PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal Disband Reserves

Woody1985
13-07-2010, 03:21 PM
It looks like Arsenal and a few others have disbanded their reserves. I wonder if this will become an ever increasing thing given that ours is gone as well.

http://younggunsblog.co.uk/2010/07/arsenal-disband-reserves-reshape-youth-development/

Sergey
13-07-2010, 03:33 PM
It looks like Arsenal and a few others have disbanded their reserves. I wonder if this will become an ever increasing thing given that ours is gone as well.

http://younggunsblog.co.uk/2010/07/arsenal-disband-reserves-reshape-youth-development/

This doesn't surprise me.

Arsenal play their reserve matches at Underhill on a Monday evening. During the cold snap last year, the ground was unplayable for about a month (it was maybe 2 months) due to snow and ice and Barnet subsequently had a backlog of home matches. Barnet also have a youth team that plays on the pitch and the pitch simply couldn't take that amount of football.

According to the league rules, Arsenal Reserves were obligated to complete their remaining fixtures. IIRC they played some at their training complex.

Picking matches to suit is a good idea, IMHO.

HibbyAndy
13-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Think we got Shiels from Arsenal reserves. :hmmm:

aberhibsfc
13-07-2010, 03:48 PM
I think it's crazy given Arsenals commitment to developing young talent.
They have a rake of decent young prospects, how are they going to develop them. Sending them out on loan helps but not all will be ready for that and this also removes the clubs influence on their development.

I hope this only applies to reserves and not the younger teams.

If there is a problem with pitches etc, maybe they should play the reserve teams etc through a milder climate eg summer season. This way the players can develop on better pitches and would have the attention of the top coaches at the club.

Wembley67
13-07-2010, 04:06 PM
See England in the WC and thats what happens if young home grown talent isn't nurtured.

Reserves games should be a must for teams where possible north and south of the border. For a team like Arsenal not to have a RT is ridiculous.

I've not actually read the article :cool2:

MyJo
13-07-2010, 04:27 PM
If they are scrapping reserve leagues they should introduce an under-21 league to encourage youth development within clubs so they can have young players on the fringes of the first team squads but still getting good game time at a reaonable level if they aren't in the first team.

Hibs have had to shed a fair amount of young players from the under-19's in the last few seasons that seem to have been quite highly rated because putting them in the first team at the time would mean too big a squad for us and be detrimental to them in terms of game time available as at that age they are still developing and learning the game.

The SPL should look to put a limit on squad sizes, maybe 23 max in the "first team" with the players in the under-21 team allowed to supplement the first team squad. Along with home grown "quotas" it could certainly go a long way to improving the future prospects of scottish football at national level as well.

Hibs On Tour
13-07-2010, 05:18 PM
From a more immediate perspective, what's happening with the players? Assume some will be kept on and some binned. Any of those binned worth looking at? Arsenal reserves/youths tend to be quite decent no?... :wink:

jdships
13-07-2010, 08:19 PM
From a more immediate perspective, what's happening with the players? Assume some will be kept on and some binned. Any of those binned worth looking at? Arsenal reserves/youths tend to be quite decent no?... :wink:

Just had a chat with a buddy who is involved with Arsenal and his take is they will loan young players out to Div2/Blue Square teams
He reckons this " could harden them up"
Can see problems for a number of average players who ply their trade in those leagues if this goes ahead :rolleyes:
I suppose the same would apply that SPL teams could benefit

Ed De Gramo
13-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Yogi and P-Rod on the case mibbae :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hibs On Tour
14-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Just had a chat with a buddy who is involved with Arsenal and his take is they will loan young players out to Div2/Blue Square teams
He reckons this " could harden them up"
Can see problems for a number of average players who ply their trade in those leagues if this goes ahead :rolleyes:
I suppose the same would apply that SPL teams could benefit

That was the bit I was meaning. Only 1 SPL team I'm giving a monkeys about.

Yes, I can see the bigger picture too and the problems arising in general. BUT, nae one gave a monkeys about US when we were in danger of going under and we had to fight our own way out of it [cheers again STF] - if fans care enough then a club will always survive in some form, if someone with deep enough pockets cares clubs will survive as is.