PDA

View Full Version : NHC World Cup stadiums?

Hibernia Na Eir
10-07-2010, 06:55 PM
been mightly impressed with the stadiums built for this years WC in SA.

But, seeing as though the standard of club football is pretty crap over there, what are they gonna do with all these magic stadiums (probably half empty most of the time)?

Kaiser Chiefs FC etc.....hardly the cream of world club football !

Bristolhibby
10-07-2010, 07:04 PM

But, seeing as though the standard of club football is pretty crap over there, what are they gonna do with all these magic stadiums (probably half empty most of the time)?

Same as most other world cups. Bari was second division untill last season, and they have a massive stadium from the world cup.

I remember reading that in Germany a town in the east got a stadium that could almost fit the whole town in.

J

(((Fergus)))
10-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Same as most other world cups. Bari was second division untill last season, and they have a massive stadium from the world cup.

I remember reading that in Germany a town in the east got a stadium that could almost fit the whole town in.

J

The only WC 2006 stadia in Eastern Germany were Berlin and Leipzig which are massive cities. Maybe you are thinking of Hoffenheim? (Big stadium but not built for WC).

BTW interesting colour of stadium they've chosen for year's final...

http://www.ecenglish.com/blogs/Cape-Town/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/soccer-city-near-soweto-johannesburg.jpg

--------
10-07-2010, 07:36 PM
The only WC 2006 stadia in Eastern Germany were Berlin and Leipzig which are massive cities. Maybe you are thinking of Hoffenheim? (Big stadium but not built for WC).

BTW interesting colour of stadium they've chosen for year's final...

http://www.ecenglish.com/blogs/Cape-Town/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/soccer-city-near-soweto-johannesburg.jpg

Two of the stadia built for the S Korea/Japan WC were demolished because there were no teams in S Korea who could afford to make use of them.

The Olympic facilities in Athens are slowly falling apart.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these grounds suffered the same fate.

stu in nottingham
10-07-2010, 07:55 PM
I know from South African friends that many people over there are angry at the way so much money has been spent on the new stadiums. There's a strong body of opinion that the money should have been spent elsewhere for more needy causes. I guess that argument must always occur for any large tournament/games but it is more deeply engrained considering some of the poverty in SA.

--------
10-07-2010, 08:21 PM
I know from South African friends that many people over there are angry at the way so much money has been spent on the new stadiums. There's a strong body of opinion that the money should have been spent elsewhere for more needy causes. I guess that argument must always occur for any large tournament/games but it is more deeply engrained considering some of the poverty in SA.

:agree:

Didn't FIFA insist on a brand-new stadium being built from the ground up at huge expense in Cape Town, when there was a stadium there already that could have been refurbished much more cheaply?

Luna_Asylum
10-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Two of the stadia built for the S Korea/Japan WC were demolished because there were no teams in S Korea who could afford to make use of them.

The Olympic facilities in Athens are slowly falling apart.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these grounds suffered the same fate.

sauce?

stu in nottingham
10-07-2010, 08:29 PM

Didn't FIFA insist on a brand-new stadium being built from the ground up at huge expense in Cape Town, when there was a stadium there already that could have been refurbished much more cheaply?

Not certain of the facts, Doddie, but I think that's correct. It seems to be indicative of what many people were saying there generally - that existing facilities could have been upgraded rather than spend so much on brand new stadiums when there are people in such great need.

I wonder if some of the rugby clubs will step in and use these new stadiums?

Keith_M
10-07-2010, 08:30 PM

Not exactly what he mentioned but, the stadium in Leipzig is 44,000 capacity and hosts attendances of 2-3,000.

In Austria, none of the 3 stadia that were built specifically for the Euros ever have attendances even approaching the required minimum capacity of 30,000.

It looks like it's going to be the same again in SA. Seems a bit of a waste.

--------
10-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Not certain of the facts, Doddie, but I think that's correct. It seems to be indicative of what many people were saying there generally - that existing facilities could have been upgraded rather than spend so much on brand new stadiums when there are people in such great need.

That's a possibility, at least, Stu, but I suspect that the bigger ones already have adequate grounds to play in. Whether they'll want to move is a big question.

It was also rather obvious that tickets were priced well out of the reach of the regular fans.

I would love to think that five years from now Hibs will be seeing crowds of 16,000 or 18,000 ordinary fans - men women, children, families - in the new ground and everyone having a great time at a reasonable price....

Storar
10-07-2010, 08:45 PM

Isn't ignorance wonderful :wink:
This years Nedbank Cup final (equivalent to the Scottish Cup) was played between two mid-table sides Bitvest Wits and Amazulu infront of 94,000 people.
Remind me how many people attended the Scottish Cup final again? Or even the semis

jgl07
10-07-2010, 08:47 PM

The only suitable existing stadium in Cape Town was Newlands rugby stadium (next to the Cricket ground). It looked a decent stadium to me. It holds 51,000 but is not all seated.

I was over there last September and saw a Premier League match on TV between Ajax Cape Town and Witwatersrand University. This was held at Newlands because of construction work and appeared to be at least 90% empty.

If Cape Town are going to play at the new stadium there will be a lot of empty seats.

--------
10-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Isn't ignorance wonderful :wink:
This years Nedbank Cup final (equivalent to the Scottish Cup) was played between two mid-table sides Bitvest Wits and Amazulu infront of 94,000 people.
Remind me how many people attended the Scottish Cup final again? Or even the semis

The question in my mind isn't whether the clubs could FILL the new stadiums.

It's whether they can afford to pay to use them. The Korean clubs could have filled the two stadiums that were demolished - they just couldn't afford the rent.

94,000 at the Cup Final makes sense - but how much did each spectator pay, and what was the total gate money? :cool2:

Luna_Asylum
10-07-2010, 08:57 PM
The question in my mind isn't whether the clubs could FILL the new stadiums.

It's whether they can afford to pay to use them. The Korean clubs could have filled the two stadiums that were demolished - they just couldn't afford the rent.

94,000 at the Cup Final makes sense - but how much did each spectator pay, and what was the total gate money? :cool2:

which stadiums were they?

NAE NOOKIE
10-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Same in Japan where as far as I know some of the grounds are under used.

On that note I googled some of the teams we might get in the Europa game and by and large apart from Split most of the stadiums werent a patch on ER.

IberianHibernian
10-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Lots of examples of big stadiums being built for football , Olympics , Commonwealth ( was Meadowbank ever full except for Commonwealth and odd athletics meetings in 70s ? ) without much use afterwards . Stadium in Seville where Celtic played Oporto was built for World Athletics Championships and has hardly been used for any big sports event since Celtic game ( just odd concert ). European Championship in Portugal in 2004 was considered a success except that too much was spent on stadiums ( 12 in a country with a poulation of about 9 million ) but they did have the good idea of having temporary seating in 2 or 3 grounds so 30,000 capacities became 20,000 after so reducing maintenance costs . South Africa is a particularly bad case cause of poverty there . Till we ( sports fans all over the world ) stop buying shirts , paying TV contracts and paying exorbitant ticket prices , whole sports circus will continue and that will include building big unnecessary stadiums .

Prof. Shaggy
11-07-2010, 12:40 AM

There are about 10 times as many people in SA who play/watch football compared to rugby.