PDA

View Full Version : Future Scotland team

patlowe
11-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Slightly non-hibs topic but with euro qualifiers coming up, I've been wondering during the World Cup whether Scotland could compete at that level. IMO, it's a shame our seeding has deteriorated so badly because I reckon we potentially have a good side to look forward to. How about this line-up in the not too distant future. Good enough?

...................................Gordon......... ...............................

Hutton..........Wilson.....................Hanlon. ............Wallace

Dorrans.......Brown........Fletcher.........Thomps on......Driver

...................................Fletcher....... ...............................

Subs: Wotherspoon, Fleck, Snodgrass, Boyd, Whittaker, Adam, McGregor,

The Aberdeen and Hibs lads look great international prospects as well by the way.

Austinho
11-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Would include Berra, Webster and Goodwillie in there somewhere. Also think the likes of McManus, Boyd, Maloney and McFadden will be around the team for a few years yet.

500miles
11-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Boyd's on the bench?! He'll take the huff again then......

seanraff07
11-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Boyd's on the bench?! He'll take the huff again then......

He'll be scoring goals for fun with Rooney for England by then anyway.:wink:

frazeHFC
11-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Morrison>Galbraith>Driver

basehibby
11-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Slightly non-hibs topic but with euro qualifiers coming up, I've been wondering during the World Cup whether Scotland could compete at that level. IMO, it's a shame our seeding has deteriorated so badly because I reckon we potentially have a good side to look forward to. How about this line-up in the not too distant future. Good enough?

...................................Gordon......... ...............................

...................................Fletcher....... ...............................

The Aberdeen and Hibs lads look great international prospects as well by the way.

I'm inclined to agree - I think the current Scotland squad is no worse than quite a few of the sides who played at the WC and we have some good talent coming through. We've been screwed by nightmare qualifying groups in the last 2 major championships, as well as by shooting ourselves in the foot along with weak management under Burley.
I'm hopeful that Levein can turn things around and with a little bit of luck, Euro 2012 will be achievable.

ScottB
11-07-2010, 11:59 PM

Indeed, but I'm sure we will still keep picking Kenny Miller, Lee McCulloch, Gary Caldwell and by then, the ghost of Davie Weir.

I'm hoping to be proven wrong in this by Levien, but I reckon he will continue in the same vein of picking Old Firm / Daily Record favourites instead of more interesting Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee United and even Premiership players...

Bristolhibby
12-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Indeed, but I'm sure we will still keep picking Kenny Miller, Lee McCulloch, Gary Caldwell and by then, the ghost of Davie Weir.

I'm hoping to be proven wrong in this by Levien, but I reckon he will continue in the same vein of picking Old Firm / Daily Record favourites instead of more interesting Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee United and even Premiership players...

If Kenny Miller is in the next Scotland team, I will rip my eyes out.

Not got at international level.

He seems to live off that goal against Germany in 2003 and Italy in 2005, oh and that goal against Man U for Wolves.

Fletch is the man for the Future.

J

SlickShoes
12-07-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm inclined to agree - I think the current Scotland squad is no worse than quite a few of the sides who played at the WC and we have some good talent coming through. We've been screwed by nightmare qualifying groups in the last 2 major championships, as well as by shooting ourselves in the foot along with weak management under Burley.
I'm hopeful that Levein can turn things around and with a little bit of luck, Euro 2012 will be achievable.

The problem is the teams that we are about equal too skill wise qualify from areas such as asia and oceania where the level of competition is far below that found in EU and South America.

We need to get back up to Pot2 for the draws before we will start qualifying regularly again i feel.

McKenzie
12-07-2010, 11:58 AM

He seems to live off that goal against Germany in 2003 and Italy in 2005, oh and that goal against Man U for Wolves.

J
He has it at club level ? :confused:

Stine
12-07-2010, 12:03 PM
With a number of these guys playing at Epl level, or hopefully will be in the future, i reckon the future is looking much better. The sort of experience they will get and perhaps an altered attitude and insight into what being a professional at the top end is, may result in these guys taking the next step up and pushing towards top half Epl.

The problem for me is much more ingrained in scotland's culture and development. Although things are changing at club level, we are so incredibly far behind what is required to achieve any sort of success internationally. Sure we can get results here or there against the 'Big nations' but we will never be consistently competing with them. Being a small country does not help that, but there are examples of succesful small countries.

Watching hibs last season and again on Saturday, it was obvious how confident and good the young guys are on the ball. This is the change needed, wether they make it, obviously depends on more than just ball skills but seeing the progress is exciting. However time and time again my excitement on seeing the possible progression of our beloved team, is dampened when instead of taking a second to look around, guys like rankin boot it up the park. The old if in doubt argument is always valid, but it only takes a second to make yourself aware of your surroundings.

Anyway, i think we are heading in the right direction and guys like Wotherspoon, hanlon, Welsh and Stevenson play the game how it should be. Composed, calm and always looking for a pass. I reckon Levein will look at bringing players into the international scene who want to play exactly like this, but until we have Xavi and Iniesta in our team, we will probs have to scrap through international matches for a long time. Much more that could be said, but that will do for now.

Hainan Hibs
12-07-2010, 12:07 PM

J

Miller proved in the last qualification campaign he is not good enough. His whopping 0 goal record is piss poor and the excuse that "well, he runs aboot ken" is invalid now as Fletcher runs about but he can actually hit a coo's erse with a banjo.

Miller is ****ing shocking at international level, I cannae stand him:grr::grr:

M11BMO
12-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Miller proved in the last qualification campaign he is not good enough. His whopping 0 goal record is piss poor and the excuse that "well, he runs aboot ken" is invalid now as Fletcher runs about but he can actually hit a coo's erse with a banjo.

Miller is ****ing shocking at international level, I cannae stand him:grr::grr:

Totally agree. That's been his excuse for poor goal scoring for far too long.

On the point of "Future Scotland Team" I do like the thought of Berra, Dorrans and Fletch still being very young and getting the chance to better themselves every week in the EPL. Them mixed in with the current lot i.e. Gordon, Darren Fletcher etc, all seems very promising.

jgl07
12-07-2010, 12:27 PM
The problem is the teams that we are about equal too skill wise qualify from areas such as asia and oceania where the level of competition is far below that found in EU and South America.

So you think Scotland could turn over Australia or South Korea or Japan?

.Sean.
12-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Scotland eleven i'd quite like to see...

Gordon

Hutton G.Caldwell Berra Wallace

Brown D.Fletcher Thomson

McFadden S.Fletcher

Boyd

patlowe
12-07-2010, 12:33 PM

I do. Just because things didn't go our way in the WC qualifiers doesn't automatically make us terrible. Conversely, our performance in the group with France and Italy didn't make us world beaters. International football is incredibly tight and the margins are tiny. I'm not saying we would wipe the floor with these teams but I don't think there's any reason to think we couldn't compete.

On Kenny Miller, I actually think he's done a decent job for Scotland. I just think it's time to start thinking of the future and Fletch is going to be Scotland's central attacker for the foreseeable.

Stine
12-07-2010, 01:11 PM
The margins are incredibly tight. Any team can go and set up their stall with ten men behind the ball and hope for a set piece or a counter attack. This was evident in the group stages of the WC. Scotland can go and do exactly this. My problem is i want more from my Country. I watch Spain play and i get quite passionate about it. Which consequently makes me feel guilty for not feeling that way about Scotland, of course if they were in the WC that would change.

I agree for the future it has to be Fletch. A premiership regular who has scored goals at every level.

Dashing Bob S
12-07-2010, 01:15 PM

We need to get back up to Pot2 for the draws before we will start qualifying regularly again i feel.

Nutshell.

ScottB
12-07-2010, 02:06 PM
The more of our players that end up down south, and ideally, elsewhere, the better. It will expose them to better players and force them to behave like top players do, ie not going out on the smash every week, such attitudes are one of the biggest hurdles Scottish football has to overcome.

That and of course actually setting up a plan for the future and following it through, Spain in recent times and France 10 years ago didn't just luck into 'golden generations' they were planned. Look at the huge number of top qualified coaches in Spain, from schools up. This is the system we need to be looking at.

Holland, and most specifically Uruguay and Slovakia show that small nations can compete and produce players of the highest level, or ones that can at least mix it at that sort of level. I really think the death of the Old Firm as the unquestioned financial superpowers of Scottish football will be a big boost for the national team as our promising players will now head for the upper Championship or follow Fletchers example into the lower teams of the Premiership. What we need now is a few more to join Darren Fletcher amongst the top sides, Scott Brown is an example of the problems, he's stagnated not having to try as hard at Celtic, I'm sure had he went South years ago he could have been at that sort of level, it's imperative the emerging generation don't end up with similar fates. Yes qualifying will be difficult, but in the grand scheme of things, we shouldn't be fearing going up against any one short of the Spains, Germanys and Hollands. If Slovakia and Switzerland can qualify and get in the mix then there is no excuse for us not being able to do so!

sesoim
12-07-2010, 09:37 PM

If FIFA didn't discriminate against European teams we wouldn't even need to be in pot 2 to qualify. To have only 13 teams out of the 32 at the World Cup when most of the teams in the last 16/8/4/2 are European proves we should be getting more places.

It would even be fairer if all the 2nd place teams from Europe played nations from other continents. If teams like Turkey, Russia and Ireland had been playing African or Asian teams to qualify instead of other European teams, the World Cup would more likely have had the BEST 32 teams in the World at the Finals instead of teams like North Korea and a few duds from Africa.

SlickShoes
12-07-2010, 10:14 PM

At home yes, away no. Apart from those three teams the rest are of a much lower level.

I dont think there is much separating Australia and Scotland talent wise at football.

SlickShoes
12-07-2010, 10:19 PM
If FIFA didn't discriminate against European teams we wouldn't even need to be in pot 2 to qualify. To have only 13 teams out of the 32 at the World Cup when most of the teams in the last 16/8/4/2 are European proves we should be getting more places.

It would even be fairer if all the 2nd place teams from Europe played nations from other continents. If teams like Turkey, Russia and Ireland had been playing African or Asian teams to qualify instead of other European teams, the World Cup would more likely have had the BEST 32 teams in the World at the Finals instead of teams like North Korea and a few duds from Africa.

I would agree with that, i could see group winners and the like all go through. But for the knockout qualifying before that it should be possible to play teams from other regions.

Look at who NZ played to get there, they won oceania easily against very small countries and then played off against bahrain. That level of competition pales in comparison to what most EU and South American countries went through.

North America is getting more competitive now but i still wouldnt put the USA and Mexico that far ahead of countries like us Turkey, Ireland etc

Asia, outside of South Korea, Japan and Australia the other teams are fairly weak.

deeks01
13-07-2010, 12:57 AM
.................gordon

hutton....berra......hanlon......wallace

wotherspoon......brown/thomshun.....fletcher........mcfadden

..............dorrans/miller
............................fletcher

now that IS a decent team... does levein have the balls to start only one OF player though? sadly I think not which is why we won't qualify.

basehibby
13-07-2010, 01:00 AM

On reflection - I think Riordan should have a space in that line up - i know he's no youngster these days, but last season he showed signs of achieving the work rate required at international level - maybe responding to Yogi's leadership style? Who knows!
Regardless - I think he's got that bit of "Brazil" about his game which we desperately lack and I hope he continues to apply himself and that Levein takes notice.

Cocaine&Caviar
13-07-2010, 01:59 AM
GK: Gordon, McGregor

DR: Hutton, Whittaker
DL: Wallace, Fox
DC: Caldwell, Webster
DC: Berra, McManus

ML: McFadden, Snodgrass
MR: Brown, Burke
MC: Dorrans, Thomson
MC: Fletcher, Adam

ST: Boyd, O'Connor
CF: Fletcher, McCormack

A very young squad, of which some are competing at the highest level...

Phil MaGlass
13-07-2010, 10:42 AM
I would be very tempted to put Deeks in as he is the only one (apart fae Boydy) who can conjure a goal from anywhere or out of nothing and can hit a great pinpoint free kick.

Steve-O
13-07-2010, 10:45 AM

Australia possibly, not sure about the other two.

Musselbound
13-07-2010, 11:07 AM
GK: Gordon, McGregor

DR: Hutton, Whittaker
DL: Wallace, Fox
DC: Caldwell, Webster
DC: Berra, McManus

ML: McFadden, Snodgrass
MR: Brown, Burke
MC: Dorrans, Thomson
MC: Fletcher, Adam

ST: Boyd, O'Connor
CF: Fletcher, McCormack

A very young squad, of which some are competing at the highest level...

When you look at it like that (two players for every position), there is little doubt that we are better off than a few years ago and are heading in the right direction. This is important as there will always be a number of call offs. One of the things I find most encouraging is that there are a few players there with a trick or two up their sleeve besides Faddy: Dorrans, Snodgrass and Adam. Lack of creativity and spark have been one of the main things lacking for years. I'm still concerned that the options up front are too limited and that's why Kenny Miller is still getting his game. Fletch is a big hope and let's see how Boyd does at Boro, but given lack of form/injuries over the last season or two, GOC and McCormack have a long way to go to be considered international class. The latter looked like he was coming onto it, but he had a poor season last year, struggling to hold down a place in a Championship team. By the way, I think Morrison of WBA could be added to the midfield options and although not really one for the future, Barry Robson has been in top form lately.

Jones28
13-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Craig Gordon

Whittiker Berra Hanlon Wallace

Goodwillie Dorrans Fletcher Brown Driver

Fletcher

Suttin like that :confused:

Hainan Hibs
14-07-2010, 12:11 AM
I'd posted on another thread my team would be,

Gordon

Hutton Caldwell Berra Whittaker

Brown Fletcher Thomson

Dorrans..................Mcfadden

Boyd

With S.Fletcher swapping with Boyd if we need someone willing to do a lot of running. Weak point is the CB area which is an area we badly need youngsters coming through in (Hopefully Hanlon in the near future:greengrin)