PDA

View Full Version : Summer football

CB_NO3
21-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Who still thinks summer football would be a great idea in Scotland ?.

jgl07
21-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Not me.

lyonhibs
21-07-2010, 03:01 PM
As ever, not me, for the simple reason that no season is reliable in Scotland.

It can be pishing it down in July as much as it can be pishing it down in January, the only difference is that in December/January time, football is one of the few available releases from the drudgery of Christmas/work, whereas in the summer, you can be in far, far sunnier climes in 2 hours.

That's for professional football I hasten to add. I don't know what schedule the youths/U15's etc keep, but we should really be trying to encouraging them to play on pitches in as good a condition as possible to try to get the game away from this kick and rush mentality, particularly at the younger end of the spectrum.

heidtheba
21-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Personally I'm still hoping Summer kicks in here...
this is crap

Oscar T Grouch
21-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Personally I'm still hoping Summer kicks in here...
this is crap

Mon now we had oor summer last month, 2-3 weeks of sun = Scottish summers totality :greengrin

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-07-2010, 03:11 PM

Me. Would rather get wet going to games in relatively warm rather than baltic weather, pitches would be better as grass grows in the summer and the pitches will be repaired quicker, and youth progression will be better as we are more likely to get kids off their erses, away from their Xboxes and playing the game for longer than during the winter months.

villager
21-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Me. Would rather get wet going to games in relatively warm rather than baltic weather, pitches would be better as grass grows in the summer and the pitches will be repaired quicker, and youth progression will be better as we are more likely to get kids off their erses, away from their Xboxes and playing the game for longer than during the winter months.

:agree:

CB_NO3
21-07-2010, 09:54 PM
So what would you do on freezing cold winter days in November and Febuary because the close season would only be December and January. Scotland can have freezing cold wet windy days all year so it makes no sense to change it.

My summer is about going on holiday and going to music festivals etc. So I would probably miss lots of games in the summer because I would be doing other things, pretty sure alot of people would be in the same boat. I enjoy winter games. I look forward to getting back to the pub after the game to warm up. As for kids and their Xbox, well thats an addiction that will never change.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-07-2010, 10:04 PM
So what would you do on freezing cold winter days in November and Febuary because the close season would only be December and January. Scotland can have freezing cold wet windy days all year so it makes no sense to change it.

My summer is about going on holiday and going to music festivals etc. So I would probably miss lots of games in the summer because I would be doing other things, pretty sure alot of people would be in the same boat. I enjoy winter games. I look forward to getting back to the pub after the game to warm up. As for kids and their Xbox, well thats an addiction that will never change.

My summer is about playing gowf, but I would still prefer we played football as well.

The point about the Xbox is what worries me most. We really need to do something to entice more kids to play football, and stick at it.

Cocaine&Caviar
21-07-2010, 10:07 PM
What about us students who leave Embra in the summer! :grr:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-07-2010, 10:14 PM
What about us students who leave Embra in the summer! :grr:

Cricket? :dunno:

blackpoolhibs
21-07-2010, 10:22 PM

It makes sence to minimize it though. The winter months can be the most miserable watching football. How many folk just cant be ersed when the weathers at its worst? Summer football has to come in for me.

Sir David Gray
21-07-2010, 10:26 PM
I have said for ages that summer football in Scotland would be a complete waste of time. I have only ever been to one football match that has been abandoned due to bad weather. Guess when that happened? Yup, last JULY in a pre-season match at Kirkcaldy. I don't think I've ever seen rain like that before in my life!

We get warmer temperatures in June and July but you're lucky if we get 20C and more often than not, it's about 16-18C. When I was at East End Park a couple of weeks ago, I was actually quite cold. Just imagine if there had been a full fixture list on today for example. For a start, if St Johnstone had been at home then their match would probably have been postponed due to their pitch being waterlogged as Perth has had bad flooding problems today. Travelling for away fans would have been a nightmare today as well, as a lot of surface water on roads makes driving pretty treacherous.

Summer football might be worthwhile in the South of England, where they actually get a nice summer that you can rely on, but I really don't think it would make much difference up here. In fact, as someone has already touched on, it might make the already paltry attendance figures at Scottish football matches even worse as people do other things in the summer months, like going to music festivals and going on holidays abroad, in order to escape from the horrific Scottish weather.

blackpoolhibs
21-07-2010, 10:40 PM
I have said for ages that summer football in Scotland would be a complete waste of time. I have only ever been to one football match that has been abandoned due to bad weather. Guess when that happened? Yup, last JULY in a pre-season match at Kirkcaldy. I don't think I've ever seen rain like that before in my life!

We get warmer temperatures in June and July but you're lucky if we get 20C and more often than not, it's about 16-18C. When I was at East End Park a couple of weeks ago, I was actually quite cold. Just imagine if there had been a full fixture list on today for example. For a start, if St Johnstone had been at home then their match would probably have been postponed due to their pitch being waterlogged as Perth has had bad flooding problems today. Travelling for away fans would have been a nightmare today as well, as a lot of surface water on roads makes driving pretty treacherous.

Summer football might be worthwhile in the South of England, where they actually get a nice summer that you can rely on, but I really don't think it would make much difference up here. In fact, as someone has already touched on, it might make the already paltry attendance figures at Scottish football matches even worse as people do other things in the summer months, like going to music festivals and going on holidays abroad, in order to escape from the horrific Scottish weather.

What about the games that dont actually start? What about the fans freezing their tits off? I know my dad, who followed hibs for 60 years, would miss games when the weather was bad, or very cold.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-07-2010, 10:55 PM

I'm not sure the measure is in how many games would be abandoned. Surely though, over the piece, it's about the overall enjoyment of attending games and that must be more enjoyable in summer.

Sir David Gray
22-07-2010, 11:14 AM
What about the games that dont actually start? What about the fans freezing their tits off? I know my dad, who followed hibs for 60 years, would miss games when the weather was bad, or very cold.

I'm not sure the measure is in how many games would be abandoned. Surely though, over the piece, it's about the overall enjoyment of attending games and that must be more enjoyable in summer.

Provided that both teams and the match officials are able to get to the game and aren't stuck in snow etc, the only weather-related reason why a match should be called off in the SPL is due to a waterlogged pitch. It's a bit different in the lower leagues where undersoil heating isn't a requirement so matches could be postponed because of a frozen pitch.

In my 16 years or so of going to the football, I think I could just about count on one hand the amount of Hibs matches that have had to be postponed. Of course it's not nice to sit and watch a game of football for 90 minutes whilst you can barely feel your hands and feet but I just don't think we get nice enough summers in Scotland to merit a move to summer football. You'll get milder temperatures in June and July (I'm wary of going as far as to say that they're hotter temperatures) but it's entirely possible that you'll get absolutely soaked on a July afternoon in Scotland and, to me at least, that is equally as unpleasant as freezing your backside off.

ionahibby
22-07-2010, 11:17 AM

:agree: agree don't think my missus would be too chuffed if i told her no summer holidays abroad for the forseeable future because of football!

blackpoolhibs
22-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Provided that both teams and the match officials are able to get to the game and aren't stuck in snow etc, the only weather-related reason why a match should be called off in the SPL is due to a waterlogged pitch. It's a bit different in the lower leagues where undersoil heating isn't a requirement so matches could be postponed because of a frozen pitch.

In my 16 years or so of going to the football, I think I could just about count on one hand the amount of Hibs matches that have had to be postponed. Of course it's not nice to sit and watch a game of football for 90 minutes whilst you can barely feel your hands and feet but I just don't think we get nice enough summers in Scotland to merit a move to summer football. You'll get milder temperatures in June and July (I'm wary of going as far as to say that they're hotter temperatures) but it's entirely possible that you'll get absolutely soaked on a July afternoon in Scotland and, to me at least, that is equally as unpleasant as freezing your backside off.

Last season there were weeks when there were no games in the 1st 2nd and 3rd divisions. This happened lots of times. Do these teams not count. Your bit about our summers imho is wrong too. Its not about playing in 80 degrees every week, we all know thats not going to happen. Its all about having the pitches in the best condition they can be in, so players can play football, rather than hump ball. Also the fans not freezing, not being able to feel their feet.

Better condition, better football, better weather hopefully better crowds.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
22-07-2010, 11:30 AM
On a topical note, I'd fancy our chances more of reaching the Europa league stages if we were already a good few weeks into a summer fitba season :greengrin

duncs
22-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Historically, the only reason why we play football in the winter is because summer was for cricket.

I'm a big advocate for summer football - having frozen my nads off at some games last season I just cannot fathom why people think it's necessarily a good thing. Yes the weather could be rotten sometimes in the summer, but I can guarantee you'll have much better weather over a whole season playing in summer rather than winter where it's pretty much guaranteed you'll be miserable...

If Sweden and the rest of Scandanavia can manage, so can we. Admittedly, we would lose things like the Festive fixtures...but these could be resurrected as friendlies or whatever.

The sooner we get to summer football, the better as far as I'm concerned. Imagine watching us playing passing football on well groomed surfaces every week...can anyone else imagine the state of Fir Park last season occurring in the summer?

Bishop Hibee
22-07-2010, 02:14 PM
I'll accept summer football at Easter Road on the day that Hibs agree to refund me for the games I miss on my season ticket when I'm on my summer holiday. As their's more likelyhood of Hertz new stand being ready by next season than Rod Petrie agreeing to this, it's a "no" from me.

blackpoolhibs
22-07-2010, 02:16 PM
I'll accept summer football at Easter Road on the day that Hibs agree to refund me for the games I miss on my season ticket when I'm on my summer holiday. As their's more likelyhood of Hertz new stand being ready by next season than Rod Petrie agreeing to this, it's a "no" from me.

I like to holiday in the winter months, do you think the club will pitch in with a donation towards my flights?