PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Den Haag

Boris
21-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Not a lot to shout about at tonight's game. A goal up after just 59 seconds, Michael Hart knocking in after a Stokes freekick came back off bar, but ADO too command & were unlucky not to be ahead at half-time though Stokes missed a sitter right on the break, weaving past three defenders but with just the keeper to beat he shot wide.

Never looked like coming back after they took lead.

Nice stadium ADO have but away out in the outskirts in middle if an industrial estate - the Dutch "Straiton"........ Not much of a crowd at the game - I'd guess 2,000 tops, including around 25 Hibbies.

For the programme collectors, there was a 4 page issue tonight, given away free inside the stadium. I was chatting with the lad that produced the programme - its a fans' edition, issued with the blessing of the club. There was also an A4 photocopied teamsheet available in the press & vip areas.

1 game to go before the Europa but to be honest I'm no nearer to seeing what our strongest side.

H18sry
21-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Any sign of Gowser :wink:

DaveF
21-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Not a lot to shout about at tonight's game. A goal up after just 59 seconds, Michael Hart knocking in after a Stokes freekick came back off bar, but ADO too command & were unlucky not to be ahead at half-time though Stokes missed a sitter right on the break, weaving past three defenders but with just the keeper to beat he shot wide.

Nice stadium ADO have but away out in the outskirts in middle if an industrial estate - the Dutch "Straiton"........ Not much of a crowd at the game - I'd guess 2,000 tops, including around 25 Hibbies.

For the programme collectors, there was a 4 page issue tonight, given away free inside the stadium. I was chatting with the lad that produced the programme - its a fans' edition, issued with the blessing of the club. There was also an A4 photocopied teamsheet available in the press & vip areas.

1 game to go before the Europa but to be honest I'm no nearer to seeing what our strongest side.

Hmmm, a tad worrying!

thanks for the updates though :thumbsup:

Boris
21-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Any sign of Gowser :wink:

Naw - but then again, he could easilly have been hiding amongst the rest of oor midfield tonight!!!

steviecarnie
21-07-2010, 08:55 PM
he could easilly have been hiding amongst the rest of oor midfield tonight!!!

Deja Vu for the last 4months of the season then.:grr:

basehibby
21-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Hmmm, a tad worrying!

thanks for the updates though :thumbsup:

I'll be worried if Yogi doesn't know our strongest lineup - what Boris knows is neither here nor there and hopefully reflects what any spies from Maribor will be thinking as well.

I'd maybe expect to see something closer to the first choice line up starting at the weekend ?!?

DC_Hibs
21-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Deja Vu for the last 4months of the season then.:grr:

calm yerself, we won away against United reserves

SouthMoroccoStu
22-07-2010, 06:56 AM
calm yerself, we won away against United reserves

Aye.

But that will be there team this year with all the players they've lost / expecting to lose.

:wink:

Ritchie
22-07-2010, 07:09 AM

thought it was deek who hit the freekick?? :confused:

Phil MaGlass
22-07-2010, 07:19 AM
Thought we were pretty poor last nite, defence was terrible, I have to say, we were a shambles at cross balls and had absolutely no idea in midfield, when we did break forward there was no real support from midfield. Hopefully this was just treated as a run oput for the players and to get them match fit,otherwise it looks like another long season and
Ma heid is burstin at the moment, but ah will be ready for Arnhem, Arnhem, a beer too far.

mjhibby
22-07-2010, 07:40 AM
I wish people would treat these games as what they are friendlies.I remember a few years ago hibs and hertz went on roughly the same preseason playing the same teams and we had much better reults thatn them,everybody got over excited and of course harry potter had used friendlies wisely and we had our usual mediocre season.had we been playing say the pars or a team at the bottom of the polish league and lost 1-0 then i would be concerned(oh didnt that just happen to the dons and the arabs.We played a very young team to begin with and lost the second goal just after making a load of changes.
I notice they only had one sub on so were taking the game very seriously.They are better than we will get in the spl outside the old firm and as we have a euro tie yogi will be looking to get the squad fit and ready.I think we all know 9 of the players who will start next thursday and the only question mark is the keeper and the ch beside hogg.FWIW i think we will line up

Brown
Hart
Hogg
Thicot
Murray
Wotherspoon
De graaf
Millar
Mcbride
Riordan
Stokes

Subs stack,hanlon,rankin,nish,stevenson,galbraith and stephens.

BT58
22-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Think you will find stack in goals, and hanlon with Hogg
Is the last game Saturday or Sunday
He should start this team then
B

Diclonius
22-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Yogi should play his strongest team against Vitesse. :agree:

BT58
22-07-2010, 09:28 AM
so, out of the four, what was the league placings of the four teams,
and ahem, when is the vitesse game getting played??????????
b

Brooster
22-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Dont read too much into these games, its all about fitness and giving players a run out. last night seemed to be all about giving fringe players a start (Thicot and Galbraith spring to mind). put it this way - last nights starting 11 will never ever start a competetive game for Hibs.

mjhibby
22-07-2010, 10:10 AM
The dutch league starts a week before us so these guys were taking the friendlies very seriously and shows that we shouldnt get too despondent at all and indeed should be fairly happy given yogi has chopped and changed the team.

Boris
22-07-2010, 10:20 AM
I ain't despondent. Results don't mean anything at this stage of a pre-season, indeed at any stage. But we're now a week away from a very important European tie, the result of which will undoubtedly shape our season to come, and in all honesty I can't see what our strongest side will be & it worries me a bit that whatever side we do put out next Thursday will not have played together as a team. I'm guessing we'll have at least 2 competitive debutants - De Graaf & Hart - so surely they need to see how they fit into the team?

Key to going thru in the 3rd round will be by being strong in defence (clean sheet if possible), scoring an away goal (I'd say an essential in today's european ties)& keeping our discipline (need to cut out the moaning & petty fouling that has been evident in at least 2 of the 3 friendlies over here).

hibsbollah
22-07-2010, 11:07 AM
The Scotsman seems to be saying that Thicot was playing as a lone holding midfielder against Den Haag. Any reports on how he got on from those who watched it? Thats supposed to be his favourite position....

seanraff07
22-07-2010, 12:02 PM
The Scotsman seems to be saying that Thicot was playing as a lone holding midfielder against Den Haag. Any reports on how he got on from those who watched it? Thats supposed to be his favourite position....

I didn't think he was that great TBH.

We were sitting back that much that he was as good as a CB half the time anyway, i'd still prefer him to play at CB for the time being.

seanraff07
22-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Thought we were ok in the 1st half, pretty poor the 2nd half and don't think we had more than a half chance that half.

Riordan, Galbraith and Stokes all looked a threat in the 1st half but faded out of the game in the 2nd and thought Miller done just about everything when he came on.

Hoping we will play a similar line-up to the one we will use next Thursday and see how we get on.

number9dream
22-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Away from home in EL, I'd be tempted to play McBride & Thicot sitting in front of the defence: Hart, Hogg, Hanlon, Murray.

Stokes up top, with Miller in behind. De Graaf or Weatherspoon on the right and Deeks on the left.

Not sure about keeper.

Speedway
22-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Away from home in EL, I'd be tempted to play McBride & Thicot sitting in front of the defence: Hart, Hogg, Hanlon, Murray.

Stokes up top, with Miller in behind. De Graaf or Weatherspoon on the right and Deeks on the left.

Not sure about keeper.

Oh I think we should have one of those.

BSEJVT
22-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Oh I think we should have one of those.

Although,

Given some of the recent incumbents? :greengrin