SaulGoodman
27-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Couldn't agree more. The lot of them in there should piss off :agree:

Gus
27-06-2010, 03:00 PM
they did say its bad for the game, doesnt matter who scores

Sylar
Alan Shearer: "England could go out of this World Cup as a result of this decision".

Eh, naw, England will go out because they've inferior to a better German side.

Still, good to get the excuses in early :bye:

Toaods
Shearer :

"there's a chance that England could go out of the World Cup because of that decision....now that's totally, totally wrong."

:faf:

Baldy Foghorn
27-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Shearer :

"there's a chance that England could go out of the World Cup because of that decision....now that's totally, totally wrong."

He is spot on though...... Different second half altogether had England gone in at half time 2-2......

CraigHibee
27-06-2010, 03:03 PM
if it had been the other way about there would be a slight wimper from that deluded bunch (if that)

i hope they get gubbed!

Kevvy1875
27-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Its what they call Karma

Borders Hibby
27-06-2010, 03:05 PM
piss off Lawrenson.....:bye:

Guy critisiced the germans for being a rainbow nation, what about Lawro playing for the Irish!!

God Petrie
27-06-2010, 03:06 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_D36P1iWeXNs/SXP8K_fhEOI/AAAAAAAABtg/eDPgSFGxxFA/s400/cartman_tears.gif

ionahibby
27-06-2010, 03:07 PM
retribution for 1966 me thinks :greengrin all they have gone on about is goal line tech :yawn:

Toaods
27-06-2010, 03:11 PM
How is Lawrenson in a job at the BBC?

On the Lampard shot off the bar:

"Neuer's hands were by his side..he didn't move."

...as the slow-mo shows the keeper move to his right, raise his arms level with his head but wrongly think the ball is over he bar.

Gus
27-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Alan Shearer: "England could go out of this World Cup as a result of this decision".

aye very true, we could of got beat by the mighty footballing nation Ghana

but yes its good to get the excuses in :wink:

Makaveli
27-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Lawrenson is an embarrassment to whichever country it is he's supposed to be from.

iwasthere1972
27-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Lawrenson is an embarrassment to whichever country it is he's supposed to be from.

He's from Pishistan.

HibbyAndy
27-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Never heard England moaning when they got a goal in 66 that never crossed the line eh?

FUDS.

Gatecrasher
27-06-2010, 03:41 PM
He is spot on though...... Different second half altogether had England gone in at half time 2-2......

shocking decision, imagine the outcry if that were scotland or hibs, i dont blame the english 1 bit for being pissed off at that :agree:

HibbyAndy
27-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Another brilliant qoute from the commentater at the start of the game " So Mark what do we think, Maybe 2 German players would get in the England team?"..Arrogant twats.

How many Algerians would get in the England team? Yet the passed yous off the park for 25 minutes :cool2:

If England fans werent so up themselves no one would dislike them as much.

(((Fergus)))
27-06-2010, 03:47 PM
retribution for 1966 me thinks :greengrin all they have gone on about is goal line tech :yawn:

they should bring in goal line tech now...and make it retrospective http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeXWEVXhdUo

Toaods
27-06-2010, 03:54 PM
"...and we'd have said that if it had been any other country."

degenerated
27-06-2010, 03:55 PM
shocking decision, imagine the outcry if that were scotland or hibs, i dont blame the english 1 bit for being pissed off at that :agree:

and you can't blame the rest of us that have had to suffer their nonsense throughout this world cup for finding it hilarious :greengrin

iwasthere1972
27-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Another brilliant qoute from the commentater at the start of the game " So Mark what do we think, Maybe 2 German players would get in the England team?"..Arrogant twats.

How many Algerians would get in the England team? Yet the passed yous off the park for 25 minutes :cool2:

How many of that England team would even get in the Hibs team?

Whats the square root of nought?

Tis been a good weekend. :thumbsup:

Ed De Gramo
27-06-2010, 04:06 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHOf3s70w-c

:greengrin:thumbsup:

Woody1985
27-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Spare a thought for all the fans that have booked up for the full month, there were some on SSN this morning.

