink:

Me personally, I'm finding it hard to disagree, much as I like Yogi.

yeah but he won't be online for a good few hours yet:greengrin

Winston Ingram
29-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Told me to do that at end of first Ross County game, after I has said that he should get a grip of his players.
Nothings changed since that game, if anything its getting worse. Ive taken your advice, please do the same.

He is pish but no that bad:confused:

broonie27
There are good players at our Club, you just dont have a ******ing clue

If indeed he did say that to you I can only say i am not surprised - that's about the measure of the man.

Years ago I made a friendly comment to him at the King's Wark - he grunted back hardly even acknowledging my existence.

sixtwo
Although i agree with the criticism of the management, i'm not at the stage of getting rid of yogi!

It is a bit kneee jerk to ask for his head now and it would only hinder the team.

we played a good team tonight who are well ahead of us in terms of sharpness and fitness.

hopefully this ais a kick up the arse that the team / managers need to get off to a flying start in the league!

Woody1985
29-07-2010, 08:58 PM
The trolls are out tonight.

CMac1988
29-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Yogi should have went last season. His record of about one win in the last 20 or so competitive games is not good enough.

Fair doos you are in Europe and have to be cautious but I don't think I've ever seen so many back passes by one team. There was a few opportunities in the first half to get the ball in the box but it kept coming backwards.

Murray is never a left back with his pace and why is Hogg still captain?

In these games away goals are goal dust so he should have had riordan on the park for set pieces!

Personally I would get rid now and get someone else in before the league kicks off or we will be a poor mans falkirk destined for bottom 6.

:agree:

I think Murray would be better in midfield in place of McBride and a new CH and LB brought in. If not then maybe even Stevenson in LB until we can buy better suited players.

Hibs lack pace, passing ability and many of our players also lack a good first touch. Not good enough for an SPL team in any light.

Amsterdam
29-07-2010, 08:59 PM
sorry for swearing, but the first sweary word was a quote from him, the second sweary, that was all my own work, again I apologise

Bishop Hibee
29-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Yogi will have until Christmas and if things have continued like the last half of the season he'll be out.

All the problems of last season reared there heads tonight -

4-5-1: if he insists on playing this then we need someone with pace and a physical presence in the Fletcher/O'Connor mould.

Lack of width and pace: we need real width and pace on the wings to get to the byline if we play Stokes or Nish on their own. Nish did not have 1 cross or cut-back from the byline tonight. The service to him was shocking.

Players out of position: Wotherspoon on the left and Miller/De Graf/who knows on the right! Galbraith, a natural left sided wide player must be rank in training if he can't play in that team.

Players left out who should be playing: if Yogi feels he can't play Riordan and Stokes in a 4-5-1 then he should sell 1 of them and use the money to bring in a player better suited to the system he favours. What he should really do of course is build the team around our 2 best players :grr:

See you all at Carlisle on Sunday :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
29-07-2010, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE=York Hibees;2528762]

.[/QUOTE

terrible tactics :agree: no wonder the maribor fans were booing, you would think we were playing one of the giants of european football :bitchy:

Tranent Hibby
29-07-2010, 09:16 PM
OH FFS get a grip guys aye its a crap result but are we really talking about heads rolling after one game. To many posters on here with venom running through their fingers onto the laptop.
We all knew we were up against it and they exploited our weak points but the amount of pash on here is of old firm proportions.

Bad Martini
29-07-2010, 09:21 PM
OH FFS get a grip guys aye its a crap result but are we really talking about heads rolling after one game. To many posters on here with venom running through their fingers onto the laptop.
We all knew we were up against it and they exploited our weak points but the amount of pash on here is of old firm proportions.

We were *****. We had the wrong team out, playing the wrong way, for the wrong game.

The team unfortunately does NOT pick itself or decide the tactics to employ. That goes to the manager and his assistant........

YES we had individual mistakes; that will ALWAYS happen. However, those could have been countered by playing the right way, from the off. If we drew someone good like a massive English or European team I could understand 4-5-1...................a team who are smaller than us in every way?

Bichrist, we should have given them a ****ing good skelping - we can trouble celtic, rangers, hearts and aberdeen yet these muppets made us look like fannies????? I dont think this computes.

Something amiss here. Hmmm. I ken, the fanny who picked and played the team. Yes, we had some bad luck and some poor player decisions BUT, had we played all night we'd only have made MORE !
:grr:

yekimevol
29-07-2010, 09:26 PM
were to start :boo hoo:

lets see stack is not my favourite keeper but is ok but to have smith on the bench over brown :confused::confused::confused:

to leave out the clubs top to goal scorers for a starting 11 in europe is madness :grr:

i have had enough off only one natural wide player, i know that graff can play wide but if he goes out wide. Then once again its a mid of midgets witch get pushed about by everyone :boo hoo:

Also what happend to new managers gutten out the players that cant cut it ? players like stevenson and nish.

its the same as the second half of last season all over but this time its a full season

yekimevol
29-07-2010, 09:27 PM
:top marks

Sammy7nil
29-07-2010, 09:27 PM
We were *****. We had the wrong team out, playing the wrong way, for the wrong game.

