PDA

View Full Version : Match Updates Maribor 3 v Hibs 0 FT

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Big Frank
29-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Yam Fud cos my post count is low get a ***xin grip you sad prick!

Away and throw ***** ate yersel

Sweep
29-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Im angry. :grr: Im angry for the guys who went to all the trouble to go there and im angry for the fans who couldnt make it. Although not much is known about this team ( Maribor) it doesnt hide the fact that our MAIN strikeforce was left on the bench. No away goals will cost us dear at ER come next thursday. This result is not good enough. when there is no europe for us. We need new players at hibs. We have signed one midfielder and a right back of any note and an under 19 defender and people are happy. I fear the worst for next season. :grr::grr::grr:

young dougie
29-07-2010, 09:26 PM
We still need a goalie, a centre half and at least one holding mid-field player. Was Yogi on holiday during the world cup? Three dwarves in the middle of the park would be ok, aka Spain but they need to be able to pass to the guy that is wearing the same colour of strip as them.

hibsboy90
29-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Just back at the hotel in maribor. So pissed off it's unbelievable.

The set up of 4-5-1 was understandable. But we don't have the midfield to play it. You have 2 players who can unlock defences on the bench until 70m, by which stage we're 3 down.

Yogi, just waits too long before making any changes. Individual errors cost us goals, but at the end of the day, we were completely outclassed. 3-0 was a deserved scoreline, but once the 3rd went in, the only thing we could do to salvage a hope at ER was score, but that didn't even look remotely probable.

ionahibby
29-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Im angry. :grr: Im angry for the guys who went to all the trouble to go there and im angry for the fans who couldnt make it. Although not much is known about this team ( Maribor) it doesnt hide the fact that our MAIN strikeforce was left on the bench. No away goals will cost us dear at ER come next thursday. This result is not good enough. when there is no europe for us. We need new players at hibs. We have signed one midfielder and a right back of any note and an under 19 defender and people are happy. I fear the worst for next season. :grr::grr::grr:

:agree: agreed with the exception of maybe de graaf the calibre of player we have signed really isn't good enough :grr:

RMQ1967
29-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Sharp? Yeah they looked sharp when they were playing passy on the edge of their own box whith the opposition players about 20 yards away! If we were sharp we wouldnt have given the ball away so much!

I agree with you, there was never 3 in it, there should have been more, they had plenty oportunities to get more, not to mention the couple of very good chances they had before they scored.

It never amazes me how some "supporters" cant see when things are wrong because they wont have a bad word said about anything to do with their team. IMO its people being realistic and not people just putting it down to another bad day at the office!

The 2nd half of last season was a disaster - we were pathetic & I believe Yogi should have walked after the 6-6 game.

New season however & time to wipe the slate clean - I seen more positives in tonights game than I've seen in any this year. It's our first competetive game - give the guys a break ffs!

They're trying to play the game the right way & we might take a few bloody noses & Yogi might get the bullet but fundamentally it's the right way forward!!

HFC 0-7
29-07-2010, 09:45 PM
The 2nd half of last season was a disaster - we were pathetic & I believe Yogi should have walked after the 6-6 game.

New season however & time to wipe the slate clean - I seen more positives in tonights game than I've seen in any this year. It's our first competetive game - give the guys a break ffs!

They're trying to play the game the right way & we might take a few bloody noses & Yogi might get the bullet but fundamentally it's the right way forward!!

Give the guys a break? I am! Its the manager I am pointing the finger at. The players are capable of winning that game, but not if the manager leaves the best ones on the bench and plays so negative it invites pressure, when as you say, its our first competative match!

we did not try and play the game the correct way tonight, yes you have to be cautious but tonight was far to negative. To play the way Yogi wanted us to do would have required a lot better players. Yogi needs to see the dquad of players and use a system that suits them and the game.

Yogi has a vision of playing amazing attractive football, but the reality is we dont have the players to do it. He needs to use the strengths we have in the team which definately is not inviting pressure onto our weak defence!

PapillonVert
29-07-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm sorry, i didn't see the game or even follow it on Hibs.net but, if I may, I would like to add a very general comment about the Scottish game and our participation in Europe. This follows on also from the result for Celtic game last night.

We have often had discussions/debates on here about Scottish players and their attitude versus that of players from overseas.

We still seem to place a great deal of support behind the old-fashioned "get-intae-thum-whaes-like-us" type of game. The old Scottish passion and give-it-yer-all and that'll dae.

Let's face it: the football world has moved on. Nowadays, it's technical ability and high standards of preparation and lifestyle that win out in every area.

We have in short been left behind and our refusal to accept a changed reality leaves us in this situation where we just can't seem to believe that "small" countries like Slovenia can beat us at the game which we invented.

