PDA

View Full Version : Rangers Financial Troubles....

banarc7062
20-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Does anyone else think that the well publicised financial problems at Castle Greyskull will make the league a more even playing field now that they cannot go and scoop up any potentially good players from other SPL clubs?

Hibee87
20-07-2010, 01:18 PM
what rangers are in finacial trouble, where did you see this :confused: there has certainly not been much in the sun or record :bitchy:

any way im eager to see who rangers start the season with as i read in, i think the metro, so not exactly credible but im sure it said miller woudl be tempted if a offer came in.
chris eagle who imo is a very good player seemed to be all dusted to go and somthign made him run at the last minute.

looks like celtic are going to stroll the league possibly for the forseeable whilst the rest battle it out for the second and 3rd.

i tell you waht if bougherra (sp) and mcgregor were to go before the seaosn starts rangers have a nothing team also take away boyds goals against the lower teams and there ****ed
interesting times ahead for them i think. wonder when the spl are gogin to change the rules for them if the ***** hits the fan

Simon70
20-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Slightly off-topic, but why do people refer to Ibrox as Castle Greyskull? :confused:

As any Masters of the Universe fan will know, Castle Greyskull was the home of the good guys which He-man defended from Skeletor.

So anyone calling Ibrox Castle Greyskull is technically saying that Rangers are the good guys......

Rasta_Hibs
20-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Slightly off-topic, but why do people refer to Ibrox as Castle Greyskull? :confused:

As any Masters of the Universe fan will know, Castle Greyskull was the home of the good guys which He-man defended from Skeletor.

So anyone calling Ibrox Castle Greyskull is technically saying that Rangers are the good guys......

An excellent observation! I have discussed before in the pub but what Skeletors castle called?

At The Edge
20-07-2010, 01:27 PM
I deffo think that if the other 3 clubs who could possibly challenge a poor Rangers side for 2nd (Celtic i think are stick ons for 1st) them being Dundee Utd, Hearts and Hibs, get their act together and stay consistant throughout the season, then 2nd could be had, obviously i'm looking at Hibs here, my concern is Smith, hes a good manager and will somehow get the best out of what ever team he can put out.
But it does make for an interesting season coming up :greengrin

At The Edge
20-07-2010, 01:29 PM
An excellent observation! I have discussed before in the pub but what Skeletors castle called?

apparantly its this....Snake Mountain is located on the Dark Hemisphere of Eternia and is home to skull-faced demon Skeletor

:thumbsup:

Lofarl
20-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Snake mountain is a very apt name for the home of such slithering slimy people

Diclonius
20-07-2010, 01:43 PM
apparantly its this....Snake Mountain is located on the Dark Hemisphere of Eternia and is home to skull-faced demon Skeletor

:thumbsup:

All right, so.. Back on topic:

Does anyone else think that the well publicised financial problems at Snake Mountain will make the league a more even playing field, now that they cannot go and scoop up any potentially good players from other SPL clubs?

aussie_hibee
20-07-2010, 01:46 PM
I asked the same question years ago and the answer i was given was that nobody ever won at castle greyskull therefore implying it's hard to get a result at ibrox. Doesn't sound the most convincing but I've never heard otherwise either.

cwilliamson85
20-07-2010, 01:55 PM
The answer is no due to most clubs having the same trouble as Rangers.

The SPL is badly run with money getting squandered all over the place.

Just because we have our finances in order it does not mean we will have a good season. Remember this is Hibernian FC.

lucky
20-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Rangers and Celtic are weaker than they have been for years but they will still finish 1st and 2cd. Hibs, DUTD and Yams will battle it out for the Europa cup places but will be 20 points back.

If the Huns were to lose McGregor and Bougi they will be replaced by Alexander and Conzalves.
How many Hibs players would get a game with them?

PaulSmith
20-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Aye they'll struggle....can still afford to bid £1.5m for Eagles, offer wages to Harewood. Walter Smith is the best in the business of trying to turn them into the underdogs but even with their recent cutbacks they could blow everyone out of the water with financial packages available for signings that we the rest of the SPL (bar Celtic of course) can only dream off.

Diclonius
20-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Personally, I think that even if Rangers do get into seriously deep ****, the bank'll bail them out, ala Real Madrid. They make too much money for the economy, and Celtic'll suffer what with having no one to hate. Plus, there'll be a few loyalist businessmen willing to help them out if the going gets tough.

Shame.

banarc7062
20-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Well I think they will be a poorer side this year and will be an embarassment playing against European opposition.

blackpoolhibs
20-07-2010, 03:26 PM
They will be poorer, probably not score as many goals, but i still expect them to finish 2nd.

GlesgaeHibby
20-07-2010, 03:30 PM
They have nothing to worry about. According to Goram, Lafferty will score 25 goals this season

:greengrin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8838632.stm

Hibs On Tour
20-07-2010, 03:59 PM
They'll undoubtedly be weaker than last season but I think 2nd is still a big ask for any of the teams like us who are the 'rest of the pack'. As another poster pointed out, they could still afford to bid £1.5-2.5m for Eagles along with offering him £15k a week basic + bonuses [alledgedly]. Can still blow us out of the water financially although I don't think there will be anything like a 20-point gap between 2nd and the rest this season...

Both Celtic and Rangers are as weak as I can recall them having been since the days before Murray taking over at Ibrox...

silverhibee
20-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Wilson away to Liverpool. Will they be able to put a team out for the start of the season. :greengrin

Don Giovanni
20-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Aye, im sure I just heard on Five Live that Liverpool had a bid for Wilson accepted by the Dark Powers at Snake Mountain...

or words to that effect.

Cant wait to get to get stuck right into them as first hame game of the season...

(dont make me eat my word Hibs...!)

--------
20-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Aye, im sure I just heard on Five Live that Liverpool had a bid for Wilson accepted by the Dark Powers at Snake Mountain...

or words to that effect.

Cant wait to get to get stuck right into them as first hame game of the season...

(dont make me eat my word Hibs...!)

I prefer to think of it as Mordor, myself. Dark, smelly, and populated by orcs.

Westie1875
20-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Wilson away to Liverpool. Will they be able to put a team out for the start of the season. :greengrin

Lets hope not, I'm delighted that we have them so early on :greengrin

Vini1875
20-07-2010, 08:32 PM
The OF maybe weaker but so is the SPL as a whole, with the exception of dufc. I still think we are in a transition. I think it would take an exceptional season from ourselves and dufc to have any chance of battling either of the OF for 2nd. Also not so sure celtc are a stick on for the league, I seem to recall something similar being said last season.

Lennon's first season v smith's last. I think they will both getted pumped in Europe which will have them playing in top gear around xmas. The thing is can we and dufc sustain a challenge for a full 9 months, something we have only managed in the 1st division over the last 30 years.

PaulSmith
20-07-2010, 08:43 PM
The OF maybe weaker but so is the SPL as a whole, with the exception of dufc. I still think we are in a transition. I think it would take an exceptional season from ourselves and dufc to have any chance of battling either of the OF for 2nd. Also not so sure celtc are a stick on for the league, I seem to recall something similar being said last season.

Lennon's first season v smith's last. I think they will both getted pumped in Europe which will have them playing in top gear around xmas. The thing is can we and dufc sustain a challenge for a full 9 months, something we have only managed in the 1st division over the last 30 years.

Arabs minus Wilkie, Webster and looking like Conway away as well with no additions IMO is a weaker squad.

--------
20-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Arabs minus Wilkie, Webster and looking like Conway away as well with no additions IMO is a weaker squad.

I agree.

I also consider that the rumours of Rangers demise have been rather exaggerated. I don't expect them to be materially weakened next season.

The very best we'll do is third. The Arabs MAY manage to cope without the players you mention, but should find it difficult (hope so, anyway). I'm also hoping that Vlad reverts to default and starts interfering with Fat Jim's team selections; a healthy infusion of cut-price Lithuanians into the squad should do a fair bit of damage to them.

We need to steer clear of injuries and suspensions to be reasonable bets for third, IMO. We are, as you say, in transition.... :agree:

sesoim
20-07-2010, 09:49 PM
As with every season, I think we should be aiming for 3rd, good runs in the Cup and, seeing as we are in Europe, group stages if we get a bit of luck.

After the way we capitulated last season, there is no way I'll even be thinking about 2nd.

mjhibby
21-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Rangers and Celtic are weaker than they have been for years but they will still finish 1st and 2cd. Hibs, DUTD and Yams will battle it out for the Europa cup places but will be 20 points back.

If the Huns were to lose McGregor and Bougi they will be replaced by Alexander and Conzalves.
How many Hibs players would get a game with them?

I think hibs,the arabs or any other non oldfirm team are still too lightweight to challenge for 2nd place over a whole season.United have lost their keeper pernis and webster and it should be interesting to see how their defence is although they always seem to get reliable keepers im sure something we would love to have.We still are not secure at centre back imho and with bamba gone walkabouts it could be even less secure.I feel a lot better about midfield with degraaf signed and we still havea great forward line but expecting us to get anywhwere near 2nd is totally unrealistic.
Hertz are weaker than last year and the loss of congalves,stewart and kingston will be felt as the season goes on.They struggled badly without stewart and congalves at the end of the season and barr and kyle still leaves them much weaker.Well look very depleted and the dons look well behind in getting a squad ready to make the top six never mind top 3.Rangers i think we be more solid than they were with lafferty and miller up front and two banks of four.Should papac be out for any length og time then they could struggle at the back but with the players still at the club they will still be second at least for this season.
Hope i am wrong in my assertions but 4th looks likely for hibs but as usual as we look forward to the start of a new season we are ever optimistic.3rd and a cup and the group stages of the europa league will do then.:thumbsup:

ginger_rice
21-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Problem with the OF is that there are far too few homes in Scotland which aren't tainted by their poison.

Young impressionable footballers still see them as the Gold Standard in Scottish football, the path to riches, medals, regular European football, and international caps.

A very supportive west coast biased media.

For these reasons they will still be able to hoover up the brightest young talent.

True they may not be able to wave large cheques around, however as we all know, an insider article in the Record/Sun expressing Rantics interest in a certain player, certain player then asks to be transferred and is turned down by current club, certain player then "writes" an exclusive in Record/Sun expressing disappointment with current club holding their career back and so on.....

Kaiser1962
21-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Rangers U19 tend to do well but dont make it into the top team for whatever reason. I would expect them to still be challenging Celtic for the title and still finish a strong second. This season will be about their youths making the breakthrough out of neccessity and not design and I expect them to be, at least, as good as most of what they are replacing.

Bit like we had to do about 10 years ago.