PDA

View Full Version : Do we need anymore?

cloudy
08-07-2010, 10:59 AM
With hart, stephens and de graaf signed do we need anymore signings or are we happy with our squad?? Personally i think we could do with a centre back or defensive mid player

Diclonius
08-07-2010, 11:03 AM
We need a more experienced centre back, and possibly another McBride-esque signing. So, basically the same as you mate. :greengrin

archiebald
We sure do-lets not kid ourselves we dont need more. :cool2:

Hibbyradge
Another left back too.

Big90inOz
Still think we need a physical presence up front who can hold the ball up and bring others into play.

If the rumour of us trying to sign Kyle are correct then we may see at least another signing to come.

Any of the .net winkers :wink: have any news ?

Hibbyradge
08-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Still think we need a physical presence up front who can hold the ball up and bring others into play.

If the rumour of us trying to sign Kyle are correct then we may see at least another signing to come.

He signed for Hearts! :faf:

Oops, I see what you're trying to say. I think. :wink:

.Sean.
08-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Another left back too.
I don't feel a left back is essental, unless Bamba leaves and Yogi wants to pair Murray with Hogg. I think Murray will stay at left back next year, plus in reserve you have both Hanlon and Stevenson plus Boothy coming through. We certanly need another centre half though.

Being greedy, i'd like another striker.

Being very greedy, i'd love us to sign a monster for midfield, a big laddie who'll scare the ***** out of opponents. A bully basically, who'll stick the boot in, get the team up for it. The kind of guy who can't do more than 2 keepie-uppies but can win the ball and give it to the guys who can play. A big, scary, dirty McBride would be ideal.

Hibbyradge
08-07-2010, 11:13 AM
I don't feel a left back is essental, unless Bamba leaves and Yogi wants to pair Murray with Hogg. I think Murray will stay at left back next year, plus in reserve you have both Hanlon and Stevenson plus Boothy coming through. We certanly need another centre half though.

Being greedy, i'd like another striker.

Being very greedy, i'd love us to sign a monster for midfield, a big laddie who'll scare the ***** out of opponents. A bully basically, who'll stick the boot in, get the team up for it. The kind of guy who can't do more than 2 keepie-uppies but can win the ball and give it to the guys who can play. A big, scary, dirty McBride would be ideal.

I'd like to see a new left back so Murray could play in the midfield.

Also, Bamba would fit your description, methinks.

Speedway
08-07-2010, 11:19 AM

Nicky Butt. :agree:

Left back, big nasty git in central mid and another striker should do it for now.

blackpoolhibs
08-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Another left back, murray was shown up towards the end of last season. He has no pace, no real ability when going forward, cant cross a decent ball, but is a 100% player, but we need better more creative players from the wide left position.

Another left sided Midfielder, and a good quality centre half, as i'd expect Bamba to be off soon.

--------
08-07-2010, 11:21 AM

We now have Zouma, Miller, McBride, De Graaf, Wotherspoon, Rankin, Stevenson and Galbraith available for midfield, mind.

I'd like to see a BIG experienced centre-back, another striker, and yes, a left-back to allow Ian M into midfield when circumstances demand. I won't be at all surprised if big Davey S doesn't figure in the first team sooner rather than later, mind. He seems to be a very mature and collected young man.

I do expect at least one, possibly two additional arrivals later into the window, but I suspect we won't hear too much until the deal's done.

That seems to be the way Rod and Yogi do business, and a very good way it is, too.

BigKev
08-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Concur with the centre half situation, maybe two if Bamba leaves. Would also agree with the poster who would like a big player in the centre of midfield as the centre looks weak unless De Graaf is earmarked for that role.

Rankin, Stevenson and McBride are all fairly neat footballers but aren't prone to throwing themselves into bone crunching tackles.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a five man midfield next season.

Speedway
08-07-2010, 11:26 AM
We now have Zouma, Miller, McBride, De Graaf, Wotherspoon, Rankin, Stevenson and Galbraith available for midfield, mind.

