PDA

View Full Version : Maribor - nothing to fear

scott7_0(Prague)
16-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Having seen Maribor play last season against Sparta in the play off round of the Europa League I would say we have nothing to fear. obviously we cannot right them off as Hibs normally always find the hard way to win games. Last season they lost to what ii would say was a poor Sparta team at the start of the season. Sparta won 2-0 in Maribor and 1-0 at home.

Conclusion, be cautious but also confident to win, play on the front foot and I think we can win comfortably..... :agree:

Hibeescott
16-07-2010, 12:51 PM
i would say its a tough draw and one of the most difficult we could have faced.

jgl07
16-07-2010, 12:57 PM
I disagree.

The worst case would have been a Swedish or Danish or Norwegian team who would have been in the middle of their season

scott7_0(Prague)
16-07-2010, 12:58 PM

Curious to find out why you think this?

I disagree.

The worst case would have been a Swedish or Danish or Norwegian team who would have been in the middle of their season

Totally agree.

scoopyboy
16-07-2010, 12:59 PM

Not saying it will be easy but Slovenia and Maribor are well down the ratings. If you check out the coefficients of teams we could have played you will see we have got one of the easier ties.

If you place all your faith in coefficients of course.

If we had been one place worse off in the rankings we would have been unseeded and then we would have found out all about hard draws.

As our learned friend in Prague has posted the tie is winnable.

Baader
16-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Imagine they'll be nae mugs though...

scott7_0(Prague)
16-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Imagine they'll be nae mugs though...

Think the same can be said about all the teams in the draw!

(((Fergus)))
16-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Not saying it will be easy but Slovenia and Maribor are well down the ratings. If you check out the coefficients of teams we could have played you will see we have got one of the easier ties.

If you place all your faith in coefficients of course.

If we had been one place worse off in the rankings we would have been unseeded and then we would have found out all about hard draws.

As our learned friend in Prague has posted the tie is winnable.

NK Maribor had two players in the squad that finished third in England's group, beating Algeria and drawing with USA.

Hal Jordan
16-07-2010, 01:27 PM

Only Sweden or Norway.
Denmark's football season runs the same as ours, with a longer winter break.

Hibeescott
16-07-2010, 01:30 PM
I disagree.

I agree to an extent......but out of the 5 ties we could have got today, it is certainly just about the toughest we could have got. despite the fact Nordsjælland are into their season they are not a strong side and I would have been more confident playing them than Maribor.

I also imagine that Maribor will be a much more intimidating ground to play at, with the 'ultras' and another similar group of fans.

scoopyboy
16-07-2010, 01:35 PM
NK Maribor had two players in the squad that finished third in England's group, beating Algeria and drawing with USA.

We had a player that finished third in the group of death, drawing with Portugal and beating North Korea 3-0.

monktonharp
16-07-2010, 01:39 PM
I agree to an extent......but out of the 5 ties we could have got today, it is certainly just about the toughest we could have got. despite the fact Nordsjælland are into their season they are not a strong side and I would have been more confident playing them than Maribor.

I also imagine that Maribor will be a much more intimidating ground to play at, with the 'ultras' and another similar group of fans. well, that's that then. if we get them,am no gaun,what's the point of going and getting beat,or if we win I could get shot or whatever they do to strangers over there.:yawn:

Hibeescott
16-07-2010, 01:41 PM
well, that's that then. if we get them,am no gaun,what's the point of going and getting beat,or if we win I could get shot or whatever they do to strangers over there.:yawn:

EH?????

truehibernian
16-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Decent draw, not easy not too difficult. But I am sure both the other teams think the same of Hibs with our recent record in Europe. Have to think positive and say that both Hungary and Slovenia will be ideal for the players and fans regards facilities, travel requirements, weather, price of beer :greengrin. Videoton have invested heavily in Hungarian terms this summer and Maribor are managed by their all time (short history I know) leading player who was quite handy himself. Would like Videoton out of the two, plus I am sure that the club would see a wee marketing ploy also........Houchy Houchen t-shirts getting printed as we speak. I think wee Gareth scored as well if memory serves me well.

Hal Jordan
16-07-2010, 02:29 PM
despite the fact Nordsjælland are into their season

Guys, the Danish League doesn't start until tomorrow. So it probably would've been better to get Nordsjælland...they'll only have played 3 games.

Ryan69
16-07-2010, 02:42 PM

Have you even heard this team? I think its funny how all of a sudden this team are a big team.........They are rubbish and we should certainly beat them! :wink:

Dashing Bob S
16-07-2010, 02:52 PM
I thought there was nothing to fear going to places like Perth and Hamilton last season. I'm sure Maribor will be delighted and fancy their chances - assuming they overcome Videoton.

The truth is there are too many imponderables, our unsettled defence being one. We could get badly turned over there, equally, we could be quite comfortable.

bob12345
16-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Going by their recent European record, no great shakes. And they didn't win their league last year either, however they do have experience of playing in Europe nearly every season. I'd expect it to be very tight. Glad we have the away leg first.

(((Fergus)))
16-07-2010, 03:08 PM
We had a player that finished third in the group of death, drawing with Portugal and beating North Korea 3-0.

Yeah, I thought about him but I'm not sure how long he'll be with us for

Phil D. Rolls
16-07-2010, 03:24 PM

I would tend to listen to the person who lives in the Czech Republic myself.

dalkeith stu
16-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Looks like they have a dodge keeper.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U3ExsOUuVQ&feature=player_embedded#!

Nothing to fear!!!:wink:

Phil D. Rolls
16-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Looks like they have a dodge keeper.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U3ExsOUuVQ&feature=player_embedded#!

Nothing to fear!!!:wink:

Sounds like a flat bed truck. :greengrin

iwasthere1972
16-07-2010, 04:11 PM

I would like to think that they will be saying the same about us but looking forward to spending a couple of days here in Edinburgh. Hopefully their fans will enjoy our city but will go away disappointed with the result.

(((Fergus)))
16-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Here's some more video of the, eh, Videoton game. Maribor had 39% possession and were lucky to get a draw. The match was played in Győr, incidentally, not in Szekesfehervar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtLWPUmvN0k

Hibeescott
16-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Have you even heard this team? I think its funny how all of a sudden this team are a big team.........They are rubbish and we should certainly beat them! :wink:

yes I have heard of Maribor, as I am sure most folk have who keep an eye on football throughout europe.

What I have said is been taken out of context here though. At no point did I say they are a big club, I simply said that out of the 5 possible ties we could have got from pool 3 today, IMO they are probably the strongest team we could have got. That isn't saying we shouldnt or won't be winning the tie. Looking at their european record, in the last 5 years they have lost narrowly to Parma, Partizan Belgrade and beaten Villarreal over two legs. So I think that proves my point they are no slouches, compared of course to the other teams we could have got today.

But.....we could play videoton in any case.

Musselbound
16-07-2010, 05:19 PM
yes I have heard of Maribor, as I am sure most folk have who keep an eye on football throughout europe.

What I have said is been taken out of context here though. At no point did I say they are a big club, I simply said that out of the 5 possible ties we could have got from pool 3 today, IMO they are probably the strongest team we could have got. That isn't saying we shouldnt or won't be winning the tie. Looking at their european record, in the last 5 years they have lost narrowly to Parma, Partizan Belgrade and beaten Villarreal over two legs. So I think that proves my point they are no slouches, compared of course to the other teams we could have got today.

But.....we could play videoton in any case.

Agree. Any team that's recently beaten Villarreal over two legs has to be taken seriously. They also have a hell of a lot more European experience than Hibs, which worries me. Maybe not Champions League material like they were a few years ago but anybody expecting Hibs to comfortably beat this lot seems to be overlooking recent performances in Europe when Scottish clubs have fallen to lesser teams than this. Yes, it's winnable whoever we play, but Hibs will need to be at their best in both games imo.

MrHibs1982
17-07-2010, 04:23 AM
I would tend to listen to the person who lives in the Czech Republic myself.

I would tend to listen to someone from Hungary or Slovenia about these two teams ideally... :wink:

scott7_0(Prague)
17-07-2010, 05:29 AM
I would tend to listen to someone from Hungary or Slovenia about these two teams ideally... :wink:

I have recently been to both countries if that counts!!:greengrin

sahib
17-07-2010, 08:51 AM
[QUOTE=Fergus;2516366]Here's some more video of the, eh, Videoton game. Maribor had 39% possession and were lucky to get a draw. The match was played in Győr, incidentally, not in Szekesfehervar.

From that short clip both teams look like they can pass the ball well. I am a not confident but then I never am.:greengrin

heretoday
17-07-2010, 09:56 AM
On the contrary, there is everything to fear. This is Hibs we're talking about!

Musselbound
17-07-2010, 11:52 AM
On the contrary, there is everything to fear. This is Hibs we're talking about!

Fear is maybe not the right word, but last night's result in the Netherlands shows we are going to have to step up our game to get anywhere in Europe. Maribor in particular have a good recent domestic record along with European experience and one or two notable results. Unfortunately Hibs are nobodies in Europe these days and we need to start reversing that trend.

California-Hibs
17-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Slightly off topic here sorry, but if we win this game over two legs do we then go into the group stages or is it another game then the group stages?

lobster
17-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Fear no but respect for sure. I'm glad we got either of those two keeping in mind the ease with which Elfsborg turned us over in the Intertoto. Getting to the group stages would be tremendous.

Hibeescott
17-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Slightly off topic here sorry, but if we win this game over two legs do we then go into the group stages or is it another game then the group stages?

we will have one more tie before the group stages, and more than likely be unseeded for the next round.

jgl07
18-07-2010, 02:01 AM
we will have one more tie before the group stages, and more than likely be unseeded for the next round.
More than likely unseeded?

It's an absolute certainty that Hibs will be unseeded for the Challenge Round.

Steve-O
18-07-2010, 09:11 AM
If Hibs make the group stages, I will be astounded.

I'd even be surprised if we get through this round.

Sorry!

ekhibee
18-07-2010, 03:23 PM
If Hibs make the group stages, I will be astounded.

I'd even be surprised if we get through this round.

Sorry!
Sadly, I fall into the same category as you!! Obviously we have to believe we can win this tie, and we probably can, but to be confident against Maribor (if it's them we play) IMO would be very dangerous indeed. Considering how bad we were against Elfsborg, I would be quite happy to settle for a goalless draw over there.

heretoday
18-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Please no more mention of the Elfs word. I still have nightmares about all those seagulls!