Well, yes, they can. Because they have taken the game and embraced the fact that it is a professional sport and if you want to succeed at it you have to be totally and uncompromisingly professional in your every approach to it. In all areas. Coaching, lifestyle, whole attitude. Everything.

Sorry if this comes over as a bit of a rant but I do really believe that Scottish football is very much in the slow lane and backward in adapting to the reality of what is required for any kind of success in today's game. We have gone totally backwards and need to re-organise from top to bottom.

The Silver Fox
29-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Yogi made a tactical blunder tonight and he will hold his hands up. Hibs should have approached the game a bit more positively and despite having the majority of possession in the earlier part of the game they were made fool of and the manager has to take it on the chin. If they are going to play a passing game and keep possession then make sure you can actually carry it off.

3-0 is too big to turn over, 3-1 would have been so much better and given some hope.

Would Hibs have set up against Rangers or Celtic like that? Answer no, so why against Maribor? If you are too scared to play in Europe why bother.

HFC 0-7
29-07-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm sorry, i didn't see the game or even follow it on Hibs.net but, if I may, I would like to add a very general comment about the Scottish game and our participation in Europe. This follows on also from the result for Celtic game last night.

We have often had discussions/debates on here about Scottish players and their attitude versus that of players from overseas.

We still seem to place a great deal of support behind the old-fashioned "get-intae-thum-whaes-like-us" type of game. The old Scottish passion and give-it-yer-all and that'll dae.

Let's face it: the football world has moved on. Nowadays, it's technical ability and high standards of preparation and lifestyle that win out in every area.

We have in short been left behind and our refusal to accept a changed reality leaves us in this situation where we just can't seem to believe that "small" countries like Slovenia can beat us at the game which we invented.

Well, yes, they can. Because they have taken the game and embraced the fact that it is a professional sport and if you want to succeed at it you have to be totally and uncompromisingly professional in your every approach to it. In all areas. Coaching, lifestyle, whole attitude. Everything.

Sorry if this comes over as a bit of a rant but I do really believe that Scottish football is very much in the slow lane and backward in adapting to the reality of what is required for any kind of success in today's game. We have gone totally backwards and need to re-organise from top to bottom.

Although I agree with you about the state of scottish football it wasnt the reason for tonights performance. Playing a system that players cant play is the problem, leaving the 2 best goal scoring threats on the bench is the problem. Maribor didnt look that gifted to be honest, they just looked like a team playing the game the way they normally do, not a team that had been shifted around, missing their best players and trying to pass the ball 40 times before attempting to get it into the opposition half!

RMQ1967
29-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Give the guys a break? I am! Its the manager I am pointing the finger at. The players are capable of winning that game, but not if the manager leaves the best ones on the bench and plays so negative it invites pressure, when as you say, its our first competative match!

we did not try and play the game the correct way tonight, yes you have to be cautious but tonight was far to negative. To play the way Yogi wanted us to do would have required a lot better players. Yogi needs to see the dquad of players and use a system that suits them and the game.

Yogi has a vision of playing amazing attractive football, but the reality is we dont have the players to do it. He needs to use the strengths we have in the team which definately is not inviting pressure onto our weak defence!

I believe we do have the players to play pretty good football & you could see some of that coming together - really ask yourself - would Stokes & Riordan have prevented Wotherspoon waltzing back towards his penalty box when it was easier to go forward or Hanlon from passing cross-field to one of their players under no pressure?

The problem wasn't the goals we didn't score it was very basic & preventable errors that cost us & surely you can't blame Yogo for that.

We all want to see the young players coming through but you need to accept they're going to screw up from time to time.

HFC 0-7
29-07-2010, 10:13 PM
I believe we do have the players to play pretty good football & you could see some of that coming together - really ask yourself - would Stokes & Riordan have prevented Wotherspoon waltzing back towards his penalty box when it was easier to go forward or Hanlon from passing cross-field to one of their players under no pressure?

The problem wasn't the goals we didn't score it was very basic & preventable errors that cost us & surely you can't blame Yogo for that.

We all want to see the young players coming through but you need to accept they're going to screw up from time to time.

Stokes are riordan would have presented a threat which would have changed the whole shape of them team, for a start, if Riordan was playing Wotherspoon wouldnt have been there!

You part answer my point, Hanlon and Wotherspoon made errors, but why did they make errors? Wotherspoon is playing out of position and is very young, when we have natural players for that position on the bench. Its down to Yogi for me, he drops our best players to the bench, he plays players out of position and makes us play in a way that invites pressure in our first competative game, away from home in one of our most important games of the season. Why not try and make the players comfortable and play them in the correct positions and let them play to their abilities?

Yes we made mistakes tonight but the fact is they could have and should have been 2 up before they scored their first. Stack pulled off 2 or 3 very good saves, we could have been totally pumped tonight!

