PDA

View Full Version : 2010 WC - Netherlands v Spain KO 19.30

sh00byd00
11-07-2010, 02:44 PM
'Mon Paul the Octopus being wrong and the Dutch lifting the trophy for the first time.

I realise I'm in the minority here, but whilst Spain are highly effective and have superb players, I happen to think they're not the most exciting team to watch as they spend the majority of the game passing from side to side and back and forth between midfield and defence.

Teams;

Netherlands - Stekelenburg - Van der Wiel, Heitinga, Mathijsen & Van Bronckhorst - Van Bommel, De Jong - Robben, Sneijder, Kuyt - Van Persie

Spain - still to be confirmed. But from what I've read they're going with the same team that started against Germany. That means no place in the starting line-up for Torres.

Phil D. Rolls
11-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Aw jeez, I'm getting nervous now. May have to tell the missus I have to get to the pub early so as I can get a seat.

C'mon the Cloggies!!!!

HibbyAndy
11-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Mon the Dutch :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

PeeJay
11-07-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm with you on this one - the Spanish tactic of not letting the other team get the ball coupled with the odd piece of brilliance and an incisive pass is past its sell-by date as far as I'm concerned. :agree:
Dutch arrogance lost them the 74 final, while the Argentine Junta robbed them in 78 - third time lucky! C'mon Oranje! :greengrin

bingo70
11-07-2010, 02:53 PM
'Mon Paul the Octopus being wrong and the Dutch lifting the trophy for the first time.

I realise I'm in the minority here, but whilst Spain are highly effective and have superb players, I happen to think they're not the most exciting team to watch as they spend the majority of the game passing from side to side and back and forth between midfield and defence.

Teams;

Netherlands - Stekelenburg - Van der Wiel, Heitinga, Mathijsen & Van Bronckhorst - Van Bommel, De Jong - Robben, Sneijder, Kuyt - Van Persie

Spain - still to be confirmed. But from what I've read they're going with the same team that started against Germany. That means no place in the starting line-up for Torres.

For me thats one of the things thats great about the Spanish, they pass the ball until the time is right and then they pounce with a few really short sharp passes, what makes it exciting is never knowing when it's going to come, you know it is you just don't know when.

I'm just happy there's going to be a new winner of the trophy, love the way Spain play but i love everything that Dutch football is all about and i normally support the underdog, either way i'm sure i'll find myself supporting someone when the game kicks off, i'm just not sure who yet

Phil D. Rolls
11-07-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm with you on this one - the Spanish tactic of not letting the other team get the ball coupled with the odd piece of brilliance and an incisive pass is past its sell-by date as far as I'm concerned. :agree:
Dutch arrogance lost them the 74 final, while the Argentine Junta robbed them in 78 - third time lucky! C'mon Oranje! :greengrin

The arrogance is one of the things bothering me. It's surfaced a couple of times, most notably against Brazil when they could have killed the game with a third goal, but opted to take the pee by mucking about in the box.

The74 final was about revenge for WW2, which had only finished 30 years before. Hopefully they're over that wee bit of business with Spain in the 16th century. :pray:

Saorsa
11-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Mon the Dutch :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
http://www.livefootball4u.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Octopus-Paul.jpg

and Desperate Dan predict

http://alert.soft-systems.net/img/smile/1498.gif

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

pacorosssco
11-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Im off to the beach(bloemendahl ann zee ) to watch the game on a big screen.
There will be about 20 thousand at the beach.

Amsterdam has been jumoing since last Friday

I hope im about to see something special

Hup Holland

PeeJay
11-07-2010, 03:06 PM
The arrogance is one of the things bothering me. It's surfaced a couple of times, most notably against Brazil when they could have killed the game with a third goal, but opted to take the pee by mucking about in the box.

The74 final was about revenge for WW2, which had only finished 30 years before. Hopefully they're over that wee bit of business with Spain in the 16th century. :pray:

Used to be more pronounced when they played the "beautiful game" - now they're more pragmatic in their style, maybe the arrogance won't creep in this evening.

Ed De Gramo
11-07-2010, 03:14 PM
'Mon the Dutch...

Spain are boring and hopefully Paul The Octopus will be wrong and Manny the Parakeet will be right :thumbsup:

PeeJay
11-07-2010, 03:20 PM
'Mon the Dutch...

Spain are boring and hopefully Paul The Octopus will be wrong and Manny the Parakeet will be right :thumbsup:

Paul the turncoat has a rival?:confused:

Ed De Gramo
11-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Paul the turncoat has a rival?:confused:

Manny's Time (http://www.examiner.com/x-57613-SF-Celebrity-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m7d9-Paul-the-Octopus-vs-Manny-the-Parakeet--Spain-or-Netherlands-Who-will-it-be)

:thumbsup:

PeeJay
11-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Manny's Time (http://www.examiner.com/x-57613-SF-Celebrity-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m7d9-Paul-the-Octopus-vs-Manny-the-Parakeet--Spain-or-Netherlands-Who-will-it-be)

Green Parakeet - smart bird apparently ... :greengrin

At The Edge
11-07-2010, 04:29 PM
The Dutch for me, mainly based on i really like Holland as a country, spent many many hours window shopping in Amsterdam without actually buying anything! :wink:

seanraff07
11-07-2010, 04:43 PM
I think the problem with Spain is they try to walk the ball in the net too often, the game against Germany inparticular. They had the majority of possession in the first half and the ball was rarely out of Germanys half yet Germany still had the better chances cause Spain wouldn't go for goal enough. Fair enough trying to score the perfect goal but i believe they should be thinking about that a little later on in a game if they are winning 2 or 3-0.

Anyway, prediction wise.. i think Spain will win it after ET.

Although i hope Holland win just cause their the underdogs and i've been a bit disappointed with Spain this tournament based on entertainment.

bingo70
11-07-2010, 04:51 PM
I think the problem with Spain is they try to walk the ball in the net too often, the game against Germany inparticular. They had the majority of possession in the first half and the ball was rarely out of Germanys half yet Germany still had the better chances cause Spain wouldn't go for goal enough. Fair enough trying to score the perfect goal but i believe they should be thinking about that a little later on in a game if they are winning 2 or 3-0.

Anyway, prediction wise.. i think Spain will win it after ET.

Although i hope Holland win just cause their the underdogs and i've been a bit disappointed with Spain this tournament based on entertainment.

No offence to yourself but i laugh when i hear statements like that, it was the same after the first game when they got beat by Switzerland, people were queing up to say what was wrong with the Spain team.

This is the european champions, on the verge of becoming world champions and have lost something like 2 games in 38, i don't think they do a hell of a lot wrong, i know what you mean about trying to score the perfect goal, however when they're doing that it's not just them trying to score it's about retaining the ball, if they weren't trying to score the 'perfect goal' they'd be giving the ball away and giving the opposition a much better chance of scoring.

IMO if Spain win tonight they should go down as one of the greatest National teams ever and up there with any of the best Brazilian sides.

LALthehibeeGAL
11-07-2010, 04:54 PM
I tipped Holland from the start and never bet on them - I'm torn now cos if they win I could have had a few extra coppers in my purse - so half of me wants them to lose so I can feel better at not throwing my money away!!!:confused:

good thing is it is a new team who will win both previously known as under achievers - good luck hope it's a good game - I believe holland might just do it - but I also thought the Germans would be more clinical against the Spanish so what do I know -I'm just as silly girl!!!

lal:wink:

ekhibee
11-07-2010, 05:17 PM

One of the most obvious examples of their arrogance was when Denmark beat them and then Germany when they won the European Championship a few years back. 2 of their players (one of them was Van Breukelen the goalie) were going on about how they were looking forward to getting revenge on Germany, and this was before they'd even played Denmark. After Denmark beat them Van Breukelen said that they(Denmark) won't beat Germany, and the rest's history. This team are different, but I like the way Spain play, and IMO Robben is a diving ******* anyway so Spain for me.

jdships
11-07-2010, 05:25 PM
]For me thats one of the things thats great about the Spanish, they pass the ball until the time is right and then they pounce with a few really short sharp passes, what makes it exciting is never knowing when it's going to come, you know it is you just don't know when. [/U]

I'm just happy there's going to be a new winner of the trophy, love the way Spain play but i love everything that Dutch football is all about and i normally support the underdog, either way i'm sure i'll find myself supporting someone when the game kicks off, i'm just not sure who yet

That's it for me !
To be able to use this system takes great concentration , individual skills and ability .
Villa can seem almost anonymous for long enough and then one pass does the business.
The Dutch have been somewhat lucky with referees decisions where there have been "heavy" tackles handed out.
Also as someone said earlier there is always the arrogance factor wit hthe Dutch

If it wasn't I placed a "modest wager" on the Spanish before the tournament began I would be sitting back to enjoy the game tonight without bothering who would win
:wink::greengrin

YehButNoBut
11-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Definately Spain for me, better team, better players and I love Barcelona & Madrid as cities.

2-1 Spain Villa & Pedro to score. :thumbsup:

Y Viva Espana

seanraff07
11-07-2010, 06:06 PM
No offence to yourself but i laugh when i hear statements like that, it was the same after the first game when they got beat by Switzerland, people were queing up to say what was wrong with the Spain team.

This is the european champions, on the verge of becoming world champions and have lost something like 2 games in 38, i don't think they do a hell of a lot wrong, i know what you mean about trying to score the perfect goal, however when they're doing that it's not just them trying to score it's about retaining the ball, if they weren't trying to score the 'perfect goal' they'd be giving the ball away and giving the opposition a much better chance of scoring.

IMO if Spain win tonight they should go down as one of the greatest National teams ever and up there with any of the best Brazilian sides.

I know but in a WC semi-final if you get any sort of chance of taking on a shot i think you should. Spain were lucky that Germany weren't as lethal on the break as they had been during the tournament or else i think Germany could have scored a few. I don't think they were as good on the break cause Muller was suspended.

They play similarly to Barca but they don't start playing the ball from side-to-side constantly till they are a few up. I just think what would help Spain is if they have more of an eye for goal.

sh00byd00
11-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Woohoo - kick off 20 mins away. We all moan about international fitba when it comes to the club v country malarkey, but it's nights like this that make you realise no club competition comes close to this. Unless your club is winning the CL et al of course :wink:

bingo70
11-07-2010, 06:15 PM
I know but in a WC semi-final if you get any sort of chance of taking on a shot i think you should. Spain were lucky that Germany weren't as lethal on the break as they had been during the tournament or else i think Germany could have scored a few. I don't think they were as good on the break cause Muller was suspended.

They play similarly to Barca but they don't start playing the ball from side-to-side constantly till they are a few up. I just think what would help Spain is if they have more of an eye for goal.

There was nothing lucky about that, they deprived the Germans of the ball and when the Germans got it Spain were too good defensively.

I don't think that spain do pass the ball from side to side constantly, they keep the ball and probe until the time is right to move it forward, not sure if your wathing it but the BBC just analysed them and thought it was a really good analysis, showed just how Xavi and Iniesta work, one gets the ball and the other moves into the space ahead.

Think the comparison with Barca is valid, however they just told you that spain have actually won something like 54 in 57 so who's to say that the Barca way is right and Spains is wrong, for the players they've got i think they both play it pretty much spot on.

seanraff07
11-07-2010, 06:20 PM
There was nothing lucky about that, they deprived the Germans of the ball and when the Germans got it Spain were too good defensively.

I don't think that spain do pass the ball from side to side constantly, they keep the ball and probe until the time is right to move it forward, not sure if your wathing it but the BBC just analysed them and thought it was a really good analysis, showed just how Xavi and Iniesta work, one gets the ball and the other moves into the space ahead.

Think the comparison with Barca is valid, however they just told you that spain have actually won something like 54 in 57 so who's to say that the Barca way is right and Spains is wrong, for the players they've got i think they both play it pretty much spot on.

I agree with most of your post. But i think when you've got guys like Torres, Villa, Pedro, Iniesta and Silva in your team these players should just be going for goal whenever they can and they would probably demolish some teams which they have failed to do. I am totally behind playing nice, neat stuff but with the clinical finishers they have in their team they should really be looking to take more of a gamble when going forward instead of waiting ages for the perfect chance to slip a ball through.

houston1875
11-07-2010, 06:24 PM
David villa anytime evens...lump on!! Great bet!!

Betty Boop
11-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Mon Spain and sexy football ! :greengrin

YehButNoBut
11-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Spain well on top :thumbsup:

down-the-slope
11-07-2010, 07:11 PM
not really got going...period of niggly fouls....and De Jongs Karate kick....

I found myself pondering about Scotland having been in Netherlands group......25 games without losing compeditively....hope we get a poorer seed in our next Qualifiers

bingo70
11-07-2010, 07:13 PM
This Howard Webb suck off is really getting on my tits :grr:

He's only the ref FFS

YehButNoBut
11-07-2010, 07:19 PM
This Howard Webb suck off is really getting on my tits :grr:

He's only the ref FFS

He could have sent 1 or 2 Dutch players off as well, they've been pretty dirty.

CropleyWasGod
11-07-2010, 07:20 PM
not really got going...period of niggly fouls....and De Jongs Karate kick....

I found myself pondering about Scotland having been in Netherlands group......25 games without losing compeditively....hope we get a poorer seed in our next Qualifiers

We have Spain :greengrin

Aldo
11-07-2010, 07:25 PM
The dutch are dirty twats. They should of had Van Bommel and De Jong sent off for straight reds and Schnieder (spl) as well.

Spoilt the game IMHO.

Saorsa
11-07-2010, 07:26 PM
The dutch are dirty twats. They should of had Van Bommel and De Jong sent off for straight reds and Schnieder (spl) as well.

Spoilt the game IMHO.dirty gits :agree:

down-the-slope
11-07-2010, 07:27 PM
We have Spain :greengrin
aw FFS :doh:

Iggy Pope
11-07-2010, 07:28 PM
dirty gits :agree:

Durty Oranje Barstewards even

Sir David Gray
11-07-2010, 07:32 PM
That's the 25th game of this tournament (out of 64 matches) where the first half has been goalless.

That's almost 40% of the matches at this year's World Cup that have had no goals in the first 45 minutes.

PS-How have Holland managed to keep 11 men on the pitch? :confused: As a Police officer, Howard Webb should be thinking of arresting de Jong after his challenge on Alonso, never mind showing him a red card.

Riordans Boots
11-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Mon the Cloggies :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jdships
11-07-2010, 07:37 PM
He could have sent 1 or 2 Dutch players off as well, they've been pretty dirty.

Extremely lucky to still have 11 men on the park - Dutch have been quite cynical with their fouls throughout the tournament .
Not much leeway to carry on the same way in 2nd half will Webb "bottle it" again
Pretty poor game overall IMO

:rolleyes:

hibsbollah
11-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Is it me or is Webb having an absolute nightmare:confused:
If he was Peruvian or some other nationality the BBC pundits would be slaughtering him.

CropleyWasGod
11-07-2010, 07:43 PM
If he was Peruvian or some other nationality the BBC pundits would be slaughtering him.

I'm agreeing.

That was a penalty for me.

Re the bookings, I think he has been told "no red cards unless absolutely necessary".

bingo70
11-07-2010, 07:45 PM

I think in fairness he's trying not to send people off so he's giving them the benefit of the doubt and i think in the final thats probably the best way to do it, don't want people sent off unless it's an absolute stone waller and i'm not sure any of them have been.

Your right though, if the ref was from anywhere other than england they'd be ripping him to bits for losing control

YehButNoBut
11-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Jesus will win it for Spain :greengrin

SaulGoodman
11-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Good save from Casillas to deny Robben :agree:

blairwallace
11-07-2010, 07:53 PM
"fernando torres has had the longest warm up, from about the start of the second half"

try danny galbraith :wink:

Sir David Gray
11-07-2010, 07:54 PM
I think in fairness he's trying not to send people off so he's giving them the benefit of the doubt and i think in the final thats probably the best way to do it, don't want people sent off unless it's an absolute stone waller and i'm not sure any of them have been.

Your right though, if the ref was from anywhere other than england they'd be ripping him to bits for losing control

Nigel de Jong's challenge on Xabi Alonso was one of the most blatant red card offences I think I have ever seen.

