PDA

View Full Version : Yahoooooo! THE CRAB CHUCKS IT

MB62
06-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Ticker tape news on the BBC says Barry Ferguson has confirmed to Harry Potter that he has retired from International football.

Now we can move forward (rather than sideways:wink: :greengrin)

Hibercelona
06-07-2010, 11:36 AM
How will we ever claw our way to victories now? :boo hoo:

blackpoolhibs
06-07-2010, 11:38 AM
He was banned for life, then reinstated only to snub us. When will the ********s in charge at the SFA ever learn?

allezsauzee
06-07-2010, 11:42 AM
He was banned for life, then reinstated only to snub us. When will the ********s in charge at the SFA ever learn?

My guess is never i'm afraid to say :rolleyes:

MyJo
06-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Good :thumbsup:

Nows the time for Levein to clear out the old guard from the scotland set up and start blooding the younger generation and build a squad capable of qualifying for the major tournaments.

Pretty Boy
06-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Good player but given that Levein has just taken over and there are a few decent young players comng through i think this is probably the best decision for all concerned.

hibee4life1983
06-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Leveins a door handle, imo he will just try and get all the old heids back.
It annoys me that a big huddie like him even had the auidacity to try and get him back in a scotland jersey.

All theese guys have had there chance and failed, france 98' being the last time we we're in a major international comp.
All the youngsters need a shot or there will not be a scotland team at euro 2012.

HibeeB
06-07-2010, 02:34 PM
How will we ever claw our way to victories now? :boo hoo:

I know.

Shellfish b******.

Ritchie
06-07-2010, 03:11 PM
About the right time but I still think he got a hard time from alot of people. We would have definitely been a stronger team had he been in the squad with Boyd.

rubbish... he did NOTHING for scotland

deed.

jdships
06-07-2010, 03:18 PM
It annoys me that a big huddie like him even had the auidacity to try and get him back in a scotland jersey.

All theese guys have had there chance and failed, france 98' being the last time we we're in a major international comp.
All the youngsters need a shot or there will not be a scotland team at euro 2012.

:thumbsup:
Spot on IMO !!
I have grave doubts about CL's ability to build a winning Scottish team.
OK there is a dearth of genuine talent but to "be disappointed" at Barry the Crab's retirement says a lot about Levein.
Too may of the current squad have had chance after chance and are now in the "tried and found guilty " category - lets move on :rolleyes:.
Your highlighted quote I agree totally with :top marks

Woody1985
06-07-2010, 03:20 PM

I criticise them as much as most Scottish football fans but was this not Levein that persuaded them that he wanted a clean slate with all players available and therefore not to blame? Or would you rather that the SFA tell the boss who he can and can't pick?

It should have been down to Levein to say that he doesn't want him back anyway and give new players the chance.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Decent enough player but his day is gone, and Levein has just looked a bit of an erse by trying to woo him back.

blackpoolhibs
06-07-2010, 03:27 PM
I criticise them as much as most Scottish football fans but was this not Levein that persuaded them that he wanted a clean slate with all players available and therefore not to blame? Or would you rather that the SFA tell the boss who he can and can't pick?

It should have been down to Levein to say that he doesn't want him back anyway and give new players the chance.

It made no difference to me who wanted him and that other welt back, they were banned for life, and that imho should be that. Again imho i dont want to see Boyd back either, i hope that turd walks away too, and makes Levein look stupid for asking him. Perhaps then, those in charge will grow a set, and stick to what they do in future.

H1B33 1875
06-07-2010, 03:37 PM
I agree that youngsters should be given a shot - just out of interest what team would everyone pick?

H18sry
06-07-2010, 03:43 PM

The nucleus of the Scotland team is there, here is a post on an earlier thread re our new team :wink:

The Qualifiers for 2012 EURO'S start in September, and Scotland are on the up, Harry Potter should get rid of the old guard, and rely on the new younger up and coming players, we have a decent squad when all fit.

