PDA

View Full Version : Braid Hills Golf Course : Course #2

HibsMax
07-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Can anyone tell me what happened to course #2 at the Braids? I used to play there as a young whipper snapper, sneaking on at the 12th and skipping the 1st if there was anyone at the hut collecting green fees. LOL. I was looking at google maps to try and see the course but some of the hole I remember fondly e.g., the 3rd, don't appear on the map. Either I am looking in the wrong place on the map or the course is no longer with us, at least not in it's entirety. Are there still two courses there?

southfieldhibby
07-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Can anyone tell me what happened to course #2 at the Braids? I used to play there as a young whipper snapper, sneaking on at the 12th and skipping the 1st if there was anyone at the hut collecting green fees. LOL. I was looking at google maps to try and see the course but some of the hole I remember fondly e.g., the 3rd, don't appear on the map. Either I am looking in the wrong place on the map or the course is no longer with us, at least not in it's entirety. Are there still two courses there?

There is only one 18 hole course up there now, mostly #1 too.They hived off #2 to create a nine-holer beside american golf and developed a kids course on the other side of the road.#2 had some nice holes on it, the wee par 3 over the valley iirc.I like the braids and considering the traffic it gets, it's in pretty decent nick.

i've not played there for a year or so, joined kings acre and love it...excellent condition,friendly people and nice and quiet.

HibsMax
07-07-2010, 06:08 PM
I've never played Kings Acre but I knew a guy who was a member. This is from the mid 90s and the guy I knew was already in his 60s so I have no idea if he (Tom Lawson) is even still playing.

You are correct, the wee par 3 #3 was awesome. All there was was a tee and a green with about 150 yards of crap in between. Anything that was farther than about 5 yards off the green was a lost ball. But what a course. Cheap and cheerful. I played most of my golf there when I was a lot younger. Great views. A great course if you want to learn how to play in the wind. LOL. I recall Braids had #1 and #2 and I think they used to make it into one 18 hole course during part of the regular season. Seems like they have made that a permanent deal. I only played# 1 a couple of times. Would really love to play around next time I'm home.

Pete
07-07-2010, 09:15 PM
I've never played Kings Acre but I knew a guy who was a member. This is from the mid 90s and the guy I knew was already in his 60s so I have no idea if he (Tom Lawson) is even still playing.

You are correct, the wee par 3 #3 was awesome. All there was was a tee and a green with about 150 yards of crap in between. Anything that was farther than about 5 yards off the green was a lost ball. But what a course. Cheap and cheerful. I played most of my golf there when I was a lot younger. Great views. A great course if you want to learn how to play in the wind. LOL. I recall Braids had #1 and #2 and I think they used to make it into one 18 hole course during part of the regular season. Seems like they have made that a permanent deal. I only played# 1 a couple of times. Would really love to play around next time I'm home.

I learnt to play on braids number two as well. It taught you how to keep a ball straight when you had to...or the gorse would swallow it!

I was really young when I played there but I remember the par fours on the front nine being really short but really awkward. I used to love the fourth down to that long hole that had the wall with mortonhall behind it.
I remember the blind par three downhill where you had to aim between the high rise flats. Even if you scuffed it you would get near the green.
The there was the nightmare par four...the first one going up the hill. You always seem to be playing into the wind and reaching it in three was an achievement.

Great thread....used to love that course.:thumbsup:

HibsMax
08-07-2010, 05:27 PM
I learnt to play on braids number two as well. It taught you how to keep a ball straight when you had to...or the gorse would swallow it!

I was really young when I played there but I remember the par fours on the front nine being really short but really awkward. I used to love the fourth down to that long hole that had the wall with mortonhall behind it.
I remember the blind par three downhill where you had to aim between the high rise flats. Even if you scuffed it you would get near the green.
The there was the nightmare par four...the first one going up the hill. You always seem to be playing into the wind and reaching it in three was an achievement.

Great thread....used to love that course.:thumbsup:

I loved that course too! :D

I think your memory is a little fuzzy though, Peter because the way I recall it is:
"I used to love the fourth down to that long hole that had the wall with mortonhall behind it." -- I believe that was the 11th, if you're talking about the wall that ran down the right side of the fairway? I hit a few balls over there. ;) The way I recall the 4th was it was straight up a hill and you could only see the flag if you stood on the back of the tee and jumped. That was the hole right after the short par 3 that was all carry since there was only a tee and a green. LOL.

I do remember playing Braids #1 once, maybe twice, but since we were kids we tried to get on for free and #2 was a lot easier for that since there was rarely anyone in the starter hut. And yes, I recall that horrible first hole, up the hill. The number of times I watched as my ball trundled halfway back down again. Argh! Good times. ;)