:faf: :faf: :faf:

whiskyhibby
27-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Oxygen could be put to a better use in my opinion. :greengrin

:thumbsup::thumbsup::agree::agree:

whiskyhibby
27-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Spare a thought for all the fans that have booked up for the full month, there were some on SSN this morning.

At least now they should get the chance to see a half-decent football team...........

:faf::faf::faf::bye::bye::bye:

Hibbie_Cameron
27-06-2010, 04:17 PM
They were slagging of Klose and Podolski about their goals ratio in the bundesliga and 10 minutes later both had scored

Toaods
27-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Shabby Lazslo's looking for a job.

...now with all that International experience he has accumulated with Germany....:wink:

Kaiser1962
27-06-2010, 04:21 PM

Absolutely and should be looked at. But where do you stop? Upson tried his best to pull Klose'e arm of at the first. If he had pulled him over he would have been sent off. Should he not get sent off because the German didn't fall over despite Upson's fouling? Upson tried to prevent a goal scoring opportunity through foul play (as did Barry at the 4th but missed ball man the lot) so just because the foul play wasnt successful there is no penalty? Dosent seem fair either.

Engurlund should thank the Krauts for beating them cos the Argies would absolutely rip them a new one.

down-the-slope
27-06-2010, 04:25 PM

:rolleyes: they will get to see some decent football now at least with less stress

:tee hee:

SloopJB
27-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Commentators apoplectic regarding the disallowed goal as it was clear to everyone it was a goal and I'm sure had the referee been in the studio he would have seen it.

He can only give what he or his assistants see, shame, but hey.
I firmly believe there would have been a different complexion on the game had the goal been allowed to stand.

Given the superiority in technical ability displayed by the German team when dismantling the English team in the second half it could easily have been 4 - 2, maybe 5 - 2.

nice ending to the transmission with the replaying of the 66 miss, then the replay of their goal that wasn't allowed to stand today.

Very reminicent of a Scotland type campaign, are they catching up with us?

LancashireHibby
27-06-2010, 04:31 PM

Don't think anyone can poke fun at the majority of those who are out there at the minute, to be honest - I don't think any one of us would turn down the chance to be there, and there are plenty of flags in the crowd at various games from countries that haven't even qualified (including Scotland) - shall we laugh at them as well?

The arrogance comes from a) the media and b) the bandwagon - didn't bother going out watching the game as I knew the pubs would be full of face-painted numpties (plus I'd have been battered for grinning after every German goal!) but the 'proper' football fans I know were well aware of the German threat.

Phil D. Rolls
27-06-2010, 04:52 PM
I 'ope Capello is really hurting after this, I would just love it if he was hurting the way we are, I would just love it! :faf:

Woody1985
27-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Don't think anyone can poke fun at the majority of those who are out there at the minute, to be honest - I don't think any one of us would turn down the chance to be there, and there are plenty of flags in the crowd at various games from countries that haven't even qualified (including Scotland) - shall we laugh at them as well?

The arrogance comes from a) the media and b) the bandwagon - didn't bother going out watching the game as I knew the pubs would be full of face-painted numpties (plus I'd have been battered for grinning after every German goal!) but the 'proper' football fans I know were well aware of the German threat.

I can laugh all I want.

The guy on SSN said that he was staying right to the end and looking forward to attending all 7 of England's games.

hibsbollah
27-06-2010, 07:21 PM
" So Mark what do we think, Maybe 2 German players would get in the England team?"..Arrogant twats.

I couldnt believe it when I heard that:bitchy: Guy Mowbray's probably never even seen a game outside of England.

Even before i'd watched them dismantling England today, I would have had Mertesacker, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Ozil, Muller, and one of Podolski/Klose as well, in front of the likes of Matthew Upson:greengrin.

judas
27-06-2010, 07:32 PM

But at that stage England were only 1-2 and had finished the 1st half on top. So he was making a reasonable point. Note his use of the word 'could'.

Toaods
27-06-2010, 07:41 PM
I couldnt believe it when I heard that:bitchy: Guy Mowbray's probably never even seen a game outside of England.