I'm all for a referee being a bit more lenient in a cup final but, to me at least, that was an obvious red card.

down-the-slope
11-07-2010, 08:13 PM
What about a new rule....Extra time only for players not carded....:greengrin

thebakerboy
11-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Anybody who still wants the Dutch cloggers to win is anti football , come on you senors stick it right up them:greengrin

SaulGoodman
11-07-2010, 08:29 PM
This Octopus better be correct

seanraff07
11-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Fabregas!:grr:

seanraff07
11-07-2010, 08:32 PM
I put £5 on a draw, just to confirm.. if you put a draw do you get your winnings if it is a draw after 90 minutes played, like now?

SaulGoodman
11-07-2010, 08:33 PM
I put £5 on a draw, just to confirm.. if you put a draw do you get your winnings if it is a draw after 90 minutes played, like now?

I think so, Don't think they'ed let you put a draw as the final result for a World Cup final :devil:

YehButNoBut
11-07-2010, 08:34 PM

yes :thumbsup:

greenlex
11-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Aye

seanraff07
11-07-2010, 08:36 PM
I think so, Don't think they'ed let you put a draw as the final result for a World Cup final :devil:

yes :thumbsup:

Aye

Cheers.:aok:

down-the-slope
11-07-2010, 08:38 PM
This Octopus better be correct

Hes been getting threats of ending up as the main ingredient in 'Fruits de Mer'

down-the-slope
11-07-2010, 08:42 PM
I still want Dutch to win :cool2:

SaulGoodman
11-07-2010, 08:47 PM
This has been del' Bosque's plan throughout the world cup. Make Torres seen un-fit then bring him on Second period off added time and Bang, Hat-Trick for Torres :wink:

hibeemikey21
11-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Braafheid could potentially be a world cup winner within half an hour. Unreal.

:shocked:

SaulGoodman
11-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Heitinga has been sent off for Holland

SteveHFC
11-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Heitinga Sent Off

down-the-slope
11-07-2010, 08:50 PM
one of the softest bookings of the lot...hardly any contact and player went down like a sack

lapsedhibee
11-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Heitinga has been sent off for Holland

10 against 10 now, since Torres is on for Espain.

Silky
11-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Extremely lucky to still have 11 men on the park - Dutch have been quite cynical with their fouls throughout the tournament .
Not much leeway to carry on the same way in 2nd half will Webb "bottle it" again
Pretty poor game overall IMO

:rolleyes:

:agree: They're a shower of dirty gits. Totally spoiled what should have been a great occasion. Dutch total football seems to be a very distant memory!!

SaulGoodman
11-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Robben's like a Stroppy teenager this game. Lucky not to be sent off after kicking the ball away

Edit: 1-0 Spain Come on the Octopus!!

Im in the Money...Im in the Money

:partyhibb:partyhibb:partyhibb

Saorsa
11-07-2010, 08:55 PM
http://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/s/spain-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gif

seanraff07
11-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Yaaaaaas!!! Finally.:thumbsup:

SteveHFC
11-07-2010, 08:56 PM
He was offside :grr:

YehButNoBut
11-07-2010, 08:57 PM

No he was not, well done Spain :thumbsup:

CropleyWasGod
11-07-2010, 08:58 PM

5 yards on, mate.

SaulGoodman
11-07-2010, 08:58 PM
He was never Offside :wink:

:greengrin:greengrin

Betty Boop
11-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Viva Espagne !

SaulGoodman
11-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Torre's' Hamstring has gone by the looks of thing's

seanraff07
11-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Spain have won the World Cup!!:thumbsup:

.. Feel pretty sorry for Torres.

Saorsa
11-07-2010, 09:02 PM
http://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/s/spain-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gifhttp://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/s/spain-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gifhttp://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/s/spain-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gifhttp://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/s/spain-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gifhttp://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/s/spain-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gifhttp://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/s/spain-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gifhttp://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/s/spain-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gifhttp://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/s/spain-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gif

lapsedhibee
11-07-2010, 09:04 PM

Shame for Torres, great player - but really strange decision to bring him on considering how he's played all month.

down-the-slope
11-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Bloody Octopus.......:grr::grr:

Can we not get it to give winner of next Derby to see if its worth buying tickets :wink:

Saorsa
11-07-2010, 09:06 PM
http://www.livefootball4u.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Octopus-Paul.jpg

and Desperate Dan predict

http://alert.soft-systems.net/img/smile/1498.gif

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:agree:

snooky
11-07-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm so glad for Robben :greengrin
Cheatin' moanin' face disaster.

Musselbound
11-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Nigel de Jong's challenge on Xabi Alonso was one of the most blatant red card offences I think I have ever seen.

I'm all for a referee being a bit more lenient in a cup final but, to me at least, that was an obvious red card.

Totally agree.

one of the softest bookings of the lot...hardly any contact and player went down like a sack

Agree again.

Why? Lucky to get a game at all when he's been playing when clearly not fit. What about Llorente who played a blinder when he came on one game then never got a look in again? I feel more sorry for him.

down-the-slope
11-07-2010, 09:13 PM
the sponsorship knows no end...even the medal girls are airline hostesses :yawn:

SaulGoodman
11-07-2010, 09:21 PM
the sponsorship knows no end...even the medal girls are airline hostesses :yawn:

I thought they're was something fake about their smiles :greengrin

down-the-slope
11-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Harry Potter better have taken his wand to the SFA with him or were Donad Ducked :panic:

McD
11-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Pretty dire game overall, lots of niggly fouls, the dutch over-heavy tackling made it very stop-start, although the spanish werent backwards at putting the foot in either.

Really hated seeing both teams (mostly spanish) surrounding the ref at every free kick demanding cards, seemed to be all busquets did all night.

Overall, very disappointing match which promised to be much better, esp compared to last night's 3rd place match, where both teams went out to win (not anywhere near as much pressure admittedly).

Anyone else wondering what Peter Houston's masterplan to beat Spain is. I'll start him off at - keep villa quiet, torres injured, put a few hefty tackles in - I'll leave the rest up to him lol

thebakerboy
11-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Feel that Howard Webb ruined the final , if he had sent off De Jong and van Bommell the Spaniards would probably have won by 3 or 4 nil , and he could have sent out a message to the CLOGGERS they dont win. Anyway Spain won thank goodness.
:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Musselbound
11-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Harry Potter better have taken his wand to the SFA with him or were Donad Ducked :panic:

Anything's possible, remember Switzerland. :agree:

Pretty dire game overall, lots of niggly fouls, the dutch over-heavy tackling made it very stop-start, although the spanish werent backwards at putting the foot in either.

Really hated seeing both teams (mostly spanish) surrounding the ref at every free kick demanding cards, seemed to be all busquets did all night.

Overall, very disappointing match which promised to be much better, esp compared to last night's 3rd place match, where both teams went out to win (not anywhere near as much pressure admittedly).

Anyone else wondering what Peter Houston's masterplan to beat Spain is. I'll start him off at - keep villa quiet, torres injured, put a few hefty tackles in - I'll leave the rest up to him lol

Wouldn't argue with some of your points but surprised at this one. I thought the Dutch were much worse for it tonight.

TornadoHibby
11-07-2010, 09:54 PM

Suggest you need to urgently visit Specsavers to enable you to make the right call on these very obvious "decisions" in future saving you the embarrassment of making seriously rash and wrong statements! :wink: :cool2:

Part/Time Supporter
11-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Thank **** Spain won that, Howard Webb could have negatively influenced football for the next 30 years if that team of Dutch cloggers (pun intended) had won.

SidBurns
11-07-2010, 09:59 PM

De Jong!?!?!?!

jdships
11-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Dutch had no intention of playing football from the first whistle.
Idea was to frustrate Spain and hit on the break -. I accept that is all part of football tactics - BUT !!!
However they went OTT with the tackles and were lucky not to have at least two sent off and while they changed tactic it didn't work either.
The Spanish had to be admired for their technical skills - at time they seemed to have extra men on the park.
It would have been a travesty had Holland won : this was a victory for football
I pick up my winnings tomorrow - £100 for a modest outlay a month ago :greengrin

seanraff07
12-07-2010, 01:37 AM
Totally agree.

Agree again.

Why? Lucky to get a game at all when he's been playing when clearly not fit. What about Llorente who played a blinder when he came on one game then never got a look in again? I feel more sorry for him.

The guy was just dying to play in the biggest game of his life, finally gets on then pulls up after about 5 minutes. If he's injured then maybe Spain should have done the right thing and gradually brought him back into the team instead of starting him in the first three games?

CapitalHibs
12-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Man!! Talk about sour grapes:grr:

"It's not our style. Let me put it this way, it's not our style to commit horrible fouls. It's not our kind of football.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/10/07/12/WORLDCUP_Final_Holland_Kuyt.html

Saorsa
12-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Man!! Talk about sour grapes:grr:

"It's not our style. Let me put it this way, it's not our style to commit horrible fouls. It's not our kind of football.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/10/07/12/WORLDCUP_Final_Holland_Kuyt.htmlSour grapes indeed :agree:

"We had many more yellow cards than we deserved. :hilarious

Mair like two reds less than they deserved :agree:

cloggers :bye:

ekhibee
12-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Have to agree with the great man here though:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/10/07/12/WORLDCUP_Holland_Cruyff.html

Hamish
12-07-2010, 05:39 PM
In a minority here but say Hibs got to the SC final and were playing one of the Bigot Brothers. We decided to employ spoiling tactics and try and close down our opponents at every opportunity, (by fair means or sometime foul), and ended up winning the thing with a break away (a la Robben).

Would we all be complaining about Hibs being anti-football?

Also if Van Bommel was English, he would be classed as 'playing on the edge' and 'every team needs one' :tin hat:

sh00byd00
12-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Therein lies the problem, Van Bommel is no Keane, Viera, Makelele etc, he's a throw back to the old Uruguayan players insofar that he's merely on the park to noise up the opposition, nothing else. whilst he's played in some top teams he's never been particularly outstanding. With the likes of Makelele, they/he had an abundance of skill in other areas of their game.

Webb's only mistake was not sending Dutch players off as and when the opportunities arose. If he had, the Spanish would have played a less physical game and The Netherlands wouldn't have had any of those opportunities that they are now moaning about.

The most disappointing thing is The Netherlands didn't need t resort to that type of game as they too have excellent players. lets be honest, they have two outstanding midfielders that on their day can be as potent as anything Spain have at their disposal.

snooky
12-07-2010, 06:24 PM
In a minority here but say Hibs got to the SC final and were playing one of the Bigot Brothers. We decided to employ spoiling tactics and try and close down our opponents at every opportunity, (by fair means or sometime foul), and ended up winning the thing with a break away (a la Robben).

Also if Van Bommel was English, he would be classed as 'playing on the edge' and 'every team needs one' :tin hat:

I think it is well documented that the Hibs support in general will not tolerate "anti-football" from their team. That's one of the qualities that sets us above the rest and, IMO long may it continue.

--------
12-07-2010, 06:26 PM

Two points here.

First, Hibs wouldn't get away with it against either of the Gruesome Twosome. We MIGHT get away with it against other teams, but I wouldn't like to see us try. We HAVE played like this in the past (though not committing the sort of fouls Van Bommel and De Jong got away with last night) and unless my memory's gone completely the general reaction of the Hibs supporters was extremely negative.

I'm thinking of the teams and tactics of the late unlamented Bertie Auld and Bobby Williamson. And even them I can't remember too many karate kicks to an opposition player's chest...

And second, the Dutch aren't a side of journeymen - they have enough talent in their team to give any side a difficult time of it without resorting to karate kicks and the sort of stuff Van Bommel's been getting away with throughout the tournament. They don't need to embarrass themselves the way they have.

I do remember a Celtic match during the short time Dave Ewing was manager. It was a grey January day, bitterly cold, and according to my memory we started the game by one after the other of our defenders putting the boot into Jimmy Johnstone. I don't think I had ever seen Hibs doing this sort of thing - it was calculated and quite cold-blooded and frankly quite nasty. We lost 2-1 and deserved to do so. Realism is one thing. Cynicism is something else.