But Doddie, two of those don't count and one's only good for half a season so long as the pitch is nice.

We've got five mids max amongst that lot who are good enough.

Scooter
08-07-2010, 11:33 AM
yes id like to see a big striker, midfielder and defender.

cause we really havn't had any departures yet of first team material. with the rumours (a wee while ago mind) of deek, stokes, nish, bamba & zouma all potential movers. IF they left we would be short.

so an Ivan, Murphy and O'connor would finnish of the summer signings for me :agree:

Booked4Being-Ugly
08-07-2010, 11:34 AM

I'd like to see a BIG experienced centre-back, another striker, and yes, a left-back to allow Ian M into midfield when circumstances demand. I won't be at all surprised if big Davey S doesn't figure in the first team sooner rather than later, mind. He seems to be a very mature and collected young man.

I do expect at least one, possibly two additional arrivals later into the window, but I suspect we won't hear too much until the deal's done.

That seems to be the way Rod and Yogi do business, and a very good way it is, too.Or just a good one would do! :wink:

davemcbain
08-07-2010, 11:36 AM
We need to re-sign the Hibee majorettes - or whatever they were called.

Half times haven't been the same since they faded into obscurity.

Other signings dependant on who else goes.

Purehibee_MYB
08-07-2010, 11:39 AM
If we keep Stokes and Riordan... Then I'd just be happy with a Strong Midfielder/Defensive Midfielder..just for the physical presence...cos De Graaf plays RM so we are still prone in the middle.. I'm happy with the defence now, and if we keep Bamba, and don't sell anyone but Nish and Rankin I'm happy!

--------
08-07-2010, 11:39 AM
But Doddie, two of those don't count and one's only good for half a season so long as the pitch is nice.

We've got five mids max amongst that lot who are good enough.

We also have Deek playing on the left and scoring a lot of goals from midfield.

I know we differ on this, but I don't discount John Rankin as others do. I concede that Lewis has work to do, and that if he doesn't do it he could well be gone by next season. Galbraith is good, but has had injury problems. He does make a good impact sub on occasion, however.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sol B and Zouma are gone by the start of the season - hopefully for fees that will allow straight replacements to be signed quickly. I'd guess that Yogi already has thoughts about who those would be if the situation arose.

Franck is God
08-07-2010, 11:40 AM
I think it depends how Yogi wants us to play next season to how many more players are likley to arrive and the positions they play.

I personally think he'll play a 4-3-3 next season, the signings he has made so far are quick and athletic so he clearly wants to inject some much needed pace into the side. I would not be surprised to see the line up below start the game on Saturday or at very least in this shape.

Brown

Hart----Hogg----Stephens----Murray

McBride
De Graaf-----------Miller

Spoony-----------------------Riordan
Stokes

It means over the course of the season, Stokes, Nish & Byrne will challenge for the central striker position, Riordan & Galbraith for wide left of the front three and Spoony & Zemmama for the right side. Don't know why but I still see Alan Gow at Hibs next season which would also add to the forward line and provide even more competition for places.

Our back up for the midfield is weaker though, Stevenson and Rankin are decent players but for me not first choice, thought Welsh was excellent for the under 19's but has suffered from injuries and no reserve league last season to push into the first team reckoning but from what I have seen of him does have a chance to make it at a decent level. I know Boozy has been offered training facilities at Hibs and I hope that being back at ER even if its only temporary will give him the spark that he clearly needed last summer after leaving Coventry, he is the ideal sitting player for this formation.

In defence we now have Hart & fully fit Kevin McCann for right back. Hoggy, Thicot, Bamba, Hanlon & Stephens competing to play at centre half and Murray, Booth and if neede Stevenson to play at left back.

Even if no more signings arrive this squad should be more than capable of challenging for 3rd in the SPL and make an impression in both cups. Then again a lot can happen between now and the beginning of the season.....