Even before i'd watched them dismantling England today, I would have had Mertesacker, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Ozil, Muller, and one of Podolski/Klose as well, in front of the likes of Matthew Upson:greengrin.

no way, I quote:

Mertesacker - no pace and can't turn, did you see him twhen Rooney went by him.

Lahm - one of the two best full backs in the world (presume the other wasn't either of the Brazilians but Ashley Cole)

Schweinsteiger - regarded as a bit of a playboy inhis earlier days but has been working on sticking to the football......(unlike Beckham then)

Muller - doesn't really tackle + he didn't like the attention Ashley Cole gave him.

Podolski - only managed to score 3 goals for Cologne last season.

Klose - struggled with fitness for some time.

No doubt about it...those Germans are overhyped...:faf:

joebakerforever
27-06-2010, 07:57 PM
No wonder the English are so unpopular abroad when just before the end, Mowbray & Lawrenson started slagging off the host city (Bloemfontein) as being a primitive place regarding getting a drink and it's lack of networking communications.

OK you're feeling sore because your team has been well & truly gubbed, but is it necessary to come out with the arrogant master race crap

Iggy Pope
27-06-2010, 08:29 PM
no way, I quote:

Mertesacker - no pace and can't turn, did you see him twhen Rooney went by him.

Lahm - one of the two best full backs in the world (presume the other wasn't either of the Brazilians but Ashley Cole)

Schweinsteiger - regarded as a bit of a playboy inhis earlier days but has been working on sticking to the football......(unlike Beckham then)

Muller - doesn't really tackle + he didn't like the attention Ashley Cole gave him.

Podolski - only managed to score 3 goals for Cologne last season.

Klose - struggled with fitness for some time.

No doubt about it...those Germans are overhyped...:faf:

Dearie Me.
And you spoke to me about tension after the Algeria game.
Yer becoming deranged.
Can I suggest a good book?

Part/Time Supporter
27-06-2010, 08:36 PM
They were slagging of Klose and Podolski about their goals ratio in the bundesliga and 10 minutes later both had scored

That will be the same Klose who has scored, erm, 50 goals for Germany.

Some goalkeepers have scored more goals than Heskey.

Just as well they practised penalties.

:agree:

woody47
27-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Hope someone buys Lawrenson a lorry load of handkies, the weeping faced to££er. I don't think I despise a commentator more than this ar$ehole. He has done nothing more than slag every team off during this cup.
Lawrenson GIRFUY ya deluded has been. Engerlund were humped and even though they had a perfectly good goal chalked off they never deserved anything more than the humping they took.
:bye::bye::bye::bye:
Maybe the media will learn from this although I doubt it. They will concentrate on the goal that was never given rather than the fact the Germany could have and should have scored ten.
Be interesting to see how the commentary goes from now on though. How nmany times will be get 66 brought up now. :greengrin:greengrin

Toaods
27-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Dearie Me.
And you spoke to me about tension after the Algeria game.
Yer becoming deranged.
Can I suggest a good book?

yup could do with something else.... :hi:

PC Stamp
27-06-2010, 10:05 PM
England should be thankful that was apparently just an average German side.

Imagine what a good one would have done to them! :greengrin

down the slope
27-06-2010, 10:05 PM
John Terry has just said that they thought they could have at least got to the final !!!, they still don't get it that the English players are the worst performers in a good league, things for them are not going to get any better soon as they have virtually no young players ready to step in to replace the "golden generation".

ballengeich
27-06-2010, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE=Toaods;2502622]

Muller - he didn't like the attention Ashley Cole gave him.
QUOTE]

Maybe he could discuss this problem with Cheryl.

ballengeich
27-06-2010, 10:34 PM
John Terry has just said that they thought they could have at least got to the final !!!, they still don't get it that the English players are the worst performers in a good league, things for them are not going to get any better soon as they have virtually no young players ready to step in to replace the "golden generation".

The "golden generation" was a Portuguese term for Luis Figo and his contemporaries.

They won a series of European and World maximum age competitions. Their English equivalents haven't taken any golds from national team competitions at any level. The phrase is just a marketing device.

SaulGoodman
27-06-2010, 10:52 PM

marleyhib
27-06-2010, 10:59 PM

Surely 11 would have been the right answer

Hibbie_Cameron
27-06-2010, 11:00 PM

Funny you should say that. In the Israeli league last season the Nigera keeper scored 7 goals for his club side, a mixture of penalties and free kicks. Heskey scored 3:greengrin

clerriehibs
27-06-2010, 11:07 PM
No wonder the English are so unpopular abroad when just before the end, Mowbray & Lawrenson started slagging off the host city (Bloemfontein) as being a primitive place regarding getting a drink and it's lack of networking communications.

OK you're feeling sore because your team has been well & truly gubbed, but is it necessary to come out with the arrogant master race crap

His team? Isn't 'lawro' oirish? No? 39 caps? Still no? Jings ... what a mockery this international caps business is. Hope that Driver clown doesn't go around supporting England when he's so totally Scottish.

Hibbyradge
27-06-2010, 11:10 PM

Even before i'd watched them dismantling England today, I would have had Mertesacker, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Ozil, Muller, and one of Podolski/Klose as well, in front of the likes of Matthew Upson :greengrin.

Erm, that's one.

Ryan91
27-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Mesut Oezil looks like a cracking player, he ran the show for Germany, constantly cutting apart the England defence like a hot knife through butter. I think goal-line technology is a bad idea, I can understand it working in a game like Tennis, but not in football, it also works in Rugby and in Cricket, but these games are less fluid when compared to football, but as they say Payback's A Bitch. Let's face it England are at best a mediocre team, and they were well beaten by a far superior German side, the Argentina -v- Germany QF is going to be a cracker and a tough one to call, I can see it going all the way to Penalties possibly with a few goals, but given that the Argentine defence is shaky I could see Germany sneaking a Victory after 90 mins.

hibsbollah
28-06-2010, 06:10 AM
Erm, that's one.

Thats why I said 'the likes of'.

Assuming you're interested, Mertesacker better than Upson, Lahm better than Johnson or Cole (he can play both sides), Schweinsteiger and Ozil better than Barry and Lampard in midfield, Muller better than Defoe up front.

Haymaker
28-06-2010, 06:24 AM
I had someone in the pub yesterday at 12, england hat, shirt, flag, gay Sun plastic vuvuzela the lot, tell me in all honesty that England would win "8-0".

Seriously, I am not joking. He looked me in the eye and said England would win 8-0.

He finished his drink, called me a **** and stormed off when I said I thought Germany would win 2-0.

It is dickheads like that who piss me off.

Haymaker
28-06-2010, 06:26 AM

Even though they had poor seasons, Klose and Podulski have 90 goals between them at international level. And Podulski is only 24/25? They may have been poor but they can hit the net at international level.

Borders Hibby
28-06-2010, 07:03 AM

Assuming you're interested, Mertesacker better than Upson, Lahm better than Johnson or Cole (he can play both sides), Schweinsteiger and Ozil better than Barry and Lampard in midfield, Muller better than Defoe up front.

:agree: I would have had their goalie too. And anyone ahead of Wright Philips, Heskey and Lennon.

Hibbyradge
28-06-2010, 07:10 AM

All of these are debatable.

If you're an England supporter, you're likely going to see the merits of your own players unless there's an obvious superstar in the opposition.

It's the polar extremes of opinion which do my head in.

On here, everything English is bad. This is exactly the same behaviour and attitude which people critisise the media for except it's like looking in a mirrir.

Next time Scotland play England, have a look at how we compare our players to theirs.

For what it's worth, I disagree about Defoe (Muller is still young) and Lampard and you can't replace both Cole and Johnson with Laam. He's good, I grant you that, but not that good! :greengrin

Hibbyradge
28-06-2010, 07:22 AM
:agree: I would have had their goalie too. And anyone ahead of Wright Philips, Heskey and Lennon.

How can you ctitisise anyone?

These are even more biased comments than anything Lawrenson or his mate said.

You must have seen a lot of the German keeper to think he's better than James because, based on yesterday's game alone, the German looked extremely shaky.

David James was outstanding.

skipster7
28-06-2010, 07:51 AM
lawrensons droning does my head in:grr: early doors when cole won the ball but followed right through and caught Muller a dull one he said " have a bit of that " unbelievable:bitchy: then "haven't they got some Polish born players as well " erm didn't you play for Ireland and are saying WE when talking about England.complete fud of a monotone man with a thatched barnet to boot !!

Phil MaGlass
28-06-2010, 08:44 AM
"Happy days are here again lalalalala lalalalala, now I can get on and enjoy the world cup properly.
GIRFUY Lawrenson ya twa1.
Im glad Im not paying a TV licence to gie this guy a wage. England should have been humped by 6 or 7.Never mind the goal they had chalked off. They were just not at the races, how bad have they been since the first game? RANK ROTTEN.Outplayed and outranked by USA and Algeria.
I do feel for the decent supporters who have spent hard earned cash to go out and follow their team,but for wan4s like Lawrenson,Lineker,Shearer and their media I have been sick to the back teeth of their patronising and belittling verging on the racist comments they have been making at5 the expense of other,better countries in the WC,GIRFUY,s

hibsbollah
28-06-2010, 07:03 PM

Well obviously, we're debating:greengrin

I dont think 'everything thats english is bad'. My family might have something to say if that was the case:wink: Its the total ignorance of European, South American, African and anywhere else's football by the pundits that irritate me. Jean Sebastian Veron is South American footballer of the year and was instrumental in the qualifiers. However, Mick McCarthy, in a group stage game, has to ask his fellow commentator whether 'he was the same guy that was at Man U a few years back'. A world cup commentator not knowing that level of information is like a MOTD commentator not knowing Rooney used to play for Everton. I'm not asking for massive knowledge. Just some basic ****ing research and respect for the audience as well as the opposition.

ronaldo7
28-06-2010, 07:32 PM

This is where the Germans ran the show. Schweinsteiger was all over the place, and the lad Ozil is just pure class. The way he gave Barry a 5 yard start and made him look like he was treading water for the last goal and then nutmegged Cole... Sweet. Morris minor v Mercedes, with a hint of Turkish delight.

Ozil is one who has lit up the competition for me:top marks

Borders Hibby
28-06-2010, 07:44 PM
How can you ctitisise anyone?

These are even more biased comments than anything Lawrenson or his mate said.

You must have seen a lot of the German keeper to think he's better than James because, based on yesterday's game alone, the German looked extremely shaky.

Now thats funny!:agree:

Dunbar Hibee
28-06-2010, 09:37 PM

I dont think 'everything thats english is bad'. My family might have something to say if that was the case:wink: Its the total ignorance of European, South American, African and anywhere else's football by the pundits that irritate me. Jean Sebastian Veron is South American footballer of the year and was instrumental in the qualifiers. However, Mick McCarthy, in a group stage game, has to ask his fellow commentator whether 'he was the same guy that was at Man U a few years back'. A world cup commentator not knowing that level of information is like a MOTD commentator not knowing Rooney used to play for Everton. I'm not asking for massive knowledge. Just some basic ****ing research and respect for the audience as well as the opposition.
:agree::top marks

Hibs On Tour
28-06-2010, 10:14 PM

I saw the game and heard that particular piece of commentary and - could just be me - but I didn't take it that way. The way I took it was that he was comparing how well he was playing currently with how [poorly IMHO] he was playing when in the EPL with Man U and Chelsea. I genuinely didn't take it that he was unsure about whether it was actually the same person...

That's 100% not to say that MM doesn't come across as a complete breast in every way though!

Hibs On Tour
28-06-2010, 10:27 PM

If you're an England supporter, you're likely going to see the merits of your own players unless there's an obvious superstar in the opposition.

It's the polar extremes of opinion which do my head in.

On here, everything English is bad. This is exactly the same behaviour and attitude which people critisise the media for except it's like looking in a mirrir.

Next time Scotland play England, have a look at how we compare our players to theirs.

