PDA

View Full Version : Taking One For the Team

Greentinted
02-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Suarez gets himself sent off for deliberately fouling in the box. Ultimately his team win through because of this illegal act. Instantly I was reminded of Dave Beaumont's inability to impose this single-mindedness in a certain game against Hearts.
While I normally advocate absolute fair play, this is one of the few exceptions where foul play is justified.

CB_NO3
02-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Suarez gets himself sent off for deliberately fouling in the box. Ultimately his team win through because of this illegal act. Instantly I was reminded of Dave Beaumont's inability to impose this single-mindedness in a certain game against Hearts.
While I normally advocate absolute fair play, this is one of the few exceptions where foul play is justified.
It was justified. I am gutted though, I had Ghana in the sweep in the pub and was set to win £35 for being in the semis. One kick away after two goal line clearences and I lost. Thats Football for you.

sh00byd00
02-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Got to love all this **** tbh. Had that been Rooney, he'd have been a hero - no question.

Almost every footballer would have done the same. Truthfully if a Hibs player had done that in the Scottish Cup final against Hearts would any Hibs fan feel disgusted?

The player in question would be a hero ffs. Took one for the team and all that ****!

AFKA5814_Hibs
02-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Had to laugh when the panel was saying it was cheating. Guaranteed EVERY single player would do the same in the same situation, bet Townsend, Desailly and Southgate have at least attempted to do the same thing themselves. At the end of the day, they had a penalty to win the game.

I have Uruguay in my works sweepstake along with the Argies and Spain, so was delighted when they missed the penalty. :thumbsup:

bingo70
02-07-2010, 09:40 PM

:agree:

Suarez had to do it, fair play or not.

Wonder if FIFA will look at introducing something like the penalty tries you get in rugby, TBH i hadn't even thought of that until tonights game but i think something really should be done to stop this kind of thing

marinello59
02-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Fair play? Romance? I must be a soft git. Heartbroken for Ghana. If we justify cheating the games bust.

Onceinawhile
Thought he could have headered it.

He has ruined my bet. Prick.

sh00byd00
Fair do's. I think this is one of the few instances when a penalty goal should be awarded.

Absolutely disgraceful.

This isn't Rugby, it's football. Why not implement a rule where the keeper has two attempts to boot the ball over the half way line and if he fails twice, the other team gets a foul goal?

bingo70
02-07-2010, 09:45 PM
This isn't Rugby, it's football. Why not implement a rule where the keeper has two attempts to boot the ball over the half way line and if he fails twice, the other team gets a foul goal?

because that would be stupid

Greentinted
02-07-2010, 09:46 PM
I think the timing had a lot to do with Suarez's decision to handball. Apart from a sending-off (with no further time to play and a suspension which will be null and void should Uruguay reach the final) he really had not much to lose.
And aye, a penalty goal award would certainly make a huge difference to the 'percentages' fouling displayed by the Uruguay number 9.
One thing that doesn't sit well is that he will be lauded as a hero in his home purely for his cheatery!

ronaldo7
02-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Saurez will be delighted that he handled the ball to give his team a chance in the last minute of the game. Many guys would do the same.

He will be a hero in Uruguay:agree:

Nakedmanoncrack
02-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Recall John Collins doing something similar, and getting away with it :wink:
Netherlands 0-0 Scotland, Euro 96.

sh00byd00
02-07-2010, 09:55 PM

Just as stupid as implementing a penalty goal rule. The guy got a red card and a penalty against his team, not punishment enough? Gotta love knee-jerk reactions especially when they're against everyones favourite team - Ghana.

If a Hibs player had done that we'd be calling him a hero not coming onto a internet message board shedding a few faux tears.

Edinburgh Green
02-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Could of easily headed it. His first instinct was to cheat, pathetic!

One Day Soon
02-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Saurez will be delighted that he handled the ball to give his team a chance in the last minute of the game. Many guys would do the same.

He will be a hero in Uruguay:agree:

Utterly gutted for Ghana. Uruguayan cheating 5h1ts - always have been, always will be. Mexico 1986, kicked us off the park ruthlessly so tonight was no surprise at all.

bingo70
Just as stupid as implementing a penalty goal rule. The guy got a red card and a penalty against his team, not punishment enough? Gotta love knee-jerk reactions especially when they're against everyones favourite team - Ghana.

If a Hibs player had done that we'd be calling him a hero not coming onto a internet message board shedding a few faux tears.

Implimenting your rule would be miles more stupid than mine.

I think the player was right to do it, i think the rules shouldn't allow him to be a hero for it though.

A red card meant nothing tonight and neither did the penalty, i'm not suggesting penalty goals for things that might lead to a goal i'm talking about specifically handling the ball on the line, just because there's a rule in another sport doesn't mean it'd be a bad rule for football.

BTW i wanted Ghana to get beat because of the bias shown by the commentators, i've no idea why there was such support of Ghana in this country :confused:

Sweep
Well I think its time the rule was changed. goal given, player sent off. they say cheats never win?:bitchy:

Onceinawhile
02-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Thought he could have headered it.

He has ruined my bet. Prick.

sh00byd00
02-07-2010, 10:03 PM
if he could have knowingly headed it and been 100% certain that he could have headed it, he would have headed it i would have assumed. I suspect when a ball is flying towards you quickly, at close quarters things aren't so simple.

AFKA5814_Hibs
02-07-2010, 10:06 PM

It's no more cheating than a defender who handles the ball in his own penalty box and plays on as if he didn't, or the German goalkeeper who knew the ball had went over the line but played on. :wink:

Players attempt to handle on the line all the time, you'll see Hibs players doing it next season, but the majority of ocassions they're just too slow and don't manage to keep the ball from going over the line.

Sir David Gray
02-07-2010, 10:06 PM
In situations like that, there has to be some sort of rule whereby a "penalty goal" can be awarded.

The shot was clearly going in and Suarez deliberately stopped it on the line with his hand. He took the chance and it paid off as Ghana missed the last minute penalty.

FIFA should change the rules to allow a team to score a "penalty goal" when they have an obvious goal stopped illegally by a handball on the line. That way a goal would be awarded and the offending player would be sent off.

Uruguay are effectively into the semi-finals because one of their players cheated.

And no I'm not saying that anyone else would have acted any differently to Suarez. I don't blame him for doing what he did, he chanced his arm (excuse the pun) and it worked. OK, he'll miss the semi-final against Holland now but if his team manages to beat them, he'll appear in the World Cup final. If he hadn't stopped that ball with his hand, none of the Uruguay team would have been appearing in the semis, never mind the final.

If players knew that, if they stopped the ball on the goal line with their hand/arm, their team would concede a goal as well as them being sent off, they might think twice about doing it.

James.
02-07-2010, 10:07 PM
First off it was a never a free kick leading up to the incident, so you could say it was a bit of justice :agree: Saurez got a red and Ghana got a penalty which they missed. Some of you are worse than the ridiculously biased ITV pundits that were on tonight. Cheating is too strong a word for what was probably just human instinct.

Well done Uruguay.

sh00byd00
02-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Implimenting your rule would be miles more stupid than mine.

I think the player was right to do it, i think the rules shouldn't allow him to be a hero for it though.

A red card meant nothing tonight and neither did the penalty, i'm not suggesting penalty goals for things that might lead to a goal i'm talking about specifically handling the ball on the line, just because there's a rule in another sport doesn't mean it'd be a bad rule for football.

BTW i wanted Ghana to get beat because of the bias shown by the commentators, i've no idea why there was such support of Ghana in this country :confused:

Why because it's your rule?

ok forget the rules et al, what i can't get my head around is why anyone would say the penalty meant nothing? Of course the penalty meant something. After all, the whole point to a penalty spot kick is to give the attacking team a huge advantage.

The odds are stacked in favour of the penalty taker not the keeper.

bingo70
02-07-2010, 10:11 PM
First off it was a never a free kick leading up to the incident, so you could say it was a bit of justice :agree: Saurez got a red and Ghana got a penalty which they missed. Some of you are worse than the ridiculously biased ITV pundits that were on tonight. Cheating is too strong a word for what was probably just human instinct.

Well done Uruguay.

Can i just say that despite the fact i think FIFA could look at a penalty goal for this kind of thing i actually agree with you, i wouldn't call him a cheat and i think it was human instinct, everyone would have done it if they wouldn't they should have a word with themselves.

If you were talking about me, being compared to an ITV pundit has just ruined my life, hope your happy :wink:

Lix
02-07-2010, 10:15 PM
My instinct on watching it was - woo! that was like John Collins in 1996.
For reasons I can't argue with, Ghana were faves of the media and elsewhere today .... so it hurt like a £$%% when they lost like that.

I love the way they play football.

But just cos Uruguay have history and Forlan never made it at Man U there has been a lot of negativity against them.

For the record, I like Uruguay -amazing country - and Forlan has been immense this season for Atletico Madrid.

But the decision was right - sending off, penalty, Ghana should've won.

But they ****ed it.

Get over it ...

Jonnyboy
02-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Fair play? Romance? I must be a soft git. Heartbroken for Ghana. If we justify cheating the games bust.

Agreed 100%

signed

Another soft git

Hibby Bairn
02-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Ghana...Africa....blah....blah...blah. Better team won imo. Well done Uruguay. They have had a great WC and deserve their place in the semis.

Ryan91
02-07-2010, 10:18 PM

Well done Uruguay.

I find myself agreeing with you for the most part here, I will admit I think that it is in a sense cheating, but what he did was take one for the team. People really ought to think of it from a Uruguayan point of view, he did something which gave his team a chance, of course it could have completely backfired and Ghana could have won but it didn't so in a sense justice was indeed served.

Sweep
02-07-2010, 10:18 PM

:top marks

--------
02-07-2010, 10:21 PM

Well done Uruguay.

That was my feeling - the free-kick was soft to say the least and IMO the handling offence was instinctive rather than calculated. It was an infringement, and Suarez and Uruguay suffered the punishment stipulated in the laws of the game.

I'm not in favour of the award of a penalty goal in these situations - this was relatively clear-cut as Suarez was the last man and standing on the goal-line, so the ball would definitely have gone in. I can imagine lots of other instances occurring where things wouldn't be nearly as clearly-defined.

And Andy Townsend trying to claim the moral high ground? Give it a rest. :faf:

Besides, for some reason I don't quite understand myself, I've always had a soft spot for Uruguay.... :devil:

marinello59
02-07-2010, 10:28 PM
IMO the handling offence was instinctive rather than calculated. It was an infringement, and Suarez and Uruguay suffered the punishment stipulated in the laws of the game.

Watch it again Doddie. He knew what he was doing. I do agree with you, he did suffer the correct punishment. Unfortunately timing is all, still unfair.
What I find sad is those trying to justify his actions. 2011 Scottish Cup Final. Hearts deny Hibs a goal in the same circumstances. Justified then?

James.
02-07-2010, 10:36 PM
What I find sad is those trying to justify his actions.

Can you justify the free kick or can you justify why offside wasn't given against Appiah when the ball is initially flicked on? Both of these facts were glossed over tonight by our so called experts at the game.

Fact is that Saurez got his marching orders for wrongly handling the ball. He cheated no one.

Pete
02-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Watch it again Doddie. He knew what he was doing. I do agree with you, he did suffer the correct punishment. Unfortunately timing is all, still unfair.
What I find sad is those trying to justify his actions. 2011 Scottish Cup Final. Hearts deny Hibs a goal in the same circumstances. Justified then?

It's the same set of rules for both teams...it worked in Uruguays favour and that's just the way it is.

To go down the "penalty goal" route is a dangerous one. Who decides these matters and how long will it take to decide? There are some incidents that have been analysed time and time again by replay and everyone is still undecided.

AFKA5814_Hibs
02-07-2010, 10:43 PM

I'd be more peeved off with the Hibs player who balloons the penalty over the bar than the Yam who handled on the line.

If a Hibs player denied a Hearts player in the 2011 Scottish Cup Final, justified?:wink:

So much being made over something any player would do in the same circumstances.

Sergey
02-07-2010, 10:44 PM

The rules are the rules. He broke the rules and took the punishment.

It wasn't in the spirit of fair play, admittedly, but don't kid yourself the the game today is played in such bonhomie and good-heartedness.

Every player and country to a man are cheating, conning pheckers.

Pete
02-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Can you justify the free kick or can you justify why offside wasn't given against Appiah when the ball is initially flicked on? Both of these facts were glossed over tonight by our so called experts at the game.

Fact is that Saurez got his marching orders for wrongly handling the ball. He cheated no one.

I think people are being a bit harsh on the "experts". That was one hell of a game and it was hard not to get caught up in it all...the panel are only human and it's the human reactions from the panel that make it interesting and watchable. They are ex-pro footballers out of the top drawer and their opinion/reaction to such games is worth more than some robotic figure who's sole purpose is to give an unbiased viewpoint before anything else.

DH1875
02-07-2010, 11:18 PM

Well done Uruguay.

:top marks SPOT ON.

Hainan Hibs
02-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Got to agree that the free kick leading up to the incident was very soft.

If that had been me for Scotland (I wish:greengrin) I would've done the exact same thing. Take the hit, give the keeper a chance of keeping the resulting pen out, and give the entire team a chance in a penalty shootout. I'd expect a Hibs player or Scotland player to do the same if it meant keeping the side in the game.

Calvin
02-07-2010, 11:34 PM
I have thought about this situation long before tonight, in the context of a Hibs v Hearts final where we handball in the last minute and go on to win in the same circumstances.

It completely devalues the win and makes the game look stupid, that it rewards foul play.

In this circumstance I would be in favour of a penalty goal scenario. It's not as if goal line handballs are rife in football and wouldn't impact the game too much if the ref/assistant is certain of what he has seen.

I fail to see how replacing a 100% goal with a 70% chance of a goal is fine because it's in the rules.

mim
02-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Frankly, noone who has ever played the game would think of this as cheating.
It is a totally natural instinct to stop the ball going into your net.

I think there is a strong argument for the penalty goal idea. In fact, football can learn a great deal
from rugby union, particularly in accepting the authority of the referree.

Dunbar Hibee
02-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Suarez is a cock as far as im concerned. Absolutely gutted for Ghana, and for Asamoah Gyan in particular.

Pete
02-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Frankly, noone who has ever played the game would think of this as cheating.
It is a totally natural instinct to stop the ball going into your net.

I think there is a strong argument for the penalty goal idea. In fact, football can learn a great deal
from rugby union, particularly in accepting the authority of the referree.

If you look at the replay of the incident the other defender on the lines instant reaction is hilarious.

He should start in goal for them in the next match!

TheMentalHibees
02-07-2010, 11:45 PM
Suarez doesn't handball, the ball goes in and Ghana go 2-1 up. Into added time, that's surely the winning goal. Fair enough, the guy was sent off and Ghana got a penalty. But they miss the penalty, and the game goes to penalties, which Ghana lost.

Quite surprised at some of the reactions on here, guarantee if it was the Scottish Cup final and some boy had done the same to us at 1-1 in the last minute of extra time, their wouldn't be as lenient a view of it. If some manky Hearts ******* had done the same in the last derby, would it be accepted because "you would've done the same" and that it's "totally understandable that he would do something like that".

Whatever way you look at it, it's flagrant, disgusting cheating. It's no better than diving, which itself is a much lamented thing on this board.

Part/Time Supporter
03-07-2010, 05:43 AM
No mention yet of the absolutely stonewall penalty that Uruguay should have been given in the first half of extra time - that was disgraceful cheating by John Pantsil.

The penalty goal suggestion is ridiculous, at what point is the difference between a normal penalty and a penalty goal? Does the player still get sent off? What about more borderline handball decisions (eg Philip Lahm v Ghana or Harry Kewell v Ghana)?

If Gyan had done that at the other end he would have been the hero of the ITV studio. Muppets.

steviecarnie
03-07-2010, 06:33 AM
At the end of the day, its ghana's own fault they arent in the semi, 2 woeful penalties in the shoot out, and why why why with the critism that ball has taken all tournament for being too light, would u leather it.

Must say uruguay's last penalty - Sheer Class.

hibiedude
03-07-2010, 07:22 AM
His decision has lead his team into the semi final of the world cup

What’s there to discuss ?

I love the posts saying its a disgrace :faf:

bingo70
03-07-2010, 07:28 AM
No mention yet of the absolutely stonewall penalty that Uruguay should have been given in the first half of extra time - that was disgraceful cheating by John Pantsil.

The penalty goal suggestion is ridiculous, at what point is the difference between a normal penalty and a penalty goal? Does the player still get sent off? What about more borderline handball decisions (eg Philip Lahm v Ghana or Harry Kewell v Ghana)?

If Gyan had done that at the other end he would have been the hero of the ITV studio. Muppets.

Don't see whats ridiculous about it at all and cannae see whats difficuilt to understand about it which would mean there would be a borderline decision, if it's an obvious delibirate handball on the line with the only intention to stop a goal then i think penalty goals should be looked at, Lahms or Kewells wouldn't be as they weren't clearly delibirate.

Phil D. Rolls
03-07-2010, 07:35 AM
The stupid thing was, he could have headered it.

matty_f
03-07-2010, 07:51 AM

I have to say that if I am being perfectly honest I'd have handled it too and taken the hit, and I'd probably expect a team mate to do the same. There are hundreds of incidents in a game where players commit fouls to stop opponents getting into a position that could potentially create a goal, and it's part of the game.

As for the poster earlier that suggested the German goalkeeper may have cheated by not admitting the ball crossed the line - the German keeper had to play on as the referee had not awarded the goal. Even if the keeper told the ref it was over, the ref's decision is the one that matters, therefore the Germans are totally blameless for that one.,

Part/Time Supporter
03-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Don't see whats ridiculous about it at all and cannae see whats difficuilt to understand about it which would mean there would be a borderline decision, if it's an obvious delibirate handball on the line with the only intention to stop a goal then i think penalty goals should be looked at, Lahms or Kewells wouldn't be as they weren't clearly delibirate.

In Kewell's case the referee gave a penalty and sent Kewell off because he considered that it was deliberate handball. You're drawing a distinction between the same offence, which is nonsensical.

Part/Time Supporter
03-07-2010, 08:14 AM
As for the poster earlier that suggested the German goalkeeper may have cheated by not admitting the ball crossed the line - the German keeper had to play on as the referee had not awarded the goal. Even if the keeper told the ref it was over, the ref's decision is the one that matters, therefore the Germans are totally blameless for that one.,

Why? There was nothing to stop Neuer kicking the ball out of play and then tell the referees that it was a goal. Neuer knowingly took advantage of a wrong decision to the benefit of his team, which is surely the definition of cheating.

In my book that is worse than what Suarez did. Suarez committed an offence and was punished for it. He didn't try to injure an opponent - he merely took the logical course of action in the situation. He didn't even try to deceive the referee, unlike (for example) Steven Taylor's ridiculous reaction after he handled a goalbound shot in a Newcastle v Villa match a few years ago (the one where Bowyer and Dyer ended up fighting).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl3HnU0HOhk

Part/Time Supporter
03-07-2010, 08:15 AM

Maybe, but it would have been an awkward header with no guarantee of keeping the ball out of the goal.

matty_f
03-07-2010, 08:25 AM
Why? There was nothing to stop Neuer kicking the ball out of play and then tell the referees that it was a goal. Neuer knowingly took advantage of a wrong decision to the benefit of his team, which is surely the definition of cheating.

In my book that is worse than what Suarez did. Suarez committed an offence and was punished for it. He didn't try to injure an opponent - he merely took the logical course of action in the situation. He didn't even try to deceive the referee, unlike (for example) Steven Taylor's ridiculous reaction after he handled a goalbound shot in a Newcastle v Villa match a few years ago (the one where Bowyer and Dyer ended up fighting).

If Neuer did kick the ball out, the referee couldn't change his decision - he and his linesman have said that no goal was scored, so it's irrelevant what Neuer does or says.

By the same token, if the boy that handled the ball last night had gotten away with it, then come clean to the referee immediately afterwards, the ref wouldn't have been able to do anything about it.

heretoday
03-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Ghana had the chance to win it with the penalty and they blew it. That's football.

What's depressing is the predictable reaction of the pundits and Mr Angries in the media.

I can guarantee Desailly would have handled the ball. No question!

And as for all the "Why don't they have penalty goals etc" ideas - just get on with the game and belt up!

H18sry
03-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Take one for the team :rolleyes: anybody who plays football would do the same if they were in the same situation, and anybody who say's the would not is not a team player. :wink:

.Sean.
03-07-2010, 09:00 AM
I'm sure i'm not the only one who read the thread titled and thought that Greentinted ****ged the one fatty in the group of tidy birds?

:wink:

Jack
03-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Its just a part of the win/dont loose at all costs thats been rife throughout this World Cup. All 32 teams have been at it.

Caversham Green
03-07-2010, 09:07 AM

It's unlikely that Neuer knew that the ball had crossed the line - he was flying through the air facing the other way when it happened. If he had known and did what you suggest would he not be guilty of dissent, even though it favoured the opposition? If so, the ref would have had to book him.

On the handball argument, I feel that the rules should be designed to deter players from breaking them, so preventing a certain goal by cheating should be punished by awarding a goal. No advantage from cheating, so no point in doing it. At the same time, the penalty for handling anywhere else on the field is a booking, so that should be enough on the goal line as well.

The weak free kick award and stonewaller at the other end are different incidents - two wrongs don't make a right. As for the Harry Kewell incident, the referee decided it was deliberate handball (rightly or wrongly) so the same rules would apply - football ain't always fair but the rules should try to make it as fair as possible.

As it stands, we have one side feeling cheated and the other side treating a player who cheated as a hero - that just seems wrong to me. Having said all that, I would have done exactly the same as Suarez as the rules stand.

Franck is God
03-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Don't understand why people think its cheating.

Cheating is trying to get away with something illegal or wrong on the sly, Suarez didn't do that, he knew that he would get sent off, it was the last second of the match his team were going out if he hadn't stopped it going in and by handling the ball he gave his side one last slim chance to stay in the tournament.

If a similar thing happens next year when Hibs are playing in a cup competition and our player doesn't do everything he possibly can to stop the opposition scoring I will be raging.

I say well done for doing it and congratulations Uruguay for going through!

steviecarnie
03-07-2010, 10:08 AM
FIFA have literally just announced Suarez could miss the final too, which is highly unfair, he just done what any player would've. Fifa are unhappy at him celebrating the miss......these big wigs need to get a grip, another match ban for celebrating.:grr::grr:

also those who say he coulda headered, im not sure he could've if u take the speed of the ball in to account and how far he is away from the ball in this photo, i reckon it would flown by before got there. It also looks like the guy who scored the penalty to win it tried also, should he get a ban for intent to cheat then???

http://i45.tinypic.com/5yyhsn.jpg

calamitus
03-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Yup - I remember having no complaints about the JC handball. Like they said in Blackadder 4:

Darling: So you see, Blackadder, Field Marshall Haig is most anxious to eliminate all these German spies.
Melchett: Filthy hun weasels, fighting their dirty underhand war!
Darling: And fortunately, one of our spies...
Melchett: Splendid fellows, brave heroes risking life and limb for Blighty!

Musselbound
03-07-2010, 10:47 AM

And on the other hand, just imagine if a Hearts player did it against Hibs and the same thing happened. Or Scotland were denied advancing in a World Cup for the same reason.

I really don't think it's got much to do with faux tears, more the fact that a lot of people think this type of thing sours the game. I didn't watch this on ITV so I don't know how biased they were (probably comes down to patronising African teams at the end of the day), but I don't live in your imaginary world where everyone was backing Brazil and (all of a sudden) Ghana. Who are you 'supporting' as a matter of interest or are you totally neutral in every game? I think it's just a fact of life that people will get behind other teams to make matches more interesting since our own country isn't there.

For what it's worth, I've been pleasantly surprised by Uruguay in this World Cup but that incident puts me off and I now hope they don't make the final. It's only going to add to their long term reputation as a footballing nation of cheats and spoilers. That's a pity because on the whole that hasn't been their style in this WC. I have seen incidents in such games in Scotland. It wasn't that unusual before automatic reds were awarded for this type of thing and I'm sure I recall something similar in a Scottish or Scottish League Cup final many years ago.

I can understand Suarez decision and don't think it's as bad as a handball goal at the other end. I don't recall the Collins thing but ultimately any player might do this. But to see Suarez carried around shoulder high is taking the mickey. Ghana had their chance to kill it and didn't take it but I don't like to see a team get through on the back of this type of thing.

sh00byd00
03-07-2010, 10:59 AM
If it happened to us I'd be pissed off, if a hibs player did it, then no i wouldn't be pissed. It's as simple as that really.

So as a neutral on this occasion, i'm not going to shed faux tears over something that a) didn't involve the team i support and b) something i'd hope one of our players would do given the same set of circumstances.

According the the media because he wasn't wearing a England shirt he's automatically branded a dirty cheat.

Double standards ftw.

--------
03-07-2010, 11:29 AM

Looking at it again, you may be right.

However, consider again the 2011 Cup Final. Last minute of extra time, Hearts pressing in the Hibs penalty area, and Kyle powers in a header which Hogg punches off the line, taking the red card for the team. Hearts then miss the penalty, and we win in the shoot-out.

Hoggy - hero or villain? Discuss. :devil:

I can 100% confidently say that there would be a total absence of any sort of condemnation of Hogg on this or any other Hibs website.

Once upon a time there was an English amateur team called Corinthians who would never take a penalty kick when they were awarded one, not even when their player had been blatantly fouled when about to score, not even for clear and deliberate hand-ball in the area. They considered that to do so was beneath them - not gentlemanly or something. Unless I've missed something, Corinthians are no longer members of the Football League. I'm not sure they even exist today.

Like it or not, professional football isn't played in that spirit and it's hypocrisy to pretend that it is. Hence my disgust at Townsend and cronies trying to adopt some sort of moral high ground last night.

I have no doubt that Townsend and Desailly would have done exactly what Suarez did in the same circumstances. And if it had been West Brom in the Cup Final? Chiles would have been making all the excuses under the sun. And what would they have been saying had it been John Terry playing for England? Hmmm - let me think....

IMO the rules are adequate to deal with the situation, and don't need to be changed.

lapsedhibee
03-07-2010, 11:38 AM
According the the media because he wasn't wearing a England shirt he's automatically branded a dirty cheat.
:agree: Only foreigners cheat. Can't be emphasised enough.

Greentinted
03-07-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm sure i'm not the only one who read the thread titled and thought that Greentinted ****ged the one fatty in the group of tidy birds?

Sean, you must have psychic powers...

_hucks_
03-07-2010, 12:00 PM
For all those putting it into a Hibs context - not the way to look at it in my opinion. The best way to evaluate this is from a neutral perspective without getting caught up in all the emotion. Its the same reason that you don't have a murder victims brother on the jury during trial.
I think that it was cheating, plain and simple, but was, objectively clearly the correct thing to do. There is a good case for the rules making it so that it couldn't be the correct thing to do, ie penalty goals, but the way the rules stand now it has worked out perfectly for Suarez and Uruguay.

Part/Time Supporter
03-07-2010, 04:36 PM
It's unlikely that Neuer knew that the ball had crossed the line - he was flying through the air facing the other way when it happened. If he had known and did what you suggest would he not be guilty of dissent, even though it favoured the opposition? If so, the ref would have had to book him.

On the handball argument, I feel that the rules should be designed to deter players from breaking them, so preventing a certain goal by cheating should be punished by awarding a goal. No advantage from cheating, so no point in doing it. At the same time, the penalty for handling anywhere else on the field is a booking, so that should be enough on the goal line as well.

The weak free kick award and stonewaller at the other end are different incidents - two wrongs don't make a right. As for the Harry Kewell incident, the referee decided it was deliberate handball (rightly or wrongly) so the same rules would apply - football ain't always fair but the rules should try to make it as fair as possible.

As it stands, we have one side feeling cheated and the other side treating a player who cheated as a hero - that just seems wrong to me. Having said all that, I would have done exactly the same as Suarez as the rules stand.

Neuer said in an interview after the game that he knew it was a goal.

blackpoolhibs
03-07-2010, 04:46 PM
If it happened to us I'd be pissed off, if a hibs player did it, then no i wouldn't be pissed. It's as simple as that really.

So as a neutral on this occasion, i'm not going to shed faux tears over something that a) didn't involve the team i support and b) something i'd hope one of our players would do given the same set of circumstances.

Double standards ftw.
Spot on. :top marks

Woody1985
03-07-2010, 04:47 PM
It was a foul, like any other foul. He was punished by the laws of the game and it resulted in a penalty.

Yes, not great sportsmanship but at the end of the day Uruguay are through. That's all that matters.

Woody1985
03-07-2010, 04:49 PM

:faf:

--------
03-07-2010, 05:20 PM
For all those putting it into a Hibs context - not the way to look at it in my opinion. The best way to evaluate this is from a neutral perspective without getting caught up in all the emotion. Its the same reason that you don't have a murder victims brother on the jury during trial.
I think that it was cheating, plain and simple, but was, objectively clearly the correct thing to do. There is a good case for the rules making it so that it couldn't be the correct thing to do, ie penalty goals, but the way the rules stand now it has worked out perfectly for Suarez and Uruguay.

Quite apart from the morality of what Suarez did, there would be problems in changing the rules in the way some are suggesting.

Are we going to award a 'penalty goal' for any incident of hand-ball in the 18-yard box?

For any incident of hand-ball in the 6-yard box?

Only when the ball would have ended up in the net? How would the officials judge that? In the 18-yard box and the ball going in? Or only in the 6-yard box and the ball going in?

What about incidents when a player is brought down when he's through on goal and one-on-one on the goalie? Or only when the goalie brings the man down?

Do we use TV technology to sort all this out (supposing we actually manage to word the new law clearly and unambiguously) or do we leave it to the poor old referee?

I say it again - if that match had ended with a Ghanaian player doing what Suarez did, Suarez missing the penalty, and then Ghana going through in the shoot-out, there wouldn't have been half the fuss made as has been made.

CropleyWasGod
03-07-2010, 05:27 PM
I say it agaon - if that match had ended with a Ghanaian player doing what Suarez did, Suarez missing the penalty, and then Ghana going through in the shoot-out, there wouldn't have been half the fuss made as has been made.

I agree with this bit. The demonisation of Uruguay, both on this board and in sections of the media, has been unfair IMO.

Yes, they have a past... and a past that has been brutal at times.... but this team have been no worse than anybody else in this WC. Indeed, some of their football has been a joy to watch at times.

As for the Ghana thing, it feels patronising for the media to take a stance in favour of the "wee team". This is, largely, the "wee team" that won the (?) u20 World Cup.

sh00byd00
03-07-2010, 05:34 PM

All this penalty goal stuff that's being spouted throughout this thread ignores 2 glaring flaws.

1) Anyone feel free to correct me on this, but as far as i'm aware, in rugby they are given for a series of fouls and not just one incident.

2) How would a ref decide what is a penalty goal and what isn't? Does the player's feet have to be touching the goal line before a shot is considered to be goal bound? what if the player is standing 4yards from the goal line and there's no way to tell whether or not the ball was going to hit the bar or cross the line? What about shots that look like they were going wide, but left untouched would have swerved in at the last second?

Like every single other rule it would be open to abuse.

Hell, the powers that be can't even get basic decisions correct as things currently stand (ball crossing the line), so no point in them trying to correct every single eventuality before fixing the basics.

SidBurns
03-07-2010, 05:36 PM
It's part of the game, everybody knows the rules - DEAL WITH IT!

CropleyWasGod
03-07-2010, 05:38 PM
All this penalty goal stuff that's being spouted throughout this thread ignores 2 glaring flaws.

1) Anyone feel free to correct me on this, but as far as i'm aware, in rugby they are given for a series of fouls and not just one incident.

s.

Not quite. A "professional foul" such as taking out a player who is chasing the ball in the direction of the line is almost always a Penalty Try.

However, there has to be judgment exercised on the part of the referee, ..... which is the whole point of the main part of your thread.

bingo70
03-07-2010, 05:40 PM

2) How would a ref decide what is a penalty goal and what isn't? Does the player's feet have to be touching the goal line before a shot is considered to be goal bound? what if the player is standing 4yards from the goal line and there's no way to tell whether or not the ball was going to hit the bar or cross the line? What about shots that look like they were going wide, but left untouched would have swerved in at the last second?

Like every single other rule it would be open to abuse.

Hell, the powers that be can't even get basic decisions correct as things currently stand (ball crossing the line), so no point in them trying to correct every single eventuality before fixing the basics.

1)not the case, can be and are regularly given for a one off foul that deliberatly stops what would be an obvious try.

2)as with point 1, if there was any doubt they wouldn't be given, if it was clearly going to be a goal and the player stopped it with his hand it would be a penalty goal, if there was any doubt if it was going in it wouldn't be one, where they are standing would be irrelevant.

IMO they shouldn't have TV replays as they have them in cricket and cricket is pish :wink:

steviecarnie
03-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Honestly guys get a grip, the rule of red card and sending off has been around for years and has served the game fine for years, Why does everyone want to change the game? Last night was magnificent for the drama and suspense and its the reason we love the game. Take away talking points, contentious decisions, the entertainment factor of the game and u lose the heart and soul of the game.

Saurez did what we all would've and anyone who says they wouldnt imo is a Liar.

There are hundreds of worse things that spoil the game such as blatent diving, imaginary cards, shielding the ball with no attempt to play it, the ridiculous rule of a player must go off after recieving treatment (There was a game where it was a clash of heads between the keeper and a forward, the keeper recieved treatment stayed on, forward recieves treatment and has to go off :grr:) all need to be sorted before anything else.

so lets hope Fifa can sort them out and doesnt go eradicating the number 1 thing that make football great.....Entertainment.

bingo70
03-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Honestly guys get a grip, the rule of red card and sending off has been around for years and has served the game fine for years, Why does everyone want to change the game? Last night was magnificent for the drama and suspense and its the reason we love the game. Take away talking points, contentious decisions, the entertainment factor of the game and u lose the heart and soul of the game.

Saurez did what we all would've and anyone who says they wouldnt imo is a Liar.

There are hundreds of worse things that spoil the game such as blatent diving, imaginary cards, shielding the ball with no attempt to play it, the ridiculous rule of a player must go off after recieving treatment (There was a game where it was a clash of heads between the keeper and a forward, the keeper recieved treatment stayed on, forward recieves treatment and has to go off :grr:) all need to be sorted before anything else.

so lets hope Fifa can sort them out and doesnt go eradicating the number 1 thing that make football great.....Entertainment.

i actually agree with much of what you say but out of curiosity do you want TV replays brought in?

I don't but after the England game it sounded like i'm the only person left in the world that doesn't want them

Caversham Green
03-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Neuer said in an interview after the game that he knew it was a goal.

I stand corrected - although he says in the same interview "Then I saw it on the television in the doping control office and what actually happened. I knew it was tight - probably about two metres." which suggests he wasn't that sure until he saw the pictures. And two metres? six foot nine? with eyesight like that how does he manage to play in goal?

Anyway, given that he knew (or thought he knew) that it was over he had two options - to accept the referee's decision and carry on playing (which in other circumstances is what most people seem to want) or throw the ball in his own net to ensure that "justice" was done and save the referee's embarrasment. Kicking the ball out and then telling the ref it was a goal would solve nothing.

Quite apart from the morality of what Suarez did, there would be problems in changing the rules in the way some are suggesting.

Are we going to award a 'penalty goal' for any incident of hand-ball in the 18-yard box?

Only when the ball would have ended up in the net? How would the officials judge that? In the 18-yard box and the ball going in? Or only in the 6-yard box and the ball going in?

What about incidents when a player is brought down when he's through on goal and one-on-one on the goalie? Or only when the goalie brings the man down?

Do we use TV technology to sort all this out (supposing we actually manage to word the new law clearly and unambiguously) or do we leave it to the poor old referee?

I say it agaon - if that match had ended with a Ghanaian player doing what Suarez did, Suarez missing the penalty, and then Ghana going through in the shoot-out, there wouldn't have been half the fuss made as has been made.

I also agree with your last pragraph, but that's not really the issue - personally I would have felt just as aggrieved if the incident had happened at the other end. To my mind it should follow the general compensation rule that the injured party should be put into the position they would have been in had the offence not taken place. Thus, denial of a clear goal-scoring opportunity is punished by awarding a clear goal-scoring opportunity - a penalty kick. Denial of a goal, as in this case, should be punished by the award of a goal. Apart from anything else it's likely that the offence would then never have happened and that's what the laws of the game should be aiming for - all IMHO of course.

sh00byd00
03-07-2010, 06:09 PM
1)not the case, can be and are regularly given for a one off foul that deliberatly stops what would be an obvious try.

2)as with point 1, if there was any doubt they wouldn't be given, if it was clearly going to be a goal and the player stopped it with his hand it would be a penalty goal, if there was any doubt if it was going in it wouldn't be one, where they are standing would be irrelevant.

IMO they shouldn't have TV replays as they have them in cricket and cricket is pish :wink:

I don't watch rugby often and the only time I've seen them given is when a team has persistently fouled, so i wasn't going to stick my neck out and say it was the only time they're given. so like i assumed, i stand corrected.

second point, and as i touched upon, I think the basics should be sorted out before putting even more pressure on the ref by adding more rules into the equation. Sort the goal line technology out before we go down what should and what shouldn't be a penalty goal.

i don't remember much being said when John Collins did the exact same thing against the Dutch. or maybe it was forgotten because the Dutch went on to beat us and had Ghana scored from the ensuing spot kick, nothing more would have been said about last night.

steviecarnie
03-07-2010, 06:11 PM
i actually agree with much of what you say but out of curiosity do you want TV replays brought in?

I don't but after the England game it sounded like i'm the only person left in the world that doesn't want them

im still not sure, they can only be brought in, if the rules on when they can be used are clear, otherwise every decision is going to be contested and that will ruin the game. I would say before i was in favour, but the tevez goal highlight the major problem, where is the line drawn for going to a video ref?

Caversham Green
03-07-2010, 06:14 PM

I don't either Bingo. A sensor in the ball that tells the ref when the ball had gone in would have solved the England problem without any delays. It has been tested and seems to work. I'm in two minds about the idea of three challenges like in tennis, because I can see all sorts of problems introducing it in football.

bingo70
03-07-2010, 06:25 PM
im still not sure, they can only be brought in, if the rules on when they can be used are clear, otherwise every decision is going to be contested and that will ruin the game. I would say before i was in favour, but the tevez goal highlight the major problem, where is the line drawn for going to a video ref?

I don't really understand how you can be unsure about tv replays considering your paragraph below, which i think makes a lot of sense BTW

at least with penalty goals it would be down to human decision and could be replicated at all levels of football, unlike if you bring in TV replays which would only be possible at certain levels which seem to be FIFAs big concern about TV replays

Greentinted
03-07-2010, 06:40 PM
i don't remember much being said when John Collins did the exact same thing against the Dutch. or maybe it was forgotten because the Dutch went on to beat us and had Ghana scored from the ensuing spot kick, nothing more would have been said about last night.

That match (at Villa Park IIRC) ended in a 0-0 draw. I think the lack of the furore was down to the time the offense occured. In terms of physical movement, JC had his hand by his side and both referee and linesman had impeded views.

Danderhall Hibs
03-07-2010, 06:42 PM

Hibs.net wasn't around back then - mobile phones were rare back then in the old days. :greengrin

BTW we got a 0-0 with Holland in the game you're taking about.

Finally penalty goals should be added to the rules - too many folk on here trying to complicate things IMO.

hibbybrian
03-07-2010, 06:46 PM

I'm just like our Scottish Refs in as much as I am not that knowledgable about the rules :greengrin however as far as I'm aware, the ref must have decided that the ball was going in otherwise he would only give a yellow card and a penalty for handball in the box.

The rules were presumably drafted to ensure that the offending team would not gain an advantage due to their foul play - in normal circumstances the chance of scoring a goal from the penalty PLUS playing against 10 men would give such an advantage. In this case however Ghana did not get any advantage from playing against 10 men and accordingly the rationale behind the rule was not implemented. Suarez actions were understandable and in that regard I don't blame him for what he did, however the rules failed to take account of the resulting situation.

If this occurred during the end of normal time in a regular league match, the team are only marginally affected and future results can redress the balance however in a knockout tournament the effect is much harsher. Accordingly I think it would be simpler to introduce a change in rules only for extra-time in knockout matches where (similar to basketball) the team get 2 attemps at the penalty (only 1 score allowed) and the offending player given a yellow card for the match but banned from the next game. in this way, the offended team get the advantage. :cool2:

steviecarnie
03-07-2010, 07:23 PM
I don't really understand how you can be unsure about tv replays considering your paragraph below, which i think makes a lot of sense BTW

Im in 2 minds, i can see it would benefit the game, and would bring it in line with every other sport. As i said my problem with it is, where do fifa draw the line, goal line? penalty box? offsides? fouls? the list goes on - there are too many things to get right before it'll work.

at least with penalty goals it would be down to human decision and could be replicated at all levels of football, unlike if you bring in TV replays which would only be possible at certain levels which seem to be FIFAs big concern about TV replays

Why a penalty goal? why not just give the goal and the player stays on? most of the time its instinctive, with the current system the team is punished 3 times, Penalty - Sending Off - Misses Next Game, it doesnt quite fit the crime imo.

bingo70
03-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Im in 2 minds, i can see it would benefit the game, and would bring it in line with every other sport. As i said my problem with it is, where do fifa draw the line, goal line? penalty box? offsides? fouls? the list goes on - there are too many things to get right before it'll work.

Why a penalty goal? why not just give the goal and the player stays on? most of the time its instinctive, with the current system the team is punished 3 times, Penalty - Sending Off - Misses Next Game, it doesnt quite fit the crime imo.

good point, think i was just calling it a penalty goal because it sounded better than just calling it a goal :wink:

steviecarnie
03-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Saurez escapes further ban.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8785140.stm

seems a funny guy
Following his sending off Ajax striker Suarez said "the 'Hand Of God' now belongs to me" after his goal-line handball helped his country reach the World Cup semi-finals.
Asamoah Gyan missed the ensuing penalty and Uruguay went on to win a shoot-out.
And referencing Diego Maradona's goal against England in 1986, Suarez said: "Mine is the real 'Hand Of God'. I made the save of the tournament." :greengrin

Also John Pantsil LIAR " In the same situation, there is no chance the Ghana players would have used our hand" it was instinctive deary me

AFKA5814_Hibs
03-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Saurez escapes further ban.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8785140.stm

seems a funny guy

And why not.

Can't see him being in the Final, think the Dutch will beat them, but he's given his teamates a great chance of getting there. :agree:

steviecarnie
03-07-2010, 11:33 PM
And why not.

Can't see him being in the Final, think the Dutch will beat them, but he's given his teamates a great chance of getting there. :agree:

That reminds me, mascherano and a would imagine a few other are now banned from the next international game their country plays.......What is the point, surely fifa could just scrap all yellow cards oce the team goes out, Red Cards i can understand, but 2 yellow cards picked up in the heat of a major tournament shouldnt really be carried over to the next qualifying campaign.:grr:

Hibs On Tour
04-07-2010, 08:30 AM
The rules, as they stand, are fine. If this wasn't Ghana and they weren't the last African nation in this year's WC, we'd not even be having this conversation.

He handled. Got sent off and misses the semi. He and Uruguay have been punished. Ghana contrived to miss the penalty that would have sent them through. Their fault. They then got beat in the shoot-out, again down to them.

Dry yer eyes.

Sir David Gray
04-07-2010, 06:42 PM
The rules, as they stand, are fine. If this wasn't Ghana and they weren't the last African nation in this year's WC, we'd not even be having this conversation.

He handled. Got sent off and misses the semi. He and Uruguay have been punished. Ghana contrived to miss the penalty that would have sent them through. Their fault. They then got beat in the shoot-out, again down to them.

Dry yer eyes.

Personally I couldn't care less about the fact it was Ghana who were on the wrong end of the whole thing.

I just think football should take a leaf out of the book of other sports in several areas. OK you can argue that the Ghana player should have scored the penalty and it's his fault that they're not in the semis. But the ball was clearly going into the net (not maybe, probably or possibly, it was 100% going to be a goal) until the Uruguayan illegally palmed the ball away. In those instances (and only in those instances), I believe the referee should be allowed to award a goal.

heretoday
04-07-2010, 06:53 PM

I don't want anything "brought in". Leave the game as it is - warts and all.

Hibs On Tour
04-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Personally I couldn't care less about the fact it was Ghana who were on the wrong end of the whole thing.

I just think football should take a leaf out of the book of other sports in several areas. OK you can argue that the Ghana player should have scored the penalty and it's his fault that they're not in the semis. But the ball was clearly going into the net (not maybe, probably or possibly, it was 100% going to be a goal) until the Uruguayan illegally palmed the ball away. In those instances (and only in those instances), I believe the referee should be allowed to award a goal.

100% isn't accurate though. He could have jumped and headed it away. So it wasn't 100% going to be a goal. The penalty fitted the 'crime' and Ghana messed their chance up - simples. Referees should *never* be allowed to award a goal that hasn't gone in the net - FFS they have enough bother awarding goals that have went in the net! :faf:

Part/Time Supporter
04-07-2010, 07:27 PM
100% isn't accurate though. He could have jumped and headed it away. So it wasn't 100% going to be a goal. The penalty fitted the 'crime' and Ghana messed their chance up - simples. Referees should *never* be allowed to award a goal that hasn't gone in the net - FFS they have enough bother awarding goals that have went in the net! :faf:

"Penalty to Rangers" is bad enough - at least they might miss it.

"Penalty goal to Rangers"???

:bye:

Sir David Gray
04-07-2010, 08:16 PM

I don't think he could have headed it away, at least not without great difficulty, or he would have done that. That way he wouldn't have been sent off and Ghana wouldn't have got a penalty.

I can understand why people are opposed to the penalty goal idea and the point you make about referees having enough of a problem awarding goals that have gone in the net is a valid one.

I just think there's too much at stake in football nowadays, particularly at the quarter final stage of the World Cup, not to award a goal to a side that obviously deserves one.

cheltenhamhibee
05-07-2010, 07:22 AM
ach get ower it, if he'd done it against engerland everybody on here would be dancin on the street, lol, well as long as you aren't english, i would've been and i live in engerland :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Phil MaGlass
05-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Suarez is one of the worst type of cheating players you can Imagne :grr:, this guy is worse than Lafferty and that twa1 that played for hertz, he is really hated by alot of supporters (myself included) for his diving and cheating.Hopefully his team will be put out by the Dutch and they are beaten by a barrowload of goals. The guy is a wanq.

Holmesdale Hibs
05-07-2010, 09:30 AM

Suarez had to do it, fair play or not.

Wonder if FIFA will look at introducing something like the penalty tries you get in rugby, TBH i hadn't even thought of that until tonights game but i think something really should be done to stop this kind of thing

Agree. I would do exactly the same thing and expect most people would.

It is harsh on Ghana and with incidents like this FIFA should allow the referee to award a goal.

If there was a penalty-goal, I guess he couldn’t send the player off as well. This could raise problems if something like this happened in the first minute and Suarez had scored later in the match.

Hibs On Tour
06-07-2010, 12:36 AM
I don't think he could have headed it away, at least not without great difficulty, or he would have done that. That way he wouldn't have been sent off and Ghana wouldn't have got a penalty.

I can understand why people are opposed to the penalty goal idea and the point you make about referees having enough of a problem awarding goals that have gone in the net is a valid one.

I just think there's too much at stake in football nowadays, particularly at the quarter final stage of the World Cup, not to award a goal to a side that obviously deserves one.

Awfy dangerous ground there tho. If you recall, Ghana won a highly dubious free kick that led to the ball heading towards the line which was then punched away. For me, the ref got that wrong so should Uruguay have been punished twice by you having the ref give them a goal too? Did they 'deserve' to go through so much that they should get free kicks wrongly too...? :greengrin

TRC
06-07-2010, 02:19 AM
To be fair, I seem to remember J.McFadden doing it in a game at hampden they of couse scored said pen cant remember who it was maybe Norway. On the other hand I also remember Ulie Laursen getting sent of against Rankers when he was trying to hoist himself up off the grounfd and the ball hit his arm but got sent off, fair no, but that was seen by Dallas as intentional hand ball. so would a penalty goal been awarded on that instance with Dallas my money would be on yes

shamo9
06-07-2010, 05:11 AM
Wonder if David Murphy received a 4 pager when he handled the ball off the line against Killie at the end of 05/06? That makes him a rotten, filthy cheat hated by any decent football fan, right? Probably not considering Kilmarnock were competent enough to score the resulting penalty.

Ghana had their chance, a glorious one at that, and they bottled it. Composure is one of the most prized ingredients in any champion. Ghana didn't have it, that Uruguay player showed it in abundance when he chipped in the winner. This all equals a deserved victory for Uruguay and the whiny losers tag for Ghana, who try in-vain to manipulate the rules to overcome their shortcomings.

Part/Time Supporter
06-07-2010, 05:50 AM
To be fair, I seem to remember J.McFadden doing it in a game at hampden they of couse scored said pen cant remember who it was maybe Norway. On the other hand I also remember Ulie Laursen getting sent of against Rankers when he was trying to hoist himself up off the grounfd and the ball hit his arm but got sent off, fair no, but that was seen by Dallas as intentional hand ball. so would a penalty goal been awarded on that instance with Dallas my money would be on yes

Same Dallas who then decided at the World Cup later that season that this wasn't an offence at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLtT0imwdCQ

(1:45 in)

Hibs On Tour
06-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Same Dallas who then decided at the World Cup later that season that this wasn't an offence at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLtT0imwdCQ

(1:45 in)

Had me going there. Its 2:08 in or thereabouts. Just a good saving diving header at 1:45 to give the corner that led to the handball on the line... :greengrin