PDA

View Full Version : Fall At The First Hurdle?

broonie27
23-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else think we'll fall at the first hurdle in Europe? There's an awful lot of optimism on this board regarding next Thursday's game but unless we miraculously buy two centre-halfs who are fit and play like they've been playing next to each other for years then I can't see us winning. Bamba is clearly not going to play so we're left with Hogg (who I certainly do not rate) and (an)other, none of which I have too much faith in for such a big game.

The cup is always half empty with me so I hope to god I'm wrong.

bingo70
23-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else think we'll fall at the first hurdle in Europe? There's an awful lot of optimism on this board regarding next Thursday's game but unless we miraculously buy two centre-halfs who are fit and play like they've been playing next to each other for years then I can't see us winning. Bamba is clearly not going to play so we're left with Hogg (who I certainly do not rate) and (an)other, none of which I have too much faith in for such a big game.

You reckon :confused:

I've seen very little optimism, a lot of excitement about the trip but certainly no optimism as we know very little about this mob.

IMO Maribor should be favourites for this tie due to there experience in europe and the fact there season has started already.

It is a winable tie though but i wouldn't really call that optimisim

erin-go-bragh87
23-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Shock!! hibs.net in "Hibs will fail" shocker. FFS guys we haven't even started yet, let's leave the doom and gloom stuff out of it and actually get behind the team!!

broonie27
23-07-2010, 08:08 PM
You reckon :confused:

I've seen very little optimism, a lot of excitement about the trip but certainly no optimism as we know very little about this mob.

IMO Maribor should be favourites for this tie due to there experience in europe and the fact there season has started already.

It is a winable tie though but i wouldn't really call that optimisim

Hmmm, I've seen a few post reading like both Videton and Maribor were pretty poor and read that as optimism.

bingo70
23-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Hmmm, I've seen a few post reading like both Videton and Maribor were pretty poor and read that as optimism.

If they're being called pretty poor then thats them as favourites, if you read the last thread when we got beat off that dutch mob we were apparently a lot worse than that :wink:

Cabbage East
23-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Yams will be cracking one off at the prospect of voting on this.

Badge
23-07-2010, 08:25 PM
1-1 over there. 2-0 at Easter Road.

hfc1875x
23-07-2010, 08:27 PM
After watching the game last night i think its going to be very very difficult for us to take anything from the tie.

bighairyfaeleith
23-07-2010, 08:30 PM
We'll **** maribor, then we'll **** juve then we'll roll on to the group stages:thumbsup:

This is possibly one of the worst threads I have ever read!!

scoopyboy
23-07-2010, 11:23 PM

Even if we were to buy the best two centre backs in the world today it would make no difference, they needed to be registered by Thursday night to be eligible.

I think the tie could go either way, my dread is we get well beaten and render our home leg meaningless.

I believe we will do well enough in the first leg to get Easter Road bouncing for the return.

A score draw or even a 2-1 defeat would surely fill ER on the 5th.

hibee4life1983
23-07-2010, 11:31 PM
1-0 away 3-0 home

CRAZYHIBBY
23-07-2010, 11:33 PM
maribor are actually a very good team with a lot of skillful players, there a video on youtube showing one of their players scoring from a corner

Green_one
24-07-2010, 08:46 AM
maribor are actually a very good team with a lot of skillful players, there a video on youtube showing one of their players scoring from a corner

Aye but you can also find good Hearts goals on Youtube and they are still mince.

Early season optimism for me. Hibs get through to the next round.

Depression again in Jaunuary no doubt :greengrin

Ryan69
24-07-2010, 09:04 AM
I think that when people start these posts it instills negativity in people and makes more nerves amongst all that read it.

Were capable of beating this bunch,We will progress!

Hibby Kay-Yay
24-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Shock!! hibs.net in "Hibs will fail" shocker. FFS guys we haven't even started yet, let's leave the doom and gloom stuff out of it and actually get behind the team!!

actual title "Will we fall at the first hurdle" Shock horror a poster see's title and makes up own title to suit their agenda of making it look more of a doom and gloom poll

broonie27
24-07-2010, 09:42 PM
I think that when people start these posts it instills negativity in people and makes more nerves amongst all that read it.

Were capable of beating this bunch,We will progress!

I'll just keep my thoughts to myself then!

sesoim
24-07-2010, 10:07 PM

The annoying thing is, they probably do have a better team than us, and yet only have to pay a fraction of the wages we pay. Hibs shouldn't constantly be getting put out at the first hurdle every year by teams with smaller crowds, poorer facilities and much lower turnovers yet it keeps on happening.

Hughes will make up for last seasons slump if he can turn that round and get us into the group stages for a change.

Patatango
25-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Where's the 'just looking forward to the ride' option?

I'm optomistic just because the season's not even started yet and i'm always optomistic at the start of the season.

Not going to the away leg, but definately looking forward to the game at Easter Road!

lucky
25-07-2010, 12:48 AM
what a ****ty poll.

as Hibs fans surely we look forward with hope not his negative rubbish.

If I was an admin you would be banned you closet Yam.

CB_NO3
25-07-2010, 01:08 AM
If we play to our best we can easily win this tie. On the other hand we could go out and bottle it and get humped. Maribor will not be as good as either of the old firm but will play a different style of football to what we see here in Scotland. They will keep the ball well. If we can come home being 1 down (preferably 2-1) then ill be happy.

HONG KONG PHOOEY
25-07-2010, 02:04 AM
I cannot believe I am going to reply to such a origional post, but yes we can go through. We have played okay in the friendlies so far. A 1-0 defeat or better will do us, we will win at E/R. But keep running down "your" team if you want !!!!!

deeks01
25-07-2010, 02:50 AM
actual title "Will we fall at the first hurdle" Shock horror a poster see's title and makes up own title to suit their agenda of making it look more of a doom and gloom poll

oh sorry bud , hey everybody this is a NON doom and gloom we're gonty get beat thread. sorry I somehow thought this was a negative thread! oopsy!

Purehibee_MYB
25-07-2010, 09:47 AM
We'll **** maribor, then we'll **** juve then we'll roll on to the group stages:thumbsup:

This is possibly one of the worst threads I have ever read!!

:top marks

'Mon The Hibs!!

sahib
25-07-2010, 10:02 AM
oh sorry bud , hey everybody this is a NON doom and gloom we're gonty get beat thread. sorry I somehow thought this was a negative thread! oopsy!

I voted yes but I am not gloomy about it. I don't believe it is a certainty either and we could well win. It is hard to judge when I have not seen us play this season. Recent outings in the Intertoto do not bode well.

Geo_1875
25-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Totally negative approach to our European tie. Surely it would have been just as easy to ask "Will we get through to the next round". But no, it's all about failure. I don't know why we bothered entering the competition.

erin-go-bragh87
25-07-2010, 03:38 PM

Go back and read the first post and then come back and tell me it's not doom and gloom!!

broonie27
26-07-2010, 12:11 AM
what a ****ty poll.

Well it's a good thing you're not an admin then! Only allowed to post positive comments are we? Don't talk such utter tosh!

Have a look at other comments I've made and you'll see if I'm a yam you imbecile. :grr:

Keith_M
26-07-2010, 12:18 AM
TBH, we don't exactly have a European record to be proud of (in my lifetime, and I'm no spring-chicken) and I'm really not confident about this game.

One really BIG reason for hoping we do get through is that I won't manage the away leg this round. I'd be gutted to miss out on a bit of foreign travel this year.

Mon the Hibs!!

broonie27
26-07-2010, 12:20 AM
Totally negative approach to our European tie. Surely it would have been just as easy to ask "Will we get through to the next round". But no, it's all about failure. I don't know why we bothered entering the competition.

Would it REALLY matter how the question is worded as it would still have the same two options? The fact the question is raised shows that I have my own doubts therefore negativity is automatically implied.

I'll just go and take my happy pills though as it seems it's a crime to have even the slightest negative thought about Hibs.

WE MUST ONLY LOOK AT THE POSITIVE

And we call the Yams deluded!

jgl07
26-07-2010, 12:38 AM
Well it's a good thing you're not an admin then! Only allowed to post positive comments are we? Don't talk such utter tosh!

Have a look at other comments I've made and you'll see if I'm a yam you imbecile. :grr:
If something looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, the odds are that it is a duck!

Looking through your posts which are mostly non-Hibs related or character assassinations of Hibs players such as Chris Hogg and Bamba, I have come to my own conclusions.

broonie27
26-07-2010, 01:37 AM
If something looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, the odds are that it is a duck!

Looking through your posts which are mostly non-Hibs related or character assassinations of Hibs players such as Chris Hogg and Bamba, I have come to my own conclusions.

Tell me, what is SO wrong with canvassing my fellow Hibs fans about our chances in a reasonably big match?

Is it really so hard to comprehend someone having a different opinion than your own?

Think what you want about my allegiance, I couldn't give a flying fork. What I do care about is someone telling me I have no right to have my own opinion and to come on this forum to discuss it.

Hibby 2005
26-07-2010, 02:12 AM
Here we go again, happy clappers, doom brigade, will we, won't we, bottom line is we're not even sure, especially with our defence, that we can progress from this tie nevermind the next.

brydekirk
26-07-2010, 05:02 AM
what a ****ty poll.

:agree: :jamboak:

Ryan69
26-07-2010, 06:01 AM
absolutely stupid thread this.......Pessimists should not be allowed to talk about Euro failure,especially as weve not even started.......and you cant deny the pessimist part.

Its an opinion yes,but really think this poll is a joke.

Chances of you going to this exciting game......Zilch! Hope not anyway,youll try talking us into defeat before we even turn up. :grr:

twiceinathens
26-07-2010, 07:32 AM
Having watched the Maribor v Videoton tie last week I would say that Maribor are a skilful side with a fair amount of pace who will test our defence particularly our full backs. If we allow them as much space as Videoton did we will be in trouble. However on the rare occasions that Videton put them under pressure from set pieces they did not look too confident and they showed a possible weakness at left back.
We can win it but will do well to do so. On balance I would make them favourites to win.
I regard this as a realistic assessment on not raging negativity.

Hibby Kay-Yay
26-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Go back and read the first post and then come back and tell me it's not doom and gloom!!

I have and the original poster is saying that he is a "glass half empty" kinda guy and imo is only asking an opinion of will we fall at the first hurdle. Yes he does then go on to have a go at our defence but what would you expect from a pessimist?

I don't believe this is doom and gloom as the thread would then be called, "We will fall at the first hurdle, anyone agree?"

Judging by the voting it looks as though it is a relevant poll. All IMO ofcourse :cool2:

Expecting Rain
26-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Neither optimistic or pessimistic i`ve never seen the opposition, i don`t think Yogi has either.

basehibby
26-07-2010, 11:12 AM
I think we'll progress and it's not just blind optimism that makes me say that.

I think the team is a lot better prepared for this tie than I can remember us being for a long time.
many's teh time we've entered europe with half a team - the other half having been flogged to the OF to pay the bank and not replaced in time for early european ties.

This time there have been 2 new arrivals with no significant departures and the team has undertaken a grueling pre-season trip taking on tough european opposition away from home - clearly with the specific intention of being ready for the approaching tie.

Of course Maribor will be no pushovers - they seem to be the best team in Slovenia and have taken a good few European scalps over the last 10 years or so - but they've taken some humpings as well and should certainly be viewed as beatable over the two legs - so - because I'm a glass half full kinda guy, I'm happy to predict that the Hibees will progress to the next round.

broonie27
26-07-2010, 08:58 PM
I have and the original poster is saying that he is a "glass half empty" kinda guy and imo is only asking an opinion of will we fall at the first hurdle. Yes he does then go on to have a go at our defence but what would you expect from a pessimist?

I don't believe this is doom and gloom as the thread would then be called, "We will fall at the first hurdle, anyone agree?"

Judging by the voting it looks as though it is a relevant poll. All IMO ofcourse :cool2:

Thank you Hibby Kay-Yay, appreciate your comments. I hardly ever post on here and I'm starting to remember why - you just get shot down in flames when you talk about something remotely negative.

The honest truth is I don't come into contact with many Hibbies on a regular basis where I am and I just wanted to gauge the mood of Hibs.net.

HibbyAndy
26-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Least we are in a position to fall at the first hurdle.

The pubteam on the other hand :hilarious

Phil MaGlass
27-07-2010, 10:32 AM
I dont think its a doom and gloom thread,

NEW SEASON NEW CHANCES

GERINTAETHUM

erin-go-bragh87
27-07-2010, 11:12 AM

Cool mate, I'm not trying to put anyone down or start an argument, just, IMO, we should be looking to a new season and European adventure with optimism and excitement, rather than waiting until we get beat so people can say I told you so.

twiceinathens
30-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Having watched the Maribor v Videoton tie last week I would say that Maribor are a skilful side with a fair amount of pace who will test our defence particularly our full backs. If we allow them as much space as Videoton did we will be in trouble. However on the rare occasions that Videton put them under pressure from set pieces they did not look too confident and they showed a possible weakness at left back.
We can win it but will do well to do so. On balance I would make them favourites to win.
I regard this as a realistic assessment on not raging negativity.

Apologies for referring to my own post. This is not meant to be an "I told you so" piece of masochistic gloating. it is simply a statement of fact of fact that they are a better team than we are. Will I be at Easter Road next week hoping for a miracle? of course I will - and Carlisle and Blackpool incidentally. Will I continue to berate them for basic errors? Without a doubt. Will I continue to be frustrated and occasionally delighted by team? Naturally. It's all part of being a Hibee.

Ross4356
30-07-2010, 11:05 AM
I thought when Celtic got beat 3 nil they were snookered and I think we are the same