PDA

View Full Version : Left Back ?

churchie16
12-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Who do you think yogi will play at left back murray or hanlon ?. if murrays legs have gone then will it be hanlon or perhaps stevenson ? :confused:

bighairyfaeleith
12-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Who do you think yogi will play at left back murray or hanlon ?. if murrays legs have gone then will it be hanlon or perhaps stevenson ? :confused:

Didn't know we had signed Sir David Murray:greengrin

Ed De Gramo
12-07-2010, 01:39 PM

where'd they go :greengrin

H18sry
12-07-2010, 01:40 PM

Or mibees a newbie :wink:

M11BMO
12-07-2010, 01:47 PM

:faf: :top marks

vahibbie
12-07-2010, 02:39 PM

A joke which will not be seen as funny by all.

But made me laugh:greengrin

Dunkin' Donut
12-07-2010, 07:42 PM
I'd expect murray to be first choice in european matches and for the large part of league games.

blackpoolhibs
12-07-2010, 07:53 PM
I'd expect murray to be first choice in european matches and for the large part of league games.

I hope i'm wrong, but i dont fancy murray at left back this season. The pace has gone, and he will be exposed much as he was for most of the 2nd half of the season.

BSEJVT
12-07-2010, 07:54 PM
I hope i'm wrong, but i dont fancy murray at left back this season. The pace has gone, and he will be exposed much as he was for most of the 2nd half of the season.

Would be a concern for me to BH

I would play him at CH instead of Hogg

blackpoolhibs
12-07-2010, 08:02 PM

I'm just not sure about Murray anymore, but agree he'd be better than Hogg.

the happy hibee
12-07-2010, 08:20 PM
A joke which will not be seen as funny by all.

But made me laugh:greengrin
Yeah the hun loving hibs fans will not like that joke atall :greengrin! a certain mr corrie greens perhaps :devil:

truehibernian
12-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Have to say that at the weekend, second half especially, Ian did get caught out a few times and looked a little slow off the mark. In his defence, it is the first real game of pre-season, he is a new dad (and trust me, that takes some energy out of you), and he was up against a pacey winger (Phinn I think). I was really really disappointed in Chris Hogg on Saturday who I thought again looked like a rabbit caught in headlights when he had the ball. Every ball he played was either back to the keeper or pointless. Second half though I thought Hibs played some lovely stuff and the possession football especially amongst the kids (Galbraith, Currie, Welsh, Horner) was enough to convince that we have a bright future ahead. Would love to see Galbraith and Currie get some real game time this season, and if Welsh stays injury free, he looks a real player. A little mention for Stevenson too as he did get a fair bit of criticism last season but he looked assured, fit, and confident at left back.

Hibstrooper
13-07-2010, 07:56 AM
I think Hanlon's days at Left Back are over - Yogi seems to prefer him in his natural position of Centre Half and I think that is the right thing to do as the guy has the potential to be top notch in that position.

Pretty sure Murray will be first choice Left Back for the majority of the season with Stevenson supporting. If young Booth is as good as folk say then we may see him start to push in the new year and jump ahead of Stevenson.

offshorehibby
13-07-2010, 08:23 AM
I think Hanlon's days at Left Back are over - Yogi seems to prefer him in his natural position of Centre Half and I think that is the right thing to do as the guy has the potential to be top notch in that position.

Pretty sure Murray will be first choice Left Back for the majority of the season with Stevenson supporting. If young Booth is as good as folk say then we may see him start to push in the new year and jump ahead of Stevenson.

Did Hanlon get any time on the park on Saturday and if so how'd he play.

Stevie Reid
13-07-2010, 08:36 AM

I share your concerns about Murray. Last season I thought things could not get any better when he resigned in January, but he did not have a great end to the season at LB, and was given a torrid time by some. His ability to fill in other positions means that he remains an absolutely vital member of the squad, but I would rather another LB came in as first choice.

Hanlon proves that not all left sided defenders can plat LB - he's gonna be a star at CH anyway, let's not stifle his development by playing him out of position.

Der Panzer
13-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Murray was one of many who had a shaky 2nd half of the season but he was immense until the turn of the year. His determination, experience and strength in the tackle will be invaluable to us this season, particularly if the likes of Welsh, Currie, Galbraith etc. begin to get more game time. He's not as quick as he was but his will to win and reading of the game will ensure that he is still on the best left backs in the league.

Personally, I'd keep him at left back. He has been magnificent for us there and I think it's his best position. It's hard to predict who will play in the middle this year (will Bamba stay/will Yogi run out of patience with Hogg/how ready is Stephens/ can Thicot finally fulfil his potential) but I'd like to see Hanlon play a more prominent role at centre half as he's such a terrific prospect. I think playing Murray at CH could hold Hanlon back as Hogg and Bamba (if he stays) are likely to be certain starters.

Baldy
13-07-2010, 09:17 AM

Murray is woeful at CH, he has only had a handful of decent games in that position .. get him in the midfield where he is strongest

Stevie Reid
13-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Murray is woeful at CH

Do not agree with that at all :bitchy:

I remember him having one really poor performance at CH, against Morton in the CIS, but he's had many excellent displays in that position - including a man of the match performance in our win at Tynecastle the season before last.

His positional sense, aerial ability and reading of the game make him excellent in that position. I would rather have him at CB than LB but then Hanlon would seem to be the future at LCB.

500miles
13-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Murray is woeful at CH, he has only had a handful of decent games in that position .. get him in the midfield where he is strongest

I wouldn't say woeful, but he's certainly not the man you want there long term. Murray and Caldwell were a calamatous pairing at times. The much maligned Hogg however has been part of some of our most successful defencive partnerships....who'd have thought eh?

Musselbound
13-07-2010, 10:52 AM
I think it will be Murray that Yogi will principally have in mind. One reason being it will give us a fair bit of height along the back four. Hanlon simply didn't look comfortable at left back in the games I've seen him play there. Stevenson is still floating around but doesn't look likely to hold down a regular place at any position in the team. This is a position we might need to strengthen in the near future unless Calum Booth can come in shortly and make the position his own.

Speedway
13-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Where's that thread about Murray's honeymoon when you need it?

Hibstrooper
13-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Did Hanlon get any time on the park on Saturday and if so how'd he play.

Hanlon played the majority of the game and played at CH whilst Murray and then Stevenson were LB.

Played ok, seen him play better however was solid enough

BSEJVT
13-07-2010, 11:52 AM

Opinions eh.

5 years ago I might have agreed with you.

I dont think that Murray now has sufficient pace or stamina to play in midfield

basehibby
13-07-2010, 12:10 PM
A lot of folk are havering about Murray's legs having gone IMO - he's only 30 FFS. The way some of you are going on you'd think he was drawing his pension :bitchy:

LB is therefore NOT a position particularly in need of strengthening IMO - that said, if Murphy wanted to come back on loan for example you wouldn't find me complaining.

CapitalHibs
13-07-2010, 12:44 PM
A lot of folk are havering about Murray's legs having gone IMO - he's only 30 FFS. The way some of you are going on you'd think he was drawing his pension :bitchy:

LB is therefore NOT a position particularly in need of strengthening IMO - that said, if Murphy wanted to come back on loan for example you wouldn't find me complaining.

Doesn't Ian have some long term problem with arthritis?

sesoim
13-07-2010, 03:50 PM

Or in midfield - his best position. He scored a few goals from there in 2003/04 before he was pushed back to CB. I'd let go of Rankin and Stevenson to free up some wages to put towards a new LB.

TonyStokeprano
20-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Calum Booth

Not seen it mentioned anywhere else but young calum scored two goals at the weekend, both from about 25 yards i'm led to believe. Hopefully he can develop into a quality left back.

J-C
20-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Would love to see Murray being used as the defensive holding midfielder, great position if his legs have gone and he has the footballing brain to play there. If all the rumours are true then the left back position has already being taken ( Murphy)

cockneymike
20-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Would love to see Murray being used as the defensive holding midfielder, great position if his legs have gone and he has the footballing brain to play there. If all the rumours are true then the left back position has already being taken ( Murphy)

But unfortunately there is no evidence whatsoever that those rumours about Murphy are true....

Green Mikey
20-07-2010, 11:28 AM

Got to disagree with you on this one. I don't think it is a good idea to put a player that's legs have gone in the middle of the park unless the player was of the highest quality before. Also, it's been a long time since Murray played in midfield and no manager over the last few years has shown much desire to play him there.

Personally, I like Murray at left back. He's solid and great tackler and brings experince to the back four.

blairwallace
20-07-2010, 11:42 AM
well if we do sign paul hartley he can be left back in the changing rooms? :wink:

ahibby
20-07-2010, 11:42 AM
David Murray was one of our better left backs and he didn't have a great deal of pace, so I'd stick with Ian for as long as we can. An experienced player should have greater positioning awareness making pace less of a requirement but never the less useful. IMO Ian has never been cut out for CH and I cringe when he plays there, just my opinion.

mickki40
20-07-2010, 11:49 AM
I remember Hanlon getting into the side at left back, he played 2 games and looked pretty good to be fair. Then we replaced him with Zarabi (WTF). I think his confidence took a bit of a knock and he never played again that season. I believe his best position is CB. Murray is not as sharp as he was, but will still be an important player for Hibs in the coming season.

GlesgaeHibby
20-07-2010, 11:50 AM
David Murray was one of our better left backs and he didn't have a great deal of pace, so I'd stick with Ian for as long as we can. An experienced player should have greater positioning awareness making pace less of a requirement but never the less useful. IMO Ian has never been cut out for CH and I cringe when he plays there, just my opinion.

David Murray? To think people on here have been saying Ian Murray's is past it and hasn't the legs anymore :wink:

seanraff07
20-07-2010, 11:51 AM
I'd rather see Murray playing DM than CB.

We have plenty of CB's as it is.. Hogg, Bamba, Stephens, Hanlon, Thicot.

Everyones saying we need to add height and strength to the midfield and Murray would do just that, and he done very well playing there in Mowbray's first season.

Although i'd rather see him at DM than CB, i don't want to see him move position, i'm quite happy with him at LB, don't think Stevenson will ever hold down a regular place, much prefer Hanlon at CB and you can't just throw Booth into the mix of things straight away you need to gradually bring him in. If both him and Murray are still at us next season, you could then think about switching Murray to CB or DM and gradually start giving Booth more game time at LB.