For what it's worth, I disagree about Defoe (Muller is still young) and Lampard and you can't replace both Cole and Johnson with Laam. He's good, I grant you that, but not that good! :greengrin

Agree 100% :agree:

For me, its precisely the same kind of behaviour in reverse that those spouting it espouse as their reasons for spouting it! For me, its just the same and just as annoying and petty - trying to dress it up as part of standard rivalry is just nonsense. Credit where its due - they got there again, we didn't again. Green-eyed monster at the base of most of it IMO. In the same way those ********s across the road go on about our new stand/stadium not being full instead of going on about how their chiefs huvnae built their stand yet...

FWIW there can be absolutely no debate that Germany were the better side by a long country mile yesterday [and indeed all through the entire tournament]. With the shocking decision for the goal-that-wasn't and the fact that this could well have turned the game on its head seeing how England were flying at the time and it was just before half-time, genuinely think if the goal had been given it would have been a 50-50 call as to how the second half would have panned out, though justice in the end was done as the best team by far went through.

Other than Lampard and James I can't think of any players on their side who even got close to pass marks - some like Terry, Johnson, Barry and Upson [despite his goal] were simply abysmal, while others like Gerrard and Rooney were non-existant when you needed your big players to turn up and be counted. As to what Capello thought he was doing, stubborness only extends you so much excuses - you need three goals, you do not pull off a striker to replace with Heskey... you could have replaced with practically any player and provided more goal threat! I've been somewhat surprised with Capello - he's looked tactically naieve and out of his depth somewhat, indeed possibly also with the man-management side of things, although you could likewise say the English were doing the prima-dona bit...

Given how England - despite being pish almost all over the park - ran Germany fairly ragged for those 10 minutes and should have went in level with a pretty even chance to win things thereafter, I can't see Germany beating Argentina in the 1/4's. Argentina have played as a pretty solid unit thus far and although RB is a problem for them, can see them disposing of Germany [albeit less easily than they would have England]. Have heard others say this German team was aimed more at the next WC and if so I would reckon they will be major candidates for the next Euros in 2 years time and major candidates for the next WC.

Can see a few bleak years ahead for the English national side unfortunately though.

Hainan Hibs
28-06-2010, 10:34 PM

:faf::faf::faf::faf:

hibsbollah
28-06-2010, 10:35 PM
I saw the game and heard that particular piece of commentary and - could just be me - but I didn't take it that way. The way I took it was that he was comparing how well he was playing currently with how [poorly IMHO] he was playing when in the EPL with Man U and Chelsea. I genuinely didn't take it that he was unsure about whether it was actually the same person...

That's 100% not to say that MM doesn't come across as a complete breast in every way though!

You might be right I suppose...although a few others spotted it and came to the same conclusion as me...
http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Tom-English-39The-level-of.6364084.jp

Toaods
28-06-2010, 10:45 PM
what about tonight's nonsense...creaming off at an English linesman 'at the top of his game in the height of his profession' as the replay showed he got a straightforward offside call right.

then.... Howard Webb is performing like a World Cup Final referee (only for Jim Beglin to say "yeah, I said the same about Graham Poll" )

bingo70
28-06-2010, 10:48 PM
what about tonight's nonsense...creaming off at an English linesman 'at the top of his game in the height of his profession' as the replay showed he got a straightforward offside call right.

then.... Howard Webb is performing like a World Cup Final referee (only for Jim Beglin to say "yeah, I said the same about Graham Poll" )

Or the Brazilian first goal that was a very 'British' goal, it was a corner into the box that was headed in FFS, whats British about that :confused:

Hibs On Tour
28-06-2010, 10:51 PM
You might be right I suppose...although a few others spotted it and came to the same conclusion as me...
http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Tom-English-39The-level-of.6364084.jp

To be fair, there's more chance of him having got it wrong with his track record! :greengrin

Woody1985
28-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Or the Brazilian first goal that was a very 'British' goal, it was a corner into the box that was headed in FFS, whats British about that :confused:

I thought I was the only person that heard that. My immediate thought was WTF, do not other countries take corners and score headers from them. My second thought was 'Yes, keep clinging on to whatever you can. Go on, you deserve it after your little pumping'. :greengrin

Toaods
29-06-2010, 06:39 AM
I remeber a goal in a cup final v Kilmarnock and a big centre half scored a scorching header.

Mind you...he was English......maybe they are right....:greengrin

Borders Hibby
29-06-2010, 07:05 AM
Agree 100% :agree:

For me, its precisely the same kind of behaviour in reverse that those spouting it espouse as their reasons for spouting it! For me, its just the same and just as annoying and petty - trying to dress it up as part of standard rivalry is just nonsense. Credit where its due - they got there again, we didn't again. Green-eyed monster at the base of most of it IMO. In the same way those ********s across the road go on about our new stand/stadium not being full instead of going on about how their chiefs huvnae built their stand yet...

FWIW there can be absolutely no debate that Germany were the better side by a long country mile yesterday [and indeed all through the entire tournament]. With the shocking decision for the goal-that-wasn't and the fact that this could well have turned the game on its head seeing how England were flying at the time and it was just before half-time, genuinely think if the goal had been given it would have been a 50-50 call as to how the second half would have panned out, though justice in the end was done as the best team by far went through.

Other than Lampard and James I can't think of any players on their side who even got close to pass marks - some like Terry, Johnson, Barry and Upson [despite his goal] were simply abysmal, while others like Gerrard and Rooney were non-existant when you needed your big players to turn up and be counted. As to what Capello thought he was doing, stubborness only extends you so much excuses - you need three goals, you do not pull off a striker to replace with Heskey... you could have replaced with practically any player and provided more goal threat! I've been somewhat surprised with Capello - he's looked tactically naieve and out of his depth somewhat, indeed possibly also with the man-management side of things, although you could likewise say the English were doing the prima-dona bit...

Given how England - despite being pish almost all over the park - ran Germany fairly ragged for those 10 minutes and should have went in level with a pretty even chance to win things thereafter, I can't see Germany beating Argentina in the 1/4's. Argentina have played as a pretty solid unit thus far and although RB is a problem for them, can see them disposing of Germany [albeit less easily than they would have England]. Have heard others say this German team was aimed more at the next WC and if so I would reckon they will be major candidates for the next Euros in 2 years time and major candidates for the next WC.

Can see a few bleak years ahead for the English national side unfortunately though.

I admit they have better players, I admit we should perhaps support them, but I cannot stomach the media pollution of all the other games and sports and their unrealistic expectations. They are out and it still continues, wait for the what ifs, but last nights british goal and continual discussion of the english referee made me want to shout at the telly!!:agree:

Steve-O
29-06-2010, 08:17 AM
But at that stage England were only 1-2 and had finished the 1st half on top. So he was making a reasonable point. Note his use of the word 'could'.

With 45 minutes still to play I am not sure they really COULD have gone out based on that decision?

If the decision had taken place with 10 seconds left in the game it might've been a reasonable point.

Hibs On Tour
29-06-2010, 08:54 AM
I admit they have better players, I admit we should perhaps support them, but I cannot stomach the media pollution of all the other games and sports and their unrealistic expectations. They are out and it still continues, wait for the what ifs, but last nights british goal and continual discussion of the english referee made me want to shout at the telly!!:agree:

Granted, both of the above were ridiculous in the extreme! :greengrin

bingo70
29-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Granted, both of the above were ridiculous in the extreme! :greengrin

Didn't want to start another thread about the media so thought i'd tag it onto this thread but i see SSN are reporting that one of the English journalist in SA have been arrested, it was the daily mirror (i think) that was behind the plan to get the fan into the changing room to try and undermine the security of the tournament, they've really not covered themselves in glory during this tournament have they :wink:

Holmesdale Hibs
29-06-2010, 11:05 AM
piss off Lawrenson.....:bye:

Before making my point I would like to agree with the majority of posters on this thread that Lawrenson is a tool and a poor commentator. Although he’s less bad as a pundit on MOTD.

Anyway, I have to agree with him on this. The technology is available and to get such major decisions wrong is not good enough.

