PDA

View Full Version : Boston

millarco
28-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Heading over to Boston soon for a 2-month work placement. Anyone ever been before? Got a list of sports games and stuff I'll be looking to catch, but would welcome any suggestions on things to do/places to go when I'm over there.

duncs
29-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Been to Boston three times now, the most recent being back in April for a week. Love the place, just a very relaxed city with lot's of good restaurants and bars.

It's the summer so all of Boston will be focused on the Red Sox (baseball team), who play at Fenway Park. Tickets can be quite difficult to get - Fenway has been sold out for all 81 home games for the past five years. It's an old fashioned ballpark built in 1912 and well worth doing the tour of if you can't get a ticket to a game. I'd also recommened just going to the area during game day even if it is just to eat and drink as the atmosphere is electric.

Boston is quite a compact city so most places can be walked to as well which is a bonus. Boston Common is beautiful and just a good place to laze about on and doing some reading. The New England Aquarium is well worth a visit. If you have a few days before you start working I'd suggest buying a GoBoston card, which gives you access to bus tours and free access to a whole range of places (like the Fenway tour and the New England Aquarium and lot's of other places).

Personally I quite enjoyed the JFK Presidential Library and Museum out at UMass too, but it might not be everyone's taste. The Duck tour is quite good as it gives you a different perspective of Boston from the Charles River but if I remember correctly was quite expensive. Harvard & MIT are well worth a visit too.

Also highly recommend going up the Prudential Center to the top about an hour before sunset - stunning panoramical views of Boston - beautiful.

Like I said, the best thing is just to get out and walk around and see what takes your fancy. Hopefully you'll love it as much as I do!

Sylar
29-06-2010, 03:06 PM
MIT is a great suggestion - was lucky enough to spend 8 months over there doing some research a couple of years ago towards my MSc - stunning campus and brilliant surroundings.

If you get a chance to get out of the city, head up to the Cape/Martha's Vineyard area. It's REALLY nice up there, especially in summer. The scenery is beautiful, and remniscent of many coastal towns in the UK.

Newport, RI is always worth a visit too - there's always something going on at the Waterfront, and if you get the timing right, you can be there for the Chowder cook-off festival which is a brilliant day by the water's edge!

If you're there in early August, be sure to try and take in a pre-season Patriots game - relaxed atmosphere, very good setup pre-game and not too far away from Boston (around 30 miles).

Leicester Fan
29-06-2010, 03:39 PM
I've driven through it a few times on the way to Skegness. Not the nicest part of Lincolnshire.

millarco
01-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Cheers, should be a busy few months by the sounds of things.

Hanny
02-07-2010, 04:35 PM
I've driven through it a few times on the way to Skegness. Not the nicest part of Lincolnshire.

:tee hee: