PDA

View Full Version : Hughes wants Gow back

Hibs90
13-07-2010, 09:41 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/8817532.stm

No thanks Yogi. :bitchy:

McHibby
13-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Hmmm. He didn't convince me to be honest.

scoopyboy
13-07-2010, 09:44 PM

I think its a certainty, especially now that Plymouth have cancelled his contract

Wouldn't surprise me if its already been sorted, pretty much identical situation to Michael Hart.

Westie1875
13-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Not worth breaking the bank for, I'd rather stick with what we've got than get rid of someone to bring him in.

jws1875
13-07-2010, 09:45 PM
I think if he was given time to fit into the squad he could maybe be a decent player

gackohibs
13-07-2010, 09:50 PM
I think if he was given time to fit into the squad he could maybe be a decent player

agreed.
at full fitness would be an asset. Injured/lacking match fitness = a waste of time/wages.

.Sean.
13-07-2010, 09:50 PM
"There has been a lot of work going on at the stadium and it may mean I have to shuffle the pack a bit to try and bring in Alan or anyone else."

The work at the stadium is actually costing a lot more than the club originally envisaged, and Yogi will toil to bring more players to the club unless we ship others out?

Rasta_Hibs
13-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Can he play left midfield?

CapitalHibs
13-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Can he play left midfield?

Yes.... and I would much see Gow there, than Rankin or Stevenson

Jim44
13-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Just when you think Hughes is getting over the nightmare of the barren spell last season, with good signings and a promising start to the pre-season, he lets his guard down with a disappointing display of poor judgement. I don't think Gow adds anything to the squad, especially if we have to seriously consider the financial implications of his arrival. C'mon Yogi, get over the 'Falkirk Connection'.

scoopyboy
13-07-2010, 10:02 PM
"There has been a lot of work going on at the stadium and it may mean I have to shuffle the pack a bit to try and bring in Alan or anyone else."

The work at the stadium is actually costing a lot more than the club originally envisaged, and Yogi will toil to bring more players to the club unless we ship others out?

Not what I've heard Sean. Fixed price at start.

Where did you hear this?

Hibs90
13-07-2010, 10:06 PM

Of course I'd rather Deek there if he's not getting played up front or even Galbraith rather than Gow, Rankin or Stevenson.

jdships
13-07-2010, 10:09 PM

Where did you hear this?

That's what I have heard from within the club although was told there's a couple of small "add on's" re extra safety/security lighting at both ends of the stand.
:agree:

andrew70
13-07-2010, 10:11 PM
i think it's more to do with hibs not wanting to go over the top rather than having no money left. I wouldn't be surprised tho to see a few leave

.Sean.
13-07-2010, 10:14 PM

Where did you hear this?
I just had a thought that with Hughes mentioning the amount of work that is taking place at Easter Road and then saying that he might need to do a bit of work to get anybody else in that the new stand has cost a wee bit more than they had imagined and that the transfer budget would take a little dent because of this.

In saying that I may be reading too much into what Yogi said.

Wembley67
13-07-2010, 10:14 PM
That's what I have heard from within the club although was told there's a couple of small "add on's" re extra safety/security lighting at both ends of the stand.

There is no way the club would go into a 'floating' price deal for the stand. As you say JD, this sounds much more plausible.

CapitalHibs
13-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Maybe it all revolves around Bamba's knee injury and his transfer being scuppered:dunno:

Jack
13-07-2010, 10:17 PM

As said previously, Hibs have the build on a very fixed deal. IIRC the words used were that there was no way the stand would cost more than budgeted for.

In the grand scheme of things even if 'small' extras were added on to the contarct price I would be surprised if it would affect the player budget to the extent Yogi is going from looking at 2 or 3 players to not being able to afford one. :confused:

This upgrading of the lighting would be from 40 watt bulbs to 100 watt by any chance? :faf:

CapitalHibs
13-07-2010, 10:19 PM

Damn - these lightbulbs are so expensive these days:wink:

seanraff07
13-07-2010, 10:20 PM

Fair enough doing that, but i wouldn't ship anyone out for him to be honest.

Tricla
13-07-2010, 10:24 PM
agreed.
at full fitness would be an asset. Injured/lacking match fitness = a waste of time/wages.

Would this not be true of any player?

Turnip
13-07-2010, 10:34 PM
I would take Gow, Yogi knows the player and he has shown, in small patches admittedley, that he can play. The same could be said of Miller and Stokes before they came to Hibs at the start of last season. With a fit and rejuvinated Gow, Galbraith and Stevenson vying for the left midfield position that would hopefully mean that Yogi now thinks that Deeks has added the workrate to go with his undoubted ability to play in his preffered centre forward role alongside Stokes or Nish. It's a yes from me :thumbsup:

erskine-hibby
13-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Showed nothing at rankgers, nothing at Plymouth, nothing when he was up here with us....why would we want him back????

Diclonius
13-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Showed nothing at rankgers, nothing at Plymouth, nothing when he was up here with us....why would we want him back????

He was excellent for Blackpool and nearly transferred to Wolves, who were top of the Championship at the time.

A fully fit Gow would be an asset to the team. Sign him up, Yogi. :agree:

Hainan Hibs
13-07-2010, 11:44 PM
If Gow could get back up to form like Stokes and Miller did, then I'd welcome him to ER.

500miles
14-07-2010, 12:08 AM
What we lack from midfield is someone who likes to run at players. Zemmama is injured too often, and while Wotherspoon is getting to the point where he will be adding consistancy to his game, a fully fit Gow doing the same on the left would be, 9 times out of 10, to our advantage.

I reckon Yogi will need to cut the squad down though, so there could be a few suprising faces leaving sooner rather than later.

CapitalHibs
14-07-2010, 01:15 AM
What we lack from midfield is someone who likes to run at players. Zemmama is injured too often, and while Wotherspoon is getting to the point where he will be adding consistancy to his game, a fully fit Gow doing the same on the left would be, 9 times out of 10, to our advantage.

