PDA

View Full Version : Hibby Pub in Maribor?

SunshineOnLeith
23-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Now that all the travel threads have been done to death and stressed over, how about turning to a more fun topic, where are we all bevvying?

There's an Irish Pub, Patrick's, so I'll get the all rolling by suggesting there :thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
23-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Any Irish bar is bound to rip the erse out of us, never understood why folk go to them? :confused:

SunshineOnLeith
23-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Well according to this http://atom.uni-mb.si/edu/Part_Three_2008_09.pdf (It's a guide sent to students spending a year abroad there) it's one of the three most popular pubs in town, the other two being mexican and jazz.

The Dubliner didn't rip us off in Gothenburg.

blackpoolhibs
23-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Well according to this http://atom.uni-mb.si/edu/Part_Three_2008_09.pdf (It's a guide sent to students spending a year abroad there) it's one of the three most popular pubs in town, the other two being mexican and jazz.

Oh well good news, :thumbsup: i have always found them much dearer for the same drinks just because they have a fiddle over the bar, and an irish name on the outside.

Hibbyradge
23-07-2010, 12:09 PM
There are many possibilities to go out in Maribor. The most popular pubs in Maribor are the Irish pub - Patrick’s, Mexican pubs – Taco's and Bongos, and the Jazz pub – Satchmo. If you wish to dance afterwards, you are welcome to visit the Trust and the student disco ŠTUK.

ŠTUK is a popular student entertainment facility near Maribor Students' Housing Services at
Gosposvetska 83. It contains a student cinema and disco, and hosts poetry readings, concerts, and other events.

There is always something going on. At Lent, the historic district on the riverbank below the city walls, visitors and locals like to socialize in pubs, pizzerias, and inns. It is a beautiful place to relax, especially on sunny days.

THEATRE AND CINEMAS
In Maribor, the Slovenian National Theatre (Slovensko narodno gledališče Maribor), which has received international recognition in recent years and which has a fully renovated building, is of special importance. There is also an important cultural event - the largest and oldest theatre festival in Slovenia, called Borštnikovo srečanje (in October).

There are several cinemas in KOLOSEJ KINEMATOGRAFI, Loška ulica 13, 2000 Maribor
http://www.kolosej.si/spored/maribor/ and PLANET TUŠ, Na Poljanah 18, 2000 Maribor http://www.planettus. si/slo/kino/sporedi, which feature a wide variety of up to date films.

Movies are shown in the original version with Slovene subtitles (except for animated feature films, which are often dubbed into Slovene).

MUSEUMS

The regional museum (Pokrajinski muzej) of Maribor at the Mariborski grad (Maribor castle), maintains a rich archaeological, historical and pharmaceutical collection, a collection of clothing, and a lapidary.

The Museum of National Liberation (Muzej 12 narodne osvoboditve) has a permanent exhibition depicting the period of World War II in Styria, while also organizing exhibitions pertaining to recent history. The Art Gallery (Umetnostna galerija) maintains a permanent exhibition of works by Slovene artists and organizes retrospective and thematic exhibitions by artists.

Phil MaGlass
23-07-2010, 01:41 PM
I mostly avoid Irish theme pubs when goin abroad, apart fae bein a ripoff its corny and old, give me the local bars without the tourists anyday.

Andy74
23-07-2010, 01:47 PM
I mostly avoid Irish theme pubs when goin abroad, apart fae bein a ripoff its corny and old, give me the local bars without the tourists anyday.

Yep, never seen the point in going abroad and going to an Irish bar. I'd quite like to go to a Slovenian bar in Slovenia.

wazoo1875
23-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Yep, never seen the point in going abroad and going to an Irish bar. I'd quite like to go to a Slovenian bar in Slovenia.

I'm with you on that one I want to and mingle with the locals and sample their beers and food etc. Dinnae get the whole Irish pub myself.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-07-2010, 01:58 PM
We found some cracking wee boozers in Kiev by avoiding the Irish/British pubs.

Sergey
23-07-2010, 02:04 PM
I'm with you on that one I want to and mingle with the locals and sample their beers and food etc. Dinnae get the whole Irish pub myself.

If you like sausages, look out for some kranjska klobasa. Really good munching.

Frazerbob
23-07-2010, 02:14 PM
We found some cracking wee boozers in Kiev by avoiding the Irish/British pubs.

River Palace! :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Very much so, Frazer!

Kojock
23-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Slovenian Beers

Two major beers dominate the market and both breweries are currently owned by Laško brewery (Pivovarna Laško) Both breweries offer a variety of beers, but the most popular are plain lagers, Union beer and Laško/Zlatorog beer.

Being lagers, beers are similar. Union is the beer of the capital city and Laško is mostly drunk elsewhere. Estimates give Laško beer a 60% share of the market. Laško is a bit more bitter.

Lager is the main beer, drunk in over 95% of the cases.

I prefer Laško/Zlatorog as I found Union to be a bit more sickly, certainly was the last time I was over and drank about 15 pints of the stuff.

Beer = Pivo

nickwhibs
24-07-2010, 01:33 PM

Sounds good to me. Anywhere that's full of Hibbies on the day of the game will do for me. Can sample culture on the Friday :greengrin

squire
24-07-2010, 02:16 PM
I agree that it would be brilliant if we could have some sort of HQ for pre and post match bevvies just like The Dubliner pub in Gothenburg that Jerry organised for the Elfsborg trip. but this level of organisation will be hard without a Slovenian Hibs Supporters Club! Anyone want to recommend or shout a meeting place?

Ed De Gramo
24-07-2010, 02:27 PM

:agree:

There were two irish pubs that I saw in Bulgaria....

One had a lacky nearby who was wearing a very old Scotland top

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Clubs/Club_Home/2009/8/7/1249640107113/Scotland-Joy-of-Six-001.jpg

and the other was full of plastics (one of which wanted to buy the Hibs training top I was wearing) :greengrin

nickwhibs
24-07-2010, 02:57 PM
I agree that it would be brilliant if we could have some sort of HQ for pre and post match bevvies just like The Dubliner pub in Gothenburg that Jerry organised for the Elfsborg trip. but this level of organisation will be hard without a Slovenian Hibs Supporters Club! Anyone want to recommend or shout a meeting place?

Yep good idea. Don't know where would be best though. Anywhere that's close to the ground would be ideal. Also found this when looking at pictures of the Ljudski Vrt Stadion...
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45139000/jpg/_45139238_stadium.jpg
I can't tell if these stalls are selling food or beer outside the ground...looks good anyway for pre-match atmosphere!

Andy74
24-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Anyone figured where all the local slappers go? That's the main thing.

CropleyWasGod
24-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Anyone figured where all the local slappers go? That's the main thing.

Nice to know the Leith ethos of peace and love is going to be shared internationally...:greengrin

Hibernia Na Eir
24-07-2010, 05:54 PM
welcoming folk those Maribor people

check out this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDOie2-Ko18

Wilson
24-07-2010, 06:05 PM

Well I'm assuiming they are for people who don't prize sampling their beers, food, or mixing with the locals.

Different strokes for different folks.

I'd be there to follow hibs after all. A home from home in a strange town would be quite a welcome sight as far as I am concerned.

wazoo1875
24-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Well I'm assuiming they are for people who don't prize sampling their beers, food, or mixing with the locals.

Different strokes for different folks.

I'd be there to follow hibs after all. A home from home in a strange town would be quite a welcome sight as far as I am concerned.

I agree with you there mate i want to see as many familiar faces as possible , but we could all go to biddy mulligans for a night oot if you want oirishness .

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Only a home from home if you are Irish I think!

Dashing Bob S
25-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Only a home from home if you are Irish I think!

Most of those so-called 'Irish' pubs are about as Irish as my scrotum.

RoYO!
25-07-2010, 09:48 PM
:agree:

There were two irish pubs that I saw in Bulgaria....

One had a lacky nearby who was wearing a very old Scotland top

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Clubs/Club_Home/2009/8/7/1249640107113/Scotland-Joy-of-Six-001.jpg

and the other was full of plastics (one of which wanted to buy the Hibs training top I was wearing) :greengrin

think that was the 1st Scotland shirt I owned when I was prob about ten. Always quite liked it :D

Hermit Crab
26-07-2010, 12:42 AM
Most of those so-called 'Irish' pubs are about as Irish as my scrotum.

:faf: Now now leave the bawbags out of this :greengrin

Hermit Crab
26-07-2010, 11:47 AM
So is there any actual meeting place for us travelling fans when we get to Maribor on Wednesday? :thumbsup: