PDA

View Full Version : Alan Gow on way to Hibs now?

Boris
19-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Greetings from sunny Holland. In downtown Arnhem yesterday in a wee bar I was chatting with a couple of Hibees who are staying in the same hotel as the Hibs players on the outskirts of Arnhem. Turns out Plymouth Argyle are on tour too & staying in the same hotel. They got chatting with one of the Argyle coaches about Alan Gow, his time on loan at Hibs & his subsequent free transfer from Argyle. Plymouth coach let slip that Gow expected to fly out to Holland today to join up with Hibs party. Not clear if he's actually signed or not. All should become clear if he plays tonight in the 2nd match of the tour against NEC Nijmegen in the small town of Herpen.

For the programme collectors, the 2nd Division amateur club that hosted Friday's 1st tour game between Hibs & Heracles Almelo issued a programme for the match. There were around 25 Hibees at the match plus a few Dutch Hibees who I am guessing were from Groningen (had a big green flag with a harp on it).

Speedway
19-07-2010, 09:27 AM
The Gowser will rock the flatlands and transform the fortunes of the Hibernians, ya crazy nights for sure.

TRIALIST
19-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Greetings from sunny Holland. In downtown Arnhem yesterday in a wee bar I was chatting with a couple of Hibees who are staying in the same hotel as the Hibs players on the outskirts of Arnhem. Turns out Plymouth Argyle are on tour too & staying in the same hotel. They got chatting with one of the Argyle coaches about Alan Gow, his time on loan at Hibs & his subsequent free transfer from Argyle. Plymouth coach let slip that Gow expected to fly out to Holland today to join up with Hibs party. Not clear if he's actually signed or not. All should become clear if he plays tonight in the 2nd match of the tour against NEC Nijmegen in the small town of Herpen.

For the programme collectors, the 2nd Division amateur club that hosted Friday's 1st tour game between Hibs & Heracles Almelo issued a programme for the match. There were around 25 Hibees at the match plus a few Dutch Hibees who I am guessing were from Groningen (had a big green flag with a harp on it).

Look out for a couple of trialists this week also.

Speedway
19-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Look out for a couple of trialists this week also.

You going to make your debut yourself, bud?

Boris
19-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Nearest they've come to fielding a trialist so far was when wee Mick McGhee came close to staggering on to the pitch after a Grolsch or three too many before & during the game in Tubbergen..........................:greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
19-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Nearest they've come to fielding a trialist so far was when wee Mick McGhee came close to staggering on to the pitch after a Grolsch or three too many before & during the game in Tubbergen..........................:greengrin

god bless the wee man :thumbsup:

Frazerbob
19-07-2010, 10:31 AM

What did they say about Gow making little or no impact during his loan spell?

scoopyboy
19-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Scoopyboy understands that kit for Gow was packed before Hibs left for Holland so it would be ready forhim arriving.

Baldy
19-07-2010, 11:08 AM
god bless the wee man :thumbsup:

too right he endured a 30hour bus journey to get there

Toaods
19-07-2010, 12:11 PM
too right he endured a 30hour bus journey to get there

....Megabusplatzen ? :greengrin

IWasThere2016
19-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Scoopyboy understands that kit for Gow was packed before Hibs left for Holland so it would be ready forhim arriving.

No real shock there :cool2:

heretoday
19-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Alan Gow? Oh cease my beating heart.......

Still I suppose he's better value than Joe Cole who has signed for Liverpool at £90,000 a week.

MB62
19-07-2010, 01:28 PM
I thought he would be a good signing for us last year but in reality, he gave us nothing IMO.
Always happy to give players a chance but on the evidence of his performances last season, I feel he would be a waste of a wage.

matty_f
19-07-2010, 01:31 PM
....Megabusplatzen ? :greengrin

More likely to be "******in Mega-******in-bus-******in-platzen":greengrin

blackpoolhibs
19-07-2010, 01:32 PM
I thought he would be a good signing for us last year but in reality, he gave us nothing IMO.
Always happy to give players a chance but on the evidence of his performances last season, I feel he would be a waste of a wage.

He scored a very good goal in his 1st game, but was injured and lacked fitness and sharpness for the rest of his time on loan. You say you are happy to give him a chance, but are not giving him one?:confused:

Dr Jimmy
19-07-2010, 01:44 PM
I honestly think that Gow will be a good signing for us. He was unlucky with injury last time, but he has the ability and has shown it in the Championship a weekly basis.
My only concern is whether he would get a fair crack at it from the fans who seem to have it in for him before he has even signed.......:grr:

Pretty Boy
19-07-2010, 02:08 PM
He scored a very good goal in his 1st game, but was injured and lacked fitness and sharpness for the rest of his time on loan. You say you are happy to give him a chance, but are not giving him one?:confused:

:agree:

It was a rubbish time for Gow to come into the fold at Hibs really. Thy guy was lacking any kind of match sharpness, picked up a knock early on and was thrown into the lions den at Ibrox not long after signing. Add to that we were on a bad run at the time when confidence was at a low ebb and it's hardly surprising Gow didn't set pulses racing.

With a decent pre season behind him and a chance to gel with his new team mates i think Gow will be decent piece of business. I just hope people haven't already judged him based on his limited game time last season and right him off before giving him a chance.

Leithenhibby
19-07-2010, 02:12 PM

It was a rubbish time for Gow to come into the fold at Hibs really. Thy guy was lacking any kind of match sharpness, picked up a knock early on and was thrown into the lions den at Ibrox not long after signing. Add to that we were on a bad run at the time when confidence was at a low ebb and it's hardly surprising Gow didn't set pulses racing.

With a decent pre season behind him and a chance to gel with his new team mates i think Gow will be decent piece of business. I just hope people haven't already judged him based on his limited game time last season and right him off before giving him a chance.

I agree 100% with you & BH. He has a clean slate as far as I'm concerned and MUST be giving the time to take his chance, I'm sure he will be good for us :agree:

Dunbar Hibee
19-07-2010, 02:16 PM

:agree: Agree fully. I think if he signs Gow will bring a lot more to the table than he did last time!

cockneymike
19-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Does this mean that someone else is on the way out?

As Yogi said that he needed to 'shuffle the pack' to be able to get Gow in. Surely McCann can't have been on that much, that the lack of his wages would free up enough cash for Gow to be signed?

CallumLaidlaw
19-07-2010, 02:35 PM

As Yogi said that he needed to 'shuffle the pack' to be able to get Gow in. Surely McCann can't have been on that much, that the lack of his wages would free up enough cash for Gow to be signed?

I reckon that was just manager talk to stop transfer fees and wages getting inflated.

MB62
19-07-2010, 02:55 PM

IF he signs, I will give him a 2nd chance, I just feel on the limited evidence of last season, we could spend the money we will use on him a bit more wisely.

sixtwo
19-07-2010, 03:06 PM
with zemmama, galbraith, Riordan, De graaf, Wotherspoon and Miller..do we need Gow?

I'd prefer us to look at bringing in another defender, holding midfielder or even another out and out striker before bringing in a lightweight, injury prone attacking midfielder.

aberhibsfc
19-07-2010, 03:09 PM

Tbh, the whole team were poor in the 2nd half of the season.

Hughes has sprinkled a little extra quality on the squad, which I believe Gow would add to. I would be happy adding Gow to the current squad. I'd like to keep Bamba but would rather get cash now than nothing later, as long as he doesn't go to either of the OF.

I would hate to see us loose either Riordan or Stokes this season. Potentially another season with a positive outlook beckons. Need to do some damage on the cups.

If were to bring anyone in other than or as well as Gow I'd like another defender.

There's rumours on the go about Nish being on the move, yes he is ungainly, can be annoying at times and is not as fashionable as Stokes or Riordan, but as an SPL goalscorer there's not many other than the aforementioned that score many more than him a season, so I'd rather hold onto him. I'd only let him go if we were replacing with better quality , I do not see Gow being a direct replacement.

Gow is a more entertaining prospect as a forward but he won't get as many goals as Nish.

blackpoolhibs
19-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Tbh, the whole team were poor in the 2nd half of the season.

Hughes has sprinkled a little extra quality on the squad, which I believe Gow would add to. I would be happy adding Gow to the current squad. I'd like to keep Bamba but would rather get cash now than nothing later, as long as he doesn't go to either of the OF.

I would hate to see us loose either Riordan or Stokes this season. Potentially another season with a positive outlook beckons. Need to do some damage on the cups.

If were to bring anyone in other than or as well as Gow I'd like another defender.

There's rumours on the go about Nish being on the move, yes he is ungainly, can be annoying at times and is not as fashionable as Stokes or Riordan, but as an SPL goalscorer there's not many other than the aforementioned that score many more than him a season, so I'd rather hold onto him. I'd only let him go if we were replacing with better quality , I do not see Gow being a direct replacement.

Gow is a more entertaining prospect as a forward but he won't get as many goals as Nish.

I'd think it would be close.

Love the Green
19-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Surely the last thing we need is another lightweight sand dancer...who appears injury prone.

What Yogi has not done is address the lack of physical presence in midfield and added any pace up front.

"keep the faith"

Hibbyradge
19-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Surely the last thing we need is another lightweight sand dancer...who appears injury prone.

What Yogi has not done is address the lack of physical presence in midfield and added any pace up front.

"keep the faith"

De Graaf?

Love the Green
19-07-2010, 03:24 PM
De Graaf?

You seen him yet?

Certainly not physical or pacy.

"keep the faith".

Hibbyradge
19-07-2010, 03:39 PM
You seen him yet?

"keep the faith".

No, I haven't seen him yet, but I thought he was an industrious box to box player who can score goals.

:dunno:

Anyway, if we don't sell Bamba, we might be able to put him in the middle with Stephens at CH.

Also, if we bring in a left back, which I think we should, Ian Murray can also move forward.

Ifs and buts...

Matty_Jack04
19-07-2010, 03:42 PM

can someone please confirm that stokes is in holland as we speak right now?

been hearing stories coming from the rumour hotbed that is harvey nicks

Andy74
19-07-2010, 03:51 PM
You seen him yet?

"keep the faith".

The two things his game have been based around his whole career.

He may have lost a bit of pace but it his all action style that Hughes thinks the fans will love.

Did you watch him much during his carrer or are you basing it on a friendly or two?

Golden Bear
19-07-2010, 03:55 PM
The jury is still very much out on Alan Gow. Maybe Yogi will be using the pre-season fixtures to decide whether or not he should be offered a contract.

He never really proved himself last season ------- out injured for a long period and in the games where he appeared as a sub he seemed unsure as to the role he was supposed to be playing. But then whose fault was that I wonder?

Andy74
19-07-2010, 03:56 PM
can someone please confirm that stokes is in holland as we speak right now?

been hearing stories coming from the rumour hotbed that is harvey nicks

I can confirm that Stokes is NOT in HOLLAND just now.

seanraff07
19-07-2010, 03:57 PM
You seen him yet?

"keep the faith".

If you were only at the Dunfermline game then i don't think you can judge him like that after one game.

KeithTheHibby
19-07-2010, 03:58 PM

Where is he then?

seanraff07
19-07-2010, 03:59 PM

Why not?

He played against Heracles?

And i haven't heard anything about him being injured yet..

Diclonius
19-07-2010, 04:00 PM
He's not in Holland. He's in the Netherlands. :wink:

Andy74
19-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Where is he then?

Nijmegen. Which is a lot further East than Holland.

Miller33
19-07-2010, 05:34 PM
I think Alan Gow will be a good signing for us, aslong as he can get his fitness level upto what it should be and if he can stay clear of injuries then he will do a job for us, fair enough maybe we should be looking to fill other positions but the chance is there to bring in Gow on a free and I think Yogi should get him signed up.

whiskyhibby
19-07-2010, 06:14 PM
I think Alan Gow will be a good signing for us, aslong as he can get his fitness level upto what it should be and if he can stay clear of injuries then he will do a job for us, fair enough maybe we should be looking to fill other positions but the chance is there to bring in Gow on a free and I think Yogi should get him signed up.

Absolutely I remember Collins Desperate to get him to Hibs and I thought he made a good judge of players???

RickyS
19-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Absolutely I remember Collins Desperate to get him to Hibs and I thought he made a good judge of players???

not always!

Gatheussi? Kerr? Noubissie? Alan O'Brien? Clayton Donaldson?

blackpoolhibs
19-07-2010, 07:16 PM
not always!

WHOOSH. :wink:

ChrissyG1875
19-07-2010, 08:43 PM
not always!

:bitchy:

Bostonhibby
19-07-2010, 08:52 PM
I agree 100% with you & BH. He has a clean slate as far as I'm concerned and MUST be giving the time to take his chance, I'm sure he will be good for us :agree:

:agree: Thats the way I am thinking......................