The team unfortunately does NOT pick itself or decide the tactics to employ. That goes to the manager and his assistant........

YES we had individual mistakes; that will ALWAYS happen. However, those could have been countered by playing the right way, from the off. If we drew someone good like a massive English or European team I could understand 4-5-1...................a team who are smaller than us in every way?

Bichrist, we should have given them a ****ing good skelping - we can trouble celtic, rangers, hearts and aberdeen yet these muppets made us look like fannies????? I dont think this computes.

Something amiss here. Hmmm. I ken, the fanny who picked and played the team. Yes, we had some bad luck and some poor player decisions BUT, had we played all night we'd only have made MORE !
:grr:

To be fair Maribor have been far better than Hibs in recent years and have had great results in europe. But this is a different team following cash problems we should be able to match them.
We failed and Yogi must carry the can

HFC 0-7
29-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Although i agree with the criticism of the management, i'm not at the stage of getting rid of yogi!

It is a bit kneee jerk to ask for his head now and it would only hinder the team.

we played a good team tonight who are well ahead of us in terms of sharpness and fitness.

hopefully this ais a kick up the arse that the team / managers need to get off to a flying start in the league!

I dont think this is a knee jerk. This is all on the back of the terrible run at the end of last season which was one of the worst I can remember. Tonight wasnt just about our team getting beat it was the way in which it happened and IMO it was down to the manager. Leaving Stokes and Riordan on the bench, the 2 best goalscorers from last season, they have experience of playing at a decent level! It must have been brilliant for the Maribor manager looking at the team sheet and seeing them 2 on the bench and then trying to pick another danger man where the goals could come from.

The tactics were far too negative, players were playing out of position, the wrong players were playing and it was too late when the changes finally came.

Going out in Europe, which I would say we pretty much are now, puts any good work done by Yogi at the start of last season in the bin. Recent performances from Yogi's team and him as a manager have been shocking, the form that got hibs into europe was about 9 months and 25 games ago. Yogis recent record with hibs are very poor league results, put out the cup by Ross County and a whipping against an average European team where we looked no threat.

You have to start thinking about when the best time is to let a manager go. Half way through the season when we are to far down the league and out of a cup for a new manager to turn around, or near the start with the transfer window still open for a new manager to get some players he likes in and some players he doesnt out.

IMO I think this is the perfect time to get a new manager, it will definately get some of the players worried as its clear Yogi has his favourites which i think showed in players getting too comfy at the end of last season.

Bad Martini
29-07-2010, 09:32 PM
To be fair Maribor have been far better than Hibs in recent years and have had great results in europe. But this is a different team following cash problems we should be able to match them.
We failed and Yogi must carry the can

Indeed, they have been far better than us in Europe but I'd suggest had celtic or rangers drawn them they'd have pumped them. Given WE have bothered both sides of the old firm and hearts (When we could be arsed and put our minds to it) my point is it's within OUR capabilities to bother such teams.

Dont get me wrong, had we drawn Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, Madrid or such like we would have gotten absolutely happy slapped and rightly so.....but, we didnt. This, is what pisses me off mate.

Agree the boss should carry the can tho.:agree:

TheEastTerrace
29-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Lots of 'Hughes replaces Hodgson' headlines kicking about...alas, it's not that huddy John Hughes and is Mark Hughes instead. Tears on my pillow. :boo hoo:

magpie1892
29-07-2010, 09:33 PM
The players looked petrified.

Hughes' tactics were the polar opposite of what, I think, was required.

BUT. He's still a managerial novice. One hopes he will learn from tonight.

No change needed for me. Yet.

HFC 0-7
29-07-2010, 09:36 PM

To be fair, I think people are basing their views on more than one game, I think the 20 game bad run last season has something to do with it!

OK, we got beat, but its the manner that it happened, where our 2 best players were left on the bench until it was to late. I can take getting beat, but what annoys me is when we get beat because of strange tactics, player choices and late decisions to change them.

lucky
29-07-2010, 09:36 PM
The season has not even started and you want to sack the manager. Sorry that's has to be the most ridiculous post on this board ever.

We qualifyed for Europe last season by finishing 4th , our highest finish for a while. we have lot to look forward to as Hibs fans in the years to come. Managers must be given 3/4 years to build a team. If man utd acted in the manner you suggest Ferguson would have been sacked. We cant continually keep changing managers.

Bad Martini
29-07-2010, 09:39 PM
BUT. He's still a managerial novice. One hopes he will learn from tonight.

No change needed for me. Yet.

He learned last season I heard? :confused:

Ah wait, now that was Hughes who just left our two top goal scorers on the bench and watched our entire defence and midfield pass back to our keeper instead of firing the ball to the target man type player that is Nish............

Unfortunately, Yogi IS a novice as you say. And that's why, IMHO, we're paying for it.

time and time and time again.

Dont care how popular a view that is this early in the season; I said it before we kicked a ****ing ball LAST season and say it again now. I canny see us progressing with Yogi in charge. Love to be wrong......canny see it tho.

HFC 0-7
29-07-2010, 09:40 PM
The season has not even started and you want to sack the manager. Sorry that's has to be the most ridiculous post on this board ever.

We qualifyed for Europe last season by finishing 4th , our highest finish for a while. we have lot to look forward to as Hibs fans in the years to come. Managers must be given 3/4 years to build a team. If man utd acted in the manner you suggest Ferguson would have been sacked. We cant continually keep changing managers.

Yes we qualified for europe but the form that got us there was a long time ago and many games ago. Since then there has been far to many bad results, some very bad, strange tactical decisions and not enough done in the transfer market to address the weaknesses. To me, we are continuing the same miserable form as the end of last season. Lets not forget that people will be basing their views on more than one game, many people giving Yogi the time in the transfer window to try and get the things sorted that were wrong last season but alas, the problems still persist!

PISTOL1875
29-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Yogi's tactics tonight were a complete joke.. NIsh up top on his own with no support?????.. That is madness.. Our 2 top goalscorers last season on the bench is complete bonkers..

Hughes has to carry the can for this one I am afraid.

Bad Martini
29-07-2010, 09:44 PM
We qualified for Europe IN SPITE of the dodgy managerial decisions taken.
We're heading out of Europe, BECAUSE of the managerial decisions taken.

I'm pissed off hearing all these excuses for our manager.

I support, follow and love Hibs - not ANY particular player or manager...:agree:

Amsterdam
29-07-2010, 09:45 PM

I dont think you got what I meant, so I will explain it more clearly. I want him to walk, I never mentioned sacking him. Do the right thing you tombstone toothed, self proclaimed 'King o Leith' and resign

Amsterdam
29-07-2010, 09:45 PM

I support, follow and love Hibs - not ANY particular player or manager...:agree:

Simon70
29-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Yes we qualified for europe but the form that got us there was a long time ago and many games ago. Since then there has been far to many bad results, some very bad, strange tactical decisions and not enough done in the transfer market to address the weaknesses. To me, we are continuing the same miserable form as the end of last season. Lets not forget that people will be basing their views on more than one game, many people giving Yogi the time in the transfer window to try and get the things sorted that were wrong last season but alas, the problems still persist!

Agreed.

Simon70
29-07-2010, 09:49 PM
:thumbsup:

I dont think you got what I meant, so I will explain it more clearly. I want him to walk, I never mentioned sacking him. Do the right thing you tombstone toothed, self proclaimed 'King o Leith' and resign

Sammy7nil
29-07-2010, 09:50 PM
I dont think this is a knee jerk. This is all on the back of the terrible run at the end of last season which was one of the worst I can remember. Tonight wasnt just about our team getting beat it was the way in which it happened and IMO it was down to the manager. Leaving Stokes and Riordan on the bench, the 2 best goalscorers from last season, they have experience of playing at a decent level! It must have been brilliant for the Maribor manager looking at the team sheet and seeing them 2 on the bench and then trying to pick another danger man where the goals could come from.

The tactics were far too negative, players were playing out of position, the wrong players were playing and it was too late when the changes finally came.

Going out in Europe, which I would say we pretty much are now, puts any good work done by Yogi at the start of last season in the bin. Recent performances from Yogi's team and him as a manager have been shocking, the form that got hibs into europe was about 9 months and 25 games ago. Yogis recent record with hibs are very poor league results, put out the cup by Ross County and a whipping against an average European team where we looked no threat.

You have to start thinking about when the best time is to let a manager go. Half way through the season when we are to far down the league and out of a cup for a new manager to turn around, or near the start with the transfer window still open for a new manager to get some players he likes in and some players he doesnt out.

IMO I think this is the perfect time to get a new manager, it will definately get some of the players worried as its clear Yogi has his favourites which i think showed in players getting too comfy at the end of last season.

Good post :agree:

Edinburgh Green
29-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Broonie 27 dry your eyes eh. Did big bad yogi no say hiya to you?

Amsterdam
29-07-2010, 09:55 PM

I know, just imagine what he might have written had Yogi swore at him eh:wink:

erskine-hibby
29-07-2010, 10:07 PM

Sounds all too familiar....sadly:rolleyes:

sauzee
29-07-2010, 10:16 PM
anybody who can pick hogg(captainffs!) rankin and nish, players who lack basic passing skills, in their starting 11 for an important european tie does not deserve to be at the helm of this football club. Ditch these buffoons or its going to be a painful season.

a s a p

eastmainsmsh
29-07-2010, 10:20 PM
bring back mowbray and venus

Bad Martini
29-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Mowbray and Venus can piss off.

Hughes has lots of faults but at least he never ditched us just before a vital derby match.

Fantic
29-07-2010, 10:29 PM

This is just getting silly now.

machibby
29-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Thought tonight was just terrible. With the limited resources we have, we surely have to play to our strengths and to me Hughes failed in that task. I think his formation and team selection can only have added to the nerves of the team. And for sure no one ever won a match passing the ball backwards. If it hadn't been for a couple of good saves from Stack this could have been a whole lot worse.

Expecting Rain
29-07-2010, 10:30 PM

Afraid this is a cut and paste job for the rest of the season, these kind of players will eventually cost Yogi his job and the rest of us a lot of grief.

Ed De Gramo
29-07-2010, 10:31 PM

:bye::bye::bye::bye::bye:

Crack pipe down please

sesoim
30-07-2010, 12:44 AM

Hughes is not even on the same planet as Ferguson. Why waste time (and money) keeping the wrong guy in charge when he shouldn't even have gotten the job in the first place?

Dalianwanda
30-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Hughes is not even on the same planet as Ferguson. Why waste time (and money) keeping the wrong guy in charge when he shouldn't even have gotten the job in the first place?

Hughes was our manager when we were doing well for the first half of the season..IMO stick with him for a couple of years, would be good to have a bit of consistency,,Whos is to say he's the wrong guy... you forgot to add imo :wink:

(((Fergus)))
30-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Hughes was our manager when we were doing well for the first half of the season..IMO stick with him for a couple of years, would be good to have a bit of consistency,,Whos is to say he's the wrong guy... you forgot to add imo :wink:

I agree consistency is good provided the person has the ability to learn.

Who else is out there?

Toaods
30-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Who else is out there?

when you say there, i assume you mean Scotland?

not that I'd bother in the geography but for starters... Derek McInnes

for seconds...Derek Adams

nae joking but I mean this when I say.....Jimmy Calderwood...not a friggin hope he'd be srrating a European game with both Deek and Stokes sitting with splinters in their erses.

sesoim
30-07-2010, 01:09 AM
:bye::bye::bye::bye::bye:

Crack pipe down please

We could do with a new CB, LB and CF. That pair found Murphy, Jones and Killen, amongst others. But to be honest I'm not sure I could deal with another manager with high footballing principles. I just want a manager that knows how to win, and wants to win above all else.

broonie27
30-07-2010, 01:11 AM

broonie27
30-07-2010, 01:31 AM

who rattled your cage?

how would you react if you walked up to a Hibs player (or any famous person for that matter) and asked them a direct question and they just blanked you? i'm guessing you'd be slightly affronted, at least a little peeved?

That fact is Yogi does go around, as other posters on here have mentioned, like the King O' Leith and in interviews creates this image of a big bluff, lovely guy. I actually think he's a bit of an arrogant sod with ideas above his station - as the last 20-odd results seem to have proved.

Say what you want about Wattie Smith or even JJ but I doubt they would ever have reacted to our OP's comment the way Hughes did.

Now I hope I'm proved wrong at the end of our season, I sincerely do - and I'm sure you'll be around to remind me how off the mark I was but I fear I'm correct in my assumption.

MrSmith
30-07-2010, 01:45 AM
at each others throats already eh!!?? the jumbos will be creaming themselves over this!!

(((Fergus)))
30-07-2010, 01:58 AM
at each others throats already eh!!?? the jumbos will be creaming themselves over this!!

Not really, just at Yogi's throat and rightly so. The Yams will be ****ting themselves if we get ourselves a proper manager.

(How you doing by the way?)

bighairyfaeleith
30-07-2010, 05:56 AM
I heard yogi before the game saying something along the lines of wanting hibs to play in europe this season and over the coming seasons playing good passing football that hibs fans appreciate and want.

Then he picked a team with stokes and riordan on the bench, and told them to pass in little triangles in there own half for the whole game.

**** me, it's the european qualifiers, not a training session.

Thats not what hibs fans want, not now not ever!!

Beefster
30-07-2010, 06:07 AM
I'm quite surprised by folk's reactions. The rump of this team hasn't performed in a football match since January and Hogg, Nish, Rankin and more aren't good enough for the top half of the SPL, never mind against a middling to decent European team.

Two new players, dropping our 'goals' and using Hughes tactical genius which would rely on a team, which conceded 5 to St Johnstone and 4 to Hamilton, shutting up shop was never going to go well.

I renewed this season but it's been evident for a long, long time that Hughes isn't the answer.

bighairyfaeleith
30-07-2010, 06:27 AM
I'm quite surprised by folk's reactions. The rump of this team hasn't performed in a football match since January and Hogg, Nish, Rankin and more aren't good enough for the top half of the SPL, never mind against a middling to decent European team.

Two new players, dropping our 'goals' and using Hughes tactical genius which would rely on a team, which conceded 5 to St Johnstone and 4 to Hamilton, shutting up shop was never going to go well.

I renewed this season but it's been evident for a long, long time that Hughes isn't the answer.

can't quite believe I'm going to agree with beefy, but I am:agree:

GloryGlory
30-07-2010, 06:39 AM

:agree: The reports from pre-season games had that same old, same old feel - goals lost to poor organisation at set pieces, lack of pace and creativity in midfield, a reliance on Riordan (and Stokes) for goals, Nish and Rankin - what are they for?. Central defence was weak last season and, apart from bringing in an 18 year old who is surely all about potential at this stage, nothing has been done. Hogg and Hanlon ain't going to frighten anyone. I would have thought that any half decent manager would have sorted the team's greatest weakness as a priority before our competitive season started.