I reckon Yogi will need to cut the squad down though, so there could be a few suprising faces leaving sooner rather than later.

I would agree with this. I think 4-4-2 is becoming a bit outdated with the more succesful teams like Germany and Spain setting up as 4-2-3-1 or two-phase system. That is 2 holding/organizing - (for us that would be Miller and McBride) 3 attacking mid who also track back ( e.g. De Graaf, Riordan and Gow) and 1 (Stokes) up front. IMO, Hughes has to have the players to make this work and also the flexibility to adjust the formation when necessary.

Big90inOz
14-07-2010, 03:21 AM
I didn't think he showed anything the last time, light weight and dissinterested.

If he does sign Hibs should specify he must get a change of hair style, it has to be one of the worse ever.

oneone73
14-07-2010, 06:19 AM
I would take Gow, Yogi knows the player and he has shown, in small patches admittedley, that he can play. The same could be said of Miller and Stokes before they came to Hibs at the start of last season. With a fit and rejuvinated Gow, Galbraith and Stevenson vying for the left midfield position that would hopefully mean that Yogi now thinks that Deeks has added the workrate to go with his undoubted ability to play in his preffered centre forward role alongside Stokes or Nish. It's a yes from me :thumbsup:

:top marks

Big Frank
14-07-2010, 06:32 AM
He was gash when he came played last season.

In saying that, I will give him his chance should he have the honour of wearing the famous green jersy for a second time.

SouthMoroccoStu
14-07-2010, 06:42 AM

offshorehibby
14-07-2010, 07:09 AM
He was gash because he was injured and unfit for all his time at ER. I would be interested to see what a fully fit Gow could do. Yogi obviously sees something in him.

BSEJVT
14-07-2010, 07:13 AM
I think its Hughes paving the way for the inevitable departures and relating it to the cost of the stand to try and soften the blow.

In my opinion there is no way the monies for the new stand were in place so they need raised.

I would also have though we lost at least another £1m, probably over £2m last year so that also needs repaid.

Other than that the debt will be getting to alarming proportions again.

I would expect that deals for Bamba and either Stokes, Riordan or Zemmama are in place with a couple lined up to come in to replace and the only question is when it happens.

I would be looking towards very early August. i.e. in our next financial year.

bighairyfaeleith
14-07-2010, 07:46 AM
We should only sign him if the players leaving to make way are of a worse quality. So rankin leaving would be a yes from me, riordan leaving would be a no!

Trouble is nobody wants our poorer players so getting rid of the likes of rankin could be tricky.

Speedway
14-07-2010, 08:17 AM
I think its a certainty, especially now that Plymouth have cancelled his contract

Wouldn't surprise me if its already been sorted, pretty much identical situation to Michael Hart.

It's been sorted for a while now. Yogi's also got room in the budget. The problem is the net squad size he's agreed with SL, that's why he needs to shuffle his pack.

Oscar Lomax
14-07-2010, 08:20 AM
He was excellent for Blackpool and nearly transferred to Wolves, who were top of the Championship at the time.

Exactly ! Gow should now be getting back to peak fitness now. Yogi knows the player and knows his abilities. I would take him back.

Dr Jimmy
14-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Gow appears to be a slow starter at most clubs, but when he settles in he becomes a good player for every club he has been at (the exception being Plymouth, who were in turmoil). There is a Norwich fan at my work who raved about him and a Wolves fan who was disappointed they never got him. These are guys that watched Championship football week in week out (until Norwich went down.. :rolleyes:) and they think he is a player.
If he can be a success in the Championship he can be a success in the SPL

Arch Stanton
14-07-2010, 08:27 AM
As said previously, Hibs have the build on a very fixed deal. IIRC the words used were that there was no way the stand would cost more than budgeted for.

In the grand scheme of things even if 'small' extras were added on to the contarct price I would be surprised if it would affect the player budget to the extent Yogi is going from looking at 2 or 3 players to not being able to afford one. :confused:

This upgrading of the lighting would be from 40 watt bulbs to 100 watt by any chance? :faf:

I'm sure Hibs said the delivery date wsa a few weeks into the season - it would be money well spent if this was brought forward. I just wonder if the stand is racing ahead on the back of extra overtime.

I must say I got the horrors that Hughes would consider reshuffling the pack to bring Gow in - just when it looks like he might be working things out, the lack of clarity that was evident last season shows it's head again - I just hope he can get his feet back on the ground.

aberhibsfc
14-07-2010, 08:30 AM
I agree a fully fit and motivated Gow would be an asset, he does have quality and pre-season would be
the right time to get him in.

Only if this didn't mean we had to sell one of the family jewels to do so. Riordan, Stokes, Millar. I'm resigned to the fact that Bamba may leave although again I'd like him to stay. But only if he signed a new deal, I don't fancy the prospect of him leaving for nothing.

My biggest fear is that Bamba was going to leave and Hibs had counted on this for budgeting.
If he's injured and no-one is willing to pay for him right now, we may lose one of the others
to balance the books.

I'd really like to see Riordan on a new contract with him and Stoke banging the goals in next season.

Their goals are a valuable asset to Hibs, I'd like to keep it that way.

If Gow comes in to add to the squad then I'm happy but not at the expense of one of our fan favourites.

EskbankHibby
14-07-2010, 08:32 AM
If we are going to get him we should get him now so he can hopefully get a full/good pre-season under his belt.

I didn't see anything last season that would indicate he would merit a good wage in a position that may stifle the development of Galbraith but in Yogi we trust.

Stevie Reid
14-07-2010, 08:44 AM
He's 27 so coming to his peak and has his 'best years in front of him' so fits the Yogi criteria. He obviously has ability and is available for free - as long as he's not a top earner, I'd take him in a second.