Why leave Riordan on the bench?

Why leave Stokes on the bench?

When play Wothrspoon out of position when we have Galbraith?

Why play so negative?

Why play a formation that offers no width?

Why player a forward up front that has never shown that he is good up front with no support?

Why wait until we are 3 down before changing things?

PapillonVert
29-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Although I agree with you about the state of scottish football it wasnt the reason for tonights performance. Playing a system that players cant play is the problem, leaving the 2 best goal scoring threats on the bench is the problem. Maribor didnt look that gifted to be honest, they just looked like a team playing the game the way they normally do, not a team that had been shifted around, missing their best players and trying to pass the ball 40 times before attempting to get it into the opposition half!

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of the team formation. Yeah, that's a puzzler, was Yogi hoping we would hold on for 0-0 or 0-1. Very strange.

SRHibs
29-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Fair enough, I wasn't aware of the team formation. Yeah, that's a puzzler, was Yogi hoping we woudl hold on for 0-0 or 0-1. Very strange.
I think in Yogi's own words, the objective was to come back with "something to hang on to". Hardly the kind of thought process that's going to instill confidence in the team.:rolleyes:

ballengeich
29-07-2010, 10:28 PM

I agree that this evening's result is consistent with the general results of Scottish clubs in recent years. The downward trend seems to have accelerated in the last two seasons.

silverhibee
29-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Yogi made a tactical blunder tonight and he will hold his hands up. Hibs should have approached the game a bit more positively and despite having the majority of possession in the earlier part of the game they were made fool of and the manager has to take it on the chin. If they are going to play a passing game and keep possession then make sure you can actually carry it off.

3-0 is too big to turn over, 3-1 would have been so much better and given some hope.

Would Hibs have set up against Rangers or Celtic like that? Answer no, so why against Maribor? If you are too scared to play in Europe why bother.

Are you sure about that.

RMQ1967
29-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Stokes are riordan would have presented a threat which would have changed the whole shape of them team, for a start, if Riordan was playing Wotherspoon wouldnt have been there!

You part answer my point, Hanlon and Wotherspoon made errors, but why did they make errors? Wotherspoon is playing out of position and is very young, when we have natural players for that position on the bench. Its down to Yogi for me, he drops our best players to the bench, he plays players out of position and makes us play in a way that invites pressure in our first competative game, away from home in one of our most important games of the season. Why not try and make the players comfortable and play them in the correct positions and let them play to their abilities?

Yes we made mistakes tonight but the fact is they could have and should have been 2 up before they scored their first. Stack pulled off 2 or 3 very good saves, we could have been totally pumped tonight!

Why leave Riordan on the bench?

Why leave Stokes on the bench?

When play Wothrspoon out of position when we have Galbraith?

Why play so negative?

Why play a formation that offers no width?

Why player a forward up front that has never shown that he is good up front with no support?

Why wait until we are 3 down before changing things?

Most people who seen Maribor commented they looked a pretty sharp outfit - Yogi would have been slaughtered if he'd set up not to keep it tight. I think we matched them pretty well - the difference was they didn't make basis errors around their own box - that's a fact.

You can debate all the why's & what-if's but at the end of the day if ma granny had baws & all that :)

The fact is our young players made decisions they should never have made & no matter what position they play & that's cost us big time - you'll never make a case that it's the managers fault that Spoony waltz's back into the danger area with the ball or Hanlon passes cross field without looking where he's kicking it.

They made mistakes & topefully they'll learn from those but to blame Yogi for them doesn't stack up.

Westie1875
29-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Are you sure about that.

He should, leaving both Riordan & Stokes out was suicide.

TheEastTerrace
29-07-2010, 10:47 PM

Couldn't agree more. The sad, extremely depressing, fact is that it'll never change with the current incumbents running the SFA, SPL, SFL, etc. Too many jobs for the boys on cushty numbers.

Players' attitudes and lifestyles in this country are not of professional footballers in the modern age either. They drink, smoke, eat poor diets, go out on the lash. Pathetic. The Cameron House debacle summed up the attitude and behavior of the modern Scottish player. They think they are the real deal. In world terms, they are all gash, with the exception of one or two

I genuinely think the game is dead and buried in this country. Some might say that's a total over-reaction but my response is 'well, what's there to be optimistic about?' and I've thought this for a while now.

Rank rotten, dull, boring league dominated by two teams, poor standard of player and football overall, over-inflated cost of attending football, too many journeymen claiming to be footballers picking up wages that we fund, collapsed TV deals, reduced income from TV, crap crowds, *****e national team, poor youth development, clubs in unsustainable debt, no interest from investors, I could go on and on.