Hart and de Graaf may be better than what we had, but we needed a whole lot more than that to start with.

TObeachesHibby
30-07-2010, 06:44 AM
What I find surprising is that Hughes is still placing "faith" in a midfield & defence that cannot stop leaking goals. The previous contributions have explained very clearly what is obviously wrong. 4-5-1 works in away & in Europe when a team has an experienced, capable midfield & defence. We don't have that... so why waste an entire previous season's effort in the SPL, just to get your arse kicked through not playing to your strengths?
I think a bit of reality by both fans & manager needs to be applied as to any potential Hibs progression in Europa Cup - whether it be now or in future seasons.

loanheadhibby
30-07-2010, 07:03 AM
What I find surprising is that Hughes is still placing "faith" in a midfield & defence that cannot stop leaking goals. The previous contributions have explained very clearly what is obviously wrong. 4-5-1 works in away & in Europe when a team has an experienced, capable midfield & defence. We don't have that... so why waste an entire previous season's effort in the SPL, just to get your arse kicked through not playing to your strengths?
I think a bit of reality by both fans & manager needs to be applied as to any potential Hibs progression in Europa Cup - whether it be now or in future seasons.

Yogi should have went after the Hamilton Debacle. He certainly should have went after the Motherwell scandal.

At the end of the day tho when you are relying on players like Hogg, Nish, Rank, McBride and Miller you are in for trouble. Mediocre at best.

Most of these players have been at the club for a few years and generally finish 6th with the odd 4th place.

RoscoHibby
30-07-2010, 07:16 AM
Think some of the stuff is a little OTT on here today. Gotta remember, they did score 2 wonder goals last night. To be fair, I agree re. ant n deeks, and defo over playing in the midfield. But on another night, we could've scraped a 1-0 or nil 0-0. I do think it was right to go 4-5-1, but should've been stokes up top and deeks wide left. Everyone has mentioned they are our goalscorers, but they are also better than your rankins/mcbride/nish in that they can beat a man and keep possession, something we struggled to do in the opposition half.

I'm hurting this morning too, and feel a bit empty about next week, but some of the stuff on here, is a little harsh I think. Without doubt still got my support at least until the end of the season. Constantly changing managers gets you nowhere fast. Cmon boys, try get the happy clapper heads on a wee bit, at least just for the atmosphere at ER next week!

archiebald
30-07-2010, 07:32 AM
Think some of the stuff is a little OTT on here today. Gotta remember, they did score 2 wonder goals last night. To be fair, I agree re. ant n deeks, and defo over playing in the midfield. But on another night, we could've scraped a 1-0 or nil 0-0. I do think it was right to go 4-5-1, but should've been stokes up top and deeks wide left. Everyone has mentioned they are our goalscorers, but they are also better than your rankins/mcbride/nish in that they can beat a man and keep possession, something we struggled to do in the opposition half.

I'm hurting this morning too, and feel a bit empty about next week, but some of the stuff on here, is a little harsh I think. Without doubt still got my support at least until the end of the season. Constantly changing managers gets you nowhere fast. Cmon boys, try get the happy clapper heads on a wee bit, at least just for the atmosphere at ER next week!
He will be gone by christmas (cert) told you so

TObeachesHibby
30-07-2010, 07:33 AM
it is not OTT..... it is the same old same old.. all of the previous posters have made valid points which are relevant to this season which are the same as tactical issues & performance "dips" of last season.
What is also worth noting is the extended preseason training & friendlies that were planned to avoid this situation... fat lot of good that did :rolleyes:

SquashedFrogg
30-07-2010, 07:36 AM

Have to agree mate. Watched most of the game last night and have to say that they were actually a good team. We didn't get thumped by a team of part-time fishermen here, they looked good.

Alright, some could pick flaws in the line-up but overall we can have no real complaints.

Couldn't believe some of the threads on here last night after the game, very poor. One game, one defeat and before you know it the doom and gloomers are straight back onto their keyboards going mental.

It's actually been quite refreshing not having any sack the manager/rankin's pash/nish has two left feet threads over the summer.

FWIW I actually thought we played well at times and were just undone by a better team. The thing is aswell, I thought Murray was our poorest player (yet again) but I wouldn't expect him to get slaughtered (coz he's a proper Hibby blah, blah, blah)

C'mon troops, keep the peckers up! We've got plenty to look forward to this coming season so lets not get too down after one result.

IWasThere2016
30-07-2010, 07:37 AM

I have resisted commenting but there is just too much right IMHO about this post above to acknowledge

Well said Beefster :agree:

:boo hoo:

Stew the Hibee
30-07-2010, 07:39 AM
It may also be worth remembering that this was Yogi's first ever match in Europe. The most recent way a Scottish team has succeeded in Europe is by defensive tactics, which saw a very average Rangers side make the UEFA cup final. I can't say it for certain, but did Smith not leave their best striker in Boyd out for most of that campaign? I agree that it went wrong yesterday, but I don't quite see what else he is to do?

Hogg - maybe not the best defender, but how many people have said he did the right thing by putting Bamba in his place? That leaves us with Stephens, and it would be madness to give him his first competitive start in a Europa League match.

Rankin - Through the second half of last season, many people commented on Rankin's determination and grit. He has quite an engine on him, and is seen to be quite a battling midfielder, just chasing the opposition down etc.

Nish - In a 4-5-1 I understand why Nish was played to be honest. Stokes is a great goalscorer, but hasn't quite got the physique to play upfront on his own. Whilst he isn't our best striker by any stretch of the imagination, he is the most suited to playing upfront on his own.

hibsbollah
30-07-2010, 07:44 AM

Agree completely. Sometimes the result doesnt get over how bad things are. Losing 3-0 is bad, but in Europe against an unknown quantity, occasionally understandable. Losing 3-0 with Nish, Rankin and Hogg as the players you need to rely on is madness. We're now something like 3 wins out of 17 in competitive games, with a manager that is tactically inept, unable to attract replacements for our substandard players, and has shown time and time again he's unable to change anything on the pitch when things go wrong.

The photo of Yogi doing his 'mad nutter dance on the touchline' in the Scotsman this morning:boo hoo:

zlatan
30-07-2010, 07:45 AM
The difference with that though Stew is that hun team were a well organised unit that conceded few goals, whereas the last time we tried to play defensive was when we were 6-2 up at Fir Park with 25 minutes left...

Posted this last night on the PM board but will throw my 2 cents up here as welll;

I do agree lots of the comments are OTT but after that starting line up and peformance tonight the fans are more than entitled to question the thought process behind it, months of frustration are bursting out of folk after the shambolic performances to date this year.

The folk that were at the games in Holland all expressed concern at the tactics being tested out in all three games, one also pointed out that of the 3 goals scored 2 were free kicks and the third was a rebound from a free kick. To then drop the person that hit those free kicks was just staggering. I never seen the Dunfermline or QotS matches but it would be interesting to know if he were trying that same tippy tap around the back crap in those matches.

I also felt that last season we barely played a good passing game bar the odd match, that featured Zemmama, so to then focus on it in our own half with the same back 4 and midfield, bar two, in such a big game was also odd to say the least. How worrying was it last season whenever we were watching Hogg, a full back and a goalkeeper knock it betweem themselves with an opponent chasing? It was horrendous to watch and a mistake always looked inevitable every time which we seen tonight at the 2nd goal. We should've stuck to what go us into Europe last season with the 4-something-something-Nish formation that got us 4th place imo. Personally I also wouldn't have had Stack near the team either, but that's just me as I think he's a very limited goalkeeper. Wotherspoon has also never played a senior game on the left either so tonight was hardly the time to experiment with that, especially with Riordan, or even Galbraith (what must he be thinking now he's looked upon as 3rd choice at left wing), sitting on the bench.

Maribor may be ahead but they only just played the 2nd game of their season at the weekend so it isn't exactly the millions miles ahead excuse we were using when it was the Scandinavians boabing us home and away. Tonights result was simply down to the managers poor set up which ultimately cost us, that may be down to naivety and inexperience but based on what I've seen since January I'm not convinced.

erskine-hibby
30-07-2010, 07:47 AM
It may also be worth remembering that this was Yogi's first ever match in Europe. The most recent way a Scottish team has succeeded in Europe is by defensive tactics, which saw a very average Rangers side make the UEFA cup final. I can't say it for certain, but did Smith not leave their best striker in Boyd out for most of that campaign? I agree that it went wrong yesterday, but I don't quite see what else he is to do?

Hogg - maybe not the best defender, but how many people have said he did the right thing by putting Bamba in his place? That leaves us with Stephens, and it would be madness to give him his first competitive start in a Europa League match.

Rankin - Through the second half of last season, many people commented on Rankin's determination and grit. He has quite an engine on him, and is seen to be quite a battling midfielder, just chasing the opposition down etc.

Nish - In a 4-5-1 I understand why Nish was played to be honest. Stokes is a great goalscorer, but hasn't quite got the physique to play upfront on his own. Whilst he isn't our best striker by any stretch of the imagination, he is the most suited to playing upfront on his own.

You have to be half decent ,defensively, to play this way though.....we aint.

Ed De Gramo
30-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Christ, there's a barrage of spraff merchants on here.

Get behind Yogi instead of sticking the knife in at any given opportunity

TObeachesHibby
30-07-2010, 07:51 AM
I think the point is being missed here. It is all very well noting how other teams play away or in Europe, but the fact remains Hibs do not have the players with the ability & adaptability to play a 4-5-1 . The midfield is not good enough to protect a fragile/slow defence. Therefore , why not play a system that the players are comfortable with? After all it might work and the team is hardly likely to advance even upto/beyond the group stages....

erskine-hibby
30-07-2010, 07:52 AM

As has been mentioned, it is Hibs we support not any particular manager.
As for sticking the knife in, Yogi is doing that pretty well on his own.

zlatan
30-07-2010, 07:53 AM

Sticking the knife in is one or two line posts such as 'Yogi gtf' or 'he's an idiot and must leave now'. Most of this thread 3 page long thread is well thought out posts raising genuine concerns about the management team based on 7 months of incompetency and woeful results. That's a worry.

BSEJVT
30-07-2010, 07:58 AM
Its worrying, there is no doubt about it.

We dont have the players to play Hughes's much vaunted passing game and certainly dont have the pace to release players behind a defence already in place to counter that threat.

I have been very critical of Hughes in the past, but we simply cant keep changing manager's as often as we have.

Hughes IMO is going back to the Collins approach of passing it around, this worked well for Collins until it imploded spectacularly before he left. That's not to say there werent many scary moments along the way.

The difference is that I think the group of players Collins had were far better individually and more suited and capable of playing that game than the current batch ever will be.

We simply must play to our current strengths and to do that the formation must suit the players available not vice versa.

That means Stokes & Riordan must play and everyone else's job is to give them the ball in a position they can score from.

The defence is hugely concerning Murray I am afraid is past it, Hogg isnt up to it and never has been Hanlon is still too slight and inexperienced. Hart I cant comment upon.

Hughes needs to stop fannying around with "total football" and shut the back door pronto, for me that means 2 new CH and a left back.

He is also to be congratulated on signing 3 mediocre goalies, none of whom is better or worse than the other.

It could be a very trying season to come.

GGTTH

allezsauzee
30-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Who is it we are going to be replacing Yogi with that is going to be a tactical genius again?....i don't see Wenger, Ferguson, etc battering down the door to join Hibs...as for preferring Mixu as manager, that might be the most riduclous comment I've ever read on this board.:grr:

Stew the Hibee
30-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Again though people could easily dispute the defensive criticisms. Whilst the defending went into freefall in the 2nd half of last season, during the first half we had one of the best defensive records in Britain. 3/4 of those in the back four during that period played yesterday, albeit one played in midfield.

ahibby
30-07-2010, 08:19 AM
I don't agree with bashing Nish, Rankin and Hogg. I am not convinced that last nights result or the poor run since January was down to players. The blame has to stop at Yogi and his management team. If the tactics had been different last night then those players mentioned may well have figured in a Hibs team which came away with a far better result and perhaps people wouldn't have been slagging them or the manager. However the tactics and team talk were evidently lacking, blame the manager not the players.

Dr Jimmy
30-07-2010, 09:02 AM
The manager should have been binned towards the end of last season and we are now going to pay the price for this lack of judgement. He is a good guy and was a good player for us and I was really hoping he could have been the manager we needed. Unfortunately he is not and his continued involvement with this team is going to see us head backwards at a rate of knots.
His team selection are baffling at best and at times are ridiculous, his substitutions look to have been planned before games (Rankin or Stevenson off after 60 mins) and can often lead to games being lost (Ross County at ER) and his failure to change a game or react to a problem is unbelievable (Hearts at ER & PBS, Hamilton, St J, Motherwell etc etc). His continual use of players out of their position is incredible and his lack of movement to strengthen the areas we desperately need to improve is lamentable. The complete crap he spouts about "the lads were fantastic" only serves to show him as a man pretending to be a manager with no clue as to how to actually be one. That added to the fact that the players feel they can talk to him as they wish and shout back at him during games shows he does not have their respect.
Sorry Yogi, but your record last season (despite falling into Europe against Dun Utd reserves) and the result last night means you must go and go now.

We need to act now as I really fear for us next year.

Hibernia Na Eir
30-07-2010, 09:26 AM
including our scouting network too. They are hopeless. Hibs always get the crap players, why is this?

Holmesdale Hibs
30-07-2010, 10:41 AM
I’ve always tried to give Yogi the benefit of the doubt and, despite a few dodgy results, I’ve never been on here calling for him to be sacked.

However… last night was the worst Hibs team selections I can remember. Leaving Stokes and Riordan on the bench, who were both in the top 6 SPL goal scorers last year and are arguably our best players, must have given a massive boost to Maribor before kick-off. Imagine a Euro team coming to ER for the first leg and not picking their 2 top goal scorers. So much for Yogi’s ‘we will always score goals’ philosophy. I could understand us playing defensively if we had a decent defence record but, as we’ve all agreed on, this is far from the case.

While I’m on here, the criticism of Rankin is OTT. Not a great player by any means but his ball winning and chasing down is an important contribution to the team and probably more of a contribution than we get from a few others. I accept we should aspire for more but, until we get it, Rankin will continue to deserve his place in the team. His commitment should be commended and if his workrate rubbed off on a few others we would be in better shape.

ScottB
30-07-2010, 12:18 PM
What I find bizarre is that Hughes seems to have a much larger number of fans backing him than Mixu, why is that? Is it purely people clinging to the dream that early last season is how things will be under Hughes?