FIFA are lucky that the incident happened in the first half and that England went on to get pumped. Same with the Argentina goal that was offside vs Mexico. If either incident had have happened toward the end of the game and effectively decided the outcome it would have been a lot more embarrassing.

I can’t think of any other sport (although no doubt someone on here will) where such a big decision would be wrong.

Woody1985
29-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Didn't want to start another thread about the media so thought i'd tag it onto this thread but i see SSN are reporting that one of the English journalist in SA have been arrested, it was the daily mirror (i think) that was behind the plan to get the fan into the changing room to try and undermine the security of the tournament, they've really not covered themselves in glory during this tournament have they :wink:

There are good intentions in there somewhere to highlight lax security. However, all sympathy is lost when you realise that they were likely to be doing it to write a piece and line their own pockets. Serves them right. Will it be classed as an act of terrorism? Now that would be funny!

I read Arthur Numans piece on the security and he said that there's not been any consistency, some stadiums were taking up to an hour to be searched and get through and having to show tickets up to 10 times and others you could walk right in. Perhaps there were specific threats that were never made public hence the inconsistencies.

As far as I'm aware there have been none of the 'horror' stories that were anticipated by many so far.

Hibs On Tour
29-06-2010, 05:15 PM
There are good intentions in there somewhere to highlight lax security. However, all sympathy is lost when you realise that they were likely to be doing it to write a piece and line their own pockets. Serves them right. Will it be classed as an act of terrorism? Now that would be funny!

I read Arthur Numans piece on the security and he said that there's not been any consistency, some stadiums were taking up to an hour to be searched and get through and having to show tickets up to 10 times and others you could walk right in. Perhaps there were specific threats that were never made public hence the inconsistencies.

As far as I'm aware there have been none of the 'horror' stories that were anticipated by many so far.

And I guarantee you that if horrific things had happened the authorities in SA and most likely Fifa would be paying people off all over the place in a bid to keep it under wraps as it wouldn't suit their agenda... bit like the 'incidents' that occured in the big stadium down New Orleans way after Hurricane Katrina went unreported by the mainstream media.

mjhibby
29-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Before making my point I would like to agree with the majority of posters on this thread that Lawrenson is a tool and a poor commentator. Although he’s less bad as a pundit on MOTD.

Anyway, I have to agree with him on this. The technology is available and to get such major decisions wrong is not good enough.

FIFA are lucky that the incident happened in the first half and that England went on to get pumped. Same with the Argentina goal that was offside vs Mexico. If either incident had have happened toward the end of the game and effectively decided the outcome it would have been a lot more embarrassing.

I can’t think of any other sport (although no doubt someone on here will) where such a big decision would be wrong.

I must admit lawrenson is very good beside hansen on motd and usually gets things spot on but like a lot of the commentators their sense of balane and objectivity go out the window when it comes to engerland and the world cup.Had that decision gone against scotland in a world cup play off we would all have been going mental but as everybody has pointed out the fact it didnt really make a difference as with tevezs goal got fifa out of jail.I think the fact that these incidents only happen against teams outside the top teams(england aint in that group)means fifa havent bothered with it and i think it will take a major decision to go against say brazil or argentina for them to change it.The henry situation was a disgrace and funny how no england fan was bothered then btw.
Having said all this sundays game was the most enjoyable 90 mins i think ive seen since a certain cup final in 2007 andd all the more enjoyable because of lampards so called goal.they were outplayed,outthought and not surprisingly outran by the germans who were obviously well prepared and well up for the game.England are not a top 10 side and so it shouldnt be a surprise they got knocked out by germany who are.It is wonderful how we can enjoy the radio,tv and papers without wall to wall coverage of engerland and what they had for breakfast.The only downside is the media will now heap pressure on that good hibby andy murray which he could do without.Id just wish engerland had sneaked through and murray could have got through minus the huge press interest he has to put up with.Mind you im hoping he will do it but think it maybe next year he will win it.Rant over.

lapsedhibee
29-06-2010, 06:02 PM
It is wonderful how we can enjoy the radio,tv and papers without wall to wall coverage of engerland and what they had for breakfast.

Though we'll soon all know a good bit more about Howard Webb than we really wanted to.