PDA

View Full Version : Strange place to go

SmokieJoe
04-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Kris Boyd has signed a 2 year deal to be with his old pals from Celtic. strange he has signed for 'Boro and not taken the big bucks deal with Shota, and also knocked back the move to Brum. this reeks of 'wants to be a big fish in a wee pond' to me, surely 'Boro could not offer higher wages than Brum.

Hibbyradge
04-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Have you ever been to Birmingham?

SmokieJoe
04-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Have you ever been to Birmingham?

I had the Misfortune of driving through it twice, is 'Boro the Monaco of the north? I haven't been thereyet.

Hibbyradge
04-07-2010, 01:04 PM
is 'Boro the Monaco of the north?

Fair point. Middlesborough isn't great either.

Nearby Yarm is lovely though.

Hibby Bairn
04-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Surely you would want to test yourself at the highest level possible? Of the 3 options that would mean B'ham and EPL. But no he opts for testing himself v Doncaster, Coventry and the likes. Very strange.

RyeSloan
04-07-2010, 01:14 PM

Sounds like a Jambo farm ....:jamboak:

SmokieJoe
04-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Surely you would want to test yourself at the highest level possible? Of the 3 options that would mean B'ham and EPL. But no he opts for testing himself v Doncaster, Coventry and the likes. Very strange.

Shielsy :notworthy: is a Donny rovers player, i agree tho, Big fish in a wee pond

seanraff07
04-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Obviously doesn't have much ambition.

Although i honestly think if he signed for a team like Bolton or Birmingham he'd score about 5 goals a season.

PISTOL1875
04-07-2010, 01:43 PM
What a plank.. Why would you want to play in the Championship when you have a chance of going to the Premier League.. Nae ambition I'm thinking...

iwasthere1972
04-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Kris Boyd has signed a 2 year deal to be with his old pals from Celtic. strange he has signed for 'Boro and not taken the big bucks deal with Shota, and also knocked back the move to Brum. this reeks of 'wants to be a big fish in a wee pond' to me, surely 'Boro could not offer higher wages than Brum.

No ambition.

Simples. :agree:

.Sean.
04-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Boyd's a big, fat, lazy, junkie erse, couldn't care less where he's ended up.

bingo70
04-07-2010, 02:42 PM

Or maybe he just enjoys playing football and scoring goals and he knows he won't get the chance to do much of that in the premiership :dunno:

Fat hun bassa or not i think it's commendable to not just go where the money is

.Sean.
04-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Or maybe he just enjoys playing football and scoring goals and he knows he won't get the chance to do much of that in the premiership :dunno:

Fat hun bassa or not i think it's commendable to not just go where the money is
With the money he apparantly makes away from football i'm not surprised he turned down a move to Turkey.

bingo70
04-07-2010, 03:04 PM
With the money he apparantly makes away from football i'm not surprised he turned down a move to Turkey.

whens that ever stopped a footballer before?

If he'd joined a big team he'd be getting slated for being happy to go and pick up his wages for sitting on the bench, i'm no fan of him at all by any stretch of the imagination but he doesn't deserve stick for choosing to join a team for less money at a lower level where he's got a better chance of playing and scoring every week.

Oscar Lomax
04-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Shielsy :notworthy: is a Donny rovers player, i agree tho, Big fish in a wee pond

Why is Boyd a big fish?..... He couldn't get a game for Rangers, playing in a poor league. I think he is the most over rated player in recent time's. I cant understand the clamber to get his signature and the wages he has been offered is ludicrous. I'll give him 6 months and he will be greetin to get back up the road.

Groathillgrump
04-07-2010, 03:07 PM

Care to elaborate? :cool2:

Ed De Gramo
04-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Maybe he's just chosen to go to a team with a better chance of winning silverware and getting regular football.

If he's a hit in the Championship, then he'll get a chance to show what he can do in the EPL whether its by promotion or another team showing interest.

Simples

Iggy Pope
04-07-2010, 06:15 PM

Could be wrong but I'm sure that's where Rob Jones and Hoggy come from......

Musselbound
04-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Surely the shunning of George Burley and Scotland did not stem from his own lack of belief in his ability? Very surprising that he should choose Boro IF there were EPL offers on the table. Perhaps he would rather be a big fish in a small pond.

SmokieJoe
04-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Could be wrong but I'm sure that's where Rob Jones and Hoggy come from......

Hoggy defo from 'Boro, Rob Jones played for Grimsby when we signed him, I don't know his home town though.

marinello59
04-07-2010, 07:41 PM
I couldn't care less where the torn faced hun plies his trade. Odious man.

