PDA

View Full Version : A Critical Appraisal of HibbyYam BanterWit

Speedway
02-07-2010, 09:22 AM
In these slightly quieter times, I thought it apt to address the most pressing question on the minds of fans from both sides of the city - who is wittier?

In order to address this objectively, I have taken a random sample of the most recent works from the genius intellects of both sets of fans for your critique.

Ga(y)me On Then.

1. Tony Mowbray - 'Monkeyheid' v. Graham Rix - 'If You Tolerate Rix, Then Your Children Will Be Next'
A poor start from our Gay-bours across the road. Hibs appointed this rookie manager and to be fair, he was a safe distance from handsome but as the Yams showed that they had no answer in the entertainment stakes to Tony's brand of football, this was the flagship comeback from their engine room of noted (half) wits. As easy a target as seeing John Robertson pole dancing and coming up the the nickname 'Spit-roast'. The Hibbies meanwhile, forged a cutting link between the murky past of their rival's manager and a current well known Manic Street Preachers ditty of the time. As abhorent as the subject matter actually is, there's no questioning the cleverness of it's construction.
Verdict - Early opener for the Cabbage 1-0

2. John Collins - 'Squareheid' vs. Rodney/Gareth Romanov
Continuing their form for completely new and leftfield approaches to comedy, they came up with this one for Mowbray's successor. Again whilst accurate, it didn't quite possess the tickle stick that the funny bone requires. Meanwhile, the Hibbies drew a humerous comparison between a down and out from Peckham or woefully inadaquate executive from Slough for your selection. Suggesting that Hearts most senior executive was either a distinct failure or incompetent or both.
Verdict - Hearts fall two behind 2-0

3. Easter Road - 'F e s t e r Road' vs. Tynecastle - 'S w i n e Castle'
Doesn't rhyme, doesn't suggest much in the way of imagery to highlight the perceived class divide between the clubs. Again, a poor attempt it must be said. Hibs effort this time not particularly strong either but at least it rhymed.
Verdict - Missed chances at both ends, still 2-0

4. Easter Road - San Giro vs. Tynecastle - 'Tincastle'
A much better attempt and a clear poke at the perception of Leith's (not)working class underbelly. Hibs respond in a much stronger fashion but hearts hit on the break and just edge out a consolation goal.
Verdict - Hearts are back in it. 2-1

5. 'Fans Dressed As Seats' vs. Paul Hartley - 'is Gay'
My personal favourite. On a very painful day, the Yams quickly and accurately pointed out that it wasn't just the team who let our club down that day. An observation I found very funny at the time and still do. Hibs have no answer for this and use an easy option to try and point score, with miserable results as the player we're attacking, destroyed us that day.
Verdict - Hearts bring it level at 2-2

So it's delicately poised going into the next phase of play. Hibs are warming up 'FatJimKnew' on the bench and the next goal is crucial. Who can make their next comparison of improvisational comedy send Hibs into the lead again?

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Hibees are witty and sharp. Jambos are 5hitty and warp[ed].
Seemples.

matty_f
02-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Hibees are witty and sharp. Jambos are 5hitty and warp[ed].
Seemples.
:agree: hibees are shining wits, yams are whining sh.ts.

lyonhibs
02-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Second half kicks off

"Christian Nadé, weighs 19 stone 2" vs "Shoot Zemmamma paedophile woooaahhh"

A sharp as a tack take on the slightly tiresome, yet factually accurate ditty that we haven't won the SC since 1902, this - I suspect factually correct - song about the weight of the fat student with the proclivity for nicking Lamborgini's is pitted against the Yam's grim - and revelatory regarding their tolerance for foreign cultures - song about Zemmamma marrying a perfectly legally over-age woman.

An absolute walkover in the wit stakes, the referee stopped this bout before it had even begun. Leaves them far, far behind the lyrical Hibbies, who can sit their satisfied in the knowledge that Zemmama isn't absolutely *****e.

Hibs 3-2 Hearts

Mellow Hibee
02-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Hibs Class/Hearts Class V Hobo top

Hibs press their advantage with a look at the most current banter threads on .net and JKB. While the yams can only come up with Hibs top "It gives me the ****ing boak" the .netters compare Hibs with a racehorse and Hearts with a giraffe "loving" a donkey.

Hibs 4 Hearts 2.

Hibs07p
02-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Hibs Class/Hearts Class V Hobo top

Hibs press their advantage with a look at the most current banter threads on .net and JKB. While the yams can only come up with Hibs top "It gives me the ****ing boak" the .netters compare Hibs with a thoroughbred racehorse and Hearts with a giraffe "loving" a donkey.

Hibs 4 Hearts 2.

I corrected that for you. :greengrin

Diclonius
02-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Hearts fans don't understand humour. Their "banter" consists of cheap class based insults and death threats.

E.g. "I hope someone drops a ****in' bomb on those reptiles in Leith" was said, in all seriousness on KB a while ago. :bitchy:

Peevemor
02-07-2010, 12:51 PM
The trend on Brokeback to apply "FTH" to the bottom of each post, together with their photos of pieces of paper adorned with the same text must surely count as an own goal given their own team's initial letter.

Hibs 5 Hearts 2

ps. my own siggie is a celebration of their dimness.

Peevemor
02-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Their constant referal to Greggs (complete with dedicated smiley) shows up the yams stereotypical lack of originality.

The 'Greggs' rumour thing debuted on here at least 7 years ago. Get your own craic!

Hibs 6 Hearts 2 :thumbsup:

Riordans Boots
02-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Hibs - :singing:

There is a bonnie fitba team at Easter Road they play ...

Hertz - :Ummm:

Away up in Gorgie at Tynecastle Park, there's a wee fitba team ....

dangermouse
02-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Their constant referal to Greggs (complete with dedicated smiley) shows up the yams stereotypical lack of originality.

The 'Greggs' rumour thing debuted on here at least 7 years ago. Get your own craic!

Hibs 6 Hearts 2 :thumbsup:

And with that scoreline surely the referee should blow for full time or is there still an opportunity for an injury time goal?

hibee4life1983
02-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Riordan. 7-2

Phil D. Rolls
02-07-2010, 03:56 PM
In these slightly quieter times, I thought it apt to address the most pressing question on the minds of fans from both sides of the city - who is wittier?

One of the greatest posts of all time mate. :top marks

Phil D. Rolls
02-07-2010, 04:00 PM
.....Rolls tries a speculative drive from 30 yards.....

Peg Sellers v Yellow Cardigans

Good attempt exploting the observational skills of the hibs support and their acute awareness of the Edinburgh class divide, pinpointing the bottom corner of the goal. A crude last minute interception by the Kickbackistanis, just edges the ball past the post. Not pretty to look at, but a bludgeoning lunge highlighting the deprivation in parts of East Edinburgh, is just enough to edge it past.

Play continues from the goal kick.......

A poor restart from MorningsideMark is intercepted by Hibs.net, a neat passing movement on the edge of the box leads to.....

Pikeys v LRT Bus Drivers

The Yams have shown themselves up as a one trick pony, with yet another generic off the shelf insult. Their inability to change their game is ruthlessly exploited with a succint observation of the slavish servitude of the Yam support to the Edinburgh establishment.

Watch the Hibs fans go wild as their team highlights the fact, that the Yams would rather support a system that keeps them down, than develop their own individual approach.

As the ball sails into the net, the Yams can only look on in perplexity as the system they thought would sustain them forever is destroyed by Hibernian's post modernist wit.

8 - 2 The Hobo Caravan Dwelling Cave Dwellers. What price freedom now?

From the restart a long speculative ball catches the unsuspecting Hibs defence off guard. As the goal keeper advances for what should be an easy catch, the ball hits a discarded card of pegs, and its

Open Top Bus Parade vs Skol Cup Celebrations

The Yams tactic of persisting with their one way of hurting Hibs pays off with what is surely no more than a consolation goal. Hibs must be unstoppable.

Hibs 8 - Yams 3

Manager Hughes, no doubt chastened by a collapse in the last 20 minutes at Fir Park plays a master stroke by replacing a defender with another attacker. As play restarts, a scything challenge By Yam McYam leaves the Hibs player requiring hospital. He pings it out to the right wing where Pants Calcloon passes it to the onrushing Wayne Foster Grant.

He sclaffs a pass from the edge of the box, and it's

European Cup Debutants v World War 1 Heroes

The Hibs fans hold their breath, however it is easily returned up field by after a Cruyff turn and majestic back heel by the 84 year old Hibs right back, Gibby Gibson. It's still 8 - 3 ya wee toleys!!!