PDA

View Full Version : CS Gas incident at Easter Road

jgl07
05-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Can anyone post a link for a news report on this incident?

MSK
05-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Can anyone post a link for a news report on this incident?Best i could find ..

panshibby
05-07-2010, 08:07 AM
try this link

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ewG4dtKAYgw/SSFilO1_mzI/AAAAAAAAANQ/Z_lLSrWpar8/s1600-h/2w1xjz6.jpg

Borders Hibby
05-07-2010, 08:26 AM
try this link

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ewG4dtKAYgw/SSFilO1_mzI/AAAAAAAAANQ/Z_lLSrWpar8/s1600-h/2w1xjz6.jpg

Why were Celtic fans in the covered terracing?

Peevemor
05-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Why were Celtic fans in the covered terracing?

They weren't, the CS gas canister was thrown from the Dunbar end.

Stevie Reid
05-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Remember that day very well, just to top it off I'm sure we got beat 1-0, McAvennie scoring the winner. Probably the first time I cried at ER, certainly wasn't the last though.

Borders Hibby
05-07-2010, 08:37 AM
They weren't, the CS gas canister was thrown from the Dunbar end.

I thought that, not like the Hunday Mail to get something wrong.:agree:

vincipernoi
05-07-2010, 08:41 AM
I was on the back page (I think) of the sunday mail standing next to a police horse rubbing my eyes

I heard the bang and people shout 'tear gas' but assumed it was just a firework until the gas swept along the terracing

the metal barriers were uprooted in some places

about 50 people were taken to RIE, no one seriously injured I think

the culprits appealed their jail sentences and got them doubled if I remember correctly

Lurgan Hibs
05-07-2010, 08:46 AM
And Celtic fans wonder why don't like them much :rolleyes:

Phil D. Rolls
05-07-2010, 08:56 AM
I was on the back page (I think) of the sunday mail standing next to a police horse rubbing my eyes

I heard the bang and people shout 'tear gas' but assumed it was just a firework until the gas swept along the terracing

the culprits appealed their jail sentences and got them doubled if I remember correctly

I think it's high time they started putting LSD in the Bovril again.:greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-07-2010, 09:00 AM
the culprits appealed their jail sentences and got them doubled if I remember correctly IIRC the main culprit is now dead, nae sad loss really!

MSK
05-07-2010, 09:01 AM

the culprits appealed their jail sentences and got them doubled if I remember correctlyI was taken to hospital ...i appeared in court as a witness too...delighted when the ****ers got sent down ...:agree:

Hal Jordan
05-07-2010, 09:03 AM
I remember that day very well. I was in under the cowshed at the North end wi ma dad, brother and two uncles. All of the home areas were full of Celtc fans that day...we were just getting back into the match and suddenly a big cloud started wafting down from the fence between the Dunbar end and the East. We were up near the back corner (the gap between FF and East now) and there was a big enough crush there to get back from it, must have been a nightmare in the East. After the match was restarted Celtic reorganised and closed us out.
If I remember correctly,it was claimed (by Celtc's mob) that it wasn't CS gas, but an army smoke grenade or something...

There was a HUGE crowd packed into ER that day, way over the 23,000 or whatever the capacity was at time....

Peevemor
05-07-2010, 09:11 AM
I remember the stewards/police trying to stop people going on to the pitch as they had no idea what was happening, though as soon as they realised they opened the gates quickly enough. I was on the East terracing about level with the halfway line and it took a while for the gas to reach me (though how long exactly I couldn't say).

It was definitely gas - there was no smoke.

MSK
05-07-2010, 09:15 AM
I remember the stewards/police trying to stop people going on to the pitch as they had no idea what was happening, though as soon as they realised they opened the gates quickly enough. I was on the East terracing about level with the halfway line and it took a while for the gas to reach me (though how long exactly I couldn't say).

It was definitely gas - there was no smoke.:agree: and it stung hell out of my eyes for what seemed ages ..that was even after nearly getting drooned wi buckets of ice cold water !!!...i was treated under the main stand before i got taken to hospital ..my eyes were still stinging after i got to hospital ...

Hibernia Na Eir
05-07-2010, 09:35 AM
two very different stories are portrayed of this day if you read the accounts of O'Kane's and Blanche's and Dyke's books....

1980s footballing days threw up this kind of thing though. Hard to believe nowadays, but mad times back then, especially pre and post ER vs Aberdeen and the OF.

Remember the molitov cocktail in Princes St? Crazy days indeed!

jgl07
05-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the information.

Hibee87
05-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Im sure i was told that fans ran onto the pitch and some celtic fans were there, one celtic fan tried to run away from the hibs guys chasing him and with out looking ran straight into the goals :faf:

then i could be wrong or someone was jsut bull****ting me but i still find the thoguht funny of a soapdodger tryign to run away and getitng cuaght in a net :faf::faf:

Sergey
05-07-2010, 10:25 AM
A couple of weeks before the Celtic match, Hibs played away at Love Street. On the return journey, we got ambushed by a group of Celtic casuals between Glasgow Central & Queen St stations. A CS canister was launched at us that day, too. I think about 80 off us got lifted for brawling :boo hoo:

EskbankHibby
05-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Remember being on the pitch that day and Alex Miller walking around trying to calm everyone down. Was in the East at the back in the middle wondering what all the fuss was about then eyes and nose starting stinging like hell, weird day.

Antifa Hibs
05-07-2010, 10:39 AM
two very different stories are portrayed of this day if you read the accounts of O'Kane's and Blanche's and Dyke's books....

1980s footballing days threw up this kind of thing though. Hard to believe nowadays, but mad times back then, especially pre and post ER vs Aberdeen and the OF.

What is O'Kanes version of the story..?

In fairness to the Tims, although I don't know how much truth there is in it, apperntly Celtic fans ran their 'own mob' for their actions a week or two later.

Jay
05-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Best i could find ..

Thanks HH I have been looking for that pic for years. I could never find it on the papers websites although I wasn't sure what paper it was so trawled through them all. The photo with the guy covering the wee boys mouth with a hankie is my brother. As far as I know he didn't know the little boy.

Edit: Thanks Panshibby too.

Keith_M
05-07-2010, 11:10 AM
What is O'Kanes version of the story..?

In fairness to the Tims, although I don't know how much truth there is in it, apperntly Celtic fans ran their 'own mob' for their actions a week or two later.

I was certainly no angel in my teens (especially at the football) but I wouldn't be happy for all Hibs fans to be judged by some prat throwing a petrol bomb in Princes Street or, allegedly, planning to throw more of them at a train full of Aberdeen fans.

Celtic's 'casuals' were widely despised by their own support. I think it's unfair to judge them all on the actions of those couple of morons. Stick to all the genuine reasons for despising them :wink:

heretoday
05-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Was that the only time horses were on the pitch at ER?

Apart from certain members of the Hearts defence of course.

Hibs Class
05-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Was that the only time horses were on the pitch at ER?

Apart from certain members of the Hearts defence of course.

I think there were horses on the pitch when Rangers won the league there on the last day of the season a few years ago.

Dr What If?
05-07-2010, 11:41 AM
I was nly a wee kid on that day, I was there with a pal and his big brother in the old main stand. Before the incident I remember there were massive fights in the terracing, the segragation fencing on the corner terrace connecting the East and the Dunbar was ripped appart and there was a massive riot until the police managed to get between the fans. It wasn't long after that fans started pilling on the pitch, we had no idea what was going on.

We didn't stay long after the restart. My pal's big brother feared that there would be massive riots after the game. We went to the toilets in the stand where we got hit by a waft of gas (must have travelled through the pipes or something). I remember being blind and I could barely breath. Just being a wee kid I was petrafied that day. It was over a year before my mum let me go back to Easter Road:boo hoo:

JackRegan
05-07-2010, 12:14 PM
I too would be very interested to hear O'Kanes version of events that day. Here are a couple of mine.

At the time Casuals were wearing Chinos, denim shirts with ties and Navy Blazers, which was a pretty fashionable out fit back then - I had such a get up on that day as I was going straight out on Glasgow that evening. Anyway, we got jarred up by some CCS at Montrose Terrace who thought we were CSC, only for a mix of Hibs "scarfers" and two reasonable CCS types to placate things after a bit of what has now referred to as "pavement dancing", although the fact that there was Polis everyhwere prevented any serious scrapping.

IIRC Hibs fans were held back longer than normal that day and a few Celtic fans who went for a pint, or to check racing results prior to the buses leaving got a bit of a doing.

The other thing that got me about that day is that we were playing some outstanding stuff and were winning 1-0 and it interupted a superb performance from Celtic, which wound the support up. the CSC and the Celtic support had had a few run ins in the past (Cappielow in April 85 and Love Street in Feb 86) as well as a many a rammy at the back of the Celtic end (The CSC never went in/could not go in the Jungle. Also, if any of you on here were part of the CCS back then, you would know that half of Celtic's "mob" went on buses, our bus had three of these guys who were barred Sine Die at a meeting prior to our home game against Hearts. I nearly got barred as well because I was a well turned out dude. :greengrin

Anyway, the rest of the CSC were nowhere to be seen, apart from thsoe who went on the train cadging lifts on buses as they were too feart to make the walk to Waverley. The fact we had such big numbers (10,000 +) there that day I think saved a few fans a doing.

the story also goes that these guys bought the CS Gas (It was actually a fumigation "grenade" used for gardening) when we were at Dortmund in the UEFA Cup.

the guy who got fingered and done for it was called Joe Donnelly from Easterhouse. The bold Joe was shot (in a drug fued) on his release in 1993 and subsequently died later that year, although I am unsure if it was as a reuslt of the shooting or because he was a junky.

The trouble after it, IMO was not that bad and was nothing compared to what happened before the Cup tie in 1986, In my experience, if it was going to kick off at Easter Road, 9 times out of 10, it would kick off before the game. Hearts was always a bit juicy after the game. :cool2:

Jack
05-07-2010, 12:51 PM
I too would be very interested to hear O'Kanes version of events that day. Here are a couple of mine.

At the time Casuals were wearing Chinos, denim shirts with ties and Navy Blazers, which was a pretty fashionable out fit back then - I had such a get up on that day as I was going straight out on Glasgow that evening. Anyway, we got jarred up by some CCS at Montrose Terrace who thought we were CSC, only for a mix of Hibs "scarfers" and two reasonable CCS types to placate things after a bit of what has now referred to as "pavement dancing", although the fact that there was Polis everyhwere prevented any serious scrapping.

IIRC Hibs fans were held back longer than normal that day and a few Celtic fans who went for a pint, or to check racing results prior to the buses leaving got a bit of a doing.

The other thing that got me about that day is that we were playing some outstanding stuff and were winning 1-0 and it interupted a superb performance from Celtic, which wound the support up. the CSC and the Celtic support had had a few run ins in the past (Cappielow in April 85 and Love Street in Feb 86) as well as a many a rammy at the back of the Celtic end (The CSC never went in/could not go in the Jungle. Also, if any of you on here were part of the CCS back then, you would know that half of Celtic's "mob" went on buses, our bus had three of these guys who were barred Sine Die at a meeting prior to our home game against Hearts. I nearly got barred as well because I was a well turned out dude. :greengrin

Anyway, the rest of the CSC were nowhere to be seen, apart from thsoe who went on the train cadging lifts on buses as they were too feart to make the walk to Waverley. The fact we had such big numbers (10,000 +) there that day I think saved a few fans a doing.

the story also goes that these guys bought the CS Gas (It was actually a fumigation "grenade" used for gardening) when we were at Dortmund in the UEFA Cup.

the guy who got fingered and done for it was called Joe Donnelly from Easterhouse. The bold Joe was shot (in a drug fued) on his release in 1993 and subsequently died later that year, although I am unsure if it was as a reuslt of the shooting or because he was a junky.

The trouble after it, IMO was not that bad and was nothing compared to what happened before the Cup tie in 1986, In my experience, if it was going to kick off at Easter Road, 9 times out of 10, it would kick off before the game. Hearts was always a bit juicy after the game. :cool2:

Another attempt at Celtc rewriting history.

It was CS gas, that is what your Celtc **** colleague was charged with and that is what he was found guilty of. I am sure if a mistake had been made in the description of the offence then your fellow supporter would have got off on a technicality.

I was at the match and while affected by the CS gas I wasn’t that badly hurt although still had nippy eyes well into the evening.

I also happened to be in Barlinnie shortly after the incident where your **** comrade had been remanded. I was informed by a few officers that the Celtc supporter had been bragging about the affect the CS gas had caused.

So you can #### off back to your cess pit, a place more in need of fumigation I cannot imagine.

JackRegan
05-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Another attempt at Celtc rewriting history.

It was CS gas, that is what your Celtc **** colleague was charged with and that is what he was found guilty of. I am sure if a mistake had been made in the description of the offence then your fellow supporter would have got off on a technicality.

I was at the match and while affected by the CS gas I wasn’t that badly hurt although still had nippy eyes well into the evening.

I also happened to be in Barlinnie shortly after the incident where your **** comrade had been remanded. I was informed by a few officers that the Celtc supporter had been bragging about the affect the CS gas had caused.

So you can #### off back to your cess pit, a place more in need of fumigation I cannot imagine.

Mr Angry,

It was 23 years ago and he's not my "colleague" (strange choice of word ), he was a ned who supported the same team as me and indeed I make no reference to him as such.

As for what it was in itself that was thrown, I am only saying what I heard the item actually was, I may have heard wrong. I only posted my recollection of that day and what I knew of the "aftermath", not "re-writing history" as you put it.

Why you chose to be confrontational over this, is anyone's guess.

Cheers

JR

Peevemor
05-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Mr Angry,

It was 23 years ago and he's not my "colleague" (strange choice of word ), he was a ned who supported the same team as me and indeed I make no reference to him as such.

As for what it was in itself that was thrown, I am only saying what I heard the item actually was, I may have heard wrong. I only posted my recollection of that day and what I knew of the "aftermath", not "re-writing history" as you put it.

Cheers

JR

Why did you wrongly try to correct us that it wasn't CS gas but a gardening smoke bomb then? Why bother mentioning it if you didn't know?

Some size of gardens you must have in the East of Glasgow! :cool2:

.Sean.
05-07-2010, 01:27 PM

A bullet sounds too good for a twat like that. The ******* should've been castrated. Did he get a few doings in the Bar-L? Here's hoping.

Celtic ****bag. I ****ing hate them all.

At The Edge
05-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Yep it was defo CS gas, my eyes hurt like ******! ended up on the pitch with all the casuals even though i wasn't part of them, nearly got a tanking as well up in Princes St by some cardboard 'Hibs' casuals after the game.
Toss pots :grr:

JackRegan
05-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Why did you wrongly try to correct us that it wasn't CS gas but a gardening smoke bomb then? Why bother mentioning it if you didn't know?

Some size of gardens you must have in the East of Glasgow! :cool2:

I mentioned it because the guy travelled on a registered Celtic Supporters bus (the notorious Caravel CSC - pub gone, most patrons dead and bus off the road - famous other members include the two guys found in car shot dead and mutilated on the day of Arthur Thomson's funeral), anyway Celtic working with the Police quizzed them and other clubs, mine included to ascertain whether or not there were more of these in circulation and at an Association meeting a member of the Caravel said it was a pestcide grenade (which would have had a similar effect, although I am unsure as to the respective chemical compositions), it was at this time, some of the members agreed that this was a possibility, all the more so since Donnelly never went to Dortmund where the CS gas was supposed to have been bought.

I wouldnae get too hung up on what it was precisely, that's not really important in the grand scheme of things. Sorry I mentioned it now!!

Crazy days, we got a flare fired at us from huns at our Ne-er Day game that season.

sauzee1966
05-07-2010, 01:57 PM
All i remember was a loud metallic noise from where i was in the East. The crowd suddenly rushed away from the Away end and all hell broke loose. Celtic fans were in the East that day as they were in front of us.
It was not a smoke bomb or Flare trip wire. It was Gas and i and 2 friends suffered badly but never went to the RIE.

The people that did this were total muppets......and rightly got banged up ( 2yrs i think )

:thumbsup:

Thanks HH I have been looking for that pic for years. I could never find it on the papers websites although I wasn't sure what paper it was so trawled through them all. The photo with the guy covering the wee boys mouth with a hankie is my brother. As far as I know he didn't know the little boy.

Edit: Thanks Panshibby too.

bawheid
05-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Crazy days, we got a flare fired at us from huns at our Ne-er Day game that season.

It wiznae jist us, it wiz them tae. :agree:

JackRegan
05-07-2010, 02:07 PM
I would also like to add that on Celtic's two other visits to Easter Road that season (midweek Cup replay and in the League) that there was a HUGE police presence and also that in the Cup tie at Celtic Park (a very dull 0-0) draw, the CCS was the largest hooligan presence I have ever seen visit Celtic Park (they were out for revenge - that was clear), although all games passed off pretty quietly, thankfully.

JackRegan
05-07-2010, 02:09 PM
It wiznae jist us, it wiz them tae. :agree:

Not the point of the post, my point was that the mid to late 80's saw levels of violence at Scottish Grounds, that are unimaginable now.

ahem, Cough...Hibs at love st...Cough, Cough. :wink:

Jay
05-07-2010, 02:14 PM
I wouldnae get too hung up on what it was precisely, that's not really important in the grand scheme of things. Sorry I mentioned it now!!

Really?? I think its very important in the grand scheme of things. Have a look at the photo in Panshibbys link (its a bigger copy)- look at that wee boys eyes, look at the fear. Tell me that the fact it was CS gas is unimportant. Tell me what he was witnessing was unimportant? The effects of CS gas on the people surrounding him was horrendous. Smoke would have been bad enough but what that wee boy saw was way worse.

Here I will even give you the link to save you the bother of looking

This wasn't casuals against mair erseholes in some car park somewhere. This was old men, women, kids, people who's only crime was supporting their team one saturday when the idiots came visiting.

JackRegan
05-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Really?? I think its very important in the grand scheme of things. Have a look at the photo in Panshibbys link (its a bigger copy)- look at that wee boys eyes, look at the fear. Tell me that the fact it was CS gas is unimportant. Tell me what he was witnessing was unimportant? The effects of CS gas on the people surrounding him was horrendous. Smoke would have been bad enough but what that wee boy saw was way worse.

Here I will even give you the link to save you the bother of looking

This wasn't casuals against mair erseholes in some car park somewhere. This was old men, women, kids, people who only supported their team one saturday.

I think you've missed my point. what it did was of course important, the effects, the victims - they are the important bit

The composition of said missile, at the end of the day, does not matter. Like I said, sorry I mentioned that part of it now.

Jay
05-07-2010, 02:31 PM
I think you've missed my point. what it did was of course important, the effects, the victims - they are the important bit

The composition of said missile, at the end of the day, does not matter. Like I said, sorry I mentioned that part of it now.

I do get your point I just disagree with it.

Hainan Hibs
05-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Like I said, sorry I mentioned that part of it now.

Why mention anything at all?

JackRegan
05-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Why mention anything at all?

:yawn:

Because it was a detail that went around at the time, being at the game I put forward what I remember about it, following someones comment about differing versions mentioned in two books.

Listen ICGAF what he threw, he should not have thrown anything, it was the act of a complete rodent and I genuinley felt for Hibs fans affected that day, as did the majority of Celtic fans present that day.

Seems to many on here are looking for confronation with me over this rather than discuss what went on.

Jack
05-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Mr Angry,

Cheers

JR

I’m injured, 100s need medical treatment. Meantime some wee runt is bragging about it in prison. You seek to play down the incident 23 years later rather than accept it for what it was. In many similar incidents ordinary folk like me, my friends, my family, my fellow supporters have died.

Meanwhile the greatest fans on earth, you included, continue to pedal half truths and myths, clinging on to their sectarian past in the hope of faux sympathy. Condescendingly referring to us as being the same as you, ‘our wee cousins’, you, the lot of you, are no better than your bigotfest brethren from Ibrox. The pair of you are a blot on an otherwise pleasant landscape.

The only time I’ll cheer you, or the other lot, is when your history.

Sorry, was I supposed to be grateful?

Joe Baker II
05-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Remember it been pretty good game before the incident with one of the largest crowds I have seen at ER, in a season when Scottish attendance figures were really picking up.

Also recall crush trying to get through gates in fences at half way line on East Stand, ironically I think there were quite a few Celtic fans who got the full effect of the CS gas (ignoring debate above on what it actually was) as a lot of them who could not get into Dunbar End ended up at the top of East Terrace near the Dunbar End. Was not much incident on the pitch despite 3-4,000 fans being on it other than some chanting, no idea what happened elsewhere after game although I walked up ER after it without incident.

Was sad development that Duff/Gray then made all games against Rangers and Celtic all ticket because of the action of a small number of people.

Big Frank
05-07-2010, 08:49 PM
I was 15 or 16 years old and it was exciting. Damn exciting.

skyehibee
05-07-2010, 08:57 PM
If you look up real football factories and scotland into youtube. Theres a program about it on that with a few folk talking about it.

vincipernoi
05-07-2010, 09:11 PM

[QUOTE=Filled Rolls;2507025]I think it's high time they started putting LSD in the Bovril again.:greengrin

why shouldn't law abiding horses practice iridology in the sunday comics?, probably could have punctuated that better

I think the proclaimers were presented to the crowd at that match as well

I seem to remember the visiting support giving us the 'can you hear the hibees sing?'

with regards to the actual gas it was the most noxious I have encountered (and in my job I've got some pedigree)

if you can riot with that stuff around you must feel strongly about something

green leaves
05-07-2010, 09:33 PM

**** me,not another one,i was crushed up against the fence in the rush to get onto the pitch,bruised ribs,eye and throat stinging for hours after.

You get that from CS gas not something you use to kill greenfly.

I've heard from various members of your delude schum of a support,tell me it was Hibs fans that threw it,sellick just threw it back/its was huns doin it to blacken wur name,etc,

Away and celebrate soldiers being killed on the huddleboard,

The Silver Fox
05-07-2010, 10:15 PM
My first sense that something was wrong was that people started moving quickly in all sorts of directions and it looked like a fight with no centre. I always stood to the left and above where the casuls used to congregate in the East. Lots of people around me were panicking and when it hit me I realised straight away it was CS. It caught my throat nose and eyes. Hundreds of Hibs suporters ended up on the pitch and a few older guys were hurt as the crowd started to panic and head for the exits.

No Celtic fans were affected as the wind was blowing from the Dunbar end and that meant it travelled down the whole length of the East. The ref pulled the players in and I remember standing out the back of the East wall. After a short time I went back in and probably only a third of the crowd from the East returned the rest made their way out of the ground. The hostility towards the Celtic supporters was evident. The game suffered a delay of about 15 minutes, the Celtic crowd who were mostly unaware of what had occured was strangely quiet.

Definitely the most weird day I had ever witnessed as a football supporter. It was by pure luck and good fortune no one died that day. Never knew the guy who threw the canister into the Hibs crowd has died, I'm sure he got a 3 year sentence and served that at HMYOI Polmont. I suppose that is what is known as Karma.

Hibs On Tour
05-07-2010, 10:37 PM
I remember that day very well. I was in under the cowshed at the North end wi ma dad, brother and two uncles. All of the home areas were full of Celtc fans that day...we were just getting back into the match and suddenly a big cloud started wafting down from the fence between the Dunbar end and the East. We were up near the back corner (the gap between FF and East now) and there was a big enough crush there to get back from it, must have been a nightmare in the East. After the match was restarted Celtic reorganised and closed us out.
If I remember correctly,it turned out that it wasn't CS gas, but an army smoke grenade or something...

100% was CS...

Hibs On Tour
05-07-2010, 10:49 PM

Only replying as a matter of record - not looking for a sideways debate on the 'lads' side of it - just adding my experience on the night to this. Not read any of the noted books so no idea what will tally [or not] with those. No odds really.

CS went off right at the end of the East nearest the Dunbar End. Def from their end. Wind blew it right along the terracing and it took a few minutes to really kick in. Natural panic set in and people stampeded. Poster who noted that crash barriers were ripped out by weight of people is 100% correct. Lots - including some of us Hibs lot - took to the pitch. Both Hibs firm and some scarfers approached Celtic end but police pushed us back from it. Some of Hibs firm - myself included - then left through now open gates at foot of steps from East and headed around to Dunbar End. When we [about 12-20 of us] arrived we found about 50 Celtic outside our main stand in the road - we ran at them and they ran, leaving a couple of boys spraying something in our direction. Wasn't visible so we ran through it and they've all been chased back into the Dunbar End and have closed the gates on us themselves. We're left in the road between our main stand and the bridge having walked right back into this invisible crowd. By the time our main firm have come round, we're pretty much in tatters sitting around the bridge unable to see/breathe/etc.

We get ourselves together and head off up towards the station, knowing they have to go back there. Lothian & Borders see us mobbed up and assume we are Celtic and give us an escort into the station, unbeknown to them that is exactly where we wanted to get to! By the time Celtic arrive we have about 300 boys milling about the lower level - the OB hold Celtic on the upper walkway and send them down 3-4 at a time to get to the platform for their trains. Needless to say, it was a bit like that old game you played at primary with these groups of 3-4 running the gauntlet to get through but to be honest I don't think the OB cared one way or the other what happened to Celtic that evening after what they had just done to ordinary supporters at ER.

As I say, only added as a relevant note ref the experience that evening.

Hibs On Tour
05-07-2010, 10:52 PM
It was by pure luck and good fortune no one died that day.

Agree 100% :agree:

JackRegan
06-07-2010, 07:26 AM
**** me,not another one,i was crushed up against the fence in the rush to get onto the pitch,bruised ribs,eye and throat stinging for hours after.

I've heard from various members of your delude schum of a support,tell me it was Hibs fans that threw it,sellick just threw it back/its was huns doin it to blacken wur name,etc,

1.) Where have I denied it was Celtic fans. It was Celtic fans, open and shut case, funnily enough I don't know of any Tims denying it, why chose to bring up/make up something some random came out with is anyones guess.

2.) I don't post on the huddleboard. :wink:

JackRegan
06-07-2010, 07:28 AM
I’m injured, 100s need medical treatment. Meantime some wee runt is bragging about it in prison. You seek to play down the incident 23 years later rather than accept it for what it was. In many similar incidents ordinary folk like me, my friends, my family, my fellow supporters have died.

Meanwhile the greatest fans on earth, you included, continue to pedal half truths and myths, clinging on to their sectarian past in the hope of faux sympathy. Condescendingly referring to us as being the same as you, ‘our wee cousins’, you, the lot of you, are no better than your bigotfest brethren from Ibrox. The pair of you are a blot on an otherwise pleasant landscape.

Aye but we know how to behave at UEFA Cup Finals. :agree:

Love the melodrama. :greengrin

Borders Hibby
06-07-2010, 07:39 AM
Aye but we know how to behave at UEFA Cup Finals. :agree:

Aye you were all too drunk to fight.:wink: All clubs have individuals and events that they are not proud of, to ignore them or condone them tars us with all with the same brush. I was there that day and was in fear for my life, if we had not been allowed on the pitch it could have been a lot worse. Lets try and agree that any violence associated with football is wrong.:agree:

The old firm have long seated problems with bigotry that are a whole different discussion topic. Throwing a CS gas cannister or a petrol bomb are just plain wrong.:agree:

Phil D. Rolls
06-07-2010, 08:27 AM
A bullet sounds too good for a twat like that. The ******* should've been castrated. Did he get a few doings in the Bar-L? Here's hoping.

Celtic ****bag. I ****ing hate them all.

:faf: I hope you'd get a good night's sleep after it.

Some of them are all right guys.

matty_f
06-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Aye but we know how to behave at UEFA C.up Finals :agree:

just not on the flight home.

tony higgins
06-07-2010, 09:19 AM
I,m confused, i,m sure the guy that got jailed for the CS gas attack came from Barmulloch not Easterhouse.
I,d an old old aunt now deceased that lived in the same street as him.
Was the talk of the steamie at the time, passers-by were stopping and pointing his house out.
Was there more than one jailed for that incident?

MSK
06-07-2010, 10:03 AM
I,m confused, i,m sure the guy that got jailed for the CS gas attack came from Barmulloch not Easterhouse.
I,d an old old aunt now deceased that lived in the same street as him.
Was the talk of the steamie at the time, passers-by were stopping and pointing his house out.
Was there more than one jailed for that incident?From what i remember from the trial there were two in the dock & i think both got the same term 2-3 years ..

judas
06-07-2010, 12:18 PM
And Celtic fans wonder why don't like them much :rolleyes:

One should try to keep things in perspective.

Big Frank
06-07-2010, 02:36 PM

Thought I had logged into kackback for a moment there.

Phil D. Rolls
06-07-2010, 04:23 PM

I'm sure an OF fan will know all about people dieing at the football. If they weren't there in 1971, they will certainly have heard about it.

You, or nobody else died at Easter Road. I think you're being a bit over dramatic on this one tbh.

Apart from anything else Hibs fans did something very similar at Ibrox around 85/86. "Ordinary" people could have died there too.

By the way, if someone who wasn't "ordinary" had died, I take it that would be OK?

Joe Baker II
07-07-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm sure an OF fan will know all about people dieing at the football. If they weren't there in 1971, they will certainly have heard about it.

You, or nobody else died at Easter Road. I think you're being a bit over dramatic on this one tbh.

Apart from anything else Hibs fans did something very similar at Ibrox around 85/86. "Ordinary" people could have died there too.

By the way, if someone who wasn't "ordinary" had died, I take it that would be OK?

I totally agree with your post but what did Hibs fans do at Ibrox in 1985-86?

Phil D. Rolls
07-07-2010, 04:47 PM

I'm sketchy on this, but it was a rocket or smoke bomb or similar that was fired into the Hun support in the Broomloan Stand. Maybe someone else can give better details?

lEXO
07-07-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm sketchy on this, but it was a rocket or smoke bomb or similar that was fired into the Hun support in the Broomloan Stand. Maybe someone else can give better details?
They tried to fire a flare into the Huns enclosure below in the main stand.We had the upper wing section in the main stand that day.My mate(who shall remain anonymous) fired it straight up into the roof.It got caught up in the netting in the roof area and burned away.Luckily nobody was hurt,and a stupid stunt never worked.
On the cs gas subject, it landed about 6 feet from me and we knew right away it was gas.we were lucky not to have a disaster on our hands, and i managed to get my scarf over my face quick enough to avoid the gas.Others weren,t so lucky with the gas, and the theiving b*****s who stole their jackets.

RigRoars
07-07-2010, 05:04 PM

It was a flare.

We were in the old stand(top right) that day, next to the Broomloan stand.

Just as the boy was about to fire it towards the huns, someone nudged him and it flew up,got stuck in the netting above,then dropped in among us.

Just a shame it missed the Hun *******s IMO

EDIT - Spot on IEXO

Sprouleflyer
07-07-2010, 05:50 PM
It was a flare.

We were in the old stand(top right) that day, next to the Broomloan stand.

Just as the boy was about to fire it towards the huns, someone nudged him and it flew up,got stuck in the netting above,then dropped in among us.

Just a shame it missed the Hun *******s IMO

EDIT - Spot on IEXO

Crazy ideal considering someone died at Cardiff Arms Park with the exact same stunt.

Probably best that the guy was nudged.

Brizo
07-07-2010, 06:02 PM
They tried to fire a flare into the Huns enclosure below in the main stand.We had the upper wing section in the main stand that day.My mate(who shall remain anonymous) fired it straight up into the roof.It got caught up in the netting in the roof area and burned away.Luckily nobody was hurt,and a stupid stunt never worked.
On the cs gas subject, it landed about 6 feet from me and we knew right away it was gas.we were lucky not to have a disaster on our hands, and i managed to get my scarf over my face quick enough to avoid the gas.Others weren,t so lucky with the gas, and the theiving b*****s who stole their jackets.

And if it hadnt got caught in the netting and landed on the floor of the stand panic and even worse the potential for a Bradford style fire. Point being its just pure luck that there arent sticky buns posting threads nowadays about the stadium fire started by Hibs fans 25 years ago. I was at the CS gas game and im not playing it down but it pays to keep a sense of perspective .... imho

RigRoars
07-07-2010, 06:33 PM
And if it hadnt got caught in the netting and landed on the floor of the stand panic and even worse the potential for a Bradford style fire. Point being its just pure luck that there arent sticky buns posting threads nowadays about the stadium fire started by Hibs fans 25 years ago. I was at the CS gas game and im not playing it down but it pays to keep a sense of perspective .... imho

Fair point.

lEXO
07-07-2010, 09:00 PM
I would have thought that my saying "stupid stunt that did,nt work" and "lucky not to have a disaster on our hands" would have gave my perspective on things to be honest.Hey ho, cant please everyone.

madabouthibs
07-07-2010, 10:22 PM
I remember that day well.
Me and my 3 mates were standing at our usual barrier, next to the pillar about the half way line on the East.
I didn't feel the affects of the gas, but got carried with the surge down to the fence, by the time we reached the fence I could feel it in my eyes and throat, and I did panic quite a bit! I managed to get up the fence, but couldn't get over, a copper dragged me over. I remember the knees on my stone chinos were all grassy stains! :grr: I was 14 at the time.
I think the Celtic casuals got escorted out that day, and the "normal" Celtic fans were pelting them with coins.
There was a large group of Celtic fans in the cowshed that day too, and they were pretty much ****ting themselves!

erin go bragh
07-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Remember that day very well, just to top it off I'm sure we got beat 1-0, McAvennie scoring the winner. Probably the first time I cried at ER, certainly wasn't the last though.
no we were winning 1 nil when the cs gas was thrown in and ended up getting beat 2 1 :grr:fin **** [had to jump over the fence and hog the pitch to catch my breath]

weecounty hibby
08-07-2010, 05:44 AM
no we were winning 1 nil when the cs gas was thrown in and ended up getting beat 2 1 :grr:fin **** [had to jump over the fence and hog the pitch to catch my breath]
Think your wrong, my recollection is that we were 0-1 down at the time but pushing hard for an equaliser and were on top when the CS was thrown. Game ended 0-1. I too was on the pitch and in fact ended up in the tunnel. Billy McNeil came out at one pont and was raging tellng the Hibbies to get out etc. He was told to gtf and that this had been caused by his fans, he went back to his dressing room looking a bit sheepish after being told who was to blame.

I was also at Ibrox the day of the flare, it was set off a couple of rows in front of where we were sat.

These two incidents could have been another Hilsborough and Bradford. Mental!

GREEN WARLORD
08-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Went through to the Summit Centre in Glasgow for ice skating that day. Went back to some friends at Castlemilk and low and behold, Smeltic fans standing outside a chippy cuaght a wiff of our accents. 2 of us against 6 plastics, needless to say we destroyed them all :wink:

Phil D. Rolls
08-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Went through to the Summit Centre in Glasgow for ice skating that day. Went back to some friends at Castlemilk and low and behold, Smeltic fans standing outside a chippy cuaght a wiff of our accents. 2 of us against 6 plastics, needless to say we destroyed them all :wink:

How, was it with your withering wit and amusing repartee?

GREEN WARLORD
08-07-2010, 07:44 AM
How, was it with your withering wit and amusing repartee?

Close, it took a few triple toe loops and the odd Camel spin.

Jack
08-07-2010, 08:16 AM

I think you're deflecting from the discussion here and being a little awkward.

I/We weren’t discussing the faults of Hibs fans in the past we were discussing a particular incident at Easter Road. TBH its all absolutely appalling and between that, the Heysel Stadium disaster and the other ‘incidents’ that took place around that time it put me off going to football matches for many years. TBF Alex Miller played his part in that too. :grr:

No nobody died, ordinary or otherwise, but when you think about the other incidents, like Heysel, you’ll see how horribly close we were. I was a young, fit, strong laddie in my late teens full of bravado and afraid of nothing – I was f’ing brickin’ it that day.

Over dramatic? I don’t think so, young kids affected, pensioners, everyone; family and friends being split up in the melee; panic. If it wasn’t for the tear gas you'd have been able to smell the fear.

Hibernia Na Eir
08-07-2010, 09:29 AM
O'Kane makes out in his book that the Celtic Casuals came onto the pitch, after the CS was thrown, to have it out with Hibs and then they chased Hibs back into the stand! This is total rubbish of course. His book then goes on to make many other lies. In fact, the whole book is just lies. Who was EVER afraid of the wimps at Celtic?!! Almost as bad as hearts!

Hibs On Tour
08-07-2010, 06:03 PM
O'Kane makes out in his book that the Celtic Casuals came onto the pitch, after the CS was thrown, to have it out with Hibs and then they chased Hibs back into the stand! This is total rubbish of course. His book then goes on to make many other lies. In fact, the whole book is just lies. Who was EVER afraid of the wimps at Celtic?!! Almost as bad as hearts!

To be fair, way way back in the day - before Rangers really got themselves together - the city centre of Glasgow was run by Smeltic. Didn't last that long though. Again, from a football perspective Celtic have always been pish and they've always had the peculiar thing of their own fans caning them too. O'Kane in particular is perhaps the biggest single second-prize merchant in Scottish football history...

The Silver Fox
11-07-2010, 01:48 PM
The flare at Ibrox in the Main Stand was a day of shame for Hibernian. Luckily it did not cause too much panic. When it got stuck in the netting and dropped it landed about four rows in front of me. I would have gladly horse whipped the idiot who set that off. An absolute moron and coward. A so called big man who hid behind his own support and got it all wrong. Remember that at that time the stand was wooden and it may have caused a Bradford type incident. I would be ashamed to call the idiot, a friend. He was no better than the piece of vermin that threw the CS canister into the Hibs support at Easter Road.

Jamie
11-07-2010, 02:15 PM
I was near the away end with my uncles when it came over our heads!

Phil D. Rolls
11-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Has anyone else detected a homo erotic slant to a lot of this chest thumping machismo, or should I get my mum to go out and buy me a show tunes CD?

lEXO
11-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Has anyone else detected a homo erotic slant to a lot of this chest thumping machismo, or should I get my mum to go out and buy me a show tunes CD?
Now now FR, the Rita Hayworth style posters will be on soon to horsewhip you with indignance at your insensitive comments.This is a serious subject i,ll have you know.:greengrin

The Silver Fox
11-07-2010, 05:14 PM
I stand by my words and so will the decent fans who were there as embarassed as I was on seeing such a dreadful act.

Below is a link to a video that was censored and is disturbing to watch. It shows how a small fire can escalate very quickly to horrendous consequences.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fc9_1278859042

lEXO
11-07-2010, 05:28 PM
I stand by my words and so will the decent fans who were there as embarassed as I was on seeing such a dreadful act.

Below is a link to a video that was censored and is disturbing to watch. It shows how a small fire can escalate very quickly to horrendous consequences.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fc9_1278859042
Did you read the posts on here condemning what happened.I cant see to many condoning the flare attack.People gave their description of what happened, and condemned it as it happens.So do me a favour and save the so will the decent fans stuff.We are talking about an incident 22 years ago, and i can assure you the person that done this is pretty ashamed of his actions.At the time he was a 17 year old kid who should have known better.
I,m sure that even a perfectionist like your goodself will look back on things done as a kid and regret some.Most people usually do

down-the-slope
11-07-2010, 09:51 PM

:agree: can't be bothered recounting it but I was right in the middle of CS episode....also was In Princes St when we chucked a petrol bomb - in the middle of a packed Saturday of shoppers - at Dons fans landing on the pavement...can still see the woman with a pram with baby in, and her look of panic as it set light to among other things the wheels of it.........