PDA

View Full Version : Germany Spain semi

bournehibby
07-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Going to be cracker tonight! Reckon Germany have enough in each position to beat Spain, despite their reputation for "flair football":duck:

bh

MSK
07-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Going to be cracker tonight! Reckon Germany have enough in each position to beat Spain, despite their reputation for "flair football":duck:

bhGot Spain in the work sweep ..got £10 up to now for my £5 stake ..think yer right though ...Germany are looking good ...:boo hoo:

Mon Torres...get the finger oot !!! :thumbsup:

lyonhibs
Hopefully a game that lives up to it's potential.

Germany 3-1 Spain for me.

seanraff07
I think it will be 3-1 Germany.

I hope they win.:pray:

Future17
07-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Got Spain in the work sweep ..got £10 up to now for my £5 stake ..think yer right though ...Germany are looking good ...:boo hoo:

Mon Torres...get the finger oot !!! :thumbsup:

I want Germany to win but I think Spain will sneak it - going for 1-1 at FT and 1-2 Spain AET.

Apparently Pedro will start ahead of Torres and I think that will change the way Spain play - fancy him to get 1st goal.

Hibee_Lisa
07-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Cumon Germany. :thumbsup:

Dashing Bob S
07-07-2010, 05:25 PM
One has to admire the tenancity of a nation that can claw it's way back to global eminence after those two bad defeats by Hearts, but Spain are due a proper World Cup performance and this will be it. The only way I can see Grrmany winning is if they get an early first goal and punish a pressing Spain with their pace on the counter. Otherwise I predict Spain 3-1.

Dunbar Hibee
07-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Paul the Octopus said Spain. Thats good enough for me!

MSK
07-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Paul the Octopus said Spain. Thats good enough for me!:agree:

PeeJay
07-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Think Germany will take revenge on Spain this evening. Pity Müller's not playing, but Löw will have his youngsters well prepared - this team spirit and belief is immense - Germany's had a great tournament and the guys will not falter now in the semis, when the final is beckoning.
As to Paul - octopuses ain't what they used to be, what does he know! :greengrin
Here's to a good game!
4-1 Germany!

Sir David Gray
07-07-2010, 05:57 PM
I hope the Germans win tonight, they have been, by far, the most impressive side that I have seen so far and the way that they have destroyed England and Argentina has been excellent.

In Klose and Podolski they have a great partnership up front and two proven goalscorers at international level.

Spain are probably more technically gifted, particularly in the midfield area but with the exception of Villa, I haven't been impressed at all. Torres looks particularly well off the pace and they are really carrying a passenger with him at the moment.

I'll go for 3-1 Germany.

Musselbound
07-07-2010, 06:07 PM

bh

Germany have probably developed more of a reputation for flair football than Spain as this tournament has gone on. I just feel that if Spain can score first then Germany will be facing a very different type of game for their last couple. I see it as pretty much 50/50 but I think the added expectations on the Germans shoulders might tilit it Spain's way.

Musselbound
07-07-2010, 06:09 PM
I hope the Germans win tonight, they have been, by far, the most impressive side that I have seen so far and the way that they have destroyed England and Argentina has been excellent.

In Klose and Podolski they have a great partnership up front and two proven goalscorers at international level.

Spain are probably more technically gifted, particularly in the midfield area but with the exception of Villa, I haven't been impressed at all. Torres looks particularly well off the pace and they are really carrying a passenger with him at the moment.

Totally agree but he is not starting. Iniesta on the right and Pedro on the left to support Villa apparently.

Jim44
07-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Germany to win - 3-2

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Pedro is 14s in Laddies shops for 1st scorer, only 8s on the net.

Ryan91
07-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Germany for me tonight. I'd love to see Klose get his 14th world cup goal tonight. In fact I'd like to see the Germans win the tournament as a whole.

Barney McGrew
07-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Really cagey game so far. I can't believe how deep the Germans are sitting when they don't have the ball.

It really needs a goal from someone to get things going

Musselbound
07-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Really cagey game so far. I can't believe how deep the Germans are sitting when they don't have the ball.

It really needs a goal from someone to get things going

Much as I expected so far. Was expecting a tight low scoring game.

Jim44
07-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Spain are playing the 'sexiest' football but the German 'rhythm method' might be too much for the Spaniards. I still fancy the Germans.

MWHIBBIES
07-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Good game so far just needs a goal.

Also the commentery is shocking,did you hear them just calling david villa a drink driving hun.

Betty Boop
07-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Spain are playing the 'sexiest' football but the German 'rhythm method' might be too much for the Spaniards. I still fancy the Germans.

Oh yes! :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
07-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Oh yes! :greengrin

... but so far it's all foreplay and no sign of fulfilment.

That can be so frustrating. :rolleyes:

Betty Boop
07-07-2010, 07:53 PM

:greengrin

Betty Boop
07-07-2010, 07:59 PM

See good things come to those who wait! :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
07-07-2010, 08:00 PM
1-0 spain puyol

lapsedhibee
07-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Spain score British Goal!

Good. Might shut the scornful commentators up about Spain's "pretty passing".

CropleyWasGod
07-07-2010, 08:01 PM
See good things come to those who wait! :greengrin

If in doubt, use the head. :greengrin

SteveHFC
07-07-2010, 08:02 PM
1-0 Spain :boo hoo:

YehButNoBut
07-07-2010, 08:06 PM
1-0 Spain :boo hoo:

Spain have been superb and deserve to win.

Will be good to have 2 teams in the final who have never won it. :thumbsup:

SaulGoodman
07-07-2010, 08:09 PM
If you want the definition of greed look no further than Pedro :grr:

Dunbar Hibee
07-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Looks like Paul has done it again:greengrin:thumbsup:

Onceinawhile
07-07-2010, 08:17 PM
how come Mark Lawrenson can make even the semi final of the world cup sound absolutely terrible?

lapsedhibee
07-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Spain have been superb and deserve to win.

:agree: Awesome technical skill throughout. :thumbsup:

Liam89
07-07-2010, 08:23 PM
how come Mark Lawrenson can make even the semi final of the world cup sound absolutely terrible?

He's a right tw*t isn't he.. :grr:

ballengeich
07-07-2010, 08:30 PM

Can't the sound balance be arranged so that the continual irritating background drone is drowned out by the vuvuzelas?

More seriously, what was noticeable was how few fouls were conceded. The players' close control and passing was so good that defenders weren't tempted to dive in, and the tackles that were made were usually very precise.

Jim44
07-07-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm not nit-picking, but Hansen opens his mouth and comes out with inaccurate, ill-informed nonsense............" Up comes the 'big' centre half, Puyol, and it's in the net." ................ Puyol is a 5'10" midget.

CropleyWasGod
07-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Looks like Paul has done it again:greengrin:thumbsup:

Paul was on holiday in Scotland last year. He picked up a set of bagpipes, and proceeded to wrestle with them for a few minutes.

"I didn't know you could play." said his pal.

"Play?" said Paul "I'm just trying to get its bloody knickers off!!"

Chuckie
07-07-2010, 08:33 PM
I'm gutted for Germany.

I don't get the big love in for Spain. I do not like their players. They look like they would steal the sugar oot yir tea.

How disappointing for the greatest nation on Earth to lose to a guy who looks like a roadie for Anvil.

Incidentally, how loveable is Clarence Seedorf with his big smile. I feel sorry for him stuck in the studio with those joyless goons.

Saorsa
07-07-2010, 08:41 PM
woohoo Spain :thumbsup: now win the final :pray:

Jim44
07-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Great week for Spanish 'gingers'. Winning goal for Puyol and the French Open golf championship to Miguel Angel Jimenez................Puyol's look-alike.:greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Get in, cheeky wee 10er @ 22s on the finalists!

sh00byd00
07-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Spain aren't exactly riveting to watch. they pass it around until the opposition fall asleep from boredom, then when they have put everyone to sleep, they bang a goal in.

neither Holland nor Spain have been very good throughout, yet both are strangely in the final. 'Tis been a strange wc.

lapsedhibee
07-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Spain aren't exactly riveting to watch. they pass it around until the opposition fall asleep from boredom, then when they have put everyone to sleep, they bang a goal in.

