PDA

View Full Version : Question Help in translation

big-mo
09-07-2010, 08:58 AM
I am looking for help with translation from English to Spanish, I hope there is someone out there that is fluent in Spanish.

I am looking for a translation of "Yes, I have heard of Hibernian, they are great Scottish football team".

I have used a couple of on-line tools but got different answers, which is more accurate?

“Sí, he oído del Hibernian, ellos son un el gran equipo de fútbol Escocés”

“Sí, he oído hablar de Hibernian, ellos soy un gran equipo de fútbol Escocés”

steviecarnie
09-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Soy means I am, so top one is more accurate.

scott7_0(Prague)
09-07-2010, 09:09 AM
I am looking for help with translation from English to Spanish, I hope there is someone out there that is fluent in Spanish.

I am looking for a translation of "Yes, I have heard of Hibernian, they are great Scottish football team".

I have used a couple of on-line tools but got different answers, which is more accurate?

I got this from google translator - http://translate.google.com

Sí, he oído hablar de Hibernian, que son gran equipo de fútbol escocés"

rebhar
09-07-2010, 09:11 AM
On google translate it came up with:

"Sí, he oído hablar de Hibernian, que son gran equipo de fútbol de Escocia"

Musselbound
09-07-2010, 09:33 AM

Sí, he oído hablar del Hibernian, es un gran equipo de fútbol escocés.

or in reponse to a question about Hibs...

¿El Hibernian sí me suena, es un gran equipo escocés?

big-mo
09-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the help :agree:

Woody1985
09-07-2010, 11:44 AM

What context are you using this in?

Presumably you're going to Spain and want to say 'Have you heard of Hibernian, they are a great Scottish football team' or are you anticipating that as a reply when you ask!

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-07-2010, 11:51 AM

There is a difference between the Spanish they speak in Spain and the Spanish spoken in countries like Argentina and other S.American countries. I am quite fluent in European Spainsh but had some funny looks other places.

big-mo
09-07-2010, 12:23 PM
There is a difference between the Spanish they speak in Spain and the Spanish spoken in countries like Argentina and other S.American countries. I am quite fluent in European Spainsh but had some funny looks other places.

It is being used in a book I am working on and it was a reply of a Spanish Spaniard.

PatHead
09-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Si, Io havo heardo Hibernian, theyo aro greato Scottishio footballo teamo- helps if you add- ando uno beero pour favore.

(I,' ready for ma hols!)

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-07-2010, 12:42 PM
It is being used in a book I am working on and it was a reply of a Spanish Spaniard.

Si, he oido hablar de Hibernian, ellos soy gran equipo de futbol escoces.

Is near enough.

Phil D. Rolls
09-07-2010, 02:57 PM
This guy came up with - "Si Hibernian habla los boobies muy grande".

http://www.womenlearnthai.com/photos-post/monty-python.jpg

Musselbound
09-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Si, he oido hablar de Hibernian, ellos soy gran equipo de futbol escoces.

Is near enough.

Near enough for you maybe but not correct.:cool2: "Ellos soy gran equipo..." reads "They I am a great team".

Trust me on this Mo. I live in Spain and have studied Spanish for 15 years. I also double checked with my Spanish girlfriend who speaks excellent English. The Spanish talk about teams in the singular so "es" (it is) rather than "son" they are.

Pretty Boy
09-07-2010, 04:27 PM

The best translation of what you want to say would be along the lines of :

'Si, he oido hablar del Hibernian, es un gran equip de futbol escoces'

Avoid using words like soy and son in this context. Automated transaltions will throw them up all the time but if you were to use them whilst speaking to a Spaniard you would more than likely get a strange look.