PDA

View Full Version : Alex Miller a manager again.

blueisthecolour
30-06-2010, 07:29 PM
New manager of AIK

http://www.thelocal.se/27388/20100622/

Sorry if already posted.

Good luck Alex.

lyonhibs
30-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Good god.

Here's hoping AIK fans are ready for the old 5-4(defensive) - 1 formation, with the exception of the 1993/1994 season.

Still, Miller steered us through the toughest time in our recent history and got a cup out of it, so for that I'll always be thankful, but a lot of the football really was eye-bleeding stuff.

steviecarnie
30-06-2010, 07:35 PM
5-4 - 1 formation

ahead of his time then. everyone is playing that these days......well except capello:greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
30-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Bought some great players in and won us the Skol cup, 10 years of hell for me aside of these points, god I hated that man

:grr:

Viva_Palmeiras
30-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Maintained his dignity throughout the dark days of the takeover
Gave me my greatest day as a fan as I missed the CID as my son was newly born
However he ran out of ideas got stale and dougie stood by him regardless
That derby run takes a lot of explaining it left a scar on a generation we lost more than a few fans id imagne during that era

IWasThere2016
30-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Top bloke - good luck to him :agree:

Cameron1875
30-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Given Alex Millers affiliation with the huns and our fans mixed views on him, it seems like BITC is on a little fishing trip here:wink:

Or am i reading too much into this...:greengrin

New Corrie
30-06-2010, 11:00 PM
A lamb to the slaughter at Hibs for obvious reasons, even though it's always dressed up as his negative tactics as the reason for him being hated at Hibs. Blackley, Stanton, Auld and Ormond employed the same negative tactics before him, but were given exemptions, Tells a story, but hey ho! Good luck Lexo!

hibee4life1983
30-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Didnt he actually piss himself in 89/90??

I wasnt fond of his negitive tactics but he did ride the hard times with us and got the skol cup(lets not forget the tennants 6's)lol.

KWJ
01-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Good mate is an AIK fan, they had a cracking season last year but haven't lived up to it so far this time round. Good luck to Alex and AIK.

CapitalHibs
01-07-2010, 01:22 AM
Given Alex Millers affiliation with the huns and our fans mixed views on him, it seems like BITC is on a little fishing trip here:wink:

Or am i reading too much into this...:greengrin

Top bloke - good luck to him :agree:

:agree:

Alex Miller's participation in the HOH re-union concert says a lot about his Hibs affiliation to me.:rolleyes:

weecounty hibby
01-07-2010, 05:52 AM
A lamb to the slaughter at Hibs for obvious reasons, even though it's always dressed up as his negative tactics as the reason for him being hated at Hibs. Blackley, Stanton, Auld and Ormond employed the same negative tactics before him, but were given exemptions, Tells a story, but hey ho! Good luck Lexo!
Bull****. Auld yes, but the others no. And my recollection is that Auld got as much stick for it. I remember his first game in charge for us was against the Huns at ER and he got a great reception with his name being chanted etc. Result 0-0 and that was the shape of things to come. The most boring, uninspiring man we have ever had in charge. Won the LC for us, thank you. Had one season where we played good football, thank you. Pretty much eight and a half years of torture and being happy to be one place above the relegation zone playing dull negative football where 0-0 was viewed as a great result.

Auckland Hibs
01-07-2010, 07:01 AM
Good luck :agree:

We won the Skol Cup under him and for that I will always be grateful. However, his negative tactics were a shocker for too long and how the **** did he manage to get his boys into the Hibs team?!

P.S Does anyone know if the story about the guy calling him a hun barsteward in the hibs club the night of the Skol Cup win are true or a myth?

blackpoolhibs
01-07-2010, 07:11 AM

Absolute sheite as usual.

sahib
01-07-2010, 07:15 AM

The Blackley, Stanton and Auld tenures were dire times. Miller seemed to bring a higher degree of professionalism to the club.

H18sry
01-07-2010, 07:27 AM
A great tactition, as Liverpool fans will testify, it was Miller who was behind the European cup's greatest comeback :wink: Good luck Lexo, you dont half get about tho :agree:

marinello59
01-07-2010, 07:35 AM

I'll disagree with the first bit, I think making an assumption like that about the vast majority of Hibs fans is quite simply wrong,
Could it not be that the longevity if Millers reign has counted against him compared to the others you mention? A case of ''well he did win us the Skol Cup but apart from that what did Alex Miller ever do for Hibs?'' Perhaps his perceived negativity whilst at Hibs has become even more pronounced in our collective memories.

heretoday
01-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Liverpool can point to his departure as the time when their form started to dip. Benitez needed him to help steer the ship.

stubru59
01-07-2010, 08:07 AM
His record against that lot up the other end of the city was shameful.

He was on his way out until we won the old league cup against a very poor Dunfermline side.

Glad to see the back of him, if truth be told.

SlickShoes
01-07-2010, 08:39 AM
His record against that lot up the other end of the city was shameful.

He was on his way out until we won the old league cup against a very poor Dunfermline side.

Glad to see the back of him, if truth be told.

Yeah its not as if we beat rangers in the semi is it?

We had a great run in the cup and a great start to the season that year. It was vintage hibs if we are honest, great start followed by poor second half of the season, still won the cup and finished mid table. Considering we were about to be relegated the year before but were saved by restructuring of the league i would say thats a good turn around.

Frazerbob
01-07-2010, 08:56 AM

We had a great run in the cup and a great start to the season that year. It was vintage hibs if we are honest, great start followed by poor second half of the season, still won the cup and finished mid table. Considering we were about to be relegated the year before but were saved by restructuring of the league i would say thats a good turn around.

Incorrect!

We finished one place above the relegation spot IIRC. Memory is a bit clouded so I can't remember who was below us but we were not saved by reconstruction.

EDIT - St Mirren finished bottom, 6 points behind us.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/scotland/premier-division/1990-1991

SlickShoes
01-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Incorrect!

We finished one place above the relegation spot IIRC. Memory is a bit clouded so I can't remember who was below us but we were not saved by reconstruction.

EDIT - St Mirren finished bottom, 6 points behind us.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/scotland/premier-division/1990-1991

Still decent progress from the previous year.

Also now that you point that out, i went all my life convinced we finished bottom that year, it was the first season i had a season ticket i guess the football was just that bad i assumed we should have been relegated haha

Frazerbob
01-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Still decent progress from the previous year.

Also now that you point that out, i went all my life convinced we finished bottom that year, it was the first season i had a season ticket i guess the football was just that bad i assumed we should have been relegated haha

You're right, it was great progress especially after all the takeover stuff. It's a common misconseption that we were saved by reconstruction regularly trotted out by deluded Jambos. What I would say though was that relegation was scrapped before we were safe so it did take the pressure off.

Hibernia Na Eir
01-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Alex was a hun, BUT he was one of only a few modern day Hibs managers that got us into Europe and won us a cup

good luck big Lexy boy

poolman
01-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Jimmy O'rourke told a story bout him in the Diggers last Saturday that a long time ago AM told him that Jimmy wasn't up with the modern game :faf:

Cabbage East
01-07-2010, 10:19 AM

Absolute pish.

--------
01-07-2010, 10:20 AM

IIRC when Alex came to us we were in process of going down to the First Division. He brought in Tommy McIntyre, Graham Mitchell, and Dougie Bell, and we stayed up.

His signings generally seemed good to me - those three, Andy Goram, Budgie, Jim Leighton, Neil Orr, Keith Wright, Murdo Macleod, Darren Jackson, Crunchie, Michael O'Neill and so on. I wouldn't call any of those guys negative signings.

He steadied the club through the Mercer crisis - in fact without him I doubt whether we would have been an SPL team when STF finally took control.

In his time we were usually a top-half team. The idea that Alex was content to finish one place above relegation year after year is nonsense.

We won the League Cup once, and lost narrowly in another Final to Rangers - in that game we should have had a penalty and Maxwell the Rangers keeper should have been sent off for a foul on Keith Wright, but those things don't happen in Finals involving Rangers; at least, not to Rangers. We played in Europe at least twice and went out to decent teams by narrow margins both times. (I wish I was confident of us playing as well as that this time around.)

We were consistently competitive throughout his time at ER; the one real blemish in many people's eyes was the fact that in his time we consistently struggled to beat Hearts - 22 in a row without winning against your local rivals is hard to take, right enough.

My memory is that in his last two years at ER there was a split in the board between Douglas Cromb (who supported Alex) and other directors who wanted to get both DC and AM out. The transfer budget was cut, Alex spent £300,000 on Brian Welsh who was injured (and rubbish anyway), and pressure mounted until he and DC left. The victorious directors then signed up Duff Jimmy who led us to unprecedented triumphs and European glory.

In the great scheme of things Alex Miller was never the disaster some of us like to allege he was. IMHO he was a better manager than Turnbull or McLeish and achieved his results without either disassembling an inherited team or nearly bankrupting us. That Miller gets the stick he does, when people like Tom Hart and Kenny Waugh go unscathed and the dire results we achieved under Stanton and Blackley (largely because of a lack of finance, to be fair) are glossed over is extremely unfair.

I wish Alex and AIK every success - unless, of course, we end up playing them. As already said - a top bloke and a much-under-rated coach and manager.

basehibby
01-07-2010, 10:26 AM
:thumbsup: Good luck Auld Lexo! :thumbsup:

bawheid
01-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Top post Doddie.

Frazerbob
01-07-2010, 10:33 AM
IIRC when Alex came to us we were in process of going down to the First Division. He brought in Tommy McIntyre, Graham Mitchell, and Dougie Bell, and we stayed up.

His signings generally seemed good to me - those three, Andy Goram, Budgie, Jim Leighton, Neil Orr, Keith Wright, Murdo Macleod, Darren Jackson, Crunchie, Michael O'Neill and so on. I wouldn't call any of those guys negative signings.

He steadied the club through the Mercer crisis - in fact without him I doubt whether we would have been an SPL team when STF finally took control.

In his time we were usually a top-half team. The idea that Alex was content to finish one place above relegation year after year is nonsense.

We won the League Cup once, and lost narrowly in another Final to Rangers - in that game we should have had a penalty and Maxwell the Rangers keeper should have been sent off for a foul on Keith Wright, but those things don't happen in Finals involving Rangers; at least, not to Rangers. We played in Europe at least twice and went out to decent teams by narrow margins both times. (I wish I was confident of us playing as well as that this time around.)

We were consistently competitive throughout his time at ER; the one real blemish in many people's eyes was the fact that in his time we consistently struggled to beat Hearts - 22 in a row without winning against your local rivals is hard to take, right enough.

My memory is that in his last two years at ER there was a split in the board between Douglas Cromb (who supported Alex) and other directors who wanted to get both DC and AM out. The transfer budget was cut, Alex spent £300,000 on Brian Welsh who was injured (and rubbish anyway), and pressure mounted until he and DC left. The victorious directors then signed up Duff Jimmy who led us to unprecedented triumphs and European glory.

In the great scheme of things Alex Miller was never the disaster some of us like to allege he was. IMHO he was a better manager than Turnbull or McLeish and achieved his results without either disassembling an inherited team or nearly bankrupting us. That Miller gets the stick he does, when people like Tom Hart and Kenny Waugh go unscathed and the dire results we achieved under Stanton and Blackley (largely because of a lack of finance, to be fair) are glossed over is extremely unfair.

I wish Alex and AIK every success - unless, of course, we end up playing them. As already said - a top bloke and a much-under-rated coach and manager.

Excellent post sir!

--------
01-07-2010, 10:33 AM
(
Top post Doddie.

Thank you, bawheid. (And frazerbob.)

I'm now heading for the bomb-shelter before the bombardment begins....

:devil:

Phil D. Rolls
01-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Liverpool can point to his departure as the time when their form started to dip. Benitez needed him to help steer the ship.

Good point.

Jimmy O'rourke told a story bout him in the Diggers last Saturday that a long time ago AM told him that Jimmy wasn't up with the modern game :faf:

Which one of them is still working in football, and which is a great pro living on former glories?

soupy
01-07-2010, 11:32 AM
I wonder if his laddie Greg will get a job wi him:confused:

IWasThere2016
01-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Well said Doddie :top marks

Folks forget we battered the Yams in some of the 22 too .. they were just lucky time and time again

Stevie Reid
01-07-2010, 11:51 AM

Great post, Doddie.

I've written many a post on here about how wrong I believe it to be for people just to dismiss Miller's considerable achievements, whilst dismising him as a one dimensional, negative manager. God only knows what would have happened had we had a different manager during the takeover (Rafa Benitez has just shown that he can't manage effectively against a backdrop of uncertainty, and he's spent a quarter of a billion pounds on players), and for us to come out the other side with a trophy so soon after was an unbelievable achievement.

I remember the signings of Bell, Mitchell and McIntyre being announced in the new year (same day as the NY match with Hearts was postponed due to severe rain IIRC), and what 3 great bits of business. Bell was great in the short term with ingenuity and dribbling ability to unlock defences, with Mitchell being a stalwart for years to come - McIntyre eventually went on to be a key figure in our cup winning season with good performances and the coolest head around when taking pens (I remember him getting absolutely destroyed by Mark McGhee in the 1988 SC semi).

Back in the days before freedom of contract and when free transfers were a rarity and wholsesale changes in and out of clubs did not happen in the close season, he had to work largely with what he inherited, and his signings were few and had to be astute - he rarely failed to deliver, as is exemplified by all the players you've listed above. I would imagine that many would remember most or all of those players as great players for Hibs. He genuinely built a team, using all of his transfer budget on one or two players each season, eventually culminating in the team we had from 1991-1995 (when we finshed 3rd and split the OF).

Whilst no doubt there were seasons of negative football, given our predicament for the first few years after his arrival, he had to play to our strengths and make us hard to beat - in short, he did what was necessary, when it was necessary. There were plenty posters on here (understandably) decrying our ability to close out matches and win ugly last season - we sure could've done with Miller-like organisational ability when we were losing 4, 5 and 6 goals to Hamilton, St. Johnstone and Motherwell respectively, due to being unable to defend against the most basic attacking threats in football - when we could not do what was necessary, when it was necessary.

Over the years we got better due to the increasing quality of the team, and though he no doubt stayed too long, we were still in far from bad shape when he left us - 5th in the league IIRC, with some good experienced pros still there (which sadly Jim Duffy let go for free, or a pittance). It took Jim Duffy less than a year to undo what Miller achieved over the course of a decade.

There's no doubt that I benefit from being so young that I have no misty eyed memories of the 70s, and would never have been narrow minded enough to be prejudiced against Miller for being 'a Rangers man'. But there's no escaping the fact that Hibs were crap when he took over, but we gradually got less crap, before going through the most horrendous time in our history and coming out the other side with a trophy, another final appearance, top half finishes and European football.

There's certainly no escaping that his derby record was horrendous and that's VERY hard to swallow - but he deserves to be remembered better than he is by many, many Hibs fans. I was delighted for him to be first team coach at a team that won the Champions League, and wish him all the best in his new job.

NGH
01-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Great post, Doddie.

