PDA

View Full Version : Paraguay

Borders Hibby
03-07-2010, 07:01 PM
6 million population playing against a nation of 60 million that colonised them until 200 years ago. Come on the underdogs!:agree:

bingo70
03-07-2010, 07:05 PM
6 million population playing against a nation of 60 million that colonised them until 200 years ago. Come on the underdogs!:agree:

under normal circumstances i'd agree with you, however for the benfit of the world cup IMO it'd be better for Spain to get through.

Plus I get enough of supporting the underdog watching Hibs and Scotland without looking for the like of Paraguay to beat spain, every now and again it'd be nice to see a team win :greengrin

AFKA5814_Hibs
03-07-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm amazed Torres keeps getting picked, obviously not fit, Spain have been playing with 10 men the whole tournament.

Musselbound
03-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Pedantic point maybe but Spain pop is I think 45m at most not 60. Paraguay unlucky though. Perfectly good goal chalked off - another blunder. Who said foreign refs would improve the SPL?

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Get Pedro on and Torres off!

bingo70
03-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Get Pedro on and Torres off!

They brought Llorente (i think that was his name) on for him the other day and he looked class, what club does he play for? had never heard of him before

--------
03-07-2010, 07:43 PM
This is heading for penalties. :rolleyes:

Absolutely wretched.

Well, one penalty at least.

Ah well....

Did I say penalties? Penalty goal there, anyone? :cool2:

Spain score, ref blows, Paraguay keeper saves it.

Wooo!

marinello59
03-07-2010, 07:46 PM

Absolutely wretched.

Well that's one wretched penalty already.

bingo70
should have been 2 penalty goals :greengrin

marinello59

Absolutely wretched.

Well, one penalty at least.

Ah well....

And another................wow you are good.:agree:

--------
03-07-2010, 07:50 PM
And another................wow you are good.:agree:

Thing is, if it DOES go to a shoot-out, the way this crowd take penalties we'll still be playing next Tuesday....

AFKA5814_Hibs
03-07-2010, 07:51 PM
I don't think that penalty should have been retaken. Also should have got another penalty. At least a bit of excitement in this game.

marinello59
03-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Thing is, if it DOES go to a shoot-out, the way this crowd take penalties we'll still be playing next Tuesday....
:agree:
I would make them go with rock, paper scissors, best of five.

--------
03-07-2010, 07:56 PM
I would make them go with rock, paper scissors, best of five.

One potato, two potato, three potato, four.... :rolleyes:

Or Russian Roulette, last man standing. This is DIRE.

marinello59
03-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Or Russian Roulette, last man standing. This is DIRE.

Much more of this and I'll go first.

CB_NO3
03-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Llorente plays for Athletico Bilbao.

--------
03-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Much more of this and I'll go first.

Please go to the back of the queue.

This is like having root-canal work done without anaesthetic. You'd think they've been cloning Bobby Williamson for World Cup managers.

--------
03-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Villa 1-0 Spain.

Iniesta off the post, Villa picked up the rebound, off the same post, and across the goal into the net.

At least we shouldn't have more than 8-9 minutes to go now.....

NaeTechnoHibby
03-07-2010, 08:11 PM
OOPs! they get a goal :agree:

A bit messy but its there :bitchy:

Boring match though :bitchy:

--------
03-07-2010, 08:14 PM
OOPs! they get a goal :agree:

A bit messy but its there :bitchy:

Boring match though :bitchy:

Off one post, back to Villa, off the same post, off the other post, and in.

If this WC's a feast of all that's best in football, save me from it.

NaeTechnoHibby
03-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Off one post, back to Villa, off the same post, off the other post, and in.

If this WC's a feast of all that's best in football, save me from it.

Who would have said "bring oan the Germans" for entertainment :rolleyes:

Holland v Germany final for me :agree:

--------
03-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Who would have said "bring oan the Germans" for entertainment :rolleyes:

Holland v Germany final for me :agree:

Uruguay-Spain might be a truly memorable spectacle.... :rolleyes:

bingo70
03-07-2010, 08:23 PM

Think your being a bit unfair there Doddie, granted Spain have been poor tonight but they're normally class to watch.

I love the way they play plus i'd like there to be a new winner of the tournament so i'm hoping for a spain holland final

AFKA5814_Hibs
03-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Spain have to drop Torres for the semi final, he's hardly kicked a ball in the tournament. There's no way they can play with 10 men against the Germans.

bingo70
03-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Spain have to drop Torres for the semi final, he's hardly kicked a ball in the tournament. There's no way they can play with 10 men against the Germans.

Spain were much better when Fabregas came on, might just suit Torres to be an impact sub just now as well

hibsbollah
03-07-2010, 08:28 PM

It might be. Uruguay have played well so far and have two of the best strikers in world football.

Id guess it'll be the Germany-Holland grudge match final though.

CropleyWasGod
03-07-2010, 08:30 PM
It might be. Uruguay have played well so far and have two of the best strikers in world football.

Id guess it'll be the Germany-Holland grudge match final though.

Suarez is suspended though.

Musselbound
03-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Now seems to be sheer bloody-mindedness from Del Bosque to persist with Torres. He has been woeful all tournament yet starts every game. He must be desperate for Torres to score to prove a point now but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Llorente comes on and helps turn the match against Portugal then doesn't get a look in.

Plenty of incident second half with the missed pens but another disappointing match in a disappointing tournament. Most memorable thing has been some shocking refereeing of which there was more tonight. Spain are going to have to up their game against Germany and I never thought I'd see myself at the semis of a WC thinking Germany deserve to win it.

Musselbound
03-07-2010, 08:37 PM

Spain were much better when Fabregas came on, might just suit Torres to be an impact sub just now as well

Or a non-impact sub. He simply hasn't looked match fit all tournament.

bingo70
03-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Now seems to be sheer bloody-mindedness from Del Bosque to persist with Torres. He has been woeful all tournament yet starts every game. He must be desperate for Torres to score to prove a point now but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Llorente comes on and helps turn the match against Portugal then doesn't get a look in.

Plenty of incident second half with the missed pens but another disappointing match in a disappointing tournament. Most memorable thing has been some shocking refereeing of which there was more tonight. Spain are going to have to up their game against Germany and I never thought I'd see myself at the semis of a WC thinking Germany deserve to win it.

Spain have arguably been the best team in the world in recent years and one of the reasons for that has been the Torres-Villa combination, of course he's going to have faith in him coming good, for all Torres has had a terrible world cup he wouldn't be the first striker to need a goal to get going.

I think he'll drop him now though, the Germans are too good to gamble against and Fabregas made too much of a difference when he came on not to change things for the next game.

BTW i still fancy the spanish against germany, no way they'll let Schweinsteger dominate the game the way the English and argentina did

bingo70
03-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Suarez is suspended though.

He's talking about a possible Spain Uraguay final though, if they get through Suarez will be back for the final

CropleyWasGod
03-07-2010, 08:42 PM
He's talking about a possible Spain Uraguay final though, if they get through Suarez will be back for the final

I could pretend that I think Suarez is going to be suspended for the final too.... as was mentioned earlier.

In truth, though, I'm just being a prat. :rolleyes:

heretoday
03-07-2010, 08:47 PM
I can't believe Spain will play that badly again so I reckon they will go on to win the Cup.

bingo70
03-07-2010, 08:51 PM
I can't believe Spain will play that badly again so I reckon they will go on to win the Cup.

Against the better teams they're likely to get a bit more space in attack as well, I think they'll beat Germany and go on to win it now as well

Musselbound
03-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Spain have arguably been the best team in the world in recent years and one of the reasons for that has been the Torres-Villa combination, of course he's going to have faith in him coming good, for all Torres has had a terrible world cup he wouldn't be the first striker to need a goal to get going.

I think he'll drop him now though, the Germans are too good to gamble against and Fabregas made too much of a difference when he came on not to change things for the next game.

BTW i still fancy the spanish against germany, no way they'll let Schweinsteger dominate the game the way the English and argentina did

Agree with much of that but Villa has had an outstanding WC while Torres has offered next to nothing. Imagine what Villa might do with a bit of the pressure taken off him by another dangerous attacker. Spain have one of the best squads in world football so for me this peristence with Torres for so long is only putting their bid in danger when another player such as Fabregas or even Llorente could offer much more.

I'm not sure how it will go against Germany. Spain have come through some tight games so that might work in their favour but at the same time they've failed to get a real grip in midfield against Chile and Paraguay until they've gone ahead. If Germany get off to one of their flying starts, I'm not convinced this particular Spanish team has enough in the locker to come back.

bingo70
03-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Agree with much of that but Villa has had an outstanding WC while Torres has offered next to nothing. Imagine what Villa might do with a bit of the pressure taken off him by another dangerous attacker. Spain have one of the best squads in world football so for me this peristence with Torres for so long is only putting their bid in danger when another player such as Fabregas or even Llorente could offer much more.

I'm not sure how it will go against Germany. Spain have come through some tight games so that might work in their favour but at the same time they've failed to get a real grip in midfield against Chile and Paraguay until they've gone ahead. If Germany get off to one of their flying starts, I'm not convinced this particular Spanish team has enough in the locker to come back.

In those games though the teams were playing pretty defensively and didn't really committ players forward, paraguay were absolutely terrific tonight in working hard, hunting in packs (as JC would say) and get men behind the ball quickly, the germans won't play like that, they'll fancy there chances on going head to head with the Spanish and in games like that i think i'd fancy the Spanish against anyone

AFKA5814_Hibs
03-07-2010, 08:58 PM

I think it shows how good a squad Spain have they have managed to get to the Semis whilst carrying a player throughout the whole tournament. But I don't think they can do it any longer.

Jumbo
03-07-2010, 09:46 PM
I could pretend that I think Suarez is going to be suspended for the final too.... as was mentioned earlier.

In truth, though, I'm just being a prat. :rolleyes:

Just suspended for 1 game http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8785140.stm

AFKA5814_Hibs
03-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Just suspended for 1 game http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8785140.stm

Good. As both Shearer and Hansen admitted any professional football player would have done the same if they're being honest, though I noticed that Linekar said nought, still trying to stay with his Mr nice guy personality.:greengrin