View Full Version : Maradona v Messi

H18sry
02-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Funny video :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=O3JteMPo7-c&feature=related

Dunbar Hibee
02-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Only one winner = Messi.
The other is a wee fat jackie **** who just happen to help eliminate them.

Absolutely no comparision in my eyes.

Opinions eh..

Ants
02-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Opinions eh..

Apart from that, he did quite well thou.........

H18sry
02-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Diego is not a wee fat jackie fnuck:cool2:

Ants
02-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Diego is not a wee fat jackie fnuck:cool2:

Yes he is. Check all the factual records on the internet.

But he still eliminated them, although they claim it may be a bit controversial....

bingo70
02-07-2010, 08:50 PM

But he still eliminated them, although they claim it may be a bit controversial....

You must have a different definition to junkie than me, not saying yours is wrong, but in my book, Maradona has never been a junkie, he had a problem with drugs, doesn't make him a junkie though.

Your comparison of the two of them is so ridiculous it doesn't deserve discussion

H18sry
02-07-2010, 08:51 PM

Just quoting you :wink: Still time for Messi yet DIEGO :notworthy: was not a junkie whilst at Barca :wink:

BonnieFitbaTeam
03-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Your comparison of the two of them is so ridiculous it doesn't deserve discussion[/QUOTE]

:agree:

SmokieJoe
03-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Messi for me, only one winner, agreed Maradona helped knock them out in 86, but Messi is an honest player, he just wants to play the beautiful game, no ref conning from him.

EskbankHibby
03-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Messi for me, only one winner, agreed Maradona helped knock them out in 86, but Messi is an honest player, he just wants to play the beautiful game, no ref conning from him.

Did you watch the video mate?

Similar handball 'goal' to Maradona so both happy to bend the rules i would say, got to agree with you about Messi being the better player though, seems to have less demons as well.

SmokieJoe
03-07-2010, 11:25 AM

Similar handball 'goal' to Maradona so both happy to bend the rules i would say, got to agree with you about Messi being the better player though, seems to have less demons as well.

My bad i must have missed the goal...D'oh!

bingo70
03-07-2010, 11:26 AM

Thats why i prefer Maradona, he did what he did whilst being absolutely smashed, Messi does it sober, hardly a fair comparison :wink:

Seriously though, for it to be a fair contest Messi had to do it at a world cup and despite him not scoring yet he has done it here so he's definately up there in the same bracket with Maradona and Pele now IMO, he's still got his whole career in front of him as well which is terrific.

Ants
03-07-2010, 10:02 PM
You must have a different definition to junkie than me, not saying yours is wrong, but in my book, Maradona has never been a junkie, he had a problem with drugs, doesn't make him a junkie though.

Your comparison of the two of them is so ridiculous it doesn't deserve discussion

I did not call him a junkie, that term is for some poor unfortunate person elsewhere.

I called him a Jackie, but I mis-spelt that, it should have been jakie, too many beers....again!

The definition of Jakie is:- A South American striped frog (Pseudis paradoxa), remarkable for having a tadpole larger than the adult, and hence called also paradoxical frog.

In my opinon Diego is no prince charming in a vertically striped football top !
The second part of the definition, I will leave to you.

AFKA5814_Hibs
03-07-2010, 10:11 PM
The really top players produce it on the biggest stage, Maradona did, Messi hasn't done that..so far.

At the moment there is only one winner on the pitch and that is Maradona. Messi will have more opportunities. The next world cup is in Brazil and Messi could turn it on then.

Maradona was 26 in 1986, Messi will be 27 when the next World Cup is played, that could be his time.

Pete
03-07-2010, 10:25 PM
The really top players produce it on the biggest stage, Maradona did, Messi hasn't done that..so far.

At the moment there is only one winner on the pitch and that is Maradona. Messi will have more opportunities. The next world cup is in Brazil and Messi could turn it on then.

Maradona was 26 in 1986, Messi will be 27 when the next World Cup is played, that could be his time.

...but what's the "biggest stage" in modern football? The champions league or the world cup?

Messi is the star of a Brilliant Barcelona team that is the best in Europe. Did Maradona ever reach the heights in club football that Messi has?

It's an interesting comparison and debate but one I simply can't make a decision on due to the vast changes in football in the last 30 years.

I'll just say that Messi is the modern day Maradona...without the craziness.

AFKA5814_Hibs
03-07-2010, 10:32 PM
...but what's the "biggest stage" in modern football? The champions league or the world cup?

Messi is the star of a Brilliant Barcelona team that is the best in Europe. Did Maradona ever reach the heights in club football that Messi has?

It's an interesting comparison and debate but one I simply can't make a decision on due to the vast changes in football in the last 30 years.

I'll just say that Messi is the modern day Maradona...without the craziness.

For me, the pinnacle is the World Cup, it beats anything in club football. Maradona turned around the fortunes of Napoli in Italy, IIRC they had never won the Italian league before we went there.

In time, I reckon Messi could become the new Maradona in that he is only 23 years, with the next world cup being in South America that could well be his stage, but at the moment, I don't think he is up there with Maradona.

Pete
03-07-2010, 10:42 PM
For me, the pinnacle is the World Cup, it beats anything in club football. Maradona turned around the fortunes of Napoli in Italy, IIRC they had never won the Italian league before we went there.

In time, I reckon Messi could become the new Maradona in that he is only 23 years, with the next world cup being in South America that could well be his stage, but at the moment, I don't think he is up there with Maradona.

I think it's one hell of a pressure for any Argentinian player that is remotely in Maradonas mould as he will always be compared to him.
Ariel Ortega was the new Maradona a while back and what happened to him?

AFKA5814_Hibs
03-07-2010, 10:56 PM
I think it's one hell of a pressure for any Argentinian player that is remotely in Maradonas mould as he will always be compared to him.
Ariel Ortega was the new Maradona a while back and what happened to him?

Ortega never really made it big in Europe. Messi has, but he is probably playing with better players in the Barca team than he is with the Argentina team. A similiar comparison could be made with Rooney. Man United are a far better side than the English national team.

It is unfair to compare any Argentine player with Maradona, a bit like comparing a Brazilian player with Pele, a Dutch player with Cruyff, or a Scottish player with Gordon Smith. :greengrin

heretoday
04-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Comparisons based on ability are futile. Different times. Different opponents.

I would say that I enjoyed watching Maradona more. He was more animated than Messi.

Ultimately though his childish behaviour became boring. Somehow I can't see Messi's career going up the chimney like that.

seanraff07
04-07-2010, 08:41 PM
I wasn't alive when Maradona was playing, but i just can't imagine any players ability being similar to Messi. Although that goal Messi scored against Getafe is scarely alike to the one Maradona scored.

marleyhib
04-07-2010, 08:43 PM
sorry, if you know your footy Messi is not fit to lace Maradona's boots - I doubt many will ever be

Dunbar Hibee
05-07-2010, 01:17 PM
sorry, if you know your footy Messi is not fit to lace Maradona's boots - I doubt many will ever be

:agree: