PDA

View Full Version : England World Cup Omens

Hibbyradge
27-06-2010, 09:47 AM
When 2010 is fully pronounced, it has the same number of syllables as Nineteen Sixty-Six!

Any other omens?

Phil D. Rolls
27-06-2010, 09:51 AM
When 2010 is fully pronounced, it has the same number of syllables as Nineteen Sixty-Six!

Any other omens?

The game in 1966 was played with a round ball.

weecounty hibby
27-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Apart from that one time, they have been papped oot by the Germans every time they have played them in a major tournament.

That is the kind of omen I want to see and lets hope the sequence continues.

Vorsprung durch technik, Deutchland uber alles etc etc

Hibbyradge
27-06-2010, 10:07 AM
The game in 1966 was played with a round ball.

Elizabeth II was queen in 1966. She is queen again this year.

Phil D. Rolls
27-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Elizabeth II was queen in 1966. She is queen again this year.

In a further uncanny twist, I can reveal she is still married to the same man, and still has four children. If that doesn't bring hope to the three lions, what can?

Hibbyradge
27-06-2010, 10:29 AM
In 1966, the UK was governed by a popular Government which had won 48% of the popular vote, held 57% of the seast and was in a strong position to pursue it's programme of helping those in society who were most needy.

Erm, which thread is this?

McKenzie
27-06-2010, 11:02 AM
They beat Germany, then Argentina, then maybe Portugal ? :bye:

Dr What If?
27-06-2010, 11:08 AM
In 1966 Spain were the reigning European champions

North Korea played in there only other World Cup in 1966

England drew their opening game in 1966

The omens are there, England are going to win the world cup.

On a more sobering note, by making the quarter finals, the Ghana team have proven themselves to be more successful than any Scotland team in the 60 years we have competed for this competition. We really have to buck up, maybe if we worried less about England and looked at ourselves.

Phil D. Rolls
27-06-2010, 11:24 AM

On a more sobering note, by making the quarter finals, the Ghana team have proven themselves to be more successful than any Scotland team in the 60 years we have competed for this competition. We really have to buck up, maybe if we worried less about England and looked at ourselves.

Any team that makes it past the opening round is more successful than Scotland.

bingo70
27-06-2010, 11:29 AM

we've got about 18 million people less than Ghana so why should we expect to have a better record than them?

Also don't understand why wanting England to get beat should have any impact on how well we do, are you suggesting if we want england to win we would have beat Norway and Holland in the qualifiers?

HibbyAndy
27-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Capello hasnt got the Baws to drop Wayne Shrek Rooney, He's a had a stinker of a tournament so far.

Just thot id mention that insted of all the cliches of Engerland winning the World cup again.

If i here one more comment from the commentaters or the papers telling all and sundry that England can/will win the WC ill boot my tv sqaure in the puss clean out the windae.

Sooner these cretins are out the better.

Phil D. Rolls
27-06-2010, 11:44 AM
we've got about 18 million people less than Ghana so why should we expect to have a better record than them?

Also don't understand why wanting England to get beat should have any impact on how well we do, are you suggesting if we want england to win we would have beat Norway and Holland in the qualifiers?

Eh, because we've been playing the game for about a hundred and fifty years longer than them. Because we have been in more world cups than them etc.

If it was down to population then the USA and China would be finalists every year. Northern Ireland has a better record than us, and they have a quarter of our population.

Maybe if we had a hard look at ourselves instead of crowing about england, we'd actually put things right. Maybe that's too much like hard work for some.

The fact is we have always under achieved, and our record is an embarrassment.

Capello hasnt got the Baws to drop Wayne Shrek Rooney, He's a had a stinker of a tournament so far.

Just thot id mention that insted of all the cliches of Engerland winning the World cup again.

If i here one more comment from the commentaters or the papers telling all and sundry that England can/will win the WC ill boot my tv sqaure in the puss clean out the windae.

Sooner these cretins are out the better.