You can tell me I'm being unrealistic if you like, but actually, no, I don't think I'd really be happy if Hibs went out to kick the opposition - ANY opposition - the way the Dutch did last night. Even if we ended up winning the game.

Hamish
12-07-2010, 06:28 PM
I think you are being unrealistic if it meant we won the Cup, but I get your jist

--------
12-07-2010, 06:36 PM
I think you are being unrealistic if it meant we won the Cup, but I get your jist

I take your point about the Cup.

If we are going to win it, I'd rather not feel embarrassed about the way we won it after the match was over.

If I were Dutch, I would be embarrassed by the way the team played last night.

weecounty hibby
12-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Can't be bothered reading the whole thread but it was the perfect final to "grace"the worst world cup ever. I don't care who the teams were that game was total rubbish and I for one am glad the world cup is over. The lack of excitement and the rather not lose than try to win style by most teams was mind numbing. When a team with the attacking options of the Dutch revert to that style of play you know that international football is going in the wrong direction.

snooky
12-07-2010, 06:48 PM
I take your point about the Cup.

If we are going to win it, I'd rather not feel embarrassed about the way we won it after the match was over.

If I were Dutch, I would be embarrassed by the way the team played last night.

Ageed. It would have been a tragedy if the Dutch had won last night given their tactics.
Hard Cheese! (double entendre).

How sad that the classy sides of the Cruyff & Gullit eras both fell at the final fence.

CropleyWasGod
12-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Ageed. It would have been a tragedy if the Dutch had won last night given their tactics.
Hard Cheese! (double entendre).

How sad that the classy sides of the Cruyff & Gullit eras both fell at the final fence.

Gullit was never in a WC Final. He did play in the European Chapionship winning team in 88.

A.Pedant :greengrin

big-mo
12-07-2010, 07:09 PM
I went to pick up my winnings from Ladbrokes today, I had a couple of quid on Spain, only 4/1 but not bad. I also had a couple of quid on germany e/w, I chanced my luck and asked if they were paying out for third place, she checked the ticket but the computer said NO, she said it should have paid out so I ended up getting £11 back on that one, not a bad day :greengrin

hibsbollah
12-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Can't be bothered reading the whole thread but it was the perfect final to "grace"the worst world cup ever. I don't care who the teams were that game was total rubbish and I for one am glad the world cup is over. The lack of excitement and the rather not lose than try to win style by most teams was mind numbing. When a team with the attacking options of the Dutch revert to that style of play you know that international football is going in the wrong direction.

I think Italia 90 was worse. This has been the worst since then though I reckon. The 74 World Cup was pretty dire by all accounts as well, although I was too young for that one.

I could never say im glad the world cup is over though, its still better than the alternative tv viewing on offer.

fife hfc
12-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Being in Spain the last two weeks has certainly made the world cup and the Spain games far more interesting for me. I know if I was at home last night I would not have had the same atmosphere and tension as I got last night. Everywhere we wnet before the game there was horns, flags and spanairds very excited indeed.

I was only in Menorca and the celebratioms were brilliant. I have never seen a car driven with the driver hanging out the window waving a flag (with both hands) and steering with his feet:greengrin. Its just a shame I had to get up a six this morning to catch a flight home.

Plus they don't have pitch side reporters of the quality of the Spanish telly.

Hibs90
12-07-2010, 07:59 PM
To be honest I thought the Dutch (despite being dirty *******s) were unlucky. As much of a great team Spain are, they played nowhere near their potential and scraped through the rounds and got a bit lucky.

Phil D. Rolls
12-07-2010, 08:01 PM
To be honest I thought the Dutch (despite being dirty *******s) were unlucky. As much of a great team Spain are, they played nowhere near their potential and scraped through the rounds and got a bit lucky.

Ugly tactics that almost got them there. We said in the pub last night it was all down to who got the first red. It would have been 0-0 if it was 11 v 11.

I hate to admit it, but Holland were probably the dirtier of the two teams, and were riding their luck.

lapsedhibee
12-07-2010, 09:09 PM
I hate to admit it, but Holland were probably the dirtier of the two teams, and were riding their luck.

Only porbally? :wtf: