PDA

View Full Version : Scott Smith (U-19s)

BEEJ
28-06-2010, 11:54 AM
I see young Scott Smith has signed a new contract keeping him at Easter Road until June 2012.

Still only 18 but this lad is a great prospect and this is really good news! :thumbsup:

matty_f
28-06-2010, 11:58 AM
I see young Scott Smith has signed a new contract keeping him at Easter Road until June 2012.

Still only 18 but this lad is a great prospect and this is really good news! :thumbsup:

Been in the 19's squad since he was 16 (possibly before that). Very good player and a standout from the last two seasons. Glad he's signed up for another couple of years.:thumbsup:

Mibbes Aye
28-06-2010, 12:06 PM

:agree: While undoubtedly still having a long way to go, he seems highly thought of and acquitted himself well the couple of times I've seen him, as I recall :thumbsup:

It's good to have decent young players pushing to move up, both in a wee bit additional motivation for the current first-team squad and in encouraging other youngsters.

Sweep
28-06-2010, 12:13 PM

Thought this thread was about me but then i thought naw im crap at football and im 38.

Billy
28-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Been in the 19's squad since he was 16 (possibly before that). Very good player and a standout from the last two seasons. Glad he's signed up for another couple of years.:thumbsup:

You are correct Matty. He played in a scottish Youth Cup quarter final tie at Celtic Park aged 15.

PaulSmith
28-06-2010, 12:22 PM

Going against the grain here but I thought he struggled badly last season and doesn't have the height to play at centre half nor the passing/athletic ability to play LB.

Maybe one of the players that would progress if loaned out for a year to a SFL club

DaveF
28-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Going against the grain here but I thought he struggled badly last season and doesn't have the height to play at centre half nor the passing/athletic ability to play LB.

Maybe one of the players that would progress if loaned out for a year to a SFL club

Would agree with that, but then I'm not entirely sure what his 'natural' position is?

Out of interest, how tall is he? Not that height is the be all and end all - just interested.

oconnors_strip
28-06-2010, 03:25 PM
You are correct Matty. He played in a scottish Youth Cup quarter final tie at Celtic Park aged 15.

Smithy stood out a mile in that game, he kept the two front men quiet for alot of the match:top marks

scott didnt have a great a season as he could have as his centre half partner wasnt as reliable as moyes from the previous season, he was having to mop up a lot of aaron's silly mistakes. he isnt a natural left back but he covered that position when booth went on loan to arbroath. i diagree about his passing though, some of his balls into the box were pinpoint accurate, some i would say were david murphy type.

as for the height, how tall does a centre half have to be?!?!?! majority of hibs and other team's defenders are of the same height and build, scott has broad shoulders and has just turned 18 so still has time to grow and develop. not having a dig here but how many games did you see last season?

Would agree with that, but then I'm not entirely sure what his 'natural' position is?

Out of interest, how tall is he? Not that height is the be all and end all - just interested.

his natural position is left side centre half, but he can also play left back and has played in midfield during his younger years.

he is 6ft1 (at least)!! how tall does a centre half have to be these days?

my dad and a few others have said this for many years that the hibs strip always deceives the height of players. when you see the youth players in their track suits/own clothes they are much taller than what they look like on the pitch

BEEJ
28-06-2010, 03:43 PM

For a CB it's a lot to do with the partnership you have in the CB pairing. With Moyes alongside him Smith was terrific - but there was not as settled a situation in the U-19s last season for obvious reasons.

This lad reads the game really well and when I've seen him play (admittedly when he was paired with Moyes) he was outstanding.

PaulSmith
28-06-2010, 06:43 PM
There's not a chance that Smith is 6ft 1"..lucky if he's a fag paper above 5ft 10".

O'Connors Strip, I wouldn't hold out too much hope for the young guys in the 19s as it's a massive step up and although they might be top players in the 19 league if you put them up against a robust experienced centre forward in the SPL they'd get rag dolled all about the park.

I don't judge players on how good they are in the 19s league but think about how they'd get on in the SPL.. would they get away with that poor touch, that mis-timed tackle, that petulant push, reacting to the shouts from the crowd, missing that one chance that you get during the game. Playing well in the U 19's is just a tiny step towards being a regular in the first team squad IMO of course.

oconnors_strip
28-06-2010, 07:38 PM
There's not a chance that Smith is 6ft 1"..lucky if he's a fag paper above 5ft 10".

O'Connors Strip, I wouldn't hold out too much hope for the young guys in the 19s as it's a massive step up and although they might be top players in the 19 league if you put them up against a robust experienced centre forward in the SPL they'd get rag dolled all about the park.

I don't judge players on how good they are in the 19s league but think about how they'd get on in the SPL.. would they get away with that poor touch, that mis-timed tackle, that petulant push, reacting to the shouts from the crowd, missing that one chance that you get during the game. Playing well in the U 19's is just a tiny step towards being a regular in the first team squad IMO of course.

considering im 5ft 8 i would say smithy is a good 4 inches taller than me.

i dont judge any of the players at youth level as its all about learning, improving and progressing. i do look out for players who might have the potential to make it in the spl and how they can improve their game in order to help them earn a first team contract.

i know its a huge step up from 19s to first team, ive watched this level at hibs for 15 years and have seen the likes of riordan, o'connor, thomson, brown etc come through the ranks and i know how hard it is to adapt to all these things that happen in the spl but they only learn from experience.

i agree with you about it being a tiny step towards being a 1st team regular, noone is saying or expecting smithy, booth or taggart to be pushing themselves into hughes' plans for this coming season.

Jonnyboy
28-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Have to say I'm chuffed to the gutties that Smithy has signed this deal. Cracking young player IMO :agree:

Hibs On Tour
28-06-2010, 10:40 PM
he is 6ft1 (at least)!! how tall does a centre half have to be these days?

my dad and a few others have said this for many years that the hibs strip always deceives the height of players. when you see the youth players in their track suits/own clothes they are much taller than what they look like on the pitch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrfoU7ol6gc

Sorry for the lack of quality - best I can find on there...

:wink:

oconnors_strip
28-06-2010, 10:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrfoU7ol6gc

Sorry for the lack of quality - best I can find on there...

:wink:

:faf: its a bit different to saying the player in the distance looks smaller when you are standing on the touch line every week at east mains :wink:

as for comparing hibs players to cows:greengrin