Iggy Pope
04-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Hoggy defo from 'Boro, Rob Jones played for Grimsby when we signed him, I don't know his home town though.

Seem to recall that Hoggy went to school with Jonesys wee sister and I'm certain it was in Yarm

OtterHibee
04-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Seem to recall that Hoggy went to school with Jonesys wee sister and I'm certain it was in Yarm

You're almost there. Chris's elder sister was in the same year as Rob Jones at Conyers School which is indeed in Yarm. Re: their respective home towns, Jones is from Stockton, whereas Hoggy is a Middlesbrough lad.

SmokieJoe
04-07-2010, 08:34 PM
You're almost there. Chris's elder sister was in the same year as Rob Jones at Conyers School which is indeed in Yarm. Re: their respective home towns, Jones is from Stockton, whereas Hoggy is a Middlesbrough lad.

Your house must be huge, all the way from Kirkaldy to Avimore!!:wink:

OtterHibee
04-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Your house must be huge, all the way from Kirkaldy to Avimore!!:wink:

:greengrin

Iggy Pope
04-07-2010, 08:51 PM

Educated in Yarm it is then as Hoggy went there too.

OtterHibee
04-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Educated in Yarm it is then as Hoggy went there too.

:agree:

easty
04-07-2010, 08:56 PM

Yeah Yarm is a lovely place, though I did have the misfortune of trying the local cuisine. A chicken parmo, horrible.

ian cruise
05-07-2010, 12:08 AM

just because birmingham can offer better wages than boro doesnt mean mcleish would have, he seems to be quite canny with the new owners cash. Plus i am certain that he will be on a decent wage at boro. not suprised he chose to knock back th emove to turkey, if he went and didnt settle it could have finished him where as he can float around the championship and make his money for the rest of his career now

Hibbyradge
05-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Obviously doesn't have much ambition.

Although i honestly think if he signed for a team like Bolton or Birmingham he'd score about 5 goals a season.

What a plank.. Why would you want to play in the Championship when you have a chance of going to the Premier League.. Nae ambition I'm thinking...

No ambition.

I do chuckle when we wise fans get all self righteous and tut tut about a player's lack of ambition. :greengrin

Why is not being ambitious a bad thing, anyway?

heretoday
05-07-2010, 08:17 AM
I shouldn't think Mr Boyd is too concerned about the respective cultural merits of Birmingham or Middlesborough!

GS must have persuaded him that Boro are on the way back up and that B'ham are on the way down.

southern hibby
05-07-2010, 08:40 AM
I for one think Boyd may have done what we have been telling players in Scotland for years. Why go to a team to warm the bench.
He may have just gone to Boro because they are the only team that has guaranteed him first team football, or a number of starts over the season.
Yes he could have had High ambition, but whats the point if you end up on the bench and never get a game, ask the numerous players in Scotland who have done this. Is this not what we tell our very own Hibs players when the infirm come sniffing around them? He may go there get a season or two under his belt and then have a clause in his contract that allows him to move on.
Yes he had offers from abroad however he is the same as us in one respect, family opinions. Did they want to leave the UK for Turkey etc? We will probably never now. Would you go abroad for more money if your family was dead against it?
I applaud his very shrewed move and only hope any other players leaving Easter Road etc look at this and decide to themselves why move along the M8 when I can go to England (even if it is the championship) get a season or two under their belt and then move on to bigger and better things.

weonlywon6-2
05-07-2010, 08:51 AM

not sure he is the big fish. he`s a lazy player hence why he started the bench a lot at rangers ,but yes he can score goals.

staying in a comfort zone if you ask me, not to much expectation on his shoulders joining boro

SmokieJoe
05-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Why is Boyd a big fish?..... He couldn't get a game for Rangers, playing in a poor league. I think he is the most over rated player in recent time's. I cant understand the clamber to get his signature and the wages he has been offered is ludicrous. I'll give him 6 months and he will be greetin to get back up the road.

Because he knows where the net is i would assume, now that he has gone and i am glad, but does that give us the right to assume we will automatically have the top scorer with Stokesy next season?

But to boyd opting for a lower/possibly the lowest in contract and standard of football Question. He has a possible financial once in a lifetime oportunity, or a possible once in a lifetime crack at the EPL. How does any player improve? by playing tougher opposition, so by my reckoning he has opted for the trying to a big fish in a wee pond. the standard of football in Championship is allegedly much the same as top 6 in scotland, with the OF exposed to regular champs league/europa league they are on average slightly higher standard(how many ex hibees that play for the old firm would we take back?)