PDA

View Full Version : Ain't karma a bitch?

--------
27-06-2010, 04:22 PM
"Winning" the World Cup 4-2 with one goal that never was and another scored with spectators encroaching on the pitch....

..... and 44 years later the auld besom sneaks up and bites you on the bum like that. :devil:

That was just about the most enjoyable afternoon's football I've experienced since March 2007. :thumbsup:

(((Fergus)))
27-06-2010, 04:39 PM
no mention of karma in the media so far...when will the penny drop

stu in nottingham
27-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Not a little sympathy from you on such a terrible decision, Doddie?

Me neither. :wink:

I'm going to enjoy a pint or two out in Nottingham tonight, if I can manage to sidestep the burning BMW's that is.

--------
27-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Not a little sympathy from you on such a terrible decision, Doddie?

Me neither. :wink:

I'm going to enjoy a pint or two out in Nottingham tonight, if I can manage to sidestep the burning BMW's that is.

I have a fair degree of sympathy for one or two of the England players - not Terry or Ashley Cole or Gerrard, mind - and I can appreciate that there are lots of ordinary supporters who must have been gutted that so obvious a goal was disallowed. (I remember the same thing happening to us in a Fairs' Cup tie against SV Hamburg in 1969 - horrid feeling it was.)

However, since we in Scotland are the only nation in Europe that's had our greatest rivals' success and hopes for success rammed down our throats morning, noon and night throughout every World Cup....

.... enjoy your evening, Stu, and take care. Some of them aren't nice people.

dangermouse
28-06-2010, 08:40 AM
"Winning" the World Cup 4-2 with one goal that never was and another scored with spectators encroaching on the pitch....

..... and 44 years later the auld besom sneaks up and bites you on the bum like that. :devil:

That was just about the most enjoyable afternoon's football I've experienced since March 2007. :thumbsup:

You're forgetting the one that was scored from a free kick and the ball was moving when the kick was taken so the final score should really have be 2 -1 to Germany :greengrin

stu in nottingham
28-06-2010, 09:01 AM
The main line i got last night was 'I'm glad we're out, it will save us from further embarrassment'.

Aye, ok. :wink:

I can report that the official Morris Dancing binge has been cancelled

--------
28-06-2010, 12:06 PM
The main line i got last night was 'I'm glad we're out, it will save us from further embarrassment'.

Aye, ok. :wink:

I can report that the official Morris Dancing binge has been cancelled

That's the line that Scots supporters usually come out with after we fail to qualify for the finals. :greengrin

Morris dancing - maybe that's all John Terry's good for?

Newsflash - "After their defeat yesterday at the hands of the Germans, the England players visited an orphanage on the outskirts of Cape Town. 'Our hearts went out to them - all those wee faces, so sad, so bereft of hope,' said Kwame, aged 6." :wink:

iwasthere1972
28-06-2010, 12:32 PM
That's the line that Scots supporters usually come out with after we fail to qualify for the finals. :greengrin

Morris dancing - maybe that's all John Terry's good for?

Newsflash - "After their defeat yesterday at the hands of the Germans, the England players visited an orphanage on the outskirts of Cape Town. 'Our hearts went out to them - all those wee faces, so sad, so bereft of hope,' said Kwame, aged 6." :wink:

When the 4th German goal went in I'm sure I saw Mick Jagger singing

:singing: I'm going tell you what it's gonna be
A Germany win and no penalteees :singing:

Now we can get on with the World Cup in peace. Although got to say I couldn't get enough last night of all the greeting face ex England players such as Mullery and Butcher.

C'mon the Argies.

--------
28-06-2010, 12:39 PM
When the 4th German goal went in I'm sure I saw Mick Jagger singing

:singing: I'm going tell you what it's gonna be
A Germany win and no penalteees :singing:

Now we can get on with the World Cup in peace. Although got to say I couldn't get enough last night of all the greeting face ex England players such as Mullery and Butcher.

C'mon the Argies.

Then you may enjoy THIS wee clip of 1970. Note the total absence of the 'great' Bobby Moore at all 3 of the WG goals....

The Uwe Seeler header's something REALLY special. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_6EEAwm-cE&feature=related

iwasthere1972
28-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Then you may enjoy THIS wee clip of 1970. Note the total absence of the 'great' Bobby Moore at all 3 of the WG goals....

:grr: Council don't let me view Youtube (even on lunch break). Will have a wee look tonight. I'm sure I will enjoy.

Anyone hear Mullery on SSN yesterday (after the game) saying that Capello had done a fairly good job by getting England to the European Championships and the World Cup. He also said they did well in the Euros. :confused: Pretty sure they didn't qualify but I'm no expert. :devil:

--------
28-06-2010, 12:55 PM
:grr: Council don't let me view Youtube (even on lunch break). Will have a wee look tonight. I'm sure I will enjoy.

Anyone hear Mullery on SSN yesterday (after the game) saying that Capello had done a fairly good job by getting England to the European Championships and the World Cup. He also said they did well in the Euros. :confused: Pretty sure they didn't qualify but I'm no expert. :devil:

Sorry - got the wrong link at first - check the edited post for the right one.

You WILL enjoy. :greengrin

bingo70
28-06-2010, 12:57 PM

He has just been on SSN and he kept calling them West Germany, was doing my head in :grr:

iwasthere1972
28-06-2010, 12:59 PM
He has just been on SSN and he kept calling them West Germany, was doing my head in :grr:

They were West Germany in 1970 when they won 3-2. :devil:

nonshinyfinish
28-06-2010, 01:09 PM

With the back of his head! :faf:

Greentinted
28-06-2010, 01:45 PM
There was a 'best of' type programme on recently regarding World cup moments and Bonetti was hung out to dry for the 3-2 game. Having watched the whole match surely a large degree of culpability lies in the full backs alongside the diety that was Bobby Moore. Ramsay was hardly awash with glory either with his ill judged substitution of Charlton, probably the one guy who could contrive a goal from nothing. Add to that an inevitably compact and ruthless performance from the Germans and it surely was no surprise England found their level. That England team was decent but certainly not brilliant. Arguably the squads that failed to qualify for 74 and 78 was much better but had a problem breaking down our Polish brethren!

--------
28-06-2010, 02:22 PM
There was a 'best of' type programme on recently regarding World cup moments and Bonetti was hung out to dry for the 3-2 game. Having watched the whole match surely a large degree of culpability lies in the full backs alongside the diety that was Bobby Moore. Ramsay was hardly awash with glory either with his ill judged substitution of Charlton, probably the one guy who could contrive a goal from nothing. Add to that an inevitably compact and ruthless performance from the Germans and it surely was no surprise England found their level. That England team was decent but certainly not brilliant. Arguably the squads that failed to qualify for 74 and 78 was much better but had a problem breaking down our Polish brethren!

:agree: Bonetti got the blame for that defeat. Entirely unfairly, IMO.

I watched it in the Edinburgh University Union - nearly got a doing from some English guys for the yell I let out when Muller scored.

(Actually, for the yells I let out when Beckenbauer, then Seeler, then Muller scored.... I was totally impartial - I didn't care who scored against England that time.)

England were in control until Ramsey took Charlton off - Coleman the commentator remarked that it was only common sense to 'keep him fresh for the semi-final'. 'Counting chickens' was the phrase that came to my mind at the time....

As soon as Charlton came off, Beckenbauer was free to start making forward runs - he had been marking Charlton throughout the game. Hooking BC was a horrible tactical mistake and the real reason England lost.

Uwe Seeler was 5' 7" tall and as you can see totally outjumped Brian Labone who was well over 6 feet. For all three goals the England centre-backs - Labone and Moore - were AWOL and lost without trace.

Memories are made of this! :devil:

iwasthere1972
28-06-2010, 02:51 PM

5 foot 7 and a half inches outjumps giant and an outstretched arm. :faf:

I remember Muller scoring as if it was yesterday. Eh haud oan a minute he did. :devil:

--------
28-06-2010, 02:57 PM
5 foot 7 and a half inches outjumps giant and an outstretched arm. :faf:

I remember Muller scoring as if it was yesterday. Eh haud oan a minute he did. :devil:

So he did - twice. :devil:

GhostofBolivar
28-06-2010, 03:34 PM
So he did - twice. :devil:

You play for Bayern Muncih, you wear #13 for the national team and your name's Muller?

You'd better be good.