PDA

View Full Version : Question Your Best Football Away Day

iwasthere1972
03-07-2010, 11:23 AM
For me it's a toss up between the 1972 and 2007 League Cup Finals at Hampden. I've plumped for the 1972 game played in front of a crowd of 71,000. Two great teams with big names and goals from King Paddy and Jim O'Rourke. A certain guy called Dalglish got the Celtic goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSaY75jHC-4

2-1 for the Hibees and brilliant celebrations in Edinburgh later that night. I was sober too as I was far too young to get in the pub.

What's your best away day? Some of you I guess will have been too pashed to remember others (such as Doddie and Jonnyboy etc) will probably be able to give a full match report, team line-ups and score as well as how much the pie and bovril were.

Cheers. :agree:

Geo_1875
03-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Was at the 72 final and great day though it was, my enduring memory is of how ****ing wet I got as I spent most of the game ankle deep in water at the back of the Huns end of Hampden. I was too young to drink as well but still did.

SmokieJoe
03-07-2010, 11:35 AM
My best away day was Liege, the result was devastating, the game was great, the goal that beat us was a 40yrd epic strike. the fun started after the game, we 'bumped into' Goram,Kaneo, Mickey Weir etc on a precinct at 2am if i remember correctly. we got back to the hotel at who knows what time and slept in the next day, missed a train to get to Oostende, then missed the ferry we were meant to get on. got back to dover to see the train we were meant to get on still sitting there, with no windows left in it! we got back to London and had missed our over night bus back to Edinburgh., so we had to rough it in London over night, a truely mad experience for my first venture out of the country!

Was it just me my brother and my cousin that had the same time of it? let me know

NAE NOOKIE
03-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Probably the 1992 and 2007 cup finals coz of the result, but for just having a good laugh and for the superb away support it would be Bolton v Hibs last year.

MSK
03-07-2010, 11:42 AM
I enjoyed away days when me & my Brother jumped on football special trains to the likes of Dundee, Motherwell etc ..certainly an adventure when we were kids ...Libby travel was an eye opener too when we started going to away games by bus...:crazy:...:greengrin

The Skol cup final win & the League cup final win over Killie will always be up there but i would have to say my most enjoyable were trips to Tynecastle ...the Archibald game & the one Hunter scored the winner were my favourites, although we had many more enjoyable games after those it was them two games that me & my Brother always seem to blether about when we get together ..:party:

H18sry
03-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Trinidad Jan 2000, eating pigs trotters and chickens feet in a bar outside the stadium was something to behold, going up to said bar for a beer and the bar tender being behind a wire fence with just enough space to pass the bottle of Carib through has to be seen to be believed. :wink:

Hibs90
03-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Waits patiently for .sean. to post. :greengrin

Ross4356
03-07-2010, 11:52 AM
CIS cup win against Kili for me

Nameless
03-07-2010, 12:23 PM
There have been many memorable aways, but the year we played Dundee Utd on boxing day, circa 05/06 I think. We took about 5000 up that day, and I was there with my 2 best mates. From the moment we got on the train in the morning, the whole day was almost perfect. Great bevy, great banter, great game, great atmosphere plus loads of other memories of the stupid stuff we got up to. It was almost a perfect storm of circumstances that made that day one that I doubt will ever be beaten.

Diclonius
03-07-2010, 12:50 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8033673.stm

HibeeMcGinn1
03-07-2010, 01:18 PM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

was looking for him i must say.

My favourites would definatly be QOS away in the cup in 07. Another fav was Inverness away about 2 seasons back. Cant remember what time it was but we went up on the Dalkieth bus and left very early. Didnt drink though :devil:

Went to Blackpool for the weekend last year for the Bolton fixture which was fantastic. I know it isnt a day trip but I thought id tell you anyway. :wink:
Blackburn on the Wednesday night was great aswell.

JohnScott
03-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Far too many to mention! Loved liege and like SmokeyJoe remember that night well. The ball hit the back of the net, rolling out to the turning Goram who at that moment thought it had struck the woodwork. One of the best goals I've ever seen, up there with Arthur Duncan's at Ayr in the cup. We were still singing half an hour after the game with local's playing Scotland the Brave on the terracing next to us.
Had a great night out after as well in the local pub's. We ended up in a club and had Liege fans coming up to us to shake our hands. Would love another trip to Belgium!

My first visit to Ibrox in the 70's would rank as the most memorable and there's a certain gent on this thread was there with me. We had travelled from Peebles to catch a supporters bus from the Grassmarket. As the bus pulled into the pub at Harthhill it conked out. To cut a long story short we arrived at Ibrox with 20 minutes of the match to go, a wee bit more than half-cut! Lets just say it's true about Dutch Courage. Without thought about eight of us ran up the steps of what is now the Broomloan to cry's of "ya dirty fenian ********!" Getting to the top we walked down onto the terracing, colours showing, where we stood surrounded by thousands of Bears. They just looked at us like we were mental. I suppose we were! With 5 minutes to go though we were sobering up pretty quick and starting to realise where the **** we were. Scraves started to disappear as we edged back near the top and as the final whistle blew we quickly (and very quietly) made our way out and back to our bus. Next visit we made it in time and took our place in the relative safety of the main stand enclosure.

As far as away days are concerned that one day at Ibrox was trully memorable.

Franck is God
03-07-2010, 05:06 PM
2-1 at Tynie with Archie getting the second was amazing that fact that we did it playing with ten men for the majority of the game too. In fact any win at Tyncastle!

3-0 to Hibs at Ibrox in the cup game, we were brilliant that day.

1-0 against Rangers at Hampden in the league cup semi in 92. Keith, Keith, Keith...

Winning 6-1 at Motherwell was I think the best away performance I've ever seen and for that alone deserves a mention.

Standing on the small terrace at Stirling Albion in a cup match unable to see the goal at the other end because of fog and not seeing the winner was a great memory. Then meeting Mixu after the game picking up his chinese from the Ping On in Stockbridge, congratulating him for setting up the winner only for him to tell me and my mate that it was him that scored finnished off the day perfectly...

Even after all the away games I've been to over the last 30 years and sadly not nearly enough of them being wins a wintery day in March 2007 is what being a Hibs fan is all about. A moment of true joy without prior expectation, I have been and will be a Hibs fan my whole life and days like that make it all worth while.

.Sean.
03-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Sorry for the late post mate, just i've been out bevvying since eleven eh. Haddy Show, ken :greengrin

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

was looking for him i must say.

My favourites would definatly be QOS away in the cup in 07. Another fav was Inverness away about 2 seasons back. Cant remember what time it was but we went up on the Dalkieth bus and left very early. Didnt drink though :devil:

Went to Blackpool for the weekend last year for the Bolton fixture which was fantastic. I know it isnt a day trip but I thought id tell you anyway. :wink:
Blackburn on the Wednesday night was great aswell.
You'd know Joshy. Been in some states following the Hibs over the years!!

Favourites have been Aberdeen and Inverness over the last three or four years, usually piss poor results but the days out are second to none. Inverness on the 3rd of August stands out, as it doubled up as my 18th birthday party. Was braw. Nothing better than a day away with your pals getting wrecked and watching Hibs.

Killie and Motherwell are usually cracking trips too. Like a wee jaunt up to Dundee aswell.I rarely get steaming at Celtic Park or Ibrox, as last time I did I was thrown out without warning by an over-zelous twat in a luminous jacket. Had a brand new DKNY coat over my seat, erse wouldnae even let me go back and get it :grr:

Best day out ever was Bolton last year, unbeatable. The day actually had everything you'd want really- Good mates, phenomenal banter, a humungous quantity of alcohol, a tidy bird and a hostile atmosphere inside the reebok. ''Pure teckle!!''

Carlisle should be a good day out, and i'm spending all weekend in Blackpool. Looking forward to it already, they should both be decent trips... :cool2:

:party::scarf:

Godsahibby
03-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Had many great away days but the two that stand out for.

A few of the Erin Hibs boys heading up to Abderdeen a few years ago, got absolutely pumped but the Pittodrie Bar made up for it with their hospitality!

Dublin last summer for the Shamrock Rovers game, cracking day out and witnessed the birth of the nade song!

hibsbollah
03-07-2010, 07:01 PM
3-0 to Hibs at Ibrox in the cup game, we were brilliant that day.

Thats mine as well:thumbsup: Ive never experienced a noise like it.

Hainan Hibs
03-07-2010, 07:19 PM
3-0 Cup game at Ibrox for me too. All day I had no fear, I just knew we were leaving with a win. The celebrations following the goals were something else!

Favourite moment was 5000+ Hibs fans doing a Hibees bounce and then watching Hun after hun after hun get chucked out for going utter RADGE at us all chanting "We are the people" :greengrin

Si_17
03-07-2010, 07:28 PM
3-0 at Ibrox in the cup for me too. Hiding the grin as we waited in the queue for the underground was difficult.:greengrin

hibsbollah
03-07-2010, 07:40 PM
3-0 Cup game at Ibrox for me too. All day I had no fear, I just knew we were leaving with a win. The celebrations following the goals were something else!

Favourite moment was 5000+ Hibs fans doing a Hibees bounce and then watching Hun after hun after hun get chucked out for going utter RADGE at us all chanting "We are the people" :greengrin

I think it was around 7000. The broomloan stand was actually moving up and down at one point:greengrin

davcar
03-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Agree with JohnScott and SmokieJoe re Liege was my first trip abroad with the Hibees and certainly won't be forgotten.:top marks

The other away days would be the team that wouldn't die lift the Skol cup at Hampden, after going to all the ties that year (think all were away) inc away days to Ayr and Killie and not forgetting that semi at hampden against the Gers before beating Dunfermline all these nights were great.:thumbsup:

tanfield
03-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Best away day for me was at killie in the cup 2001 when mcmanus scored in the last minute. Early morning start at waverley set the tone for the day!

Ginger Gehagan
03-07-2010, 08:57 PM
:thumbsup:3.1 at Parkhead when Ivan came on and scored then Scott Brown got the 3rd goal 2 minutes later. Got kept in for a ten minute sing song after the match, magic!

Pete
03-07-2010, 09:26 PM
I think it was around 7000. The broomloan stand was actually moving up and down at one point:greengrin

A few people around me were starting to panic because they'd never felt a stand move like that before...cheap weegie construction.

That game was my favourite away day too. Almost perfect from start to finish.

The "McLeish out" demonstration after the match just topped it off.

Bostonhibby
03-07-2010, 09:56 PM
The short hop to PBS one New Years Day 1973 with a couple of my daft mates and one of their Yam suporting big brothers. Been all over the place with Hibs since and plenty stories to tell and memories to look back on, but this one stands out as every single memory is about what I saw on the pitch.

CropleyWasGod
03-07-2010, 09:58 PM
The short hop to PBS one New Years Day 1973 with a couple of my daft mates and one of their Yam suporting big brothers. Been all over the place with Hibs since and plenty stories to tell and memories to look back on, but this one stands out as every single memory is about what I saw on the pitch.

What was the score? :confused:

Bostonhibby
03-07-2010, 10:15 PM
What was the score? :confused:

Its written on my programme or I would never have remembered, I know we stopped at 7 as thats all we needed at the time. Hope this helps, but if you want to check it for yourself I think these are examples of what happened. wink:

CropleyWasGod
03-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Its written on my programme or I would never have remembered, I know we stopped at 7 as thats all we needed at the time. Hope this helps, but if you want to check it for yourself I think these are examples of what happened. wink:

Wow.

This place is such a good source of information.

Thank you.

AFKA5814_Hibs
03-07-2010, 10:23 PM
The best away trip I've ever had was the 3-0 win against Videoton in Hungary, that was a brilliant trip. :thumbsup:

The best away result was when we beat the Huns 1-0 in the Skol Cup Semi at Hampden in 1991. Nobody gave Hibs an earthling of a chance in that game.

Bostonhibby
03-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Wow.

This place is such a good source of information.

Thank you.

Of course, as you can see, we were a lot faster in those days. We scored the first 5 in less than 30 seconds on the screen I picked these ones from.

PS. The ones in the dark red tops were the big team in Edinburgh at the time. They had a terrific full back

The Harp
03-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Like most on here, there's been so many memorable days out watching the Hibees. Apart from the celebrations of league cup wins, some of my best times have been going up to Aberdeen wi' the St Giles branch in the 60's.
One in particular stands out, when we took three off them and were celebrating later in the evening in the East Neuk pub (in those days our bus stayed in Aberdeen 'til midnight) . Much dancing on tables was going on and the place erupted when Colin Stein (who was still playing for us) came in. Can remember belting out Len Barry's, appropriately named, hit of the time 'One Two Three.'
Happy days! :thumbsup:

hibsfan7
03-07-2010, 11:06 PM
2007 cis cup final was the best for me it was 5-1 going on 10-1

just a superb day all round

Steve-O
04-07-2010, 12:10 AM
Many of the favourites have already been mentioned but also...

Hamilton 0-2 Hibs - at Firhill to win Division 1. "Can fans please stay off the pitch at full time" said the tannoy...full time whistle goes = mass pitch invasion :greengrin

Rangers 0-3 Hibs - Sproule hattrick. My first win at Ibrox after around 12 years of trying IIRC.

Dundee Utd 2-3 Hibs - Scottish Cup when Brebner scored a hattrick! Good day oot that one.

Hearts 2-2 Hibs - possibly the last genuine new years day game? Duff Jimmy in charge, they were 2 up in about 5 minutes and I feared the worst...cue a cracking second half comeback...Andy Walker(!) and Pat McGinlay with the goals!

7Hero
04-07-2010, 12:34 AM
apart form the 2 cup finals and the semi final against rangers which werre quite possibly the greatest away days ever, i have to say the next closest thing and thus deserving of a reply to this post was watching scotland beat france 1nil in paris with the mcfadden goal, that was quite amazing...

HibbiesandtheBaddies
04-07-2010, 01:33 AM
Best recent away day was the O'Connor/Shiels 2-1 at Swinie. Roseburn was tonto.

Sandy
04-07-2010, 06:04 AM
CIS final was awesome. But for a full day out it was the 3-0 cup hammering of the Huns at Ipox. Train from Aberdeen at 0700, cue plenty of drink, a certain forum admin was with me for this one. Into Glasgow a couple of beers then onto the clockwork orange, surrounded by Huns and I decided to start singing 'hail hail the Hibs are here', to be fair they took it as good banter. Broomloan bouncing, then a walk back to a bar, few more bevies, and the train trip north. The certain admin singing (all the time) number one was Ivan Sproule.......... etc etc etc, all the way to Aberdeen. Bouncing into Frankensteins pub on Union street and being told to 'keep it down' by the manager (another good Hibby and poster on .net). and then home for more bevvy. Lost my voice for 2 days afterwards (much to my wife's relief).

hibeesdude
04-07-2010, 08:10 AM
hmm loads of vague memories but honourable mentions to a sunny away day to morton loads of scrumpy and a wee visit to the club bar
dundee and a game of footie in pub car park, dundee with a broken ankle..
but "liberton travel hibs supporters club":rockin: legendary trip to clydebank with 102 people on a 42 seater coach. people lying in luggage racks stands out amongst them

HibbyAndy
04-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Lots of classic away days.

Tannadice 4-1 boxing day under Mowbray, We took well in excess of 4k that day, Gave them a dooin.

Pinkcastle 99, Pumped them 3-0 and if it wasnt for Niemi it would have been far greater.

Killie scottish cup 1-0. Mcmanus stoater of a heider in the last minute.

Motherwell 6-1, Nuff said.

Pinkcaste 1988, Archibald scoring and the hibs end going ***** radge in the pissin rain.

Huns 1985, Skol cup lost 1-0 but went through 2-1 on Agg.

Could really go oan and oan but ill no.

we are hibs
04-07-2010, 08:23 AM
:thumbsup:3.1 at Parkhead when Ivan came on and scored then Scott Brown got the 3rd goal 2 minutes later. Got kept in for a ten minute sing song after the match, magic!

when we won 6-1 at motherwell

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Got to agree with 7hero re all the games mentioned. The atmosphere in Paris was amazing, rare occasions like that make it all worthwhile, be it Hibs or Scotland. Although it was a shocker of a result Dnipro was a magic trip too!

SteveHFC
04-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Bolton
Dublin
Dnipro
Essen
Aberdeen-Last Season
Galbraith Winner
18th March 2007
Inverness

.Sean.
04-07-2010, 11:41 AM
I've added my favourite trips earlier in the thread, though I must add my favourite game is the semi V the Huns when we beat them on penalties!!

seanraff07
04-07-2010, 01:32 PM
For me.. outwith the Killie final, it would have to be the 1-0 win at Tynie when Riordan scored that penalty in the 79th minute. What an atmosphere that night, 2000 Hibbys outsinging 15000 Yams the whole game, utter class.

I also enjoyed the 1-1 draw with Rangers at Ibrox last season, the celebrations after Stokes scored goal of the season was just fantastic.:thumbsup:

SmokieJoe
04-07-2010, 02:57 PM
I've added my favourite trips earlier in the thread, though I must add my favourite game is the semi V the Huns when we beat them on penalties!!

Agreed, i was there with my big bro, atmos was incredible, how many of that team have gone that you would take back in an instant:greengrin