PDA

View Full Version : Any sign of the missing Summer Sol

Keith_M
26-07-2010, 12:23 AM
Does anyone know if Bamba has actually turned up yet, either at ER or the training camp?

The last I read, he promised he'd be arriving back from his extended holidays on Saturday so...

... has he or hasn't he? :dunno:

Hibby 2005
26-07-2010, 01:18 AM
Last I heard he was planning his nuptials with Bambi and about to supply the world with lots of little bambinos!

Niffy
26-07-2010, 07:00 AM
I know it nevers happens... but it would be the reserves if it was up to me.

Jim44
26-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Whatever happens now, Bamba has turned out to be really bad news. Why have him lurking about in the shadows, upsetting the players who want to be at ER as we approach the start of a new season? if I were Petrie, I'd arrange to have him quietly shipped out to the first half decent offer.

Woody1985
26-07-2010, 07:40 AM

The reserves were scrapped last season so we could just let him sit around and stagnate and get nout for him and the bounce games that are arranged would be put to best use with our youngsters..

Hibbyradge
26-07-2010, 07:40 AM

Hibs would lose out on a transfer fee and the team would lose out on an international footballer.

Lose, lose. But at least he gets punished. That'll show him.

I say, clear the air, learn from the mistakes(s) and move forward together. Keep playing him until the end of August in the hope his experience will help us qualify for the group stages then sell him if there is a fair bid has been received.

Win, win.

Hibbyradge
26-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Whatever happens now, Bamba has turned out to be really bad news. Why have him lurking about in the shadows, upsetting the players who want to be at ER as we approach the start of a new season? if I were Petrie, I'd arrange to have him quietly shipped out to the first half decent offer.

I'm glad you're not Petrie then, Jim.

What if it really was a misunderstanding?

Everyone occasionally does something wrong at their work? Did we always get sacked for mistakes or do we learn from them?

Shipping out to the "first half decent offer" isn't intelligent business.

Imagine the players who would have lost their careers in the past if they'd been sacked everytime a problem arose.

George Best would have played 1 game for us. Goodness knows how many times he was in trouble at Man U.

Gasgoine, Cantona, Keane etc etc etc.

Russel Latapy was booted from Hibs, but went on to have another 8 successful seasons in the SPL.

Wise decision by GJP, eh? Not in my book.

persevere1875
26-07-2010, 07:54 AM
George Best, Latapy, Cantona, Gascoigne, Keane...... Have a feeling young Mr Bamba isnt in the same league as these guys unfortunately, if he was he mights just have played a few games in the World Cup and deserved some time off

Jim44
26-07-2010, 08:23 AM

Everyone occasionally does something wrong at their work? Did we always get sacked for mistakes or do we learn from them?

Imagine the players who would have lost their careers in the past if they'd been sacked everytime a problem arose.

George Best would have played 1 game for us. Goodness knows how many times he was in trouble at Man U.

Russel Latapy was booted from Hibs, but went on to have another 8 successful seasons in the SPL.

I agree with you on the 'business' point to some extent, but still think that his influence and effect on the other players is undesirable. Secondly, to compare him to players who were huge in the game and worth fighting for is not an issue in Bamba's case.

lucky
26-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Hibs should make an example of him but the reality he is worth £1m in the transfer market and there is not a business in the world that would waste £1m asset for being missing for a week.

As such we should sell him on at the right price.

we are hibs
26-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Hibs should make an example of him but the reality he is worth £1m in the transfer market and there is not a business in the world that would waste £1m asset for being missing for a week.

As such we should sell him on at the right price.

why not offer him on loan to ***** clubs

Pretty Boy
26-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Hibs would lose out on a transfer fee and the team would lose out on an international footballer.

Lose, lose. But at least he gets punished. That'll show him.

I say, clear the air, learn from the mistakes(s) and move forward together. Keep playing him until the end of August in the hope his experience will help us qualify for the group stagesthen sell him if there is a fair bid has been received.

Win, win.

:agree:

I think people are letting their hearts rule their heads a little bit when it comes to Bamba.

IMO theres no doubt he deliberately didn't turn up, i don't buy this misunderstanding nonsense but for me a lot depends on his attitude when he does return. If he is willing to apologise, train hard and give his all if selected then a fine should be sufficient.

I think it's been pretty clear he has wanted to leave for a while now, i'm sure the situation could be resolved with Hibs telling him that should an acceptable offer come in then we will let him talk to the club interested.

For me it's not in Hibs interest either football wise or financially to have Bamba sitting in the stand and training with the youths.

easty
26-07-2010, 09:01 AM

I was sacked for mine!!

It'll get sorted out internally I reckon, he'll only be sold if a reasonable offer comes in. Otherwise, he'll perform as well as he can when Hughes puts him back in the team, Bamba wants to move on and he'll know that he has to be playing well to get a move to a decent side.

Hibbyradge
26-07-2010, 11:29 AM
George Best, Latapy, Cantona, Gascoigne, Keane...... Have a feeling young Mr Bamba isnt in the same league as these guys unfortunately, if he was he mights just have played a few games in the World Cup and deserved some time off

I agree with you on the 'business' point to some extent, but still think that his influence and effect on the other players is undesirable. Secondly, to compare him to players who were huge in the game and worth fighting for is not an issue in Bamba's case.

No, he clearly isn't as talented as those players, but the point is still valid.

Good management is good management. It doesn't depend on ability.

I'd rather have a skilled player in my team who occasionally gave me a discipline headache, than someone who is always polite, trains really well, does what he's told but doesn't offer anything different on a Saturday afternoon.

You'd have to get rid of Stokes and Riordan, by those standards.

11 boys who were little angels would never make a great football team, imo.

The Silver Fox
26-07-2010, 11:35 AM
He won't be the first or last player to have cost the club a lot of money.

Did Cardiff not offer £1m for Deek and he refused to go with Celtic giving us next to nothing for him later in the season by way of some paltry compensation payment. that deal must have had the Tache fizzing.

If he is not committed then Hibs should offload to the highest bidder. I would have thought the two Glasgow teams might have shown and interest but to be fair to Sol I'd rather see him go to a decent club.

rubber mal
26-07-2010, 11:41 AM

He was injured.

rubber mal
26-07-2010, 11:42 AM
why not offer him on loan to ***** clubs

Until his contract expires? Genius.

aberhibsfc
26-07-2010, 11:54 AM
I think it's best for both parties now for us to cash in and utilise any revenue to complete our squad with one or two more summer signings.

Yogi may have been planning to be without Bamba anyway when he was talking about shuffling his pack. Unfortunately no bids seem to have materialised.

--------
26-07-2010, 12:24 PM
No, he clearly isn't as talented as those players, but the point is still valid.

Good management is good management. It doesn't depend on ability.

I'd rather have a skilled player in my team who occasionally gave me a discipline headache, than someone who is always polite, trains really well, does what he's told but doesn't offer anything different on a Saturday afternoon.

You'd have to get rid of Stokes and Riordan, by those standards.

11 boys who were little angels would never make a great football team, imo.

:agree: Every team needs a bit of devil in it. Most of the great - REALLY great - players have given their managers a headache from time to time - it's the manager's job to get them on the field at kick-off ready to play. How many great names of Scottish football would we be missing if only good boys got to play professional football?

Bobby Johnstone, Willie Hamilton, Alex Edwards? IIRC even the great Pat Stanton was a bad boy from time to time? I wish - HOW I wish - McLeish had managed to sort things out and have Latas playing in that Cup Final. Yogi himself wan't exactly an angel in his own day.

It would be good if we could get Bamba back for the second leg 10 days from now - even if he's on the bench as a potential threat rather than starting.

Like you say - we should get him back to ER, sit down, clear the air, and get on with the work of winning football matches.

I remember Jim Baxter telling the story of how Rangers had a Cup Final replay (Wednesday night) against Celtic. Scott Symon told all the players to get a good night's sleep and be at Ibrox on time on the Wednesday morning for light training and a team talk. Baxter went for a pint, got involved in a poker game, and stayed up all night. He arrived at Ibrox on time, £3,000 the richer, and well hungover. He managed somehow to hide it, and played that night. Rangers won 3-0, and Symon was telling the players afterwards that this was what happened when they did as they were told and got a good night's sleep before the game. The players all fell about laughing, and Baxter had to own up. Symon's response? "Baxter, you're just (bleep) lucky we won!"

But of course, Slim Jim was never Hibs class.

Any more than Willie Hamilton was.....

Jim44
26-07-2010, 12:29 PM
He was injured.

It was reported that he was injured, but in his recent statement about being angry with Hibs, he said that had kept himself fit and ready to give his all for the Ivory Coast if called upon. :confused:

jgl07
26-07-2010, 12:36 PM
He was injured.
No selected is more accurate.