PDA

View Full Version : Who Won the World Cup

Phil D. Rolls
06-07-2010, 10:45 AM
I must have done a Rip van Winkle. A couple of weeks ago, all the adverts on TV, all the news bulletins, not to mention three or four dedicated programmes a day were telling all I needed to know about the World Cup.

Now there's not a cheep! I can only assume I fell asleep and missed the end of the tournament. I realise England must have been finalists, but who did they play and what was the result.

How long have I been unconcsious? I would have thought that even if they were runners up they'd still be banging on about it, organising "victory parades throughout the civilised world, and knighting all the broadcasters who predicted a great tournament for the three lions.

I bet Holland and Germany came nowhere. :dunno:

.Sean.
06-07-2010, 11:17 AM
I must have done a Rip van Winkle. A couple of weeks ago, all the adverts on TV, all the news bulletins, not to mention three or four dedicated programmes a day were telling all I needed to know about the World Cup.

Now there's not a cheep! I can only assume I fell asleep and missed the end of the tournament. I realise England must have been finalists, but who did they play and what was the result.

How long have I been unconcsious? I would have thought that even if they were runners up they'd still be banging on about it, organising "victory parades throughout the civilised world, and knighting all the broadcasters who predicted a great tournament for the three lions.

I've not watched any WC since the England Slovenia game, though the pundits were jizzing themselves at how well the English performed, so i'm assuming they pumped the Germans 4 or 5 nil and have sailed into tonights semi?

Phil D. Rolls
06-07-2010, 11:20 AM
I've not watched any WC since the England Slovenia game, though the pundits were jizzing themselves at how well the English performed, so i'm assuming they pumped the Germans 4 or 5 nil and have sailed into tonights semi?

What??? The semi is tonight??? Your pulling my chain!!! Why I oughta. :grr:

Diclonius
06-07-2010, 11:22 AM
How many goals has Wayne Rooney scored in the World Cup again? I'm aware it's on a par with George Best, so he must be as good if not better. :agree:

Hibercelona
06-07-2010, 11:30 AM
What??? The semi is tonight??? Your pulling my chain!!! Why I oughta. :grr:

I fear they're going to go all the way!

We will never hear the end of it. :boo hoo:

hibernia_inn
06-07-2010, 11:44 AM

Where have you guys been........Germany beat Engerlund 4-2 in the last sixteen

Danderhall Hibs
06-07-2010, 11:48 AM
How many goals has Wayne Rooney scored in the World Cup again? I'm aware it's on a par with George Best, so he must be as good if not better. :agree:

I think he scored the same number of goals as Messi?

gilliecabbage
06-07-2010, 11:54 AM

:fishin: caught a shark

CropleyWasGod
06-07-2010, 11:56 AM

I must have nodded off and missed the second England goal.

Did they score it after Germany went into the showers?

CropleyWasGod
06-07-2010, 11:56 AM

In less games, too. That is awesome :agree:

seanraff07
06-07-2010, 11:57 AM

Nah Rooney and Messi were equal going into the QF between England and Argentina but Rooney bagged a hat-rick when England strolled into the Semis.

Sandy
06-07-2010, 11:58 AM

Hearts 1st 11 v Hearts B team, I think Hearts just edged it, or am I thinking about the Crimea ? :dunno:

Woody1985
06-07-2010, 11:58 AM

:tee hee:

Borders Hibby
06-07-2010, 12:05 PM

Nah they must be out, debate on the radio today about the english ref doing the final.:wink:

--------
06-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Tesco are selling a DVD "England's Road to South Africa" - you'll find it among the remainders, price reduced to £4 - wait a few days and the'll be giving them away free with a pound of sour grapes. :devil:

It's just the bias of the referees and the nasty foreign press that sabotaged their triumphal prgress to the final, of course.

Borders Hibby
06-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Tesco are selling a DVD "England's Road to South Africa" - you'll find it among the remainders, price reduced to £4 - wait a few days and the'll be giving them away free with a pound of sour grapes. :devil:

It's just the bias of the referees and the nasty foreign press that sabotaged their triumphal prgress to the final, of course.

They probably got back just about the same time the grapes arrived from cape!

--------
06-07-2010, 12:15 PM
They probably got back just about the same time the grapes arrived from cape!

I heard that Wayne had to get home in time for his celebrity appearance on "Monkey World". :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
06-07-2010, 12:21 PM
I bet Capello is in for an honorary knighthood.

Borders Hibby
06-07-2010, 12:26 PM

Only if that power has been devolved to the Scottish Parliament.:greengrin

--------
06-07-2010, 12:26 PM

There's certainly something coming his way. :devil:

stu in nottingham
06-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Keep up chaps.

They did win it. Geoff Hurst scored a hat-trick and Martin Peters another in a 4-2 win over West Germany.

I think they mentioned it in passing, on the TV.

Danderhall Hibs
06-07-2010, 01:02 PM

:agree: It was in less games - the goals per game ratio despite this is remarkably still the same for both though.

They're obviously rubbish. :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
06-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Heard Hearts shaded the 14-18 against Germany, but how did they do in the 39-45? And why was it one world war lasted four years and the other five? Was this a FIFA change in the rules or just an opportunity for broadcasters to make more money?

Dan Sarf
06-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Keep up chaps.

They did win it. Geoff Hurst scored a hat-trick and Martin Peters another in a 4-2 win over West Germany.

I think they mentioned it in passing, on the TV.

No! When did this happen? Are there any clips? :confused:

stu in nottingham
06-07-2010, 01:20 PM
No! When did this happen? Are there any clips? :confused:

'Fraid so mate.

No clips but there are some excellent stone carvings of the day.

It's probably a good job they're not the sort of folks to go on about it much!

Ross4356
06-07-2010, 01:24 PM

I you did :wink:

Dan Sarf
06-07-2010, 01:43 PM
'Fraid so mate.

No clips but there are some excellent stone carvings of the day.

It's probably a good job they're not the sort of folks to go on about it much!

Yabba dabba do! :thumbsup:

--------
06-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Heard Hearts shaded the 14-18 against Germany, but how did they do in the 39-45? And why was it one world war lasted four years and the other five? Was this a FIFA change in the rules or just an opportunity for broadcasters to make more money?

WW2 was tied at full-time - went to extra-time and penalties, Bob.

hibernia_inn
06-07-2010, 10:46 PM

:tee hee:........the irony was in the 4-2 scoreline :spammy:

hibernia_inn
06-07-2010, 10:47 PM
I you did :wink:

Don't think he did:cool2:

Betty Boop
08-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Howard Webb is to referee the World Cup Final. :greengrin

lapsedhibee
08-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Howard Webb is to referee the World Cup Final. :greengrinOnly fair, since he refs in the best league in the world. :agree:

Danderhall Hibs
09-07-2010, 06:11 AM
Only fair, since he refs in the best league in the world. :agree:

:agree: It's between them and La Liga and as Spain are in the Final the Spanish guy wouldn't be allowed to ref it.

MrHibs1982
09-07-2010, 12:24 PM
:agree: It's between them and La Liga and as Spain are in the Final the Spanish guy wouldn't be allowed to ref it.

What about Ze German league :confused:

Also with regards to Wooney, he had to get home to his caravan...he put the kettle on to boil for a pot noodle before he left for SA, it wouldve just boiled before he got back :na na:

Scorrie
09-07-2010, 05:10 PM
[QUOTE=Doddie;2507906]Tesco are selling a DVD "England's Road to South Africa" - you'll find it among the remainders, price reduced to £4 - wait a few days and the'll be giving them away free with a pound of sour grapes. :devil:

Alongside "fingers crossed" kit kats, "believe" Mars bars, and "for England" Carlsberg...

Danderhall Hibs
10-07-2010, 07:59 AM
What about Ze German league :confused:

What about it?