Make no bones about it, Scottish football is teetering at the edge of the abyss, if it hasn;t already fallen in.

Sad. Depressing.

IWasThere2016
29-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Well said moff - our game is dying on its feet!

Dalianwanda
29-07-2010, 11:45 PM
:top marks from what has been said before it takes someone to try & make a change..I think we are trying that but dont have the players to do it yet..I personally think we have to stick at it and over the next few years I think something great might happen...Any sport played if theres a change in style it takes time..You dont just change swing & become a good golfer..For football to have changed through the years it takes teams to change their style..Stick with the principles & from that over time a team develops, habits develop...If we change nothing or go back to how we were then that only gives us the same results (which werent that great)

HFC 0-7
30-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Most people who seen Maribor commented they looked a pretty sharp outfit - Yogi would have been slaughtered if he'd set up not to keep it tight. I think we matched them pretty well - the difference was they didn't make basis errors around their own box - that's a fact.

You can debate all the why's & what-if's but at the end of the day if ma granny had baws & all that :)

The fact is our young players made decisions they should never have made & no matter what position they play & that's cost us big time - you'll never make a case that it's the managers fault that Spoony waltz's back into the danger area with the ball or Hanlon passes cross field without looking where he's kicking it.

They made mistakes & topefully they'll learn from those but to blame Yogi for them doesn't stack up.

I see you avoided all my questions! Yes we made mistakes, but what about the rest of the time they had their chances. Fact is we werre pumped, mistakes or no mistakes, the way we set up invited pressure and invited as you say a sharper team onto us. Why would you invite a sharper team on their own patch to pressure you. By all means play with one up front, but make it a player that can make chances for himself or at least hold the ball up. Play 5 in midfield but get them to pass to each other not always pass back to the defence or at times when in the opposition half pass all the way back to the keeper!

You cant blame last nights result and performance on the players mistakes, you can however blame it on the manager for his rotten tactics. Yogi sees himself as some high profile manager, trying to play the game like Man U. Well Yogi, we are not Man U, Nish certainly isnt Rooney playing up top on his own, we were not playing a team worthy of being that negative!

HFC 0-7
30-07-2010, 07:47 AM
:top marks from what has been said before it takes someone to try & make a change..I think we are trying that but dont have the players to do it yet..I personally think we have to stick at it and over the next few years I think something great might happen...Any sport played if theres a change in style it takes time..You dont just change swing & become a good golfer..For football to have changed through the years it takes teams to change their style..Stick with the principles & from that over time a team develops, habits develop...If we change nothing or go back to how we were then that only gives us the same results (which werent that great)

That is a silly thing to say. So you want Yogi to persist and play away that the players cant? I am sorry but if we keep doing that we will get beat a lot and then we will have no money to try and bring the players in that can play that way.

You have to look at the players we have and play to their strengths, SLOWLY, changing the ethos and tactics, not just wake up one day , play a couple of games in holland and change the way we play when you know the players arent good enough!

Aubenas
30-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Just like to point out that the confusion on here points to the dilemma that a manager has when setting up for a game like this.
Half the posters are saying Yogi was too pessimistic and should have had more confidence in his team and attacked. The other half are saying we're p*sh and not good enough to live with Maribor.

What do you do?

I like Deek and Stokes but God knows there were enough games last season when I was screaming at them for being invisible. If they'd had games like that last night, Yogi's head would have been called for.

I understand what posters say about Rankin, Nish and Hogg - but who do we replace them with just now? I assume it's replacements for them that Yogi's trying to get. I'm not sure he's blindly loyal to players when there's an alternative. He brought Cregg with him but when we got Miller who was better he dumped him.

As others have said, the problem with Scottish football goes far beyond how good yer manager is.

At the risk of sounding like a Telegraph reader (problem with gettin older!), we have a society where a lot of young folk won't take responsibility for anything - litter, voting, looking out for neighbours etc. Even on these boards, it's quite depressing that the majority of posts about away travel are along the lines of 'Where can we get pished likes?

If you go to other countries, you find that people's attitudes to life are very different and far less nihilistic; and you would have to presume that this carries over into their approach to football.

If you try coaching even primary kids and you suggest skills work, it's a big sulk from most of them and 'Can we no just have a game?"

I'm not particularly trying to attack anyone nor even suggesting we have to eb different; just saying that the way we approach life in SCotland a lot of the time is not liable to produce good technical footballers!

:dunno:

Speedway
30-07-2010, 01:16 PM
what a ****ing goal,get in

Didn't feel it appropriate to mention it at the time but thought and still think that this post was extremely funny.

Baldy Foghorn
31-07-2010, 08:42 AM
game and tie over

How??????

An early goal and crowd behind team and it is game back on.... Pessimism at its worst from you:grr: