PDA

View Full Version : The Amalfi Coast - Maiori

Hibbyradge
10-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Has anyone been to Maiori?

What did you think of it?

Hamish
10-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Beautiful place, was there 2 years ago in the Setember -temp was in the high 70's most of the time. Very quiet and relaxing and definitely not for the Engerland types. Locals are friendly and whilst most of the bars and restaurants speak English, I tried some Italian and they seem pleased that I at least tried:greengrin. Prices were ok - a beer was about 2 quid and the 2 of us could get a decent meal for 20/25 quid with drinks

Bus service isn't bad (you buy tickets in the local shops before you board) and you can go to the larger touristy Amalfi in about 25 minutes.

Salerno is also possible by bus (roads are a bit scary though - very narrow).

We were there for 2 weeks and whilst we really enjoyed it 10/11 days would have been enough.

Hope this helps a bit

Hibbyradge
10-07-2010, 03:49 PM
That's terrific. Thanks.

Phil D. Rolls
10-07-2010, 04:48 PM
I was in Sorrento once, and I beleive Amalfi is just down the road. Beautiful bit of the world.

stu in nottingham
12-07-2010, 11:00 AM
There was a thread about the Campagnia region here a little while ago:

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?182782-Sorrento.....&highlight=Amalfi

I took a long country walk through the old lemon and olive groves around the coast to Maiori from Amalfi one afternoon. Didn't spend too much time there but it seemed a very pleasant little resort.

There are a lot of beautiful and interesting places to visit down there, it's nearly all wonderful. My particular favourites are Ravello up in the hills and the Island of Ischia. Positano is is just beautiful too. It's a good idea to look up the various ferry and hydrofoil services that link up the mainland and the islands. some very nice excursions to be had.

Have a good time, Davey.