Goalkeepers, Gordon,McGregor and Marshall, at right back we have Hutton,Whitty, and clubfoot, center backs are a bit of a problem tho, where We have both Caldwells, Berra,McManus,Webster and Barr, left back we have Wallace,Fox and Dixon[at a push] but Whitty can also play there, in midfield we have a lot of players who can play right/center, Brown,Dorrans,Fletcher [D],Thomshun,McCormack,Rae and Naismith, left/center we have Faddy,Maloney,Commons,Adam,Robson and Riordan and up front Fletcher[S], Boyd,Miller,O'Connor and Snodgrass.

So we do have a young squad that can be built into a team that will be hard to beat, if the manager play's them together as a team, in a few games to get them playing like they know each other in stead of chopping and changing.

For me the team I would like to see play against Sweden in the August friendly is the team we should start with in the 1st qualifier in September is

Gordon

Hutton
Berra
Webster
Wallace

Brown
Fletcher D
Thomshun
McFadden

Fletcher [S]
Boyd

If we can start with a team like this, and build team spirit we can go on and play together for the next 6 or so years, as most of these players are still in there mid 20's

Discuss

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?186192-Growing-a-football-team&p=2501952&highlight=#post2501952

Hibstrooper
06-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Gordon

Hutton
Berra
Webster
Wallace

Brown
Fletcher D
Thomshun
McFadden

Fletcher [S]
Boyd

If we can start with a team like this, and build team spirit we can go on and play together for the next 6 or so years, as most of these players are still in there mid 20's

Discuss

I'd have Dorrans in - he's the most skillful player we have. I'd go with something like:

Gordon

Hutton
Berra
Caldwell
Wallace

Brown
D. Fletcher
Dorrans

McFadden
S. Fletcher

Boyd

With the 4-5-1 (4-3-3) formation that is so popular these days.

.Sean.
06-07-2010, 04:12 PM
I'd have Dorrans in - he's the most skillful player we have. I'd go with something like:

Gordon

Hutton
Berra
Caldwell
Wallace

Brown
D. Fletcher
Dorrans

McFadden
S. Fletcher

Boyd

Pains me to say it but if he's fit that Hun cant Thomson would be one of my first picks.

Jim44
06-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Some will disagree no doubt, but I think Levein's 'wiping the slate clean' was a show of disrespect to Burley and his background team and an attempt to feather his own insecure nest. He was five minutes in the door and he was touting for the return of the selfish barstewards. I cringe everytime I see the pics of Ferguson and McGregor and can't believe Levein's lack of judgement in this situation. I'm delighted at today's news.

Hainan Hibs
06-07-2010, 04:17 PM
I would told Fergushun where to shove it when his billy big time attitude came out, pish like "Well I still have to decide, I'll have a think". I'd do anything to wear that dark blue and to have Noel Hunts like him think they are too big time charlie for it?:grr: Makes my blood boil and I'm glad he has retired for good.

My team would be

Gordon

Hutton Caldwell Berra Whittaker

Brown Fletcher Thomson

Dorrans........................McFadden

Fletcher

4-5-1 with Dorrans and Faddy bombing up the wings. If we need a bit of presence then Boyd can be the one up front.

MyJo
06-07-2010, 04:18 PM
I would told Fergushun where to shove it when his billy big time attitude came out, pish like "Well I still have to decide, I'll have a think". I'd do anything to wear that dark blue and to have Noel Hunts like him think they are too big time charlie for it?:grr: Makes my blood boil and I'm glad he has retired for good.

My team would be

Gordon

Brown Fletcher Thomson

Fletcher

4-5-1 with Dorrans and Faddy bombing up the wings. If we need a bit of presence then Boyd can be the one up front.

I like the look of that team :agree:

Carrick Hibs
06-07-2010, 04:26 PM

I would pick that side but with Charlie Adam ahead of Thomson.

H18sry
06-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Pains me to say it but if he's fit that Hun cant Thomson would be one of my first picks.

Gordon

Hutton
Berra
Caldwell
Wallace
Brown
D. Fletcher
Dorrans

McFadden
S. Fletcher

Boyd

My team would be

Gordon

Brown Fletcher Thomson

Fletcher

Caldwell has had surgery and is not expected to be fit untill Oct/Nov, thats why I omitted him from my team selection :wink:

bod
06-07-2010, 05:59 PM
sad to see anybody say no to Scotland,He could have just told Levein not to pick him unless were struggling with injuries or suspensions cos i think its time to build a younger team & give them experience so weve got a settled 11 when the harder games comes

Phil D. Rolls
06-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Some will disagree no doubt, but I think Levein's 'wiping the slate clean' was a show of disrespect to Burley and his background team and an attempt to feather his own insecure nest. He was five minutes in the door and he was touting for the return of the selfish barstewards. I cringe everytime I see the pics of Ferguson and McGregor and can't believe Levein's lack of judgement in this situation. I'm delighted at today's news.

Good riddance to one of the most over rated players in the history of the Scottish game. Our years without qualifying for a tournament can quite rightly be called "The Ferguson Years".

SmokieJoe
06-07-2010, 06:13 PM

Perhaps he just wanted to lay the knuckle scrapin' gnaff's ghost to rest so the team can move forward with a clean slate, and if things don't go well then no one, not even the SFA/Rangers/dodgy handshake club cant complain!

jacomo
06-07-2010, 06:37 PM
If the new, more mature Brummie Barry Ferguson was available, he'd be an asset to the Scotland team. However, you just know that as soon as he pulled the dark blue jersey on he'd be strutting like a peacock again, wandering all over the field instead of sitting in front of the defence and just doing his job.

But does anyone seriously think Katie will do any better?

Defensive midfield a bit of a problem position for Scotland I think.

SmokieJoe
06-07-2010, 06:57 PM
If the new, more mature Brummie Barry Ferguson was available, he'd be an asset to the Scotland team. However, you just know that as soon as he pulled the dark blue jersey on he'd be strutting like a peacock again, wandering all over the field instead of sitting in front of the defence and just doing his job.

But does anyone seriously think Katie will do any better?

Defensive midfield a bit of a problem position for Scotland I think.

If we got another more progressive left back, and IM has a good run at the holding/sitting role in mid, who knows maybe Levein wouldn't have to look far?

DH1875
06-07-2010, 07:42 PM
I think that we should look forward to the future as we have the makings of a good squad being together for the next couple of tournaments. I'd go for the 4-2-3-1 formation and it would look something like this;

GK: Gordon.

LB: Wallace.
CB: Webster.
CB: Caldwell.
RB: Hutton.

DM: Brown.
DM: Thomson.

LAM: Riordan.
CAM: Fletcher.
RAM: McFadden.

ST: Fletcher.

Throw in a bench made up from the following and it's all good.

McGregor.
Whittaker.
Caddis.
Kenneth.
Berra.
McArthur.
Adam.
Dorrans.
Morrison.
Commons.
McCormack.
Boyd.
K. Miller.
O'Connor.

Also hope players like Hanlon and spoony make the grade along with some of the Dundee Utd boys in the next 3-4 years.

Saorsa
06-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Cheerio :bye: ya prick

col02
06-07-2010, 08:07 PM
I do not see why Levein is taking so much flak tbh. He obviously wanted as big a pool of players to pick from as possible and while Ferguson might not be popular with many Hibs fans if he was playing to good form with Birmingham then surely he would have been a decent option to have been able to call upon. Do not let the fact that Levein had Hearts connections while Ferguson had Rangers connections get in the way of having a pop though!

heretoday
06-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Seeing him again on the news tonight doing his V-sign act, I was reminded what an unpleasant little so-and-so he is.

Bostonhibby
06-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Vile little thug, just a pity Levein didn't / couldnae tell him Scotland didn't want him first.

SmokieJoe
06-07-2010, 10:30 PM
I do not see why Levein is taking so much flak tbh. He obviously wanted as big a pool of players to pick from as possible and while Ferguson might not be popular with many Hibs fans if he was playing to good form with Birmingham then surely he would have been a decent option to have been able to call upon. Do not let the fact that Levein had Hearts connections while Ferguson had Rangers connections get in the way of having a pop though!

The snipers will be out for me again no doubt, Levein will hopefully play with a straight bat when picking his teams, he has admired the Hibernian products that have moved on since, he did ***** at Leicester, and we all had a chuckle at that after his stint with the yams. At Dundee Utd, he showed he could manage a club with no real big transfer spendings, and lets face it scotlands players aren't world beaters, but hopefully he can do a similar job with the national squad as he did with the Arabs.

basehibby
07-07-2010, 01:01 AM

:agree: Levein had every right to look to put out the strongest Scotland team at his disposal and with Fudley Barryson's impressive performances with Brum City in the EPL I don't blame Levein for giving him the chance to make amends. The fact that the arrogant wee fud has turned him down though, just underlines the scant respect this so called captain has for his country. Better off without him? Maybe not in the short term, but his absence will free up a space to be competed for and won by younger more hungry players who hopefully have a better appreciation of what it means to represent your country.

bighairyfaeleith
07-07-2010, 05:50 AM
the crab is a little ****. I don't see why levein should have wanted to pick him, he clearly wasn't sorry for what he had done, and that was to disrespect his national team. Levein should have shown a pair of balls rather than allow himself to be influenced by the sfa!!

Barney McGrew
07-07-2010, 06:23 AM
If the new, more mature Brummie Barry Ferguson was available, he'd be an asset to the Scotland team. However, you just know that as soon as he pulled the dark blue jersey on he'd be strutting like a peacock again, wandering all over the field instead of sitting in front of the defence and just doing his job

:agree:

If anyone thinks that a guy who's been a mainstay of an EPL team and getting rave reviews for it wouldn't be a good player to have in our squad under normal circumstances then they'd be be mad. He's always been a very good player, and when we went on the good run under McLeish and Smith he was integral to that.

The form he's shown recently may well be down to him now being a wee fish in a big pond, rather than the big fish in a wee pond he was up here - at Birmingham he just has to get on with playing his game rather than having huge expectation put on him. If he could have done his job, while not wanting to take every free kick/corner/throw in then he'd have been an asset to the squad.

He's made his decision now though, so it's time to move on.

PaulSmith
07-07-2010, 06:24 AM
I tell you what we must have some fantastic players that I've yet to see if we think that we can ignore a player of Ferguson's calibre who walks through EPL games.

It kinda sums up the mentality of Scottish football fans that we deride a player for actually keeping ball and passing it to his nearest team mate rather that running about like a mad man who thumps his chest and chases shadows for 90 mins. Unless this mentality changes then we'll continue to watch Euro Champs and WC's on our sofa's cheering on "anyone but England".

The stuff at Loch Lomand and Hampden, really are some really that stupid to believe the Sun or the Record in that he was doing the V sign to the people of Scotland and not to the actual papers? Seems like some on here are quite happy to forgive and forget anything that a Hibs player does but not an ex Rangers player for something that on the face of it is pretty trivial.

bighairyfaeleith
07-07-2010, 06:29 AM
I tell you what we must have some fantastic players that I've yet to see if we think that we can ignore a player of Ferguson's calibre who walks through EPL games.

It kinda sums up the mentality of Scottish football fans that we deride a player for actually keeping ball and passing it to his nearest team mate rather that running about like a mad man who thumps his chest and chases shadows for 90 mins. Unless this mentality changes then we'll continue to watch Euro Champs and WC's on our sofa's cheering on "anyone but England".

The stuff at Loch Lomand and Hampden, really are some really that stupid to believe the Sun or the Record in that he was doing the V sign to the people of Scotland and not to the actual papers? Seems like some on here are quite happy to forgive and forget anything that a Hibs player does but not an ex Rangers player for something that on the face of it is pretty trivial.

aye I must be that stupid. Barry big baws has for a long time thought he was bigger than the national team and only really turned up when uncle walter was manager, have you forgotten all the games he was mysteriously injured a couple days before?

The fingers incident was just the final straw for me. The biggest problem with the scotland squad is we continually pick players who don't give a flying **** about the team, this sends out the wrong message to the younger players who before long follow suit and treat the national team in the same way. Ditch the bums and let the young hungry boys go for it, we might get beat beat but at least we'll try!!

Saorsa
07-07-2010, 06:35 AM
aye I must be that stupid. Barry big baws has for a long time thought he was bigger than the national team and only really turned up when uncle walter was manager, have you forgotten all the games he was mysteriously injured a couple days before?

The fingers incident was just the final straw for me. The biggest problem with the scotland squad is we continually pick players who don't give a flying **** about the team, this sends out the wrong message to the younger players who before long follow suit and treat the national team in the same way. Ditch the bums and let the young hungry boys go for it, we might get beat beat but at least we'll try!!:top marks

Aye just another old squirm player that turned up when it suited and mysteriously injured when it didnae suit, then was suddenly fit enough tae play for his club next game out

PaulSmith
07-07-2010, 07:04 AM

The fingers incident was just the final straw for me. The biggest problem with the scotland squad is we continually pick players who don't give a flying **** about the team, this sends out the wrong message to the younger players who before long follow suit and treat the national team in the same way. Ditch the bums and let the young hungry boys go for it, we might get beat beat but at least we'll try!!

Why pick on just Ferguson, players at high profile clubs have been shunning meaningless friendlies for decades as do most of the other high profile players that play for their country.

John Collins was exactly the same...how do you view his international career? Maybe a little different as he was an ex Hibs player and hero?

bighairyfaeleith
07-07-2010, 07:08 AM
Why pick on just Ferguson, players at high profile clubs have been shunning meaningless friendlies for decades as do most of the other high profile players that play for their country.

John Collins was exactly the same...how do you view his international career? Maybe a little different as he was an ex Hibs player and hero?

Got to start somewhere, and the simple fact is that rangers players have been far more prolific when it comes to shunning scotland than players from any other club. No player and I mean no player should be exempt whne they get picked for scotland!!!

No I wouldn't excuse JC if he had done this, I don't recall it but if he did then he should have been dropped as well!!

We need to start somewhere though and levein had a great opportunity to make an impression with ferguson and he bottled it!!

PaulSmith
07-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Got to start somewhere, and the simple fact is that rangers players have been far more prolific when it comes to shunning scotland than players from any other club. No player and I mean no player should be exempt whne they get picked for scotland!!!

No I wouldn't excuse JC if he had done this, I don't recall it but if he did then he should have been dropped as well!!

We need to start somewhere though and levein had a great opportunity to make an impression with ferguson and he bottled it!!

Rangers players are more proflific as they and Celtic supply the majority of players. Unfortunately the big clubs (all around Europe) do put pressure on their players not to play in meaningless friendlies, and to be fair if I was playing £30k a week for a player I wouldn't want him to be sidelined for weeks if he could even have the slightest chance of making a nuisence injury worse. International football and the romantic notion that its the be all and end all is dying, how can we say otherwise when Germany will have 2 Poles, a Ghanian, a Brazillian and a Turkish national playing for them tonight?

I don't think that Levein has ever bottled a decison in his life, in fact I think by going against some of the more vocal TA he showed great bottle in asking Ferguson and McGregor back into the fold.

bighairyfaeleith
07-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Rangers players are more proflific as they and Celtic supply the majority of players. Unfortunately the big clubs (all around Europe) do put pressure on their players not to play in meaningless friendlies, and to be fair if I was playing £30k a week for a player I wouldn't want him to be sidelined for weeks if he could even have the slightest chance of making a nuisence injury worse. International football and the romantic notion that its the be all and end all is dying, how can we say otherwise when Germany will have 2 Poles, a Ghanian, a Brazillian and a Turkish national playing for them tonight?

I don't think that Levein has ever bottled a decison in his life, in fact I think by going against some of the more vocal TA he showed great bottle in asking Ferguson and McGregor back into the fold.

So what you're saying is that

1. Expensive players can pick and choose games
2. Expensive players can behave any way they want

Thats an interesting strategy

marinello59
07-07-2010, 08:32 AM

When it comes to International football that probably isn't far away from the reality of things. Not saying it's right, that's just player power in action.

New Corrie
07-07-2010, 08:56 AM
I can't believe that people think that he was giving a V sign to the Scottish people:confused:

Even more strange, is people thinking that Craig Levein is some sort of SFA puppet!!! Not a chance, Yam fud...yes, but in his defence, he is most certainly his own man, and he'll be the judge of what he thinks is best for the National team....nobody else!

bighairyfaeleith
07-07-2010, 09:05 AM
I can't believe that people think that he was giving a V sign to the Scottish people:confused:

Even more strange, is people thinking that Craig Levein is some sort of SFA puppet!!! Not a chance, Yam fud...yes, but in his defence, he is most certainly his own man, and he'll be the judge of what he thinks is best for the National team....nobody else!

can't believe your standing up for a hun :greengrin

PaulSmith
07-07-2010, 09:47 AM

1. To a certain extent there is probably a gentleman's agreement to that effect between the top clubs and national associations.
2. No, there will be a line but put it another way would Hibs have ripped up Stokes contract in the way that they did with McCormack's...no because Stokes is an expensive and valued player. The same way in that a national association wouldn't bin a Wayne Rooney or a Ronaldo but would bin a Darren Bent or Pedro Mendes as they are replaceable.

It's not a strategy but modern man management in football

Barney McGrew
07-07-2010, 10:40 AM

Ryan Giggs did it for Wales his entire international career.

bighairyfaeleith
07-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Ryan Giggs did it for Wales his entire international career.

Doesn't make it right though

Barney McGrew
07-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Doesn't make it right though

I didn't say it was.

Darren Fletcher, Alan Hutton and Scott Brown all pulled out going to Japan at the last minute with dubious excuses.

Maybe we should punt all them from future squads too?

The fact is, for some people (and I'm not suggesting you're one of them) their judgment on Ferguson is clouded by the fact he's a hun. Whatever way you look at it, Ferguson is one of the best players Scotland have produced in recent history, and we're not a big enough country not to miss someone of his calibre.

bighairyfaeleith
07-07-2010, 11:36 AM
I didn't say it was.

Darren Fletcher, Alan Hutton and Scott Brown all pulled out going to Japan at the last minute with dubious excuses.

Maybe we should punt all them from future squads too?

The fact is, for some people (and I'm not suggesting you're one of them) their judgment on Ferguson is clouded by the fact he's a hun. Whatever way you look at it, Ferguson is one of the best players Scotland have produced in recent history, and we're not a big enough country not to miss someone of his calibre.

If they are shown not to be injured then yes why not. I reckon the sfa should get to have there own doctor checkout any players withdrawing with injuries. If a club has a genuine concern about a player playing in a nonsense friendly before a big game they should come out and say so, not lie and not get a player to lie either.

We all know it goes on, my point is I want a team of players who value the cap

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
07-07-2010, 11:41 AM
rubbish... he did NOTHING for scotland

deed.

Interesting to compare this thread with another one doing the rounds just now about why Scottish/English football is so inferior to European.

In my opinion, slagging off a midfield player for, shock horror, keeping the ball sums up our attitude to football - if its not going forward we are not interested. Fergusons job is to keep the ball moving, a deep lying playmaker, not to play defence splitting passes.

Every team should have a 'crab' in their midfield - look at Spain, they have loads - Alonso is constantly switching the ball from side to side. And Xavi plays loads of 'pointless' sideways passes.

Franck is God
07-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Ferguson would have been a good player to be able to call up, loads of experience and playing at a high level, while he was in the SPL with Rangers I would have argued that he was no better an option that KT or Stewart or another defensive midfielder of similar quality however last season he was outstanding for Birmingham and any player performing so well should be considered.

I had heard that one of the reasons that Birmingham signed him was on the understanding that his international career was over, they were happy to take a player in his 30s with the knowledge that he'd be able to rest during international breaks not disappear all over Europe with Scotland.

Anyway he is out now and thankfully it is an area of the pitch we have a number of extremely good quality alternatives.

My first choice Scotland team would be,

Gordon

Whittaker---Webster---Berra---Wallace

D Fletcher--Thomson

Dorrans-----Brown-----McFadden

Fletch

sh00byd00
07-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Shenanigans aside, i'd rather have Ferguson in the team, whom can actually find a team mate with a pass, than some erse who simply punts it up the park because there's an opposition player within 20 metres of him and the ball.

Too many of our players past/present have/do resort to this type of ***** that having a player like Ferguson is a luxury. A player that can actually keep possession isn't a bad thing, even if it does mean he has to pass it sideways.

that's the problem with our fans, we want to play pretty attacking football, but when that involves slow methodical passing, rather than booting it down the wings or up the park at the first opportunity we all moan.

sh00byd00
07-07-2010, 01:23 PM
the crab is a little ****. I don't see why levein should have wanted to pick him, he clearly wasn't sorry for what he had done, and that was to disrespect his national team. Levein should have shown a pair of balls rather than allow himself to be influenced by the sfa!!

Yeah, heaven forbid that the football association or a manager should persevere or give a player a second chance, huh?

Had Hibs applied your logic, i very much doubt we'd have seen Deeks back playing for us. all his moaning, drinking exploits, letting his contract run down etc shows sometimes it's better just to meet players halfway rather than sticking with the initial knee jerk reaction.

bighairyfaeleith
07-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Yeah, heaven forbid that the football association or a manager should persevere or give a player a second chance, huh?

Had Hibs applied your logic, i very much doubt we'd have seen Deeks back playing for us. all his moaning, drinking exploits, letting his contract run down etc shows sometimes it's better just to meet players halfway rather than sticking with the initial knee jerk reaction.

The difference is that ferguson just waited till burley was sacked and then strolled back in.

Baldy Foghorn
07-07-2010, 01:53 PM
How do all the people feel, who stated they hated Thomson for the way he left us, now that he is likely to be a mainstay in the Scotland set up??

One I the reasons I never follow International football.....

Pretty Boy
07-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Interesting to compare this thread with another one doing the rounds just now about why Scottish/English football is so inferior to European.

In my opinion, slagging off a midfield player for, shock horror, keeping the ball sums up our attitude to football - if its not going forward we are not interested. Fergusons job is to keep the ball moving, a deep lying playmaker, not to play defence splitting passes.

Every team should have a 'crab' in their midfield - look at Spain, they have loads - Alonso is constantly switching the ball from side to side. And Xavi plays loads of 'pointless' sideways passes.

:agree:

Pretty much sums it up for me. British fans always complain when a player plays a simple pass sideways to retain possesion to allow an opportunity to develop. Always baffles me.

It wasn't as though Ferguson had top class strikers and attacking midfielders making brilliant runs in front of him and he was choosing not to use them. What he actually had to worki with was Kenny Miller doing his headless chicken act up front and that was about it.

Beckenbauer summed it up perfectly when he said England had reverted back to kick and rush, it would not surprise me one bit if Scotland attempt to play the same way under Levein and as long as the players show a bit of fight the fans will happily accept it. No quality required.