I don't think he has enough in reserve to contemplate dropping R Wayne. That is the reason they won't win, they are too reliant on a small group of players. Injuries and yellow cards will put paid to their chances.

Diclonius
27-06-2010, 11:50 AM

Any other omens?

No it doesn't. It's pronounced "twenty-ten".

"Two thousand and ten" is for people who still haven't figured out that the last decade is over. Were they saying "One thousand, nine hundred and sixty six" back then? :wink:

marinello59
27-06-2010, 11:54 AM
?

The population argument is a total non-starter. We have been playing the game far longer and should be doing better than we do. The fact is we have stood still for years while the game developed elsewhere.
New Zealand had a decent World Cup and went out unbeaten. The fact they qualified at all makes them better than us. Population 4.6million. Rugby is the sport of choice for the vast majority so the %age actually playing football will be much smaller than in Scotland

Jim44
27-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Add together the individual digits of 1966.................22. Multiply that by 100 ( the number of years it will take England to win another World Cup)..............2200. Take away 190 (the number of years it will take us to win the World Cup)..................... 2010. Spooky, eh? :greengrin

bingo70
27-06-2010, 12:06 PM
The population argument is a total non-starter. We have been playing the game far longer and should be doing better than we do. The fact is we have stood still for years while the game developed elsewhere.
New Zealand had a decent World Cup and went out unbeaten. The fact they qualified at all makes them better than us. Population 4.6million. Rugby is the sport of choice for the vast majority so the %age actually playing football will be much smaller than in Scotland

They had to beat teams like Tonga and western samoa to qualify though, if they were in european qualifying groups no way would they have got through.

I actually agree with you about the population thing though, i normally argue with people who use that as justification as being *****, the point i was trying to make though is that being worse than Ghana shouldn't be any source of embarrasment, they're a decent side with much more resources than us, we need to be looking at similar sized countries and ask why they're continually performing better than us, not comparing ourselves to the likes of England.

bingo70
27-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Eh, because we've been playing the game for about a hundred and fifty years longer than them. Because we have been in more world cups than them etc.

If it was down to population then the USA and China would be finalists every year. Northern Ireland has a better record than us, and they have a quarter of our population.

Maybe if we had a hard look at ourselves instead of crowing about england, we'd actually put things right. Maybe that's too much like hard work for some.

The fact is we have always under achieved, and our record is an embarrassment.

I don't think he has enough in reserve to contemplate dropping R Wayne. That is the reason they won't win, they are too reliant on a small group of players. Injuries and yellow cards will put paid to their chances.

Why is it relevant that Scotland were playing football 150 years before them? History counts for **** all IMO.

I completely agree that Scotlands record in recent years is an absolute disgrace and people should be hung for it, i don't see why having a rivalry with England would have any influence on how pish we are though, do you think the people with influence at the SFA sit at meetings slagging the English instead of trying to improve our game?

Phil D. Rolls
27-06-2010, 12:18 PM
They had to beat teams like Tonga and western samoa to qualify though, if they were in european qualifying groups no way would they have got through.

I actually agree with you about the population thing though, i normally argue with people who use that as justification as being *****, the point i was trying to make though is that being worse than Ghana shouldn't be any source of embarrasment, they're a decent side with much more resources than us, we need to be looking at similar sized countries and ask why they're continually performing better than us, not comparing ourselves to the likes of England.

Exactly. Do Ghana have better resources than us though?

My feeling is that the game is so firmly entrenched in our culture here that change is going to be near enough impossible. Nearly every other country in the world has developed their systems later on and founded them on more modern methods.

If some of the posts on Hibs.net throughout the season are anything to go by, there are far too many dinosaurs involved with the game, who still think it is about natural ability aligned to physical fitness. Concepts like sport psychology, and tactics are beyond them.

I know this will divide opinion, but the failure to understand something like Colin Nish's role in the Hibs team sums up the knee jerk ignorance of a lot of Scottish fans.

Another thing about our game is that we will not listen to outsiders. Rinus Michaels was drafted in to help us develop our game 20 odd years ago. I'd be surprised if a lot of fans know who Rinus MIchaels was, let alone are aware that he was here.

That speaks volumes to me about a country living in the past. Jeez it was only last week that the media were describing Rangers as one of the biggest clubs in the world. Mind you, parochialism is founded on people believing the world ends at the boundaries of their parish.

Maybe, especially because our club game has nowhere to go, it is time to adopt the German model, and focus on the national team.

Hibbyradge
27-06-2010, 01:08 PM

It's not about wanting England to win. It's what we want for ourselves.

The height of our ambition is to beat England. Or, because we can't do that, or aren't able to carve out an opportunity to do so, our ambition is for everyone else to beat England.

That's actually pathetic for a country which is supposed to take it's football extremely seriously.

Ghana's ambition is much higher than that.

And, much to the chagrin of the vast majority in Scotland, so is England's.

Hibbyradge
27-06-2010, 01:09 PM
No it doesn't. It's pronounced "twenty-ten".

"Two thousand and ten" is for people who still haven't figured out that the last decade is over. Were they saying "One thousand, nine hundred and sixty six" back then? :wink:

Irony isn't your strong point, is it? :greengrin

Hibbyradge
27-06-2010, 01:12 PM
having a rivalry

It's not a rivalry though, is it?

As much as we'd like to be, we're not England's rivals.

Borders Hibby
27-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Add together the individual digits of 1966.................22. Multiply that by 100 ( the number of years it will take England to win another World Cup)..............2200. Take away 190 (the number of years it will take us to win the World Cup)..................... 2010. Spooky, eh? :greengrin

Are England playing in red?

Posh Swanny
27-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Apart from that one time, they have been papped oot by the Germans every time they have played them in a major tournament.

I'll take that depressing stat re. the knockout stages of a major tournament and raise it with...

The last time we played them in a major tournament we beat them.

The last time we played them in a meaningful game we pumped them.

The last time we played them in a friendly, we beat them.

And finally, we haven't lost a penalty shoot-out for four years!!!

:greengrin:wink::worried:

Gus
27-06-2010, 01:40 PM
F it, anyone who qualifies for a major tournament are more successfull than Scotland, coz they are sh*te......fact

England have won, all be it many moons ago & I sadly dont think we will win it this year.

But I will enjoy it while we are there

Leaving the scots to moan about, the media.......:faf::bye:

Borders Hibby
27-06-2010, 01:45 PM
F it, anyone who qualifies for a major tournament are more successfull than Scotland, coz they are sh*te......fact

England have won, all be it many moons ago & I sadly dont think we will win it this year.

Ok lets stop moaning about the media, we just dont like you!:wink:

Borders Hibby
27-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Ok lets stop moaning about the media, we just dont like you!:wink:

" this is match 51 or 5-1 if you prefer" tossers.:agree:

Borders Hibby
27-06-2010, 02:52 PM

Enjoying it so far?

Steve-O
27-06-2010, 03:14 PM

Wouldn't be so sure of that these days. There are A LOT of people playing football at various levels here, many more than I ever imagined when I arrived.

Hibbyradge
27-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Omens, eh?

Cuh!

weecounty hibby
27-06-2010, 04:26 PM
I'll take that depressing stat re. the knockout stages of a major tournament and raise it with...

The last time we played them in a major tournament we beat them.

The last time we played them in a meaningful game we pumped them.

The last time we played them in a friendly, we beat them.

And finally, we haven't lost a penalty shoot-out for four years!!!

:greengrin:wink::worried:

OOPS!!!!:bye:

dangermouse
28-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Why is it relevant that Scotland were playing football 150 years before them? History counts for **** all IMO.

I completely agree that Scotlands record in recent years is an absolute disgrace and people should be hung for it, i don't see why having a rivalry with England would have any influence on how pish we are though, do you think the people with influence at the SFA sit at meetings slagging the English instead of trying to improve our game?

Going by the state of our game the answer to that probably has to be yes!