You thought watching Iniesta was boring? :confused:

sh00byd00
07-07-2010, 08:55 PM

Yup, i wouldn't have wrote what i did otherwise. i wouldn't mind if they had some end product, but other than one player, they are void of ideas come the 18 yard box.

they don't play attacking football, they just pass it about from defence to midfield.

mmmmhibby
07-07-2010, 08:57 PM

the germans were nullified by the best midfield duo on the planet. podolski and klose never got a kick. surprised me why so many people fancied germany to win. Spain all the way...viva espana!!!!

mmmmhibby
07-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Yup, i wouldn't have wrote what i did otherwise. i wouldn't mind if they had some end product, but other than one player, they are void of ideas come the 18 yard box.

they don't play attacking football, they just pass it about from defence to midfield.

they must be doing something right if they won 47 out of last 49 games. Credit were its due for me. think they will do exactly the same to holland.

heretoday
07-07-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm gutted for Germany.

I don't get the big love in for Spain. I do not like their players. They look like they would steal the sugar oot yir tea.

How disappointing for the greatest nation on Earth to lose to a guy who looks like a roadie for Anvil.

Incidentally, how loveable is Clarence Seedorf with his big smile. I feel sorry for him stuck in the studio with those joyless goons.

Seedorf is one smart bloke. He looks like Einstein compared to Hansen, whose reputation has withered in this World Cup. You could stick a Van Heusen shirt on Paul the Octopus, mike him up and he'd make more sense.

Johnny_Leith
07-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Had £20 on Spain which has just paid for some private membership :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
07-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Hate to sound an arrogant superiour type (he lied through his teeth - it's what I live and breathe for) but I called that one right in terms of the result. One sided game which could have been more. Germany's game works when they score first and play against slow, inept defences (Aust, Eng, Arg) but otherwise they look a bit ordinary.

Anyway, the good thing about this result is that it'll shut the door on any 'England losing to the eventual winners, and who's to say what might have happened had that Lampard goal been given etc etc' garbage we'd have doubtlessly been subjected to.

Musselbound
07-07-2010, 09:02 PM

neither Holland nor Spain have been very good throughout, yet both are strangely in the final. 'Tis been a strange wc.

Not that strange in that the measured approach often wins out over teams that blow hot and cold. Germany were very hot against Argentina, England and Australia but not against Serbia and they didn't offer much tonight. Spain have grown in belief and confidence as the tournament has worn on and I'd totally disagree that it was a boring performance from them tonight. The second half was a master class of passing and ball retention which was pretty close in standard to their Euro win. NL have steadily put away opponents, scored a few goals and I thought the semi last night was a good match.

Had his moments as usual but I thought Xavi was the outstanding player on the park tonight, especially second half. Casillas had a couple of important stops but in general Piqué and Puyol pretty much snuffed out any danger.

Musselbound
07-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Hate to sound an arrogant superiour type (he lied through his teeth - it's what I live and breathe for) but I called that one right in terms of the result. One sided game which could have been more. Germany's game works when they score first and play against slow, inept defences (Aust, Eng, Arg) but otherwise they look a bit ordinary.

Anyway, the good thing about this result is that it'll shut the door on any 'England losing to the eventual winners, and who's to say what might have happened had that Lampard goal been given etc etc' garbage we'd have doubtlessly been subjected to.

Exactly how I saw it too. Spain don't lose many goals and if they score first you'd back them to win every time.

Might you, if Holland win we can say we lost to the eventual winners.:greengrin

sh00byd00
07-07-2010, 09:10 PM
they must be doing something right if they won 47 out of last 49 games. Credit were its due for me. think they will do exactly the same to holland.

I was only passing comment on this tournament, which i would have assumed was fairly obvious since we're having a discussion in a WC thread?

They have been nowhere near as good as they were 2 years ago in the Euros. The great Milan side of the '80's and early '90's had the likes of Van Basten et al, but we all know they could serve up a snooze fest or two. passing football doesn't automatically mean it's exciting to watch.

Are you and others trying to say Spain have played the most exciting football during this WC? Or am i missing something here?

jdships
07-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Well done Spain !!
A masterclass in midfield play and Germany got what they deserved - nothing.
Posters talking about "boring football" should remember this was a semi final of the WORLD CUP - possibly a one off opportunity for fame and fortune for these players
Can't understand posters obsession with the "brilliance" of the Germans
As always they were well organised but lacking in flair - end of
When it came to the crunch of chasing an equaliser they had no "planB" and just ran out of ideas.
Interesting how few fouls there were and also the fact there wasn't a bad tackle in the game.

Once again last night we had Adrian Childs presenting the "amateur hour" - Holland V Uruguay :yawn:
Even with some faults the BBC are light years ahead with their presentation.

Viva Eapana

mmmmhibby
07-07-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm only passing comment on this tournament, which i would have assumed was fairly obvious since we're having a discussion in a WC thread?

They have been nowhere near as good as they were 2 years ago in the Euros. The great Milan side of the '80's and early '90's had the likes of Van Basten et al, but we all know they could serve up a snooze fest or two. passing football doesn't automatically mean it's exciting to watch.

Are you and others trying to say Spain have played the most exciting football during this WC? Or am i missing something here?

am not saying that but in the past teams most probably germany have won world cups without playing great football. My opinion is that the midfield duo of xavi and iniesta's (who have played together from the youth ranks at barca) passing and ball rentention will win it for the spanish.

PS. did u bet germany?

Musselbound
07-07-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm only passing comment on this tournament, which i would have assumed was fairly obvious since we're having a discussion in a WC thread?

No, but I do think they've got better each game and tonight were pretty close to their Euro 2008 form. The most exciting football isn't always down to quality either though is it? It can often come down to blunders, poor defending and controversy and I think we've seen enough of all that lately. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see a bit of everything but I don't think this has been a fantastic WC by any means. However, I do think that the two sides who've made the final deserve to be there.

Musselbound
07-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Well done Spain !!
A masterclass in midfield play and Germany got what they deserved - nothing.
Posters talking about "boring football" should remember this was a semi final of the WORLD CUP - possibly a one off opportunity for fame and fortune for these players
Can't understand posters obsession with the "brilliance" of the Germans
As always they were well organised but lacking in flair - end of
When it came to the crunch of chasing an equaliser they had no "planB" and just ran out of ideas.
Interesting how few fouls there were and also the fact there wasn't a bad tackle in the game.

Once again last night we had Adrian Childs presenting the "amateur hour" - Holland V Uruguay :yawn:
Even with some faults the BBC are light years ahead with their presentation.

Viva Eapana

Good point. We've seen two semi finals played in a decent spirit and virtually free of controversial/poor refereeing decisions as well. I think this tournament needed that and hope the final will be the same.

Chuckie
07-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Seedorf is one smart bloke. He looks like Einstein compared to Hansen, whose reputation has withered in this World Cup. You could stick a Van Heusen shirt on Paul the Octopus, mike him up and he'd make more sense.

I saw Seedorfs field trips in to remote areas of the country after the show. Very heart warming and noble stuff.

It then cut to Lawrenson sittting comfy in a secure tv gantry, with a ridiculous outfit on saying 'eh eh eh, I don't know much about the country but I think it's amazing what they, eh eh eh, have been through'.

That man is a testicle.

lapsedhibee
Haven't seen all the matches but tonight's display was as good as anything I've seen this WC. Every single one of the Espanish players seem to have superb ball control (Torres probably the worst, on current form) and show that all the time, throughout the game, everywhere on the pitch. Did Espain not have about ten shots on goal tonight as well, if that's what you want to see? I don't get the BBC slight sneering about 'pretty passing' - can only be jealousy that the technical skills of Spain are so far ahead of Engerlund's.

heretoday
Exactly how I saw it too. Spain don't lose many goals and if they score first you'd back them to win every time.

Might you, if Holland win we can say we lost to the eventual winners.:greengrin

And if Spain win we can say we are in the same Euro qualifying group as the world champions.

Well it's something isn't it?

sh00byd00
07-07-2010, 09:23 PM
am not saying that but in the past teams most probably germany have won world cups without playing great football. My opinion is that the midfield duo of xavi and iniesta's (who have played together from the youth ranks at barca) passing and ball rentention will win it for the spanish.

PS. did u bet germany?

i'm not saying they won't win it, they probably will because they are a far superior team to the Dutch, i'm only saying their fitba has been boring compared to others.

No i didn't have a bet on Germany i wasn't particularly bothered who progressed.

The only good games involving the Spanish have been against teams from the Americas. Chile were what made one of those games exciting to watch, not the Spanish.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-07-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm a bit bevvied, but, watch Spain whenever they receive a pass in a tight area, almost without fail the first touch takes the ball away from the opponent. simple, but, effective. They find angles for passes UK players dont even see!