My only concern is that Yogi said that he's the sort of player who needs an arm around him every now and then, so not very good when the chips are down perhaps - however, his talent when displayed makes him a potential match winner, which automatically sets him apart from about 95% of SPL players.

Expecting Rain
14-07-2010, 08:52 AM
With a run of games and back to full fitness Gow would prove to be a very good aquisition to the team.

IWasThere2016
14-07-2010, 09:01 AM
I think its Hughes paving the way for the inevitable departures and relating it to the cost of the stand to try and soften the blow.

In my opinion there is no way the monies for the new stand were in place so they need raised.

I would also have though we lost at least another £1m, probably over £2m last year so that also needs repaid.

I would expect that deals for Bamba and either Stokes, Riordan or Zemmama are in place with a couple lined up to come in to replace and the only question is when it happens.

I agree 100% with you T1

It's been sorted for a while now. Yogi's also got room in the budget. The problem is the net squad size he's agreed with SL, that's why he needs to shuffle his pack.

Spot on - There is room in the budget. The price for the new stand was a guaranteed fixed price - any variation will be for changes requested by Hibs only.

--------
14-07-2010, 09:07 AM

I agree 100% with you T1

Spot on - There is room in the budget. The price for the new stand was a guaranteed fixed price - any variation will be for changes requested by Hibs only.

:agree: That makes sense. It would also allow whoever's leaving to play for us in the Europa qualifiers and hopefully help us into the first round proper....

MacBean
14-07-2010, 09:19 AM

Kaiser_Sauzee
14-07-2010, 09:29 AM

Disagree completely. I think Gow could be a player.

IWasThere2016
14-07-2010, 09:31 AM
He's 27 so coming to his peak and has his 'best years in front of him' so fits the Yogi criteria. He obviously has ability and is available for free - as long as he's not a top earner, I'd take him in a second.

My only concern is that Yogi said that he's the sort of player who needs an arm around him every now and then, so not very good when the chips are down perhaps - however, his talent when displayed makes him a potential match winner, which automatically sets him apart from about 95% of SPL players.

Was on £4k basic + £2k per appearence at Der Hun IIRC.

Plymouth will have matched this - we won't .. our figs will be c. half these ones!

Spike Mandela
14-07-2010, 09:35 AM
The main thing we lack in forward areas is pace. Gow does not provide that.

Most people would agree that problem areas last year were defence and midfield. Are we saying we have resolved these issues by signing 1 midfielder, 1 RB and an 18yr old CH?
An injury to the injury prone Hart or De Graaf and we are back to the players who struggled so badly tail end of last season.

Guess what I am trying to say is, better to further strengthen defence/midfield and leave the luxury of Gow. Give Byrne a chance and/or some other young player up front.

Steve20
14-07-2010, 09:39 AM

I really hope not. I think Bamba is almost certain to be away. However, to lose either Stokes or Riordan would be a nightmare.

SalfordHibs
14-07-2010, 09:50 AM

No thanks much rather have a fit Chris Killen than Gow...Killen is now a free agent aswell :wink:

--------
14-07-2010, 10:03 AM
No thanks much rather have a fit Chris Killen than Gow...Killen is now a free agent aswell :wink:

A "fit Chris Killen"? What's that? Never heard of that.... :wink:

SalfordHibs
14-07-2010, 10:07 AM
A "fit Chris Killen"? What's that? Never heard of that.... :wink:

Hughes is looking for someone to bolster our attack Killen fits the bill does he not?

Looked fit enough at the World Cup mate :wink:

M11BMO
14-07-2010, 10:10 AM
No doubt about it, that Gow could be a very good player, when fully fit.

MSK
14-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Hughes is looking for someone to bolster our attack Killen fits the bill does he not?

Looked fit enough at the World Cup mate :wink:But fit enough for a whole season ..?...he played a couple o games for New Zealand ..that prob was his limit before he ended up on the treatment table again ..not worth the wage imo ..better spent on someone else ..

SalfordHibs
14-07-2010, 10:28 AM
But fit enough for a whole season ..?...he played a couple o games for New Zealand ..that prob was his limit before he ended up on the treatment table again ..not worth the wage imo ..better spent on someone else ..

Seemed to keep off the treatment table at Boro, IMHO he is far better than Nish, better than Gow aswell.

Musselbound
14-07-2010, 10:45 AM

Fair points initially. However, the reason he wasn't transferred to Wolves was because he failed a medical.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jan/09/alan-gow-wolverhampton-wanderers-rangers

I think that tells us all we need to know. Hibs have taken on enough players with a history of injury at the moment in my opinion.

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Fair points initially. However, the reason he wasn't transferred to Wolves was because he failed a medical.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jan/09/alan-gow-wolverhampton-wanderers-rangers

I think that tells us all we need to know. Hibs have taken on enough players with a history of injury at the moment in my opinion.

Who?:confused:

Wilson
14-07-2010, 10:54 AM

It doesn't tell us all we need to know at all. It tells us that at that particular point in his career he was not fit enough to pass a medical at Wolves. That is all.

Hibs have to play the game. Really decent players with no issues are seldom in our price range. We can sign a fit huddy or we can go for a player with a bit of class and a few question marks about his fitness or application. I'll take the latter thanks.

Sicknote Killen was one we should have stayed away from apparently - he worked out okay. Stokes couldn't cut it down south and only scored against the weaker teams in the SPL when he was at Falkirk - he seems to be doing alright. It wont always work in our favour but I'd certainly take a chance on Gow.

johnbc70
14-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Simple - offer him a contract heavily weighted towards appearances. Low basic salary, so if he is
unfit or does not play he is not a top earner. If he is playing regulary then that means he is fit and
worthy of his place in the team so he earns more. Everyone is a winner.

ionahibby
14-07-2010, 11:25 AM
The main thing we lack in forward areas is pace. Gow does not provide that.

Most people would agree that problem areas last year were defence and midfield. Are we saying we have resolved these issues by signing 1 midfielder, 1 RB and an 18yr old CH?
An injury to the injury prone Hart or De Graaf and we are back to the players who struggled so badly tail end of last season.

Guess what I am trying to say is, better to further strengthen defence/midfield and leave the luxury of Gow. Give Byrne a chance and/or some other young player up front.

Would it be a massive disaster if we didn't sign anybody else? I agree there are still areas we need to improve but if diasater struck and there was no more money for players then surely we could still have a decent crack at next season with the players we have got no :confused: imho 4th should be easy for that team at present(with no depatures of course) if we missed out on third!

MyJo
14-07-2010, 11:26 AM

Plymouth will have matched this - we won't .. our figs will be c. half these ones!

So £4k a week at Huns/Plymouth without getting a game or about £3k a week with us and actually getting to play.......doesn't seem that bad TBH.

Spike Mandela
14-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Would it be a massive disaster if we didn't sign anybody else? I agree there are still areas we need to improve but if diasater struck and there was no more money for players then surely we could still have a decent crack at next season with the players we have got no :confused: imho 4th should be easy for that team at present(with no depatures of course) if we missed out on third!

Guess it depends which Hibs team turns up, the first half or second half of last season:wink:

I see Hughes is being brutally honest, seems like any new additions down to the board........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8819830.stm

MyJo
14-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Seemed to keep off the treatment table at Boro, IMHO he is far better than Nish, better than Gow aswell.

true, but he is also a tosser :agree:

Sick Boy
14-07-2010, 11:31 AM
I'd take him. He has shown enough ability in the past that when fully fit, he'd be an asset to our squad. He's been released from Plymouth so won't cost us a transfer fee. Give him a performance related 1 year deal and if he does enough in that time he'll earn himself another contract.

Musselbound
14-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Who?:confused:

Ian Murray who has done well, Zemmama who is a great player when fit (but how often is that?) and Michael Hart who hasn't played much football of late and we need to wait and see how he does. That's a few off the top of my head.

It doesn't tell us all we need to know at all. It tells us that at that particular point in his career he was not fit enough to pass a medical at Wolves. That is all.

Hibs have to play the game. Really decent players with no issues are seldom in our price range. We can sign a fit huddy or we can go for a player with a bit of class and a few question marks about his fitness or application. I'll take the latter thanks.

Sicknote Killen was one we should have stayed away from apparently - he worked out okay. Stokes couldn't cut it down south and only scored against the weaker teams in the SPL when he was at Falkirk - he seems to be doing alright. It wont always work in our favour but I'd certainly take a chance on Gow.

Okay, I didn't mean there is no debate. Maybe the wrong choice of expression but the key is really "good player when fit". Gow hasn't played an awful lot of football since 2007. About 50 games and 7 goals in 3 seasons isn't a particularly great return and then you have to add in his inconsistency. I think he is a skilful player and I was quite excited about the prospect when we signed him in January. But then he comes in and he's injured yet again. I'm not so excited about the prospect of him coming back although I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

The Silver Fox
14-07-2010, 11:40 AM

To honest he is a decent player but I don't think he is worth half the amount quoted above. At the end of the day it will be up to Gow and the Tache, but I would not be pushing the boat out for a player who has done nothing since he left Falkirk and that is now three/four years ago.

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-07-2010, 11:54 AM
If Hughes is already at a point with the budget, after only bringing in three players, that he has to juggle figures or move others on, then I would rather that was done with a view to signing a player who will make a difference. Not a player who's career is littered with false starts and ifs' and ands'.

J-C
14-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Highes knows what the lad can do, he wasn't match fit last year and carried a few wee niggles, so he didn't show what he can. Lets all be honest here, we were trying our hardest to sign him before he went to the Huns, as usual out west things didn't pan out for him, so he tried his luck down south, injury has held him back but if we can get the same player who lit up the league with Falkirk, then I'd be happy.

GreenPJ
14-07-2010, 12:07 PM
This could of course be some public comment to try and temper any potential prospects wage demands.

SalfordHibs
14-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Personally i would like to see us buy an experienced centre half if Bamba is leaving.

Would anyone be happy at Gow replacing either Deeks or Stokes i certainly wouldn't surely Griffiths and maybe Goodwillie would be a better option.

Deeks 20 odd goals a season, Stokes 20 odd goals a season, Gow doesn't exactly come under that kind of talent.

persevere1875
14-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Simple - offer him a contract heavily weighted towards appearances. Low basic salary, so if he is
unfit or does not play he is not a top earner. If he is playing regulary then that means he is fit and
worthy of his place in the team so he earns more. Everyone is a winner.

:top marks

Totally agree, if you want a contract, come and prove your value

Steve20
14-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Personally i would like to see us buy an experienced centre half if Bamba is leaving.

Would anyone be happy at Gow replacing either Deeks or Stokes i certainly wouldn't surely Griffiths and maybe Goodwillie would be a better option.

Deeks 20 odd goals a season, Stokes 20 odd goals a season, Gow doesn't exactly come under that kind of talent.

Exactly. Which is why I really hope we are not bringing in Gow and then selling Riordan.

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2010, 12:37 PM

When did Deeks or Stokes leave? Before you go on with the amateur dramatics, if gow signs, as far as i can see, he's a replacement for Benji. :confused:

MyJo
14-07-2010, 12:45 PM
When did Deeks or Stokes leave? Before you go on with the amateur dramatics, if gow signs, as far as i can see, he's a replacement for Benji. :confused:

:agree: quite possibly Yogi has seen the light and will have Gow & Galbraith lined up for the attacking left midfield role that Riordan has been filling and allow Deeks to do what he does best and be a striker.

Speedway
14-07-2010, 12:49 PM
:agree: quite possibly Yogi has seen the light and will have Gow & Galbraith lined up for the attacking left midfield role that Riordan has been filling and allow Deeks to do what he does best and be a striker.

We've been setting up as a 4-4-1-1 so far so that is possible.

I think we'll need a big striker coming in and that's why I think Yogi will end up going for ex Skonto Riga forward Zdop Hemmertahm that we were linked with recently.

SalfordHibs
14-07-2010, 12:56 PM

I would like to see that happening, although i fear we are in for the storm before the calm i.e. if Stokes & Deeks do leave.

aberhibsfc
14-07-2010, 01:28 PM
I'd take him. He has shown enough ability in the past that when fully fit, he'd be an asset to our squad. He's been released from Plymouth so won't cost us a transfer fee. Give him a performance related 1 year deal and if he does enough in that time he'll earn himself another contract.

I agree there should be some element of appearance or performance related pay to protect ourselves.

IMO 1 Year deals are dangerous, if they get the platform and perform they become would become a transfer target. One which teams could wait and get for free or pay a pittance to release them from contract.

The Yams are broke, can't afford an outlay but still persist in paying bloated wages, they are not adverse to trying to get one over us. Rangers have no real money but if they can pick up an inform proven SPL player
for free on reduced wages they'd be sniffing about. You can't rule out Celtic or any English clubs either.

The best option for me is a 1 year with element of appearances (if he ain't performing then he
won't play), performance is to subjective and if Hughes plays him then he obviously accepts he is
performing, whether we believe so or not. I would include a 1 - 2 year option with an agreed fixed
which provides him with some security and Hibs with some get out but still in control of players contract.

My thoughts for what they are worth.

This still doesn't clear up whether or not he should come and if we are stretching to get him in
at the expense of someone we'd rather hold onto.

If we can retain the squad, possibly losing Bamba (preferrably not) and we can afford him, well lets give it a try.

--------
14-07-2010, 02:56 PM

Looked fit enough at the World Cup mate :wink:

World Cup was three games and he was motivated - hoping for a new contract somewhere.

Once he GETS his new contract, its, "Oh, me back!" or, "Oh! me hamstring!" or, "Oh! me Achilles tendon!"

IIRC he was on our books for about a year and a half, and was only fit for about four months of that. I agree he's a good player - when fit. I just don't trust him to be fit for more than one game in four.

sesoim
14-07-2010, 04:18 PM

I agree to an extent, but Gow is injury prone, so you'd end up with them two still playing most weeks.

Also, if he is worth signing depending whether "finances at the club may scupper any deal", why the hell was he sitting on the bench for the last half dozen games? Surely there are better players we can get on a limited budget, and in other positions that have greater need, ie LB (and push Murray into midfield), CB (if Bamba leaves as expected) and CF (we need a better target man than Nish).

sesoim
14-07-2010, 04:23 PM
World Cup was three games and he was motivated - hoping for a new contract somewhere.

Once he GETS his new contract, its, "Oh, me back!" or, "Oh! me hamstring!" or, "Oh! me Achilles tendon!"

IIRC he was on our books for about a year and a half, and was only fit for about four months of that. I agree he's a good player - when fit. I just don't trust him to be fit for more than one game in four.

Did Gow manage 1 game in 4 for us after he joined us? I'd rather take a player who scores 15 in 24 like Killen did than a player who doesn't appear to have a position.

sesoim
14-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Gow appears to be a slow starter at most clubs, but when he settles in he becomes a good player for every club he has been at (the exception being Plymouth, who were in turmoil). There is a Norwich fan at my work who raved about him and a Wolves fan who was disappointed they never got him. These are guys that watched Championship football week in week out (until Norwich went down.. :rolleyes:) and they think he is a player.
If he can be a success in the Championship he can be a success in the SPL

Surely a few decent teams would want to sign him then?

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2010, 04:29 PM
FFS riordan and stokes leaving, i give up.

ancienthibby
14-07-2010, 04:41 PM
FFS riordan and stokes leaving, i give up.

Was interested to see that in the Dunfy game, Deeks both played 90 mins and was given the captain's armband after both Hogg and Murray were substituted.

I read this as a clear signal from Yogi to Deeks about how much the former values the latter!!

down-the-slope
14-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Guess it depends which Hibs team turns up, the first half or second half of last season:wink:

I see Hughes is being brutally honest, seems like any new additions down to the board........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8819830.stm

Thats a bit disingenuous...it may be the board that make the conclusion...but its the number of season tickets sold that will determine whether we can afford to offer more contracts.....

marinello59
14-07-2010, 04:50 PM
I would like to see that happening, although i fear we are in for the storm before the calm i.e. if Stokes & Deeks do leave.

Who says any of them are leaving?

scoopyboy
14-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Did Gow manage 1 game in 4 for us after he joined us? I'd rather take a player who scores 15 in 24 like Killen did than a player who doesn't appear to have a position.

He didn't get many games because he was carrying an injury.

So if you want to compare like with like Killen didn't score 15 in 24 he scored 15 in a season.

truehibernian
14-07-2010, 05:46 PM
I think also you have to take into account that Alan Gow is a very technically gifted player who would no doubt be superb in a team playing with confidence. As scoopy says he was carrying an injury, the team hit a bad patch of form, and the team as a unit played badly. Not easy to come in to a side in bits and pieces of games when the games are going away from you. Hopefully Yogi will make the team more resilient this season (though sadly I am not confident there is enough real grit) and if as expected Gow arrives, he can play in a side that is confident and playing some good football. No doubting at all he is a talented player IMHO. I have heard that we have a Dutch defensive midfielder on trial also although again that is just East Mains gossip. Nothing confirmed.

SalfordHibs
14-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Who says any of them are leaving?

It's well known that Blackpool will look over Deek in the pre season game and Celtic have Stokes on their radar, wether they leave is anyones guess.

EasterRoad4Ever
14-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Never have liked those prove your worth deals. Remember the 3 month deal we gave Agathe ? We should have the info and guts to make a proper offer or not.

Hibs90
14-07-2010, 06:08 PM
It's well known that Blackpool will look over Deek in the pre season game and Celtic have Stokes on their radar, wether they leave is anyones guess.

Please tell me how it is well known and where you found out that Blackpool will be looking over Deek in the pre season game?

Please tell me how you know Celtic have Stokes on their radar aswell?

Oh wait, football rumours? :yawn:

SalfordHibs
14-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Please tell me how it is well known and where you found out that Blackpool will be looking over Deek in the pre season game?

Please tell me how you know Celtic have Stokes on their radar aswell?

Oh wait, football rumours? :yawn:

Reeko unlike you i have my sources :wink: I see your record player is still stuck on that same record though...Get with the times CD's are the future :greengrin

bingo70
14-07-2010, 06:13 PM

No it's not, there's been lots of rumours about it on here but you should know better than most how unreliable transfer rumours can be, you shouldn't take everything you hear as gospel.

Not sure if it's been covered before as i can't be arsed reading the whole thread but IMO if we sign Gow again i'd like it to be on a 2 year deal and let him relax and settle with a club so he can start enjoying his football again, it can't be good for a player jumping from one loan deal to another, i think it's possible that he's been trying too hard and feeling too much pressure to perform.

I know he was pish with us but i think there is a player in there and IMO there's absolutely no chance Gow would be signed to replace Riordan or Stokes, he'd be Benji's replacement, if one of those two are sold i'm about 99% certain we'd bring someone else in.

marinello59
14-07-2010, 06:17 PM

Guess if you make enough stuff up you will be right eventually. :wink:

MyJo
14-07-2010, 06:20 PM

failing that just say you knew about deals after they have been done and blame your faulty blackberry for not getting it on here beforehand :cool2: :greengrin

SalfordHibs
14-07-2010, 06:21 PM

IH was quoted in the press saying it, oh and Celtic have also confirmed in the press about Stokes...oh wait i must have made that up, turn it in :bitchy:

marinello59
14-07-2010, 06:23 PM
IH was quoted in the press saying it, oh and Celtic have also confirmed in the press about Stokes...oh wait i must have made that up, turn it in :bitchy:

Sorry I thought you were claiming it was inside it was inside info. Stick the links up then.

SalfordHibs
14-07-2010, 06:24 PM
No it's not, there's been lots of rumours about it on here but you should know better than most how unreliable transfer rumours can be, you shouldn't take everything you hear as gospel.

Not sure if it's been covered before as i can't be arsed reading the whole thread but IMO if we sign Gow again i'd like it to be on a 2 year deal and let him relax and settle with a club so he can start enjoying his football again, it can't be good for a player jumping from one loan deal to another, i think it's possible that he's been trying too hard and feeling too much pressure to perform.

I know he was pish with us but i think there is a player in there and IMO there's absolutely no chance Gow would be signed to replace Riordan or Stokes, he'd be Benji's replacement, if one of those two are sold i'm about 99% certain we'd bring someone else in.

Bingo i can assure you i dont get information from Football Transfer Rumours mate

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Bingo i can assure you i dont get inside information.

:faf:

SalfordHibs
14-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Sorry I thought you were claiming it was inside it was inside info. Stick the links up then.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sports-news/Pool-in-the-papers-.6340766.jp

http://sport.stv.tv/football/184051-celtic-linked-with-move-for-hibs-hotshot-anthony-stokes-report/

SalfordHibs
14-07-2010, 06:36 PM
:faf:

You know it makes sense :wink:

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2010, 06:38 PM

http://sport.stv.tv/football/184051-celtic-linked-with-move-for-hibs-hotshot-anthony-stokes-report/

Christ you and i know the same folk on the inside.

marinello59
14-07-2010, 06:38 PM

:rotflmao:

OK, now stick up where this stuff has been confirmed or do you really believe every bit of newspaper speculation.

SalfordHibs
14-07-2010, 06:40 PM
:rotflmao:

OK, now stick up where this stuff has been confirmed or do you really believe every bit of newspaper speculation.

Both clubs are wanting them, like i said before wether they leave is anyones guess.

Sergey
14-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Both clubs are wanting them, like i said before wether they leave is anyones guess.

Aye....and Bamba is on Liverpool's radar and Driver is a £5m target for Chelsea.

Whether they both leave is anyone's guess.

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Aye....and Bamba is on Liverpool's radar and Driver is a £5m target for Chelsea.

I think this one could run and run?:faf:

Sergey
14-07-2010, 06:46 PM
I think this one could run and run?:faf:

And as you know full-well, I'm the man for exclusive Blackpool transfer scoops.

The lad signed for Bristol City last week :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2010, 06:48 PM
And as you know full-well, I'm the man for exclusive Blackpool transfer scoops.

The lad signed for Bristol City last week :greengrin

Aye you were spot on with that one.:greengrin

Hibs90
14-07-2010, 07:09 PM

No quotes there? :cool2:

SalfordHibs
14-07-2010, 07:13 PM

Links :bye:

essexhibee
14-07-2010, 07:19 PM
I think Gow would be a good signing, as long as he is settled and fit could do a job. Where would he play? Left mid and push Derek up alongside stokesy? Still wanting Galbraith to have a shot.

MyJo
14-07-2010, 07:21 PM

woooooooooooosh!

Prof. Shaggy
14-07-2010, 07:25 PM

So that's;
1. The Blackpool Gazette says The Sun says Blackpool want Riordan; and
2. STV says The Daily Express says Celtic want Stokes.

I have no sources at all.
Consequently I will be waiting to see what happens in the real world.