Put simply, he has had the largest budget of any Hibs manager since McLeish and we finished, what, 6 points better than a total that was good enough to have Mixu out on his ass. He presided over the worst run of form in our clubs history and some shocking individual results. All the while complaining he needed yet more new players.

Well here we are, the new season has begun and despite new players we were murder. The same picking the wrong players or playing folk out of position, the same rubbish tactics and the same utter inability to recognise that the tactics aren't working and change the game. I don't care if he's never managed in a European game before, these are basic skills that he appears to simple not have! It was glaringly obvious that things weren't going right early on, yet it was, what, the 70th minute before he finally made a change?

For me, I want to see an improvement in performance, tactics and results by the end of September or he should be sacked. With a weakened Old Firm and the rest of the league very tight we can't afford another run of 'form' like the one he took us on in the second half of last season.

Dr Jimmy
30-07-2010, 01:03 PM
What I find bizarre is that Hughes seems to have a much larger number of fans backing him than Mixu, why is that? Is it purely people clinging to the dream that early last season is how things will be under Hughes?

Put simply, he has had the largest budget of any Hibs manager since McLeish and we finished, what, 6 points better than a total that was good enough to have Mixu out on his ass. He presided over the worst run of form in our clubs history and some shocking individual results. All the while complaining he needed yet more new players.

Well here we are, the new season has begun and despite new players we were murder. The same picking the wrong players or playing folk out of position, the same rubbish tactics and the same utter inability to recognise that the tactics aren't working and change the game. I don't care if he's never managed in a European game before, these are basic skills that he appears to simple not have! It was glaringly obvious that things weren't going right early on, yet it was, what, the 70th minute before he finally made a change?

For me, I want to see an improvement in performance, tactics and results by the end of September or he should be sacked. With a weakened Old Firm and the rest of the league very tight we can't afford another run of 'form' like the one he took us on in the second half of last season.

I see no reason to wait that long, as the manager simply is not good enough, end of. Waiting until September will only prolong the inevitable, the "give him time" argument for Yogi is no different to saying give a crap player time and he will become a good one, we all know this does not happen and time will not make Yogi a manager.

Apart from that I agree with your post.

hibiedude
30-07-2010, 01:07 PM
I watched the game in Malta and I have to say to the people who still back this clown- Get A Grip as said many times last season yogi hasn't a clue and for those who wish to have a dig please explain were we have improved from last season

Joe Baker II
30-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Have not read most of posts above but hope no one is defending the manager here. Although there is plenty wrong with the general people running Hibs I had no real problem with Hughes until I heard the team selection last night but do we really want someone:

who got his team totally wrong in the first game he has had where it really mattered - not playing your 2 players most likely to score goals in game where scoring essential takes some doing!

and whose teams overall performance made embarassed to be a Scottish football fan, let alone Hibs fan. And this against a team who in all likelihood will go out in next round.

Joe Baker II
30-07-2010, 02:00 PM
We could do with a new CB, LB and CF. That pair found Murphy, Jones and Killen, amongst others. But to be honest I'm not sure I could deal with another manager with high footballing principles. I just want a manager that knows how to win, and wants to win above all else.

That would be the best option, II stress though IF they were interested, before anyone mentions Dnipro we did not play too badly, score did not reflect performance and they were better team than NK Maribor.

Hibs90
30-07-2010, 02:26 PM
I'd give him until Christmas.

.Sean.
30-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Yogi should have went after the Hamilton Debacle. He certainly should have went after the Motherwell scandal.

At the end of the day tho when you are relying on players like Hogg, Nish, Rank, McBride and Miller you are in for trouble. Mediocre at best.

Most of these players have been at the club for a few years and generally finish 6th with the odd 4th place.
Good grief. Granted he wasn't at his best, but mediocre? Read some pish on here but...:hilarious

You think?

And the award for post of the day goes to Gramo :top marks

allezsauzee
30-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Yogi has had 1 full season and we finished 4th...how does that compare to the other managers we've had at Easter Road in the last 30 years?

Cracker
30-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Ex- Hibs player,Ex-Hibs captain-"Soon Ex-Hibs Manager" :grr:

Gerard
30-07-2010, 05:18 PM
It wouyld be easy to sack John Hughes and his management team. Rod Petrie would agree a financial package and then who would we want to see replace JH and his team? John Hughes should be given at least another year to see if he can make Hibs a better team.
Gerard:wink:

BSEJVT
30-07-2010, 05:46 PM
It wouyld be easy to sack John Hughes and his management team. Rod Petrie would agree a financial package and then who would we want to see replace JH and his team? John Hughes should be given at least another year to see if he can make Hibs a better team.
Gerard:wink:

I agree

I have severe reservations about whether Hughes is up to the job or not, but for getting us to 4th place last year he deserves at least another year. For that year he should get our support.

The alternative is that as a support we start verbally battering hell out each other on a dailly basis for the next year

We simply cant keep changing managers as we have. I wonder if this "playing the hibs way" is a millstone around succesive managers necks? When they would be better off playing a different formation until they had the proper players to play the one they wished they could.