PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Higgins dies

bringbackjoeT!!
24-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Ex snooker player Alex Higgins sadly passed away today after a long battle with throat cancer. Been very poorly looking for a number of years, but in his day a genius- sadly a troubled genius.

trev the hat
24-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Tribute to the double world champion flawed genius who has passed away following long term illness.

Thanks for the memories..

Still remember the banner at tynecastle.

Only Alex Higgins comes back from 0-7. Fantastic!!!

Toaods
24-07-2010, 07:15 PM
just been watching it on TV on the BBC news clips..

..anyone would be forgiven for thinking that is Joe T celebrating in the front of the crowd in one of the clips...check it our folks....80's hairdo and a two shades of blue jacket....:wink:

Toaods
24-07-2010, 07:17 PM
already on other thread....see my post .....:greengrin

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?188160-Hurricane-Higgins-dies&p=2523058#post2523058

trev the hat
24-07-2010, 07:23 PM
The Hurricane deserves 2 threads IMO..

Toaods
24-07-2010, 07:30 PM
The Hurricane deserves 2 threads IMO..

..it is Joe T though isn't it....:greengrin

BigKev
24-07-2010, 07:33 PM
RIP Alex.

Flawed genius but a character so sadly missing in many of todays sports.

trev the hat
24-07-2010, 07:37 PM
..it is Joe T though isn't it....:greengrin

Class !! just spotted him. :faf:

Toaods
24-07-2010, 07:38 PM
RIP Alex.

Flawed genius but a character so sadly missing in many of todays sports.

the type Mowbray looks for in 'cavalier'

the type Hughes often refers to in 'maverick'

...the type that always means style and flair lord it over dull and tactical bores in all walks of life.

The Silver Fox
24-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Sad to see someone so talented go downhill like he did. A true genius at snooker, and flawed like they all seem to be in sport.

Pretty Boy
24-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Not exactly a shock but very, very sad.

Another brilliant sportsman who unfortunately couldn't quite beat his demons.

RIP

trev the hat
24-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Sad to see someone so talented go downhill like he did. A true genius at snooker, and flawed like they all seem to be in sport.

Couldnt agree more. Used to love watching him on the box when i was a kid. Genuine raw talent and fascinating to watch.

God bless you Alex.

orourke
24-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Rest in peace !!!, you will be sadly missed

sunshine1875
24-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Met him once in a pub in Corfu circa 1987, at which time IIRC he had been banned by the snooker authorities. Came across as a guy who just wanted to have a laugh and was more than happy to talk to us.

Sergey
24-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Rest in peace !!!, you will be sadly missed

As someone who's met him on a couple of occasions, he won't be missed.

Sad that he's passed away, but he was the most dislikeable person you're ever likely to meet.

iwasthere1972
24-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Sad news although not at all surprised considering the lifestyle he led. IIRC he was talking about a comeback only about a month ago.

RIP Hurricane.

Toaods
24-07-2010, 09:35 PM
As someone who's met him on a couple of occasions, he won't be missed.

Sad that he's passed away, but he was the most dislikeable person you're ever likely to meet.

....amazingly, Dennis Taylor gave an interview to BBC and spoke quite warmly of how good a player the Hurrican was and their old rivalry from their youth.

Whan asked about the 'bullet with your name on it' story, Taylor dismissed that as a misunderstanding on the part of a passing official which had been reported and taken in the wrong way. Couldn't believe my ears as I can vividly recall watching a match between the pair many years ago at the inaugural World Team Cup they started and it was almost a square-go.

jgl07
24-07-2010, 09:41 PM
....amazingly, Dennis Taylor gave an interview to BBC and spoke quite warmly of how good a player the Hurrican was and their old rivalry from their youth.

Whan asked about the 'bullet with your name on it' story, Taylor dismissed that as a misunderstanding on the part of a passing official which had been reported and taken in the wrong way. Couldn't believe my ears as I can vividly recall watching a match between the pair many years ago at the inaugural World Team Cup they started and it was almost a square-go.
Why would they have been playing each other in the World Team Cup when both are from Northern Ireland?

Toaods
24-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Why would they have been playing each other in the World Team Cup when both are from Northern Ireland?

well, I was sort of right.....:greengrin.....

re Dennis Taylor:

He won the Benson & Hedges Masters in 1987, beating Alex Higgins 9–8 in the final. It was Higgins who once threatened to have Taylor shot after a row at the snooker World Cup in which the Northern Ireland team were beaten by Canada in the final. Taylor understandably took this threat seriously and the next time the two of them played, in the Irish Masters, Taylor was determined to win, which he did. The match was attended by a young Ken Doherty. He went on to reach the final of that tournament but, emotionally drained by the Higgins match, lost 9–4 to Davis. Taylor and Higgins were later reconciled.

Houchy
24-07-2010, 11:03 PM
RIP Alex Higgins. Absolutely loved the guy and was in tears of joy when he won the Championship in 1982, even though I was only 5. I think I still have him on VCR on "Wogan" the week after.

RIP Legend.:agree:

AFKA5814_Hibs
24-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Played Snooker at a time when the game was full of interesting characters, the heydays of the early 80's. RIP.

lucky
25-07-2010, 01:14 AM
For whose ho who said he was flawed ---your wrong.

He was the most entertaining and natural talent the game had seem in its hay day. The man was a legend as player but possibly not the best individual who walked the planet.

Personally I liked him.

RIP Alex, we all hope to walk the walk but you did.