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2010, 07:47 PM
So that's;
1. The Blackpool Gazette says The Sun says Blackpool want Riordan; and
2. STV says The Daily Express says Celtic want Stokes.

I have no sources at all.
Consequently I will be waiting to see what happens in the real world.

You do, you have the same sources as salford, all you have to do now is quote them and guess the outcome.:faf:

Prof. Shaggy
14-07-2010, 07:52 PM
You do, you have the same sources as salford, all you have to do now is quote them and guess the outcome.:faf:

That spoils the fun of waiting and seeing.

Mibbes Aye
14-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Much entertainment on here :greengrin

As to whether we should sign Gow? He's probably worth it. We didn't see anything like enough of him to make an informed decision but he would seem to have the technical ability to offer us something. Agree with a point made earlier that he could possibly benefit from settling down for a bit with a club, especially one with the cracking set-up we can offer players.

As for Hughes deciding he wants Gow in? Yogi's just led us to a top four finish in the top-flight. We've only managed that four other times in the last thirty years at least IIRC. He's not done too badly so far and he can pick whoever he wants - his job will depend upon it ultimately. :greengrin

stokesmessiah
14-07-2010, 08:19 PM

Oh well its been reported in The Sun....must be true :bye:

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Oh well its been reported in The Sun....must be true :bye:

Normally i'd agree with you, but its also been backed up on the football rumours site. :wink:

.Sean.
14-07-2010, 08:48 PM
If it's 'well known' as you say, why haven't any of our resident posters who actually are in the the know (and don't just pretend like some) given us an indication to this like they usually would.

FWIW I think you're talking pish.

.Sean.
14-07-2010, 08:52 PM
whooooooSH

Normally i'd agree with you, but its also been backed up on the football rumours site. :wink:
Concrete facts as always then :agree:

At The Edge
14-07-2010, 09:06 PM
It wouldn't surprise me at all that scouts were looking at Deeks and Stokes, just as i'm sure that Hibs have scouts checking out players for us, whether Blackpool, C Palace or anyone else takes it further remains to be seen. I'm sure if or when a bid comes in we'll hear about it.
I'll go and scout Messi if Hibs want me to! :wink:

As for Gow, me personally, i think he'll be back in a Hibs shirt soon and i think the Dutch tour will confirm to Yogi whos not in his plans and will be getting shipped out either on loan or period.

down-the-slope
14-07-2010, 09:08 PM
whooooooSH

Concrete facts as always then :agree:

We don't want concrete facts :grr::grr::grr:

That just spoils all the fun :wink:

CRAZYHIBBY
14-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Id give Gow a chance to see what he could do:agree:

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2010, 09:12 PM
I guess we might sign him, i'd also guess stokes and riordan will still be at easter road next season.

allezsauzee
14-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Gow didn't show much when he was here on loan but he was injured a lot. I'm guessing that Yogi knows him pretty well as a player though and I'm prepared to trust his judgement especially as its not like we'll have no attacking talent if it doesn't work out. A bit different for the yams who have pretty much put all their eggs in the 'hoof it up to Kyle and see what happens' basket

.Sean.
14-07-2010, 10:02 PM
I guess we might sign him, i'd also guess stokes and riordan will still be at easter road next season.
salfordHibs doesn't think so, so i'm no holding out much hope mate :boo hoo:

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2010, 10:07 PM
salfordHibs doesn't think so, so i'm no holding out much hope mate :boo hoo:

Yeah i guess so. :greengrin

Jack
15-07-2010, 08:43 AM

Of course Blackpool will look over Deek in the pre season game, if they don’t he’ll score a barrow load :greengrin

Velma Dinkley
15-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Another long-range screamer from Nish and Blackpool could be offering £5million+ for him.

Hibbyradge
15-07-2010, 09:17 AM

Where have Celtic confirmed their interest in Stokes?

khib70
15-07-2010, 09:37 AM
This is in today's Scotsman about Gow and the transfer budget:

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/John-Hughes-must-juggle-budget.6420709.jp

Eh? How many times have we been told "the new stand is bought and paid for" and promised that the manager wouldn't be "juggling the budget".

Now apparently, it's not bought and paid for:confused: And even a modest investment in the playing squad appears to require "juggling". So no change,then. I'm finding it quite hard to believe some of the statements coming out of the club these days.

TBH I'd give Gow a run, if the padlock can be prised off the biscuit tin. He didn't do a great deal when he was here, but he didn't really get the chance due to injuries. He always looked a decent player in the past.

.Sean.
15-07-2010, 10:04 AM

Eh? How many times have we been told "the new stand is bought and paid for" and promised that the manager wouldn't be "juggling the budget".

Now apparently, it's not bought and paid for:confused: And even a modest investment in the playing squad appears to require "juggling". So no change,then. I'm finding it quite hard to believe some of the statements coming out of the club these days.

TBH I'd give Gow a run, if the padlock can be prised off the biscuit tin. He didn't do a great deal when he was here, but he didn't really get the chance due to injuries. He always looked a decent player in the past.
If you refer back to the firt page you'll see I mentioned this but a few posters have came back and said the stand is paid for on a fixed price.

ancienthibby
15-07-2010, 10:12 AM

The club have never, ever said that the new stand is bought and paid for!!:grr:

What they have said from time to time is that they know where the necessary financing will come from. That's a completely different thing:greengrin

MSK
15-07-2010, 10:14 AM

TBH I'd give Gow a run, if the padlock can be prised off the biscuit tin. He didn't do a great deal when he was here, but he didn't really get the chance due to injuries. He always looked a decent player in the past.I would guess hibs are sending out a message to other clubs "we dont have cash to splash, we have a stand to pay for" therefore being able to snap up bargains as opposed to being priced out of the market, we all know that if clubs/agents have a sniff of you having cash then they inflate their prices ...we act like paupers, jangle the coppers & snap up a few bargains....:agree:

Hibbyradge
15-07-2010, 10:18 AM
If you refer back to the firt page you'll see I mentioned this but a few posters have came back and said the stand is paid for on a fixed price.

People have said that Hibs have a fixed price contract for the stand.

IIRC, you said that the costs were increasing.

Two different things.

As far as Yogi "juggling the budget" is concerned, I'd take that with a pinch of salt. Hibs always plead poverty so other clubs, agents and players don't hold us to ransom in signing negotiations.

MyJo
15-07-2010, 10:51 AM
The issue with getting gow is more to do with the number of players in the squad at the moment and the wage budget that has been agreed for the season beginning to get stretched. dont kid yourself that players like stokes, miller, de graaf, hart etc come cheap

jdships
15-07-2010, 11:02 AM
The club have never, ever said that the new stand is bought and paid for!!:grr:

What they have said from time to time is that they know where the necessary financing will come from. That's a completely different thing:greengrin

Spot on - that's as I understand things as well.:agree:
"Fixed Price" has nothing to do with if it is payed or not . That was simply a binding
" contract " price
There are evidently " add on's" for lighting improvements at both ends of the new stand.

Rory89
15-07-2010, 11:09 AM
We really need a left winger if Yogi decides not to play Galbraith, and we haven't actually seen Gow fit yet. If we can sign him soon I'd be up for it, but if it drags on a while and we sign him nearer the end of the window when we have to spend ages getting him fit it wouldn't be worth it. If we can get everyone fit and on form and Riordan and Stokes playing well up-front together as they did against Dunfermline we could put out a midfield and front pairing of:

Wotherspoon/Zemmama McBride Miller Gow

Stokes Riordan

Quite impressive imo.

Jack
15-07-2010, 12:06 PM
On reflection, and the cost of the stand aside, I think Yogi has always gone on about ‘juggling’ the side to get new faces in.

Having considered this further I suspect the anticipated lack of players moving out has made Yogi reconsider what he’s able to get up to.

For example. I think, and I think we all thought, at the end of the season that Big Sol would be away after having starred in the World Cup. That starring role would have seen him away from Hibs probably before the final kicked off and a sizable transfer fee would be safely tucked up in the safe alongside Rod Petrie’s tash trimmer.

That didn’t happen and its pretty quiet on the Sols off to [insert name of club] front. So Yogi doesn’t [yet] have that money to play with.

Phil MaGlass
15-07-2010, 12:08 PM
HOW ABOUT A POLL ON THIS ONE THEN, IT COULD RUN FOR AGES AND i DONT LIKE READING ALL THESE PAGES AND PAGES JUST TO KEEP UP OOPS.. i ALSO LIKE TO SHOUT:greengrin

marinello59
15-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Where have Celtic confirmed their interest in Stokes?

It's all a bit complicated but I think SalfordHibs posted Celtics interest up on here then read his own post to confirm the story. It seems practically a done deal to me.:agree:

matty_f
15-07-2010, 02:51 PM

He doesn't actually say that it's the cost of the stand that's prohibiting transfers, this is what he says:

It's open to interpretation, but when I first read it I took it to mean that there's been a lot of work trying to get players in (by people at the stadium), and it's now at the point where Yogi needs to sell to buy.

TRC
15-07-2010, 03:03 PM
To Be fair apart from huge clubs with a huge revenue, and even some of these are finding it hard to get players in without shifting other see Man Utd biggest club in the world and yet seemingly they can't afford to bring in players without getting rid of others, so this is no surprise. 4 have left Maka, Cregg, Benji and McCormack and 3 have come in De graaf, Stevens and Hart, better quality imho than the ones that have left thus used all those wages up. So it's hardly surprising

Hamish
15-07-2010, 07:21 PM
It's all a bit complicated but I think SalfordHibs posted Celtics interest up on here then read his own post to confirm the story. It seems practically a done deal to me.:agree:

:stirrer:

The Big No.9
15-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Its not so much the stand but the cost of the pitch being relaid and the undersoil heating.

Unexpected costs and the above dont come cheap.

sahib
15-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Its not so much the stand but the cost of the pitch being relaid and the undersoil heating.

Unexpected costs and the above dont come cheap.

What scallywag did all this with out anyone realising there would be a cost implicataion?
People are keeping Rod in the dark these days.

Aubenas
15-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Work with someone who knows Gow well; says he is a completely dedicated pro - no drink, plenty rest etc. Seems strange we accept Yogi's judgment on players we've never heard of, like Edwin, but think we know better than him when we've seen the players, albeit, like in Gow's case, in awkward circumstances. I think Gow has ability, I tihink Hughes knows how to get it out of him and I think he wants to come to Hibs. Sounds like a cheap deal for a good player who offers us options.

ekhibee
15-07-2010, 09:47 PM

I totally agree with this. If I had to pick betwen Gow and Killen, even though I'm not at all convinced by Gow, i'd still pick him ahead of Killen, for the following reasons:
1. Gow might improve from what we saw of him last season (quite frankly, he'd have to).
2. Killen is far too injury prone.
3. I don't trust Killen. He jumped ship too bloody quickly after rejecting a new deal by Hibs which he'd stalled on for ages, then did the dirty on Cardiff City, before signing for the Smellies, for whom he scored the square root of ***** all. There's nothing to suggest he wouldn't do something like that again.

Aubenas
15-07-2010, 10:16 PM
3. I don't trust Killen. He jumped ship too bloody quickly after rejecting a new deal by Hibs which he'd stalled on for ages, then did the dirty on Cardiff City, before signing for the Smellies, for whom he scored the square root of ***** all. There's nothing to suggest he wouldn't do something like that again.

He also left a very bad smell at Oldham when he signed for us IIRC, not to mention reports of off field shennanigans down Leith way

Hibs90
17-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Notice how he has left the thread all together. Wonder why :cool2: