PDA

View Full Version : Third place play off

Hibbyradge
10-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Is anyone even slightly interested in the game tonight?

Tollhouse Hibee
10-07-2010, 11:30 AM

yes - because i think uruguay will want to think they are 3rd best in the world.

Wembley67
10-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Yup, its football and IIRC are the playoffs not usually the best games as both teams just come out and play the game how it should be played?

Glasgow Hibee
10-07-2010, 12:19 PM

Nope...

Steve-O
10-07-2010, 12:31 PM
I have never watched a 3rd place play off in my life and I won't be getting up at 6:30am to watch this one :no way:

blackpoolhibs
10-07-2010, 12:33 PM
I will watch it, will probably have a bet on it. So yes i'm interested.

PeeJay
10-07-2010, 12:45 PM

Can't watch this evening, but I hope Germany win it, although Uruguay have - for the first time ever in any WC - shown (to me) that they are a likeable/skilfull team and not just the bunch of thugs I used to hold them for. Anyway, 350,000 plus fans expected this evening in Berlin and it's just gone 36 °C -phew!
Germany's team was supposed to come to Berlin to celebrate a fantastic WC, but now they've decided they'd rather not bother.
Anyway, I'm more looking forward to listening to the Hibs on the radio!:greengrin

seanraff07
10-07-2010, 12:59 PM
I'll watch it, i hope Germany win.

Hibrandenburg
10-07-2010, 01:23 PM

Be interesting to see if Klose can break the all time world cup goals record.

seanraff07
10-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Be interesting to see if Klose can break the all time world cup goals record.

How many does he need to break it?

HibbyAndy
10-07-2010, 01:29 PM
I will watch it, will probably have a bet on it. So yes i'm interested.

Correct.

zlatan
10-07-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm leading a prediction competition with a £400 first prize and have Germany to finish 3rd and Spain to win on it so I am slightly intrigued, yes.

HibbyAndy
10-07-2010, 01:33 PM
how many does he need to break it?

2 iirc.

The Silver Fox
10-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Can't help but feel that Uruguay will get third place. Germany will be gutted at not making the final and I think third place will mean more to Uruguay than Germany.

zlatan
10-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Can't help but feel that Uruguay will get third place. Germany will be gutted at not making the final and I think third place will mean more to Uruguay than Germany.

Nah, Lowes last game and that young team will be hurting and looking to go out with a bang. Plus they'll all be desperate to help Klose get the record.

He better not btw, I have a Spain/Villa top scorer bet as well as a Spanish player to finish top scorer in that prediction competition :grr:

(((Fergus)))
10-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Nah, Lowes last game and that young team will be hurting and looking to go out with a bang. Plus they'll all be desperate to help Klose get the record.

He better not btw, I have a Spain/Villa top scorer bet as well as a Spanish player to finish top scorer in that prediction competition :grr:

Any word on who's taking over as manager?

Jamie
10-07-2010, 02:47 PM
It's footy so aye :thumbsup:

sesoim
10-07-2010, 03:52 PM

There's always more goals in the 3rd/4th play-off, so yeah.

Other than Germany, most of the teams have been low scoring bores at this years finals so I want them to win, hopefully about 4-2.

As for tomorrow, I think it will be a really boring 1-0 for whoever can sneak a set-piece goal. :zzzzz!: Bring on the new season!

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-07-2010, 05:44 PM
No Klose or Podolski for Germany, not sure if they are subs.

Riordans Boots
10-07-2010, 06:03 PM
No Klose or Podolski for Germany, not sure if they are subs.

SSN reporting he is on the bench :agree: Flu virus has been spreading round the team.

Pretty Boy
10-07-2010, 06:06 PM
I'll be watching with my Germany top on and the Becks in the fridge.

3rd/4th place games are usually pretty decent so think it could be a good one.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-07-2010, 06:07 PM
10 @ 9s Suarez and 10 @ 7.8 Forlan 1st scorer - just discovered Betfair Mobile!

thebakerboy
10-07-2010, 06:21 PM

Yes potentially could be the best game yet with at least 2 players in with a chance of the golden boot plus Klose if he is fit enough to come off the bench. game should be played with no fear of losing so looking forward to a few goals.:Awright!::drool:

lapsedhibee
10-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Uruguay have - for the first time ever in any WC - shown (to me) that they are a likeable/skilfull team and not just the bunch of thugs I used to hold them for.

:bitchy: According to the ITV commentator, the whole of Africa hates them. Still going on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about the Suarez offence although he's not so far claimed it was worse than what Raoul Moat's been up to (couple of hours to go though, so still time).