I've written many a post on here about how wrong I believe it to be for people just to dismiss Miller's considerable achievements, whilst dismising him as a one dimensional, negative manager. God only knows what would have happened had we had a different manager during the takeover (Rafa Benitez has just shown that he can't manage effectively against a backdrop of uncertainty, and he's spent a quarter of a billion pounds on players), and for us to come out the other side with a trophy so soon after was an unbelievable achievement.

I remember the signings of Bell, Mitchell and McIntyre being announced in the new year (same day as the NY match with Hearts was postponed due to severe rain IIRC), and what 3 great bits of business. Bell was great in the short term with ingenuity and dribbling ability to unlock defences, with Mitchell being a stalwart for years to come - McIntyre eventually went on to be a key figure in our cup winning season with good performances and the coolest head around when taking pens (I remember him getting absolutely destroyed by Mark McGhee in the 1988 SC semi).

Back in the days before freedom of contract and when free transfers were a rarity and wholsesale changes in and out of clubs did not happen in the close season, he had to work largely with what he inherited, and his signings were few and had to be astute - he rarely failed to deliver, as is exemplified by all the players you've listed above. I would imagine that many would remember most or all of those players as great players for Hibs. He genuinely built a team, using all of his transfer budget on one or two players each season, eventually culminating in the team we had from 1991-1995 (when we finshed 3rd and split the OF).

Whilst no doubt there were seasons of negative football, given our predicament for the first few years after his arrival, he had to play to our strengths and make us hard to beat - in short, he did what was necessary. There were plenty posters on here (understandably) decrying our ability to close out matches and win ugly last season - we sure could've done with Miller-like organisational ability when we were losing 4, 5 and 6 goals to Hamilton, St. Johnstone and Motherwell respectively, due to being unable to defend against the most basic attacking threats in football.

Over the years we got better due to the increasing quality of the team, and though he no doubt stayed too long, we were still in far from bad shape when he left us - 5th in the league IIRC, with some good experienced pros still there (which sadly Jim Duffy let go for free, or a pittance). It took Jim Duffy less than a year to undo what Miller achieved over the course of a decade.

There's no doubt that I benefit from being so young that I have no misty eyed memories of the 70s, and would never have been narrow minded enough to be prejudiced against Miller for being 'a Rangers man'. But there's no escaping the fact that Hibs were crap when he took over, but we gradually got less crap, before going through the most horrendous time in our history and coming out the other side with a trophy, another final appearance, top half finishes and European football.

There's certainly no escaping that his derby record was horrendous and that's VERY hard to swallow - but he deserves to be remembered better than he is by many, many Hibs fans. I was delighted for him to be first team coach at a team that won the Champions League, and wish him all the best in his new job.

Both calling it close to true in my opinion. He stayed too long for his own good. But you only had to watch what followed to see what the alternative could be.

If you asssume that in a club like Hibs you can't buy a team and it takes time to build one (2-3 seasons) and that parts of every team you build are being dismantled at the same time (transfers, injury, age), in every 10 years you would do well to get it right twice. Five good years in row (results and performances) would have us in a dreamland. But the hangover from that kind of party can be severe - eg Aberdeen

poolman
01-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Good point.

Which one of them is still working in football, and which is a great pro living on former glories?

And here's me thinking modern or old fashioned game a forwards job is to put the ball in the net which Jimmy did regularly :rolleyes:

Also after doing some coaching when he retired from the game he decided it wasn't for him so your point is irrelevant

Bishop Hibee
01-07-2010, 12:26 PM

Hearts style historical revisionism here. Hibs fans chanted "one Alex Miller" on his debut v the Huns, a 0-0 draw if I recall correctly. He was given plenty chance by the fans. Micky Weir up front was a tactical master stroke I still haven't forgotten. I also disagree that Stanton, Blackley and Ormond used negative tactics. Miller's negativity didn't even give us too many wins most seasons.

He was the perfect manager to have during the takeover though as his work ethic was second to none and his signing of Keith Wright gave us the piece in the jigsaw to win the League Cup.

Wouldn't have lasted more than one season in the modern fans climate at ER. Expectations are higher than he could provide.

Would Spewisthecolour want him as Hun manager?

Brizo
01-07-2010, 12:30 PM
To quote a famous author it was the best of times and worst of times under Lexo. HIs achievements in winning the Skol Cup and buying some players with real flair and putting out exciting and entertaining teams for a couple of seasons are a fact. But so were the far greater amount of seasons of dour negative mind numbing rubbish. Its a case of take your pick which Lexo you want to remember.

As for the fans response to him he got a fantastic reception at his first game in charge at ER. Lexos downfall was a dour and miserabilist persona and an unwillingness or inability to engage with the fans , so that when the going got tough he wasnt granted the leeway a more charismatic manager would have got. Having said that he managed to stay at ER for 10 years :wink:

Unfortunately for me the good times he delivered are marred by him playing his clueless offspring Greg and Graeme in the first team - an act of blatant nepotism which took ripping the p@sh to a whole new level

Stevie Reid
01-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Hearts style historical revisionism here. Hibs fans chanted "one Alex Miller" on his debut v the Huns, a 0-0 draw if I recall correctly. He was given plenty chance by the fans. Micky Weir up front was a tactical master stroke I still haven't forgotten.

He played Weir up front in a game against Rangers at ER due to injuries - we won 2-0, Houchen and Weir both scored (Mickey also missed a sitter to make it 3) after Bonni Ginzberg sold the pies. Lexo was asked abnout his 'tactical master stroke' in interview after the game and said it wasn't anything he would do again, unless injuries forced his hand.

Phil D. Rolls
01-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Good point.

And here's me thinking modern or old fashioned game a forwards job is to put the ball in the net which Jimmy did regularly :rolleyes:

Also after doing some coaching when he retired from the game he decided it wasn't for him so your point is irrelevant

Jimmy O'rourke told a story bout him in the Diggers last Saturday that a long time ago AM told him that Jimmy wasn't up with the modern game

All you said was that Miller told O'Rourke he didn't understand the modern game. I hadn't realised their conversation was about the art of goal scoring. I assumed they were discussing tactics and goal scoring opportunities.

I think the length of Alex Miller's career is testament to the fact that he has been able to adapt to the modern game. Good on Jimmy if he preferred running a pub to being in football. But his relatively early departure from the scene would not put him in any position to judge what was happening once he was away from it.

Speedway
02-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Former Hibernian and Aberdeen manager Alex Miller has upset fans at his new club AIK Stockholm by selling popular winger Bojan Djordjic. (Daily Mail)

Making headlines already.

blackpoolhibs
02-07-2010, 02:21 PM
When Miller came on the stage at the usher hall recently, i thought he looked ill. He's certainly aged a lot, and looked frail imho.

nil7
02-07-2010, 10:26 PM
I challenged Miller at I think a do for Alan Sneddon at Leith Assembly Rooms, Jim Gray stepped in to calm it down and invited me and my mate down to ER to meet Alex and "get to understand his methods".

We went down and he genuinely believed that him playing for Rangers was the reason he was disliked. I told him that this was nonsense, and that personally that I would walk over broken glass to see a successful Hibs team regardless of manager.

The bottom line was that he was an arrogant Tw*t - had an overinflated view of himself - and only remained in the job because Dougie treated him like the prodigal son!

His record against them alone should have got him the sack, he didn't view these games as important enough, and there are so many stories of telling the backies not to go over the half way line and his painful method of bringing every man back for corners was so dull you wanted to throw yourself under a bus after watching his teams.

I'm sorry he was dreadful - his record was dreadful - and his tactics like watching a team play for penalties from the first minute.

He willl last less than a season at this team!

Phil D. Rolls
03-07-2010, 07:32 AM
I challenged Miller at I think a do for Alan Sneddon at Leith Assembly Rooms, Jim Gray stepped in to calm it down and invited me and my mate down to ER to meet Alex and "get to understand his methods".

We went down and he genuinely believed that him playing for Rangers was the reason he was disliked. I told him that this was nonsense, and that personally that I would walk over broken glass to see a successful Hibs team regardless of manager.

The bottom line was that he was an arrogant Tw*t - had an overinflated view of himself - and only remained in the job because Dougie treated him like the prodigal son!

His record against them alone should have got him the sack, he didn't view these games as important enough, and there are so many stories of telling the backies not to go over the half way line and his painful method of bringing every man back for corners was so dull you wanted to throw yourself under a bus after watching his teams.

I'm sorry he was dreadful - his record was dreadful - and his tactics like watching a team play for penalties from the first minute.

He willl last less than a season at this team!

Time has proved you wrong, why can't you just admit it? Your whole case against Miller is based on the fact you considered him an arrogant tw*t. Maybe he thought the same thing about you, trying to tell him how to do his job.

Hibbyradge
03-07-2010, 08:30 AM
He looks more and more like David Byrne.

I wonder if he'll play attacking football once in a lifetime.

CropleyWasGod
03-07-2010, 08:56 AM
He looks more and more like David Byrne.

I wonder if he'll play attacking football once in a lifetime.

Stop making sense :rolleyes:

Hiber-nation
03-07-2010, 12:29 PM
All his coaching ability and good signings (Jackson, Wright, O'Neill McAllister etc) were cancelled out by his record against that lot and the negative tactics in away games.

For every memory of the Skol Cup final and Videoton and Keith Keith Keith and ooh aah Jacksona there's always the sight of Willie Miller at left wing back at Motherwell shrugging his shoulders at the bench, wee Crunchie marking Rab McKinnon and not being allowed over the halfway line, and the worst Derby performance ever at the pbs when Goram saved us from a record defeat...and of course the Miller brothers. Some very good, some very bad, plenty indifferent.

hibsdaft
03-07-2010, 12:52 PM
these threads are an predictable as flag debates and the like.

bottom line for me is that Miller was a gent and a proper football man and for that reason alone i wish him well.

amazed nobody has picked up this quote from the original link to the story though:

"I also share AIK's philosophy in playing football - not kicking the ball"

:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
03-07-2010, 01:42 PM
All his coaching ability and good signings (Jackson, Wright, O'Neill McAllister etc) were cancelled out by his record against that lot and the negative tactics in away games.

For every memory of the Skol Cup final and Videoton and Keith Keith Keith and ooh aah Jacksona there's always the sight of Willie Miller at left wing back at Motherwell shrugging his shoulders at the bench, wee Crunchie marking Rab McKinnon and not being allowed over the halfway line, and the worst Derby performance ever at the pbs when Goram saved us from a record defeat...and of course the Miller brothers. Some very good, some very bad, plenty indifferent.

Any assessment of how the football club performed during that time has to be balanced by an admission that we were in deep doo doo financially.

Hiber-nation
03-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Any assessment of how the football club performed during that time has to be balanced by an admission that we were in deep doo doo financially.

True but I wasn't really thinking about that when I was dozing off at all these away games :wink:

PaulSmith
03-07-2010, 04:36 PM
From one ex player of that era, "Miller spent the entire week leading up to a game talking about what the other team would do and how to stop them, hardly mentioned what we would do to win the game. A great tactician who's attention to detail was brilliant but his man management was non existent"

For the Wright, Jackson, McAllister signings there was also the sight of seeing Ray Wilkins, Joe McLauchan and Andy Watson playing for Hibernian FC, and as one poster has already stated the playing of his two sons was absolutely incredible.

Phil D. Rolls
03-07-2010, 04:56 PM
True but I wasn't really thinking about that when I was dozing off at all these away games :wink:

Time's a great healer. :agree: