PDA

View Full Version : When did everyone start liking the tache?

Ross4356
10-07-2010, 01:15 PM
I've been a member on .net for 5 years now and I remember a time when Rod used to get pelters on here. So I was just wondering when we all, rightly so changed are mind about the great man

jpt11
10-07-2010, 01:30 PM
I've been a member on .net for 5 years now and I remember a time when Rod used to get pelters on here. So I was just wondering when we all, rightly so changed are mind about the great man

Could this apply to the Tache?
"There is something you should understand about the way I work. When you need me but do not want me, then I must stay. When you want me but no longer need me, then I have to go. It's rather sad, really, but there it is."

Could imagine him saying that!!! :agree:

Aldo
10-07-2010, 01:34 PM
I have always liked the tache and taken a bit of stick on this board on a few occasions for posting this.

In fact...at the new year derby I got my Piccy taken with him and made ma day.

In Rod we trust.

WarringtonHibee
10-07-2010, 02:07 PM
http://i27.tinypic.com/1zmnk0y.jpg

blackpoolhibs
10-07-2010, 02:12 PM

20 foot high replicas of this would look great on each corner of the ground.

Hibbyradge
10-07-2010, 02:12 PM
I can trace my admiration back to when I was in the womb. :agree:

Dashing Bob S
10-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Flogging O'Connor to Moscow just before the Yam semi sold me.

Betty Boop
10-07-2010, 02:27 PM

:greengrin

southern hibby
10-07-2010, 02:38 PM
I think that Rodders is exactly what we needed in a time when we were losing money left right and centre.
He came in steaded the ship and there has been lots of sh*t thrown his way but I swore that when we were trying to saved Hibs from that ********* Mercer, I would except a pub team called Hibs rather than loose my team to him. I also said that I woukld except whatever it took to get us back on track so this did not happen again. I have stuck by my word and it has been hard, but i have endured.
We are Gentlemen ALMOST THERE.
Yes there is several things still to be done. Some debt to be paid off and other bits and pieces probably going on behind the scenes that we will probably never get to know about, BUT:

THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT AND THE FUTURE IS EDINBURGH HIBERNIAN FOOTBALL CLUB.

KWJ
10-07-2010, 04:41 PM
20 foot high replicas of this would look great on each corner of the ground.

:greengrin Quality!

Prof. Shaggy
10-07-2010, 04:44 PM
It started, imho, when he stopped Bobby Williamson exchanging Riordan and Whittaker for an Inverness centre half whose name and career I've forgotten. His replacement of Williamson by Mowbray was the next stage in the conquest of our hearts.
In the spiritual sense of course.

Phil D. Rolls
10-07-2010, 04:54 PM
I think the Tache love in coincided with the announcement that the fourth stand was going up. I believe that is when the penny dropped with a lot of people that it wasnt a case of asset stripping but was actually part of a well thought out plan.

For me, the way he has handled transfers and errant managers is very good. There is still a lot to blame him for, and if the catering isnt sorted out soon, I swear I may well end up doing time.

HIBERNIAN-0762
10-07-2010, 05:25 PM
I think he knows what he is doing, it's dead easy for anyone to say get this sorted blah blah blah, I've had my moments where I wanted to strangle the bassa and moments I wanted to give him a big hug (especially when he told the smellies to eff off with Fletcher).

But have to say the PR at ER is shocking at times, the new stand and the strip really should have been promoted faster and not left to dot netters to do wee drawings :greengrin

Get it sorted! :grr:.....erm Rod :wink:

matty_f
10-07-2010, 09:51 PM
I think the Tache love in coincided with the announcement that the fourth stand was going up. I believe that is when the penny dropped with a lot of people that it wasnt a case of asset stripping but was actually part of a well thought out plan.

For me, the way he has handled transfers and errant managers is very good. There is still a lot to blame him for, and if the catering isnt sorted out soon, I swear I may well end up doing time.

I agree with a lot of that, but I think folk started to see things in a different light when we built the training centre, and were able to knock back bids for Boozy, Jones, Fletcher etc until it suited us, while at the same time starting to make noises about completing the stadium (then actually going on and doing it, rather than pissing about for four years claiming it's going to happen).

All this while most of the rest of Scottish football are struggling to do anything other than scrape by.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
10-07-2010, 10:01 PM
It was a collective moment of clarity.

Jamesie
10-07-2010, 10:21 PM
It started, imho, when he stopped Bobby Williamson exchanging Riordan and Whittaker for an Inverness centre half whose name and career I've forgotten. His replacement of Williamson by Mowbray was the next stage in the conquest of our hearts.

Anyone who ever suggests Williamson wasn't all that bad should be reminded of this.

An Leargaidh
10-07-2010, 10:44 PM

I have slagged the great man myself a few times but not in a serious way. RP is god in a mortal form. Look across the city! They don't have an RP, they have a dodgy Lithuanian banker :agree:

In Turkmenistan, in the capital city, there is a 20 metre high gold statue of the leader of the country that rotates each day to follow the path of the sun. I am promoting a move to have a large luminous green statue of RP erected in the corner between the East and South that looks towards whatever end of the pitch we are playing at.... :greengrin

All hail RP! :notworthy:

IWasThere2016
10-07-2010, 10:47 PM

:top marks

FranckSuzy
10-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Could this apply to the Tache?
"There is something you should understand about the way I work. When you need me but do not want me, then I must stay. When you want me but no longer need me, then I have to go. It's rather sad, really, but there it is."

Could imagine him saying that!!! :agree:

Aww, did you see Nanny McPhee too? :wink: :greengrin

An Leargaidh
10-07-2010, 10:52 PM

I have printed this off and framed it! Superb, all hail!!! :notworthy:

basehibby
10-07-2010, 11:11 PM
I never had any grudge to bear with the tache - there was the odd decision along the way which I disgreed with but I always thought the grand strategy was sound even if the years of belt tightening were sometimes hard to take.

Over the years though he's pulled off some masterstrokes - the appointment of Mowbray and his subsequent success in bringing beautiful football back to ER quite startled me and convinced me that Rod's capabilities were now growing beyond the mastery of the balance sheet to take in the finer nuances of running a football club.

Since then he's proved himself to be a consistently canny and tough negotiator in the transfer market with the steady increase evident in the playing budget as finances have improved evidence that he's as good as his word in his stated aim of spending one pound less than the club earns each season.

These days the masterplan seems to be coming to fruition with the stadium nearing completion, a top class training centre in the bag and the playing budget steadily increasing year on year - the majority of the credit for all this must surely go to Petrie who has been the man at the helm throughout this transformation.

The manager and players now have a platform to move forward from which would have been the envy of all their predecessors - if they can translate that into a sustained improvement in our fortunes on the pitch then I can see Rod becoming a hallowed and legendary figure in the history of our club - here's hoping :cheers:

HibbyRod
10-07-2010, 11:19 PM

:tee hee:

Nice one FR! :cool2:

Kaiser1962
11-07-2010, 07:30 AM

I recall this was a certain Bobby Mann.

Inspired forward thinking by the Blobmeister.

Jack
11-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Rod often gets the blame for getting us into the financial doo doo in the first place but we were only doing what every other club was doing with what was thought to be our god given right to vast and increasing sums of TV money. If he hadn't we'd have been very uncompetitive and he would have been slated for that.
When the change came Rod took the honest and long term view while others did what they did.
Rod had some luck along the way, with the golden generation, that shortened the pain.
The plan was always there for folk to see, some just took a wee bit longer to see it and/or believe in it.

BEEJ
11-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Since January 2008 there has been a notable improvement in the calibre of player we have been able to attract to ER. Not clear whether this was down to:

1) Completion of East Mains leading to a loosening of the squad purse strings.
2) Scott Lindsay's appointment as Chief Executive heralding a change in policy on wage structures.
3) JC's parting comments (much publicised) on the difficulties of attracting players of experience and calibre to the club.
4) Mixu setting down ground rules on transfers if he was going to be appointed as Manager.

or some combination of them all. But for me that period marked a notable shift in the balance of funding away from off-field infrastructure development / debt reduction and towards squad development.

Most supporters have always understood the need for the former; the argument was always over the proper allocation of funds between the two areas. A better balance has been in place since early 2008.

Phil D. Rolls
11-07-2010, 08:53 AM
I wonder if anyone else thinks this is a good idea?

We could carve a likeness of the tache into the Castle Rock, along the lines of Mount Rushmore in the USA.

BEEJ
11-07-2010, 08:59 AM
I wonder if anyone else thinks this is a good idea?

We could carve a likeness of the tache into the Castle Rock, along the lines of Mount Rushmore in the USA.

With one of our former goalkeeping coach, Gordon Marshall, right alongside.

Phil D. Rolls
11-07-2010, 09:09 AM

With one of our former goalkeeping coach, Gordon Marshall, right alongside.

Has anyone ever seen him though? May be hard to get an accurate likeness