TheGreenMan
10-07-2010, 06:32 PM
10 @ 9s Suarez and 10 @ 7.8 Forlan 1st scorer - just discovered Betfair Mobile!

Its all downhill from there :greengrin

I'm on:

£2 HT/FT; DRAW/URUGUAY @ 8/1
£3 Both Players to Score; Ozil & Suarez @ 22/1

I have no idea how this game will go, just took a lucky guess...:thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
10-07-2010, 06:52 PM
1-0 Germany, Mueller.

He's now the top goalscorer, alongside Sneijder and Villa.

blackpoolhibs
10-07-2010, 06:56 PM
1-0 Germany, Mueller.

He's now the top goalscorer, alongside Sneijder and Villa.

:thumbsup: I have germany ht germany ft.

blackpoolhibs
10-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Oh well. :greengrin

Riordans Boots
10-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Game on 1-1

Hibernia Na Eir
10-07-2010, 06:59 PM
1-1 now

good game too

seanraff07
10-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Great game, both teams just going for it.. no diving or time-wasting making it a joy to watch.

Sir David Gray
10-07-2010, 07:38 PM
2-1 Uruguay, Forlan.

Great goal.

blackpoolhibs
10-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Forlan 2-1, great finish. He's done fantastically well since he left Man U. :top marks

Riordans Boots
10-07-2010, 07:43 PM
2 a piece

Sir David Gray
10-07-2010, 07:43 PM
2-2, Jensen.

This has been a really good game.:thumbsup:

seanraff07
10-07-2010, 07:44 PM
2-2, what a game.

down-the-slope
10-07-2010, 07:45 PM
enjoying this game...bet the final is not as good.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
10-07-2010, 07:48 PM

What a silly question.

--------
10-07-2010, 07:50 PM
2-2, what a game.

Yup.

Suarez nearly made it 3-2 - cracking shot.

But I REALLY wish they would give the hand-ball thing a rest. :grr:

seanraff07
10-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Yup.

Me too, if i was playing for Scotland in the same circumstances and the only way of me stopping the ball from crossing the line was using my hand then i would be doing the same as Suarez done.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
10-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Yup.

:agree: Most footballers would have done exactly the same as Suarez, and most nations who benefit from these happily accept their good fortune without feeling compelled to arrange a rematch

IWasThere2016
10-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Great game - happily take more via ET and pens if necessary :agree:

Sir David Gray
10-07-2010, 08:09 PM
3-2 Germany. Khedira.

Riordans Boots
10-07-2010, 08:09 PM
3-2 Germany

--------
10-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Me too, if i was playing for Scotland in the same circumstances and the only way of me stopping the ball from crossing the line was using my hand then i would be doing the same as Suarez done.

3-2 Germany - Khedira.

seanraff07
10-07-2010, 08:11 PM
3-2, decent header.

--------
10-07-2010, 08:15 PM
3-2, decent header.

Wicked corner. Any chance of us signing that lad? :cool2:

Sir David Gray
10-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Forlan hit the crossbar with the last kick of the ball from a free kick.

3-2 Germany, full time.

--------
10-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Forlan hit the crossbar with the last kick of the ball from a free kick.

3-2 Germany, full time.

Cracking game. Not holding my breath for tomorrow night, though.

Those were the two teams of the tournament for me. :thumbsup:

HH81
10-07-2010, 08:24 PM
good game for a 3rd place play off. Think it will be a miles better one than the final. I predict 0-0 and pens tomorrow.

ekhibee
10-07-2010, 08:26 PM
What an excellent game of football. Germany have played well virtually the whole tournament, but Uruguay deserve a lot of credit, not only for how they performed tonight. To me, Suarez was affected by the crowd, but maybe that's just me.

IWasThere2016
10-07-2010, 08:26 PM
My lad's got Villa as top scorer - he was worried with Forlan's free :greengrin

He's got him at 12/1 and doesnae believe me that he'll only get quarter odds if things stay as is - with Villa, Schneider, Muller and Forlan on 5 goals.

ekhibee
10-07-2010, 08:34 PM

He's got him at 12/1 and doesnae believe me that he'll only get quarter odds if things stay as is - with Villa, Schneider, Muller and Forlan on 5 goals.
I hope he wins it. There's no way that the goal against Brazil was anything other than an own goal, it should never have been credited to Snijder in the first place.

heretoday
10-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Name your price Mr Forlan.

seanraff07
10-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Wicked corner. Any chance of us signing that lad? :cool2:

Who was it that took it?:greengrin

Glasgow Hibee
10-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Nope...

I take it back.

Watched the second half and it was a cracker of a game....:thumbsup:

Next time I'll no be so dismissive. Really looking forward to the final tomorrow

stevensons-fan
10-07-2010, 08:42 PM

Ive got Villa as top scorer too, was a bit worried when Forlan stepped up to take the freekick!

Riordans Boots
10-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Mon Holland :thumbsup:

And in the words of Jakki - "Fooook that octopus" :thumbsup:

--------
10-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Who was it that took it?:greengrin

Ozil. An awfully good player. :agree:

sesoim
10-07-2010, 08:46 PM
:bitchy: According to the ITV commentator, the whole of Africa hates them. Still going on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about the Suarez offence although he's not so far claimed it was worse than what Raoul Moat's been up to (couple of hours to go though, so still time).

:agree: Everybody would have done what Suarez done, it's not like he sat and planned to do it for days beforehand. Nobody could give a **** about it now so why do a few English commentators who clearly don't understand football have to keep bringing it up?

sesoim
10-07-2010, 08:48 PM
There's always more goals in the 3rd/4th play-off, so yeah.

Other than Germany, most of the teams have been low scoring bores at this years finals so I want them to win, hopefully about 4-2.

As for tomorrow, I think it will be a really boring 1-0 for whoever can sneak a set-piece goal. :zzzzz!: Bring on the new season!

Almost right with the prediction, hope I'm wrong but I still think tomorrow will be a very low scoring bore.

NAE NOOKIE
10-07-2010, 08:51 PM
:agree: Most footballers would have done exactly the same as Suarez, and most nations who benefit from these happily accept their good fortune without feeling compelled to arrange a rematch

:top marks

Since Sauraez handled that ball I havn't heard such a load of crap from pundits on one incident. It seems to me that coz it stopped an African team getting to the semis its crime of the century.

If I was an African Iwould be feeling pretty patronised by now in the knowledge that if the opposition had been Argentina for instance we wouldn't have had this massive over reaction.

:grr:

Just watched a great game for 3rd / 4th though :thumbsup:

lapsedhibee
10-07-2010, 09:31 PM
why do a few English commentators who clearly don't understand football have to keep bringing it up?
It's almost as if the English commentators have some sort of fetish about how terribly terribly wrong it is for a South American team to progress in the Worldcup as a result of one of their players handling the ball ... but why? :faf::faf:

HibsMax
10-07-2010, 09:34 PM
I think I am about the only person that thinks the booing of Saurez at the game was justified. LOL.

Imagine the World Cup being held in the UK with some games being played in Scotland (meaning that there is a likelihood that there will be at least some Scots in the crowds). Now imagine you're in the crowd as a neutral and one of the players on the field was directly responsible for Scotland's exit from the competition. I can imagine him receiving some boos.....if he was lucky but more likely he would be cowering from the rain of coins. LOL.

Of course most professionals would do the same. Of course it's not as bad as breaking a guy's leg. And I understand that the rules of the game were followed and that Ghana were given a penalty kick but I think we all know that penalty kick is not a certain goal (obviously).

The commentary team over here in the USA were all over the fans for their disgraceful behaviour. I think that if you're going to cheat then you have to be prepared to take the backlash. Not all fouls are the same.

HibsMax
10-07-2010, 09:35 PM

Apparently signing for Hibs. :D

Hainan Hibs
10-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Good game with some good goals. The Uruguay goalie would've been lucky to escape Easter Road with his life if he had played like that with a Hibs top on though:greengrin.

The thing about what Suarez done for me is if it was the other way around, and the Ghana player had used his hand, he probably would've been painted a hero. But because it was the African team who went out Suarez is a complete villian.

Anyone would've done what he done. I was wishing that he'd score tonight so he could get it right roooond the crowd again.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
10-07-2010, 09:50 PM
good game for a 3rd place play off. Think it will be a miles better one than the final. I predict 0-0 and pens tomorrow.

:agree: Understandable though.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Flat out in my pit, had 30 @ 7/4 on Germany with 25mins to go, almost a mare with Forlans injury time free kick!

Woody1985
10-07-2010, 11:14 PM
I was interested in it for a number of reasons:

1. I've got Villa as a top goalscorer bet.
2. I had Uruguay in my work sweep where 3rd place paid £8. 4th got nothing.
3. I have a £10 side bet with a guy at work in the FF. With two games left I had sweinsteiger and needed him to score or assist to catch him. Not sure who set up the first goal though.

vein
10-07-2010, 11:40 PM
I was interested in it for a number of reasons:

1. I've got Villa as a top goalscorer bet.
2. I had Uruguay in my work sweep where 3rd place paid £8. 4th got nothing.
3. I have a £10 side bet with a guy at work in the FF. With two games left I had sweinsteiger and needed him to score or assist to catch him. Not sure who set up the first goal though.

Schweinsteiger shot was pushed out by the keeper straight to Muller, you may get an assist for that.

Hibbyradge
11-07-2010, 07:13 AM
What a silly question.

What a silly answer.

Hibbyradge
11-07-2010, 07:17 AM
quite an enjoyable game and I was disappointed that it didn't go to extra time.

It seems there was a lot more interest than had been apparent from the lack of threads about it, this one being the first, I think.

Now for the final. 4-3 Holland. :wink:

sunshine1875
11-07-2010, 07:30 AM
What an enjoyable day:

1. Watch the Hibs win four-nil against the Pars
2. Watch some youngsters playing well (Stephens, Currie etc)
3. Home to watch a good game of football on TV with both sides playing football the right way

Can't wait for the Euro game(s) and SPL season to begin.

mim
11-07-2010, 11:32 AM

He's right not to believe you. :wink:
If things stay as they are, he'll get diddly squat.
When there is a tie, assists count and Muller leads at the moment. :agree:

Good old FIFA, eh?

Woody1985
11-07-2010, 12:06 PM

Good old FIFA, eh?

:grr: I've got Villa as well, I thought the odds would get chopped.

Hibbyradge
11-07-2010, 12:18 PM

Good old FIFA, eh?

It's not really FIFA's fault.

They want to give an award the tournament's top scorer. In case of a tie, they will give the award to the player with the most assists.

The bookies can pay out on whatever they like. Also, I'm sure I've seen bets which would be declared null and void if there was no outright winner before.

Villa's still a strong favourite though.

stevensons-fan
11-07-2010, 12:21 PM

I thought that would happen too, please score tonight Villa! :pray:

Woody1985
11-07-2010, 12:29 PM
It's not really FIFA's fault.

They want to give an award the tournament's top scorer. In case of a tie, they will give the award to the player with the most assists.

The bookies can pay out on whatever they like. Also, I'm sure I've seen bets which would be declared null and void if there was no outright winner before.

Villa's still a strong favourite though.

I know it's not FIFA's fault, not sure why Mike thinks it would be! :greengrin

I'm not fussy either way, I only had a quid at 8/1 which covered all my speculative bets (another 5) with 30/40 to 1+ shots, all of which I had a pound on. Still, I'd like to win but it won't be the end of the world for me. :greengrin

skipster7
11-07-2010, 12:45 PM
:agree: Everybody would have done what Suarez done, it's not like he sat and planned to do it for days beforehand. Nobody could give a **** about it now so why do a few English commentators who clearly don't understand football have to keep bringing it up?

even craig burley was at it tonight when after a good piece of play from suarez he said "we've now seen the good and bad from luis suarez"!! :confused:
Did burley not play in the Holland game where JC was playing basketball on the line ? me personally i think suarez is a great player and i was wanting him to score tonight to shut these tools up.:agree:

bingo70
11-07-2010, 01:01 PM
even craig burley was at it tonight when after a good piece of play from suarez he said "we've now seen the good and bad from luis suarez"!! :confused:
Did burley not play in the Holland game where JC was playing basketball on the line ? me personally i think suarez is a great player and i was wanting him to score tonight to shut these tools up.:agree:

In fairness Burley also criticised the booing from the crowd of Suarez as he agreed that every single player in the tournament would have done the same.

ekhibee
11-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Good game with some good goals. The Uruguay goalie would've been lucky to escape Easter Road with his life if he had played like that with a Hibs top on though:greengrin.

The thing about what Suarez done for me is if it was the other way around, and the Ghana player had used his hand, he probably would've been painted a hero. But because it was the African team who went out Suarez is a complete villian.

Anyone would've done what he done. I was wishing that he'd score tonight so he could get it right roooond the crowd again.
Totally agree. Although to be quite honest, I'm amazed some of them had the energy to boo when they spent most of their time on those bloody vuvuzelas.

seanraff07
11-07-2010, 05:34 PM

Ach i wouldn't take him for Hibs, we've got De Graaf anyway.:greengrin