PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Hibs programme you own/ Your Hibs programme collection?

.Sean.
24-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Well?

I've just been up the loft for the first time in years, I was wiring in an attic light for my Mum. Before I came down I had a rummage around and came across the programme collection. I haven't seen them since I was a wee lad. There are hundreds, if not thousands. I've been looking through them for hours!

The oldest I seem to have is versus Dundee at home, in November 1954. Thanks to http://www.ihibs.co.uk/ i've found that thegame was a 3-1 victory for the Hibees, Reilly scored two and Bobby Combe got the other. The full Famous Five played that day.

There's another few from the late sixties and loads from the seventies. Speaking to my Dad he says there will be pretty much a programme from every home game from the early eighties up until a couple years ago, when he stopped buying them. There are loads from away games aswell, there's even one from a friendly against Inverness Caledonian when Bertie Auld was the manager. It's basically a couple pieces of paper!

There's programmes from every final we've been in since the League Cup final in '72 and the majority of semi's.

There's even a programme from 1986. Dundee versus Hearts, the match was played at Dens Park! :greengrin My Uncle was at that one.

There are a few Scotland programmes from the late seventies and early eighties aswell. There are loads of England programmes aswell, a guy my Dad used to work with attended England games all over the world. I've got the programme from Beckham's debut versus Moldova. I've also got the France '98 official programme and all Englad tickets from that World Cup. Infact, there are hundreds of tickets i've yet to look through. There are also various newspapers from significant Hibs results/cup wins etc.

There's also a peculiar old scarf. It's bottle green with a few diagonal white stripes. it's a thin t-shirt-like material with creamy thick wool tassles. The badge on it reads 'Hibernian Football Supporters' and there is a shield with a thistle, a castle and a lion rampant.

None of them will ever be sold, purely for sentimental value.

It's fascinating stuff!! :agree: I'll be here for another couple hours yet. What's everyone else's programme collection like?

The Silver Fox
24-07-2010, 12:32 PM
What is the value of the programme for the 7-0 game?

I have one that wil never be sold but I'm curious as I haven't seen any on Ebay.

Pretty Boy
24-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Well?

I've just been up the loft for the first time in years, I was wiring in an attic light for my Mum. Before I came down I had a rummage around and came across the programme collection. I haven't seen them since I was a wee lad. There are hundreds, if not thousands. I've been looking through them for hours!

The oldest I seem to have is versus Dundee at home, in November 1954. Thanks to http://www.ihibs.co.uk/ i've found that thegame was a 3-1 victory for the Hibees, Reilly scored two and Bobby Combe got the other. The full Famous Five played that day.

There's another few from the late sixties and loads from the seventies. Speaking to my Dad he says there will be pretty much a programme from every home game from the early eighties up until a couple years ago, when he stopped buying them. There are loads from away games aswell, there's even one from a friendly against Inverness Caledonian when Bertie Auld was the manager. It's basically a couple pieces of paper!

There's programmes from every final we've been in since the League Cup final in '72 and the majority of semi's.

There's even a programme from 1986. Dundee versus Hearts, the match was played at Dens Park! :greengrin My Uncle was at that one.

There are a few Scotland programmes from the late seventies and early eighties aswell. There are loads of England programmes aswell, a guy my Dad used to work with attended England games all over the world. I've got the programme from Beckham's debut versus Moldova. I've also got the France '98 official programme and all Englad tickets from that World Cup. Infact, there are hundreds of tickets i've yet to look through. There are also various newspapers from significant Hibs results/cup wins etc.

There's also a peculiar old scarf. It's bottle green with a few diagonal white stripes. it's a thin t-shirt-like material with creamy thick wool tassles. The badge on it reads 'Hibernian Football Supporters' and there is a shield with a thistle, a castle and a lion rampant.

None of them will ever be sold, purely for sentimental value.

It's fascinating stuff!! :agree: I'll be here for another couple hours yet. What's everyone else's programme collection like?

I've got every home and away programme including friendlies, semi finals and finals from 1990 through 2002. After that my attendance at games all but stopped for about 18 months and for various reasons is still only about 15-20 games a season. I've also got programmes from every final we have been in since the 1958 Scottish Cup Final, most European games in that time and a fair few other bits and pieces that i have picked up along the way. I've also got loads of special edition like the magazine that was produced when we won the First division, pull outs and posters from the paper when we won the league cup in 1991 and the CIS in 2007.

I always mean to spend some time sorting them all into chronological order but i never get round to it. I love to dip into them now and then and read about players and matches gpone by.

Bostonhibby
24-07-2010, 01:40 PM
European cup semi against Stade Rheim, 18th April 1956.
Re the 0-7 one, seen them go for £40 - £70 in the past on Ebay. In the early 90's I had an offer of £75 for my one that's signed by Alan Gordon, never will be sold.

iwasthere1972
24-07-2010, 01:55 PM
I don't collect progs but I do have one from 1968 - Hibs v Stirling Albion. Think we won 5-2.

sesoim
24-07-2010, 02:53 PM
The oldest one I've got is for the Seville friendly in 1985, although I wasn't at the game. A distant relative of mine got sent off for Seville after kicking Stuart beedie!

BenjiOscar
24-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Managed to complete my home collection back to 1960 thanks to numerous visits to Brian Johnson's programme shop in Albion Road (apart from a couple of postponed issues which I don't count!). Have a lot from the 1950's and a couple from the 40's with my oldest being a League Cup game against Clyde on 5th September 1948.

Not so fussed about the away league matches but am trying to get all our away friendlies and European matches. Oldest one is against Spurs on 1st May 1950.

My collection's not bad but is nothing compared to some of the serious collectors.

Still get every home and away from Brian on subscription.

jarre1875
24-07-2010, 06:06 PM
I've seen the 7-0 programme for 80 quid

big-mo
24-07-2010, 07:03 PM
I currently have just over 2000 Hibs programs, the oldest I have is the Willie McCartney testimonial prog, Hibs v Man Utd at ER, 22/9/1949, Hibs lost 1-0.

The most expensive Hibs program I have seen, but unfortunately do not own, is the Coronation Cup 20th May 1953 Hibs v Celtic at Hampden, Hibs lost 2-0.

It has been on eBay for about £200.

I have them all files in order and catalogued, much to the wife annoyance at the time it takes. I have also got details of every game Hibs have played and apart from about twenty odd games, the scores, the ones missing are usually friendlies etc.

villager
24-07-2010, 08:24 PM
programmes arent my thing, but if they were.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1953-Brazil-World-Club-Football-Tournament-Hibernian-/120575562682?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Sports_Memorabilia_Football_Programmes_ET&hash=item1c12dd13ba

The Harp
24-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Oldest Hibs programme I have is Hibs v Celtic from '47, with a pic of the Celtic 1st team, including Jock Stein, on the front cover.
Havent catalogued my collection but would estimate it to be between 1500 and 2000. Also have 5 Hibs handbooks between the years '50 and '59. Must add ... none of these items is for sale ... my son regards them as his inheritance!!! :rolleyes:

mim
24-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Never been a collector, but I kept the programme for the Barca match at ER (3-2), just because I knew I would never see anything like that again....
.......mind you, the game against Napoli came very close. :wink:

Russian Hibs Fan
24-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Have a few from the late 50th and of course from the Barca game. All cup fianls from that era. I have a lot but have nothing from the last two seasons. :boo hoo:

AFKA5814_Hibs
24-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Not very old, but the first programme I bought is from November 1984 and is a home game against the Huns. The game was on Sportscene that night and I managed to get Archie MacPherson to autograph the front of it before he went onto the scaffolding on the East Terracing for the commentary.

His signature probably brought the future price of the programme down in price. :greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
25-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Hibs v Hearts 1955 we won 3-1 :thumbsup:

And is open to offers as well :agree:

surreyhibbie
25-07-2010, 03:02 PM
1965, home to Falkirk in the League. Won 2-1. :thumbsup:

Hiber-nation
25-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Probably got over 90% of home programmes from 1972 to date, with a few odds and sods back to 1964, my pocket money didn't stretch to programmes back in these days!

I'm keeping the important ones but if anyone needs a specific programme just let me know as I'm not a collector, they're good to look through occasionally but I've no problem parting with a few.

Conrad Gray
25-07-2010, 06:23 PM
The oldest Hibs one is the McCartney testimonial v Man Utd in September 1948. I also have an Edinburgh select from 1944. My favourites are the one in the avatar from 1968 African tour and the 1967 Hibs (Toronto) v New York. As seen here -

http://hibsprogrammes.co.uk/html/670528co.html

I am presently trying to fill gaps in the early 50's and the North American tour games. Please get in touch if you have any to sell or swap.

Ryan91
25-07-2010, 06:31 PM
I can remember having a whole load of old programs, I think I possibly had one from the 50s and I remember there being one for Pat Stanton's testimonial can't remember for the life of me where they are.

Brooster
25-07-2010, 06:54 PM
The oldest Hibs one is the McCartney testimonial v Man Utd in September 1948. I also have an Edinburgh select from 1944. My favourites are the one in the avatar from 1968 African tour and the 1967 Hibs (Toronto) v New York. As seen here -

http://hibsprogrammes.co.uk/html/670528co.html

I am presently trying to fill gaps in the early 50's and the North American tour games. Please get in touch if you have any to sell or swap.

That website is fantastic, really well developed and maintained. I have every Hibs home since late 60's and am currently filling in the gaps from previos years. Brian Johnston on Albion Road (http://www.almondvaleprogrammes.co.uk/) has a good shop if you are into browsing old progs.

scoopyboy
25-07-2010, 07:49 PM
1953 v. East Fife is my oldest Hibs.

Jonnyboy
25-07-2010, 09:30 PM
I don't collect progs but I do have one from 1968 - Hibs v Stirling Albion. Think we won 5-2.

We did :agree:

Jimmy O'Rourke (2), Colin Stein, Allan McGraw and Eric Stevenson :thumbsup:

Wembley67
25-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Anyone got any background on the scarf the OP mentions?