PDA

View Full Version : Define Irony

Phil D. Rolls
04-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Watching the excellent Con Air last night, one of the prisoners said to Nicolas Cage, "irony is listening to a song performed by a band that died in a plane crash, while you are on a plane that is about to crash".

I got to musing today, about how I would define irony. For example, irony is saying you are a great big team with lofty ambitions for the future, whilst your ambitionless neighbours achieve all the things you said you would do - first.

Things like reducing debt, league consistency, and of course completing their stadium. It's ironic if you said you would win the Champions League and have a 50m grandstand encompassing shops, hotels, and leather jacket cleaners. Yes, that is ironic.

It is also ironic to place yourself as some sort of giant of the modern game, when in fact you have done little to justify that status. Ironic in the way a 10 year kid driving a car is ironic.

Because beside the shoulder shrugging irony, is the possibility that you might actually burst due to your over inflated sense of your self worth. It's ironic that despite the number of pricks at that sort of club, their bubble remains relatively intact.

How do you define irony?

Marty-Hibee
04-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Getting ran over by an ambulance sums it up pretty well??:greengrin

steviecarnie
04-07-2010, 06:02 PM

no thats called luck

Phil D. Rolls
04-07-2010, 06:04 PM

That's the one that always makes me smile. Also, buying a return ticket and getting a lift home can be a bit sore.

hibees59
04-07-2010, 06:06 PM
It's ironic if you said you would win the Champions League and have a 50m grandstand encompassing shops, hotels, and leather jacket cleaners. Yes, that is ironic.

I

That's just embarrassing

MrSmith
04-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Odd one irony - everyone seems to misinterpret it!

My old engineering teacher from many moons ago told me a story about a bloke who bought an e-type jag. He was driving it home one day - very fast - came to a bend in the road, lost control and hit a telegraph pole. The thing was had he not hit the telegraph pole he was through the barrier and off down the side of a cliff! However, hitting the pole temporarily saved his life as he got out the car, started walking away...the very thing that saved him ended up killing him - the telegraph pole broke and fell on him!

to me that sums up irony!!

This is definitely not irony:

An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day
It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
It's a death row pardon two minutes too late
Isn't it ironic ... don't you think
Chorus

It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
Who would've thought ... it figures

Mr. Play It Safe was afraid to fly
He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids good-bye
He waited his whole damn life to take that flight
And as the plane crashed down he thought
'Well isn't this nice...'
And isn't it ironic ... don't you think
Repeat Chorus

Well life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
When you think everything's okay and everything's going right
And life has a funny way of helping you out when
You think everything's gone wrong and everything blows up
In your face

It's a traffic jam when you're already late
It's a no-smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
It's meeting the man of my dreams
And then meeting his beautiful wife
And isn't it ironic... don't you think
A little too ironic... and yeah I really do think...
Repeat Chorus

Life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
Life has a funny, funny way of helping you out
Helping you out

hibsbollah
04-07-2010, 06:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT1TVSTkAXg

Ed Byrne puts Alanis bang to rights here. 'The only thing ironic about that song is its written by a woman who doesnt kow what irony is':top marks

Now that's irony.

Bostonhibby
04-07-2010, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=Filled Rolls;2506740]I got to musing today, about how I would define irony. For example, irony is saying you are a great big team with lofty ambitions for the future, whilst your ambitionless neighbours achieve all the things you said you would do - first.

Things like reducing debt, league consistency, and of course completing their stadium. It's ironic if you said you would win the Champions League and have a 50m grandstand encompassing shops, hotels, and leather jacket cleaners. Yes, that is ironic.

:agree: Ironic indeed especially if ultimately all that looks like happening is a light bulb being changed! Then irony upon irony, the guy who would be managing this project, leaves to join said neighbours!

Phil D. Rolls
04-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Irony is not having a cuddly mascot to frighten your younger supporters on match days.
In a post modern kind of way.

Captain Trips
04-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Odd one irony - everyone seems to misinterpret it!

My old engineering teacher from many moons ago told me a story about a bloke who bought an e-type jag. He was driving it home one day - very fast - came to a bend in the road, lost control and hit a telegraph pole. The thing was had he not hit the telegraph pole he was through the barrier and off down the side of a cliff! However, hitting the pole temporarily saved his life as he got out the car, started walking away...the very thing that saved him ended up killing him - the telegraph pole broke and fell on him!

to me that sums up irony!!

This is definitely not irony:

An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day
It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
It's a death row pardon two minutes too late
Isn't it ironic ... don't you think
Chorus

It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
Who would've thought ... it figures

Mr. Play It Safe was afraid to fly
He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids good-bye
He waited his whole damn life to take that flight
And as the plane crashed down he thought
'Well isn't this nice...'
And isn't it ironic ... don't you think
Repeat Chorus

Well life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
When you think everything's okay and everything's going right
And life has a funny way of helping you out when
You think everything's gone wrong and everything blows up
In your face

It's a traffic jam when you're already late
It's a no-smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
It's meeting the man of my dreams
And then meeting his beautiful wife
And isn't it ironic... don't you think
A little too ironic... and yeah I really do think...
Repeat Chorus

Life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
Life has a funny, funny way of helping you out
Helping you out

I would say its ironic that the song isnt ironic.

bighairyfaeleith
04-07-2010, 06:50 PM
don't know much about irony, but I know **** when I smell it.:hahaha::jamboclow

RigRoars
04-07-2010, 06:54 PM
On Alanis Morissette , http://fgk.hanau.net/articles/ironic.html :greengrin

On our gorgie friends,a nicer bunch of upstanding citizens you couldn't hope to meet...How's that?

mjhibby
04-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Unfortunately most of the gorgie hordes wont know what irony is even if it slapped them in the face.The dont seem to notice how all other supporters of other teams now just laugh at thier utterances and how totally irrelevant they are.Most of them have nothing else in their lifes apart from hertz and like all religious zealots in a similar state can only see them as a big team who will one day come good.The fact that they have finished 6th and 8th recently in the league is of course just a blip in the grand scheme of their greatness.Sad and pathetic yes but ironic no.The only irony will be if and when they go to the wall is that they were the only ones who didnt see it coming.

Hibs On Tour
04-07-2010, 07:16 PM

Ed Byrne puts Alanis bang to rights here.'The only thing ironic about that song is its written by a woman who doesnt kow what irony is':top marks

Now that's irony.

What he said! :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
04-07-2010, 07:26 PM
don't know much about irony, but I know **** when I smell it.:hahaha::jamboclow

I don't, and I find that ironic.

Phil MaGlass
05-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Or the irony could be a club in 30 odd million debt goes into administration is docked 10 points/relegated to the 3rd becomes debt free and lives on stronger and bigger than before within 3 years is back in the SPL with a big shiny new stand? While we have done it the right way and paid our debt off.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Isn't irony a bit like goldy, just not as valuable?

Phil D. Rolls
05-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Or the irony could be a club in 30 odd million debt goes into administration is docked 10 points/relegated to the 3rd becomes debt free and lives on stronger and bigger than before within 3 years is back in the SPL with a big shiny new stand? While we have done it the right way and paid our debt off.

Yes, that will be the ultimate irony. :agree:

Hibbyradge
05-07-2010, 08:59 AM
David Cameron's promises to protect the poorest in Society.

bighairyfaeleith
05-07-2010, 09:00 AM
David Cameron's promises to protect the poorest in Society.

I don't know if thats irony as much as it's an outright lie:wink:

JE89
05-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Irony is an off duty fireman dying in a fire.

Also the fact that the Titanic was deemed 100% unsinkable, is pretty ironic.

Phil MaGlass
05-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Got one,
Rigging your attendances from the average 8-9 thousand that normally come to watch hertz and bump it up to 11-13,000 and releasing it as official attendance, then... find out your council rates get pumped up due partly to your attendances :thumbsup:

Disc O'Dave
05-07-2010, 12:00 PM
It would be ironic if Shakin' Stevens develops Parkinsons......

jgl07
05-07-2010, 02:12 PM
I don't know about irony.

But this is sarcasm!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSHaCzb3yYk

Jim44
05-07-2010, 02:34 PM
I thought 'irony' was a place you went to press your trousers. :offski:

GhostofBolivar
05-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Watching the excellent Con Air last night, one of the prisoners said to Nicolas Cage, "irony is listening to a song performed by a band that died in a plane crash, while you are on a plane that is about to crash".

Misquote!

Define irony. Bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.
:grr:

snooky
05-07-2010, 05:19 PM
"Irony" - Derek Jacobi's new film about an escaped train robber. :wink:

(Edit: oops, not David)

Greentinted
05-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Roger Daltry singing the line "I hope I die before I get old" anytime soon!

MrSmith
05-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Roger Daltry singing the line "I hope I die before I get old" anytime soon!

Here's a song for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeoGqLEiGYs

Greentinted
05-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Why thank you...I am honoured :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
06-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Misquote!

:grr:

Ironically, I knew I was paraphrasing, and I knew that someone would look up IMdb for me. Thanks for putting the record straight. :greengrin

Phil MaGlass
06-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Hirony and Lowrony

http://www.redsauce.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/2Ronnies.jpg

aye its poor but yi cannae blame a man fir tryin.....

Posh Swanny
06-07-2010, 10:51 AM

Ed Byrne puts Alanis bang to rights here. 'The only thing ironic about that song is its written by a woman who doesnt kow what irony is':top marks

Now that's irony.

Another example is the comedian taking the piss out of a song called "Ironic" for not being ironic, while missing the point that the lyrics not being ironc makes the song ironic.

Phil D. Rolls
06-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Another example is the comedian taking the piss out of a song called "Ironic" for not being ironic, while missing the point that the lyrics not being ironc makes the song ironic.

My head hurts :confused:, that's ironic as I started this thread. :greengrin

snooky
06-07-2010, 04:50 PM

Are you Donald Rumsfeld?

MCC Hibs
06-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Steel is irony.