--------
08-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Or just a good one would do! :wink:

Is there an echo in here? :cool2:

:wink:

Surely it goes without saying we don't want a Murdock. On the other hand, we now have Hart, Hogg, Bamba and Murray as the first-choice back four - plenty of experience there. I assume Bamba will leave - and I assume Yogi already knows a couple of guys he'd like to sign to replace. So I would assume that these guys will be players of a decent quality, and at least in their mid-20's, rather than younger players like DS and Paul Hanlon.

Though it's worth remembering Paul now has a season's experience behind him.

And we still have Steve Thicot on the books - handy player to have, IMO.

3pm
08-07-2010, 11:56 AM
I think we need more.

I'd be surprised if the 14 (?) who had a year left on their contract are all here come the end of the transfer window.

Booked4Being-Ugly
08-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Is there an echo in here? :cool2:

Surely it goes without saying we don't want a Murdock. On the other hand, we now have Hart, Hogg, Bamba and Murray as the first-choice back four - plenty of experience there. I assume Bamba will leave - and I assume Yogi already knows a couple of guys he'd like to sign to replace. So I would assume that these guys will be players of a decent quality, and at least in their mid-20's, rather than younger players like DS and Paul Hanlon.

Though it's worth remembering Paul now has a season's experience behind him.

And we still have Steve Thicot on the books - handy player to have, IMO.It's YOU that keeps mentioning him - a freudian slip perhaps? :wink:

I hope we keep Bamba TBH - otherwise i agree, a good, experienced CH is required IMO!

:cool2:

andrew70
08-07-2010, 12:03 PM
I think it depends how Yogi wants us to play next season to how many more players are likley to arrive and the positions they play.

I personally think he'll play a 4-3-3 next season, the signings he has made so far are quick and athletic so he clearly wants to inject some much needed pace into the side. I would not be surprised to see the line up below start the game on Saturday or at very least in this shape.

Brown

Hart----Hogg----Stephens----Murray

McBride
De Graaf-----------Miller

Spoony-----------------------Riordan
Stokes

It means over the course of the season, Stokes, Nish & Byrne will challenge for the central striker position, Riordan & Galbraith for wide left of the front three and Spoony & Zemmama for the right side. Don't know why but I still see Alan Gow at Hibs next season which would also add to the forward line and provide even more competition for places.

Our back up for the midfield is weaker though, Stevenson and Rankin are decent players but for me not first choice, thought Welsh was excellent for the under 19's but has suffered from injuries and no reserve league last season to push into the first team reckoning but from what I have seen of him does have a chance to make it at a decent level. I know Boozy has been offered training facilities at Hibs and I hope that being back at ER even if its only temporary will give him the spark that he clearly needed last summer after leaving Coventry, he is the ideal sitting player for this formation.

In defence we now have Hart & fully fit Kevin McCann for right back. Hoggy, Thicot, Bamba, Hanlon & Stephens competing to play at centre half and Murray, Booth and if neede Stevenson to play at left back.

Even if no more signings arrive this squad should be more than capable of challenging for 3rd in the SPL and make an impression in both cups. Then again a lot can happen between now and the beginning of the season.....

Are you sure about this I spoke with his brothers girlfriend last week and Boozy is currently training with Mixu at Killie.

Ritchie
08-07-2010, 12:09 PM
im quite happy with the squad.... only thing i think we are missing is a midfield hardman who can play the matty jack role. :agree:

Biffa Bacon
08-07-2010, 12:27 PM
And we still have Steve Thicot on the books - handy player to have, IMO.

How long does Thicot have left on his contract? I was always under the impression he signed a 2-year deal in 2008, so thought he would have been out of contract this summer? :confused:

Ritchie
08-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Are you sure about this I spoke with his brothers girlfriend last week and Boozy is currently training with Mixu at Killie.

your correct... he's on trial at killie.

--------
08-07-2010, 12:29 PM
How long does Thicot have left on his contract? I was always under the impression he signed a 2-year deal in 2008, so thought he would have been out of contract this summer? :confused:

He's still listed in the squad on the official site.

Has he not another year to go?

Hainan Hibs
08-07-2010, 12:32 PM
I think we still need a solid centre back, and a player who can play in the, well, Matty Jack role:greengrin so we have a bit of depth. Also a left back if we can get one because Murray unfortunately did get ripped apart a number of times last season I felt.

Diclonius
08-07-2010, 12:34 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/7525682.stm

Three year deal.

Aldo
08-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Nicky Butt. :agree:

Left back, big nasty git in central mid and another striker should do it for now.

:confused:

Theres me thinking he was going to sign for Blackpool????

Anything you would like to share with us all Speedway???:devil:

Speedway
08-07-2010, 12:57 PM
He's still listed in the squad on the official site.

Has he not another year to go?

:confused:

Theres me thinking he was going to sign for Blackpool????

Anything you would like to share with us all Speedway???:devil:

No, thank you. :wink:

heretoday
08-07-2010, 01:00 PM
The defence needs a lot of work. The more the merrier.

Andy74
08-07-2010, 01:50 PM
With Benji gone we need a striker.

We are really left with just Nish and Stokes if Riordan is wide left player, as all has manager so far seem to suggest.

I'm still not a fan of Nish overall if we really want to improve, so ideally he'd be off and we could bring in two stikers, a genuine physical presence up front who can also play a bit like Killen and a striker with pace like Sproule.

Physically we still need different options in midfield and at the back. If Stephens is ready now then great but I still amn't sure we are ready for the cold nights up North.

If we coud move Stevenson out and get a big lad with experince in instead that would be nice.

KiddA
08-07-2010, 02:27 PM
With hart, stephens and de graaf signed do we need anymore signings or are we happy with our squad?? Personally i think we could do with a centre back or defensive mid player

We need a quality centre half as Hogg is mince

Perspective
08-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Not overly confident with Murray at left-back, but he'll do until the coaching staff feel Booth's ready to take over. Not overly keen on any of the three keepers but it's not as if we're going to sign any more.

I'm assuming Bamba and Stokes will definitely go (not so sure about Riordan and Zemmama) so I think we'll need a dominant centre-back (unless Stephens is deemed ready), a ball winner or fully-fit Kevin McBride in midfield and a quick striker (presuming Leigh Griffiths is outwith our price range).

Not so obsessed with size as long as they can play, but there is a lack of pace in the team. Even with that in mind I wouldn't want Sproule back.

All in all happy with what we've got. Reading the new issue of When Saturday Comes today and articles on the crisis at Liverpool, Portsmouth etc (mever mind those closer to home) makes me think how lucky we are to have stable ownership, no debt, a modern stadium and training facility, productive youth system and a team performing reasonably well. Now all we need is a Scottish Cup...

.Sean.
08-07-2010, 02:34 PM

Can't see Murray being play in midfield and Bamba will be away.

Long suffering
08-07-2010, 02:35 PM
im quite happy with the squad.... only thing i think we are missing is a midfield hardman who can play the matty jack role. :agree:

:agree:

MacBean
08-07-2010, 04:00 PM
I would still like to see another Centre Half and Central Midfielder come in. That would be the squad completed. Of course another exciting Striker would be happily accepted but those two positions are our priority :thumbsup:

hibsdaft70
08-07-2010, 04:52 PM
I think we still need a solid centre back, and a player who can play in the, well, Matty Jack role:greengrin so we have a bit of depth. Also a left back if we can get one because Murray unfortunately did get ripped apart a number of times last season I felt.

Previous posts mentioned Thicot. I think towards the end of last season when covering for Hogg he did very well at CB. He's certainly a no-nonsense CB, he's no Sauzee but he's composed and does the simple thing very well, no big hoofs upfield like Hogg is prone to as well. Just a thought.

Hainan Hibs
08-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Previous posts mentioned Thicot. I think towards the end of last season when covering for Hogg he did very well at CB. He's certainly a no-nonsense CB, he's no Sauzee but he's composed and does the simple thing very well, no big hoofs upfield like Hogg is prone to as well. Just a thought.

Aye I've been a big fan of Thicot, looked very comfortable against the Yams and I'd be happy for him to get more of a change at ER. I think his very relaxed style might annoy a few Hibees but as you say he does the simple things well and passes well out of defence.

WhileTheChief..
08-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Stack

Hart Bamba Hanlon Murray (c)

McBride

de Graff Miller

Zemmama

Stokes Riordan

Subs - Smith, Brown, Hogg, Stephens, Rankin,Woherspoon, Galbraith, Nish

Out on loan - Flynn, S Smith, Currie, Taggart, Welsh & Byrne

Moved on - Thicot, Stevenson, McCann

Good enough starting 11 but lacking strength in depth at the moment.

I'm hoping for a new LB, 2 CH's (assuming Bamba goes) and a strong midfielder. Wouldn't say no to another stiker either making a squad with good cover in all areas.

Speedway
09-07-2010, 08:26 AM
Could we already have the big nasty midfield enforcer in our squad, perhaps?

500miles
09-07-2010, 11:15 AM
For me we need to get the young guys pushed into the first team again. I really believe Booth is going to be a fantastic player at some point in the season, so I wouldn't worry about left back too much, although, if there is quality available, that would allow Murray to switch into defensive midfield.

If we could get hold of the likes of GOC, that big presence up front, then I would also be a happy man. I've looked at the poster's who have put up thier preferred team for next year - and not one involved Nish. Have we learned nothing? You need someone with that link up play, and Nish was involved in the build up of the majority of our goals last season! As much as it's nice to have players who can produce the magic, you need to have someone like Nish, doing the simple things, setting up others, and bringing Stokes/ Zemmama/ Riordan and the likes into dangerous positions. If you want more goals out of him, you can play him higher up, and, as he showed at the end of last season, he'll get goals. Keep in mind, that he didn't just get a hat-trick and a brace at the end of last season, he also had one chopped off against rangers for no reason. Unless we can get better in his role - and there aren't many in the SPL, certainly not Kevin Kyle - then he should be involved.

What we also need is a midfielder who is ready to run at players. Zemmama does this, but is too injury prone, and if Gow makes a return, he may be just the man if we can get him a decent pre season and sort out his injuries. Wotherspoon also likes to do this, but it would be good to have a couple of players playing at once who can do this.

cloudy
09-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Maybe Thicot could play def mid role??

yekimevol
09-07-2010, 08:13 PM
what we need ?
depends who leaves but right now.

a target man up front. nish may have fired us into europe in dundee but over the course of the season he was not up to par.

A Left Midfielder yes we have derek and galbraith but hughes does not play galbraith and i would prefer to see riordan up front.

Two Big Defensive Midfielders our midfielders get pushed all about the park and with graff talking about right mid we need muscle in the middle.

A left back Ian Murray played well over the season but I would prefer to see him as one of the Defensive Midfielders and two natural ones brought in as i do not see a good enough player to play there bar him (hanlon is a center back and plays bettter there and i do not rate stevenson).

Not sure about center backs as we have a good few now with hogg, bamba, hanlon, stephens, and a few younsters.

basehibby
09-07-2010, 11:40 PM

I think you could say we are now "quorate" in that we have players who can adequately fill every position on the park - now it's all down to improving on what we've got and there's plenty of scope for doing that.

Without knowing much about the new young CB, I think you're right in that CB and DM are the main areas in need of strengthening - a good quality addition in either of these areas would make a big difference to the team although someone might have to move on to make it happen.

We're pretty well endowed up front but lack pace - if some moneybags swoops for one of our free scoring forwards then maybe that could be addressed?

A lot might depend on who's available when and at what price. Hughes seems to have a policy of striking when the iron is hot when good quality players become available/affordable and that's a policy which I'm inclined to agree with.