PDA

View Full Version : Accepting the reality--England and the World Cup

Seanair
12-07-2010, 01:40 PM
I've been pleasantly surprise at how well the English media and supporters (apart from a few headbangers) have accepted that England were inferior to several other teams who had better scorers, passers, defenders and goalkeepers and who therefore had a better claim to proceed to the last stages than the chosen race.
They've reached a conclusion which we reached in 1978, but are in a better position to do something about it and learn from these lesser races (as they would see them). Reforming the English Premiership for a start.
Meanwhile, I know the jokes are a bit thin now, but spotted one on the website:- subrosa-blonde.blogspot.com/ Under "The FA's new sponsors".
Apologies if this has appeared on one of the many threads on hibs.net

Mibbes Aye
12-07-2010, 05:16 PM
I've been pleasantly surprise at how well the English media and supporters (apart from a few headbangers) have accepted that England were inferior to several other teams who had better scorers, passers, defenders and goalkeepers and who therefore had a better claim to proceed to the last stages than the chosen race.
They've reached a conclusion which we reached in 1978, but are in a better position to do something about it and learn from these lesser races (as they would see them). Reforming the English Premiership for a start.
Meanwhile, I know the jokes are a bit thin now, but spotted one on the website:- subrosa-blonde.blogspot.com/ Under "The FA's new sponsors".

I'm not sure why, but for some reason this tourney seemed to reflect the lack of technical ability in the England squad much more than previous campaigns have.

I remember seeing one article that argued only Cole and perhaps Gerrard had anything resembling the kind of technique that would see them come even close to contesting a place in the Spanish side for example. Inclined to agree with that. Certainly in previous showings England have had perhaps a greater number of players who could genuinely compete (and lose :greengrin), playing against pedigree sides.

Maybe the penny's dropped :dunno:

Sprouleflyer
12-07-2010, 06:56 PM

4 weeks ago they were world beaters, their players all played in the best domestic league in the world and they only had to turn up to win the world cup. Remember the media already had them playing Argentina or Germany in the semi's before a ball was kicked.

Fast forward 2 weeks and a few days and it's everybodys fault, youth developement, FA, the number of foreign players in the EPL.

They might be eating humble pie at the moment, but that will pass shortly and their own self superior worth will shine through again quicker than you can say "do it for Sir Bobby" !!!!

Dashing Bob S
12-07-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm not sure why, but for some reason this tourney seemed to reflect the lack of technical ability in the England squad much more than previous campaigns have.

I remember seeing one article that argued only Cole and perhaps Gerrard had anything resembling the kind of technique that would see them come even close to contesting a place in the Spanish side for example. Inclined to agree with that. Certainly in previous showings England have had perhaps a greater number of players who could genuinely compete (and lose :greengrin), playing against pedigree sides.

Maybe the penny's dropped :dunno:
The problem is that Gerrard and Cole wouldn't get a sniff of a jersey in the Spanish midfield nowadays.

Phil D. Rolls
12-07-2010, 08:20 PM

Very good point. I feel that Ghana was their version of our game against Iran in 1978. They still have their Costa Rico moment to come. That's the time that you don't just get beaten by minnows any more, it's the plankton you worry about (Stewart Cosgrove).