PDA

View Full Version : Hibs glory Euro nights

sunshine1875
24-07-2010, 09:19 PM
One for the old timers. :greengrin Which of the famous Hibs Euro nights was your favourite and why?

I have only been to a few Euro nights since the early 90's. None of which I would say were great games, with the possible exception of the AEK game. So I do wonder what the past glory nights would have been like to attend.

Go on lads, tell me a story!

lapsedhibee
24-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Didn't see the Barca match, so it's Hibs 5 Napoli 0 (http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Classic-Match-Hibs-5-.3907874.jp) for me. (Though there's an error in that report - Bobby Duncan's goal was from 125 yards out, not 25 yards. :agree:)

iwasthere1972
24-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Didn't see the Barca match, so it's Hibs 5 Napoli 0 (http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Classic-Match-Hibs-5-.3907874.jp) for me. (Though there's an error in that report - Bobby Duncan's goal was from 125 yards out, not 25 yards. :agree:)

My favourite European night also. Booby Duncan's goal wasn't from 125 yards out as I've seen a plaque outside John Lewis at the top of Leith Street which clearly reads "Bobby Duncan scored from this spot - 29 November 1967" :greengrin

Dino Zoff :bye:

ballengeich
24-07-2010, 10:36 PM
6-1 v Sporting. Scottish teams aren't expected to beat Portuguese teams like that.

Second best 1-0 v Liverpool. If John Brownlie's penalty had gone in and we'd elminated Liverpool from the first round of the 1975-6 UEFA cup which they won and used as a basis for the next 2 years of the European Cup, the entire history of European football could have been different.

lapsedhibee
24-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Booby Duncan's goal wasn't from 125 yards out as I've seen a plaque outside John Lewis at the top of Leith Street which clearly reads "Bobby Duncan scored from this spot - 29 November 1967"

Not sure if that's entirely accurate, as John Lewis would have been behind the bye-line that night. Perhaps the plaque commemorates Willie Hamilton's goal from 5 yards behind the bye-line in the PBS New Year's derby of 1965, a goal which sadly prevented our neighbours winning the league that season? :boo hoo:

hibsfan7
25-07-2010, 07:33 AM
HAS TO BE THE 6-1 WIN OVER SPORTING LISBON
DO YOU KNOW THAT HIBS HAVE NEVER LOST TO PORTUGESE TEAMS IN EUROPE
:top marks

ronaldo7
25-07-2010, 07:39 AM
Napoli for me. Down 4-1 from the first leg, I went to Easter Road that night just to see the Italians. Ran Hame over Abbeymount, and down to the Horse Wynd to tell my ma we had skelped them by 5 goals.

Next day at school...Who wants to be the Italians....Naebody

Everyone wanted to be Bobby Duncan:greengrin

franks
25-07-2010, 08:15 AM
I saw the Barca game but for me the 5-0 tanking of Napoli is my all time favourite, and that includes the famous 0-7 game.

No one gave Hibs a chance that night including I suggest the Hibs support. The Italians tried every trick in the book but couldn't live with Hibs fast paced one touch game. Incidentally Bobby's goal was his one and only first team goal for Hibs.

jdships
25-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Sorry !:greengrin
It has to be a "First equal"

Barca/Sporting Lisbon

Both in the " Will never forget for the rest of my life " category :thumbsup:

:flag:

Golden Bear
25-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Ok it was only a friendly a but for me it's got to be the Hibees memorable 2-O victory over the mighty Real Madrid in 1964.

Over 30,000 in Easter Road that night and the goalscorers were Peter Cormack and an own goal by Zoco.

Real Madrid were close to their very best in 1964 (beaten in the European Cup Final by Inter Milan only 6 months before they met Hibs). They fielded their full array of stars against Hibs that night but the brightest star on show was undoubtedly the genius in the green & white of the Hibees - the late, great Willie Hamilton.

I was just a boy at the time but the memories of that night will be with me forever.

CropleyWasGod
25-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Two games stand out for me, which were not glory nights as such.

The first Euro game I attended was the one against Hamburg in the 60's. We won the game (Uwe Seeler scored for them), drew the tie and lost on away goals. Three results in the one night that still had a wee boy baffled the next day.

The best one for atmosphere was the 0-0 against Leeds, where we went out on penalties. 40,000 fans in ER. We battered them for 120 minutes, Billy Bremner played the game of his life, and Paddy missed the vital penalty. Brilliant for atmosphere, but the usual Hibs heartbreak.

O'Rourke3
25-07-2010, 09:55 AM
The best one for atmosphere was the 0-0 against Leeds, where we went out on penalties. 40,000 fans in ER. We battered them for 120 minutes, Billy Bremner played the game of his life, and Paddy missed the vital penalty. Brilliant for atmosphere, but the usual Hibs heartbreak.

I was going to put this one down for all the same reasons. Other stand out my first. 6 -1 at home against Malmo with Joe McBride scoring a hat trick. Think this was my one and only Fairs Cup game.

banarc7062
25-07-2010, 10:40 AM

Had the pleasure of being at both games and Duncan's goal was outstanding. Bobby Kinloch against Barcelona was excellent as he and Baker had come out in each others numbered jerseys and Kinloch took the treatment Barca obviously had intended for Joe Baker. GGTTH

banarc7062
25-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Two games stand out for me, which were not glory nights as such.

The first Euro game I attended was the one against Hamburg in the 60's. We won the game (Uwe Seeler scored for them), drew the tie and lost on away goals. Three results in the one night that still had a wee boy baffled the next day.

I recall Bremner never left their penalty box and they changed keepers at half time.

HibbyDave
25-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Sporting 6-1 followed up with FC Besa 7-1!
Rosenburg 9-3
Leeds away 2x
Liverpool away
Dnipro away
Anderlecht away
Others ....................................

My wife has stopped me daydreaming for now but she'l never understand my true love with Hibernian

PeeJay
25-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Has to be 1967's Inter Cities Fairs Cup game against Napoli for me - 5-0. Bob Shankly wrote in his programme notes that we could win by the three goals that we needed and that we had not really deserved to lose the first leg by 4-1. Wasn't too sure myself, but ... Anyway, Shankly asked the Hibs fans to roar the team on - so we did and together we blew the Italians away!

I don't get to ER anymore but there's nothing I'd wish the younger Hibs fans more than regular European football against the best teams.

jakki
25-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Ok it was only a friendly a but for me it's got to be the Hibees memorable 2-O victory over the mighty Real Madrid in 1964.

Over 30,000 in Easter Road that night and the goalscorers were Peter Cormack and an own goal by Zoco.

Real Madrid were close to their very best in 1964 (beaten in the European Cup Final by Inter Milan only 6 months before they met Hibs). They fielded their full array of stars against Hibs that night but the brightest star on show was undoubtedly the genius in the green & white of the Hibees - the late, great Willie Hamilton.

I was just a boy at the time but the memories of that night will be with me forever.
That is the same for me. My Dad was really jealous that I had a ticket ( it was the first time I hadn't got a" lift over")He told me to watch the brilliance of Puskas but Willie Hamilton showed them up and of course my hero Peter Cormack scoring against the mighty Real was the icing on the cake. A brilliant game that I will relive for ever.:thumbsup:

delbert
25-07-2010, 03:19 PM
For me it was the night we destroyed Lisbon 6-1, 1-1 at half time after we had taken the lead so it was on knife edge. We were wearing the all green strip that night and the 2nd 45 minutes has to be one of the best I have ever witnessed, simply tore them apart, remember when the last one went in, an own goal, you could see from the Lisbon players body language they just did'nt know what had hit them. Even on nights when we were brilliant though we still managed to do it the difficult way, yes 9-1 against Rosenborg, but of course we had to let them go 1-0 up first, just to make it interesting. Can't forget being 2-1 up against Juventus as well at Easter Road, place was absolutely rocking after we had been 1-0 down, but then the Italians brought on Jose Altafini off the bench, just going into the twilight of his career but what a finisher, 2 goals put us in our place and they won 4-2 on the night, the guy was awesome. My dad was at the Barca game and simply said it was the most amazing 90+ minutes he ever saw on a football field, the Barca players went utterly berserk when Hibs got the penalty near the end, but who cares, what a result.

Eaststand
25-07-2010, 03:38 PM
6-1 v Sporting. Scottish teams aren't expected to beat Portuguese teams like that.

Second best 1-0 v Liverpool. If John Brownlie's penalty had gone in and we'd elminated Liverpool from the first round of the 1975-6 UEFA cup which they won and used as a basis for the next 2 years of the European Cup, the entire history of European football could have been different.

Aye that Liverpool EUFA cup game was a cracker and we played them off the park for long spells - my memory is that JB hit the ball well enough at the penalty but Clemence somehow got down low to get a hand to it
The game itself was great but I remember the chant Keegan wants his mammy being sung loud and clear to the wee man cos he'd left an England team training camp to go home to mum just before the game

GGTTH

Jonnyboy
25-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Mine is Hibs 5 Napoli 0

If you want to refresh your memory on any of the older games in Europe ....... :wink:

http://www.hibs.net/list.php?category/4-euro-adventures

Toaods
25-07-2010, 09:01 PM
1-0 v Liverpool.

Big team, big names and we beat them fair and square. Should have beaten them further and led at Annfield before going out to Toshack's best ever performance for the Reds.

sunshine1875
26-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Great reading of the past glory nights. Let's hope we are all able to witness some more this season too.

weecounty hibby
26-07-2010, 09:36 PM
These were all great nights and I'm sure I have the programmes from all of them and the stories all about them courtesy of my uncle. I grew up hearing about our glory nights in Europe and can't help feeling that we really should be there with Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen as a Scottish club to have won one of the Euro trophies. It also makes me a little depressed as it shows just how far we have sunk in European terms. Teams like Maribor should be ****ting themselves at playing Hibs but in reality will think they have had a pretty good draw. Lets hope this is the start of another good few years of putting in memorable performances year after year in Europe.

Alfred E Newman
26-07-2010, 09:45 PM
The games against Leeds were great occasions even though we went out both times in contoversial circumstances, but the highlight has to be Napoli for me. Closely followed by Sporting Lisbon.