PDA

View Full Version : 1966 and England (Merged threads)

Borders Hibby
26-06-2010, 01:43 PM
6 minute into the build up for the first last 16 game and ITV have already mentioned 1966. Havent even given the teams for todays game! Nobs! Should have run a sweep into how many times it was mentioned in coverage for other nations games. Its no wonder we cannae stand them!

Mon the Germans!:agree:

marinello59
26-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Who has the biggest 1966 obsession?
The English commentators for mentioning it? (As every Scot knows, if we had won the World Cup it would be celebrated for a day or two and never mentioned again.)
Or us Scots for waiting for them to mention it, noting the time it took and rushing to express our outrage on the internet?:greengrin
Looks like we are as bad as each other to me. :agree:

Dashing Bob S
26-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Somebody should do a compliation of 1966 references for this World Cup. I think they should be made to fast forward to 86 and talk about what happened then, purely in the interests of balance.

Leicester Fan
26-06-2010, 01:53 PM
I don't think we remind you Scots about it enough.:na na:

marinello59
26-06-2010, 01:59 PM
I don't think we remind you Scots about it enough.:na na:

We prefer to remember 1967.:greengrin

judas
26-06-2010, 02:04 PM
The English commentators for mentioning it? (As every Scot knows, if we had won the World Cup it would be celebrated for a day or two and never mentioned again.)
Or us Scots for waiting for them to mention it, noting the time it took and rushing to express our outrage on the internet?:greengrin

He he. How true is that.:agree:

The guy is just another poster obsessing about 1966.

Phil D. Rolls
26-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Somebody should do a compliation of 1966 references for this World Cup. I think they should be made to fast forward to 86 and talk about what happened then, purely in the interests of balance.

Dens Park, what interest could they possibly have in the events of that fateful day?

Borders Hibby
26-06-2010, 02:17 PM

I take your point but please dont compare me to them!:grr:

Borders Hibby
26-06-2010, 02:21 PM
He he. How true is that.:agree:

The guy is just another poster obsessing about 1966.

Spoils the coverage, would rather here about todays game. There is an overdose of England in each programme, David Platts goal, a non report about nothing happening at the training ground, a possible line up for tomorrow instead of an in depth look at the 2 teams playing today.

I think the media is the main reason for people up here being ABE. Not the team or even the supporters.

Phil D. Rolls
26-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Spoils the coverage, would rather here about todays game. There is an overdose of England in each programme, David Platts goal, a non report about nothing happening at the training ground, a possible line up for tomorrow instead of an in depth look at the 2 teams playing today.

I think the media is the main reason for people up here being ABE. Not the team or even the supporters.

I think you're right. Every time they show these montages of England in the World Cup, it reminds me that Scotland have never played against the likes of Beckenbauer, Pele or Maradona. We're just jealous, that's all there is to it.

Dan Sarf
26-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Apparently, England beat Germany years ago, I forget the year they said, and heroically won the world cup! Since then there have been some really epic battles involving missed penalties, tears, Bobby Charlton, Gazza, the Queen, etc. I can't believe it! Why haven't they shown this footage before?

WindyMiller
26-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Apparently, England beat Germany years ago, I forget the year they said, and heroically won the world cup! Since then there have been some really epic battles involving missed penalties, tears, Bobby Charlton, Gazza, the Queen, etc. I can't believe it! Why haven't they shown this footage before?

I've never heard anyone mention that before!

Borders Hibby
26-06-2010, 04:41 PM

The 2 German players they had commenting wanted to talk about football where as the English want to talk about history and penalties and 1966. If we were playing Hearts tomorrow I would hope that we would not think that the outcome depended on the fact that we beat them 7 0 in 1973. They are clutching at history and trends, lets see more about the teams playing now!

Wonder if they will show the same montage tonight before the USA game.

ronaldo7
26-06-2010, 05:13 PM
The 2 German players they had commenting wanted to talk about football where as the English want to talk about history and penalties and 1966. If we were playing Hearts tomorrow I would hope that we would not think that the outcome depended on the fact that we beat them 7 0 in 1973. They are clutching at history and trends, lets see more about the teams playing now!

The EBC have been a pain in the neck from day one mate. When paying for my TV licence I used to think the BBC were impartial and the FOOTBALL TOURNY would be covered exactly that way...IMPARTIALLY.

They have the English disease now.

The sooner they are out the better, and we Football supporters can sit in comfort and watch the real Football players of the world strutt their stuff.

Borders Hibby
26-06-2010, 05:19 PM
The EBC have been a pain in the neck from day one mate. When paying for my TV licence I used to think the BBC were impartial and the FOOTBALL TOURNY would be covered exactly that way...IMPARTIALLLY.

The sooner they are out the better, and we Football supporters can sit in comfort and watch the real Football players of the world strutt their stuff.

Spot on!:agree:

Hibby Bairn
26-06-2010, 05:32 PM
They would be better concentrating on why their so called superstars mucked it up and left them out of a group of Uruguay, South Korea, Ghana and England with one making the semi finals.

In stead they are in a group of 4 with Germany, Argentina and Chile!!!

Looks like come 2014 they'll still be reminiscing about 1966.

heretoday
26-06-2010, 05:38 PM
I'm not hearing that much talk about 1966. Anyway, they won the World Cup then for goodness sake so they are entitled to hark back to it.

I hear far more talk on the radio and TV about missed penalties and disasters. The English media prefer it when the team does badly because it makes for a better story.

The whole lot should be hauled off to the Tower.

Gus
26-06-2010, 05:46 PM
this thread of the same old same old is so boring

Yes the English MEDIA go OT about 1966, but why not, we won it........the scots would be exactly the same FACT

I agree as licence payers though the BBC should be somewhat impartial, but as the scots are in the minority compared to say english licence payers I suggest they just get over.

I really wish Scotland were in the world cup so we could see archie gemmils goal....AGAIN and AGAIN but they aint so hey ho

I can't wait for 2moro & yes the inevitable of getting knocked out....its part of the joy, similar to the way hearts laugh at us hibees and the scottish cup

anyway

Glory Glory, to Hibs and England

marinello59
26-06-2010, 06:10 PM

You decided to sit and watch it all then. Why? You DO have a choice:greengrin

Borders Hibby
26-06-2010, 06:20 PM
You decided to sit and watch it all then. Why? You DO have a choice:greengrin

I know I wanted to see the fitba though. Better tonight I must admit with good bits on both teams and as yet no footage of 1966!:agree:

Borders Hibby
26-06-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm not hearing that much talk about 1966. Anyway, they won the World Cup then for goodness sake so they are entitled to hark back to it.

I hear far more talk on the radio and TV about missed penalties and disasters. The English media prefer it when the team does badly because it makes for a better story.

The whole lot should be hauled off to the Tower.

You must have missed the montage this afternoon then!:agree:

marinello59
26-06-2010, 06:22 PM
I know I wanted to see the fitba though. Better tonight I must admit with good bits on both teams and as yet no footage of 1966!:agree:

Will you stop banging on about 1966. :greengrin

Borders Hibby
26-06-2010, 06:24 PM

Fair comment!:wink:

matty_f
26-06-2010, 06:39 PM
:top marks

The EBC have been a pain in the neck from day one mate. When paying for my TV licence I used to think the BBC were impartial and the FOOTBALL TOURNY would be covered exactly that way...IMPARTIALLY.

I think you are making a huge assumption that everyone in Scotland feels the same, and have the same anti-English feelings that would make them want a separate broadcast.

When Scotland are on the tv, and we get a dedicated programme, I'm rather thankful that the presenters aren't neutral, and that they want Scotland to win. The huge majority of viewers of ITV and BBC coverage of England games (in Britain) will be English. It would be a significant waste of licence fee to create a separate presentation for Scottish, Irish, and Welsh viewers.

As for the media being to blame - that's pish. They are constantly on the look out for holes in the armour of the England side. They were creaming themselves when it looked for a minute that there were huge behind the scenes issues in the England camp, and has been mentioned already on the thread, they dwell as much, if not more, on their post '66 failures as they do on when the actually did the not-insignificant thing of winning the bloody World Cup.

ronaldo7
26-06-2010, 07:13 PM
this thread of the same old same old is so boring

Yes the English MEDIA go OT about 1966, but why not, we won it........the scots would be exactly the same FACT

I agree as licence payers though the BBC should be somewhat impartial, but as the scots are in the minority compared to say english licence payers I suggest they just get over.

I really wish Scotland were in the world cup so we could see archie gemmils goal....AGAIN and AGAIN but they aint so hey ho

I can't wait for 2moro & yes the inevitable of getting knocked out....its part of the joy, similar to the way hearts laugh at us hibees and the scottish cup

anyway

Glory Glory, to Hibs and England

Hey Gus,

Can you get me a rebate on my Licence fee as I'm just a minority Scot.:boo hoo:

ronaldo7
26-06-2010, 07:19 PM
:top marks

I think you are making a huge assumption that everyone in Scotland feels the same, and have the same anti-English feelings that would make them want a separate broadcast.

Can you point out in my post where I've asked for a separate broadcast:confused:

When Scotland are on the tv, and we get a dedicated programme, I'm rather thankful that the presenters aren't neutral, and that they want Scotland to win. The huge majority of viewers of ITV and BBC coverage of England games (in Britain) will be English. It would be a significant waste of licence fee to create a separate presentation for Scottish, Irish, and Welsh viewers.

As for the media being to blame - that's pish.

Again please:confused:

They are constantly on the look out for holes in the armour of the England side. They were creaming themselves when it looked for a minute that there were huge behind the scenes issues in the England camp, and has been mentioned already on the thread, they dwell as much, if not more, on their post '66 failures as they do on when the actually did the not-insignificant thing of winning the bloody World Cup.

Borders Hibby
26-06-2010, 07:53 PM

I just want more informed information on the teams playing and good football discussion. Just seems lazy to keep harping back to just Engerland and their history. This sums it up pretty weel for me.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Tom-English-39The-level-of.6364084.jp

Borders Hibby
26-06-2010, 07:56 PM

You can even put a bet on it!:greengrin

http://www.online-betting.me.uk/blog/paddy-powers-world-cup-commentary-bets.html

ronaldo7
26-06-2010, 07:59 PM
I just want more informed information on the teams playing and good football discussion. Just seems lazy to keep harping back to just Engerland and their history. This sums it up pretty weel for me.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Tom-English-39The-level-of.6364084.jp

:agree:

ronaldo7
26-06-2010, 08:02 PM
You can even put a bet on it!:greengrin

http://www.online-betting.me.uk/blog/paddy-powers-world-cup-commentary-bets.html

Achh its ok, he's only a paddy so is in the minority:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
26-06-2010, 09:23 PM
It's Jimmy Greaves I've always felt sorry for. There's the pictures of the rest of the team, scarlet jeseys on the nations heros, and he has to follow them round in a John Collier suit (easy payment terms).

No wonder he took to drink.

heretoday
26-06-2010, 09:32 PM
You must have missed the montage this afternoon then!:agree:

Yeah I went and got some fresh air.

If we had won the cup in 1978 with Ally's Army we'd still be celebrating!

AFKA5814_Hibs
26-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Christ I'm glad I don't live in Rio, otherwise all they'd be going on about is 1958 and eh, 1962, and eh 1970 and eh, 1994 and eh, 2002. That's all they'd be talking about. :rolleyes:

woody47
26-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Couldn't believe it when watching Nadal at tennis today and after winning the first game the %@~@ing commentator actually said "well one nil against the german, how good would that be" or words to that effect. This is a ferking game of tennis between a Spaniard and a German - not a game of football between engerland and Germany. :grr:

matty_f
26-06-2010, 11:52 PM

Though you never said you wanted a separate broadcast, why should English viewers be denied a partisan production when the rest of the country get one when their nation plays?

As for the media is to blame quote, I should have quoted border hibby's post stating that, rather than adding it on to my post quoting you, sorry.

Diclonius
27-06-2010, 12:30 AM
as the scots are in the minority compared to say english licence payers I suggest they just get over.

England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales all hold constitutient country status within the United Kingdom. As a result they should all be given equal respect in regards to coverage of the World Cup. Population is irrelevant.

Phil D. Rolls
27-06-2010, 05:59 AM
Couldn't believe it when watching Nadal at tennis today and after winning the first game the %@~@ing commentator actually said "well one nil against the german, how good would that be" or words to that effect. This is a ferking game of tennis between a Spaniard and a German - not a game of football between engerland and Germany. :grr:

Something that has always bugged me is the way that games are never against France, Holland or Spain, they are versus "the French, the Dutch, the Spanish". It just seems disrespectful to me. But quite a lot of things do at the moment.

lapsedhibee
27-06-2010, 06:05 AM
It's Jimmy Greaves I've always felt sorry for. There's the pictures of the rest of the team, scarlet jeseys on the nations heros, and he has to follow them round in a John Collier suit (easy payment terms).

:grr: That coulda been Joe Baker in that suit.

col02
27-06-2010, 06:20 AM
I think England are perfectly entitled to go on and on about 1966 as their glory days were perhaps consigned to that World Cup win and since then all they have had is underachievement. As one of the commentators rightly said imho when doing the Spain vs Chile game on Friday England are now a quarter final side at major championships. While it may upset some people listening to them go on and on it is about time we got used to it as the same thing goes on almost daily on this board when people go on about a player from the recent past like he was some sort of superstar and pine for their return.

As a Hibs fan I still regard the CIS cup final with high regard and this makes me proud to be a Hibs fan remembering days like that, the same applies to England and their supporters I feel.

Phil D. Rolls
27-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Christ I'm glad I don't live in Rio, otherwise all they'd be going on about is 1958 and eh, 1962, and eh 1970 and eh, 1994 and eh, 2002. That's all they'd be talking about. :rolleyes:

without a moments thought for Scottish viewers.

:grr: That coulda been Joe Baker in that suit.

Strangely, something that is rarely mentioned by the Scottish media. However we are constantly shown Jim Baxter sitting on ball at Wembley in 1967. I wonder why they go on about how great a player he was?

Oh, I remember, the Scottish media is dominated by people from Crossgates.:agree:

BEEJ
27-06-2010, 12:01 PM

That's true to an extent. But bear in mind that when the English in the past have watched Scotland at the World Cup finals, they have done so while listening to their own broadcast with a supportive but broadly neutral English commentator at the microphone.

IMHO this is why the English have found it easier to be supportive of the Celtic nations in these circumstances. They haven't had to listen to the rabid, biased slaverings of a home supporter dressed up as a commentator for the day. :greengrin

The Scots, Welsh and Irish don't get that privilege when we are watching the English. Everything is commented on through the eyes of individuals who are for that 90 minutes or more, highly excitable and emotional fans. I defy anyone from another country to find such nationalistic fervour to be easy to listen to.

(By the way, I think England will win today (it's their turn in fixtures against Germany); but they won't beat Argentina.) :wink:

ronaldo7
27-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Though you never said you wanted a separate broadcast, why should English viewers be denied a partisan production when the rest of the country get one when their nation plays?

As for the media is to blame quote, I should have quoted border hibby's post stating that, rather than adding it on to my post quoting you, sorry.

Apology accepted:wink:

I'll just turn the sound down:greengrin

NOLA
27-06-2010, 12:36 PM
England will win today, then just wait for the media coverage before the Argentina game, will be brilliant:rolleyes:

Borders Hibby
27-06-2010, 01:11 PM

So in no way do you think that the english media coverage through the britsh broadcasting company feed into the ABE feelings.

Radio 5 reported that Schumachers Mercedes had stalled, "wouldnt that be good if repeated this afternoon" :grr:

Borders Hibby
27-06-2010, 01:18 PM

I dont want a separate broadcast either, just want to know about the teams that are playing when its not England. Dont mind thembeing patriotic when they are playing.

Borders Hibby
27-06-2010, 02:23 PM
I dont want a separate broadcast either, just want to know about the teams that are playing when its not England. Dont mind thembeing patriotic when they are playing.

1 mention of 1966 so far, not bad!

Sylar
27-06-2010, 02:57 PM
1 mention of 1966 so far, not bad!

The commentators seem hesitant to mention it - "you know when..." - they almost treat it as a joke, which is nice actually, as it employs a degree of humour/acknowledgement.

I'm just glad Motson isn't doing the commentary - has he retired? If so, I missed a chance for a party - he's a pollution!

Borders Hibby
27-06-2010, 03:01 PM
The commentators seem hesitant to mention it - "you know when..." - they almost treat it as a joke, which is nice actually, as it employs a degree of humour/acknowledgement.

I'm just glad Motson isn't doing the commentary - has he retired? If so, I missed a chance for a party - he's a pollution!

Motty would have started by saying" england in red, germany in white, shades of 66!!!!":agree:

matty_f
27-06-2010, 06:59 PM
So in no way do you think that the english media coverage through the britsh broadcasting company feed into the ABE feelings.

Radio 5 reported that Schumachers Mercedes had stalled, "wouldnt that be good if repeated this afternoon" :grr:

I don't think so. I think people use the media as an excuse to continue an anti-English feeling.

Spike Mandela
27-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Isn't it interesting that when the ball bounces down off the bar in an England V Germany game and the wrong decision is made that the 1966 comparisons are so strong but they don't bloody mention it!!!!

Of course the decision went their way that time.

Borders Hibby
27-06-2010, 07:13 PM
I don't think so. I think people use the media as an excuse to continue an anti-English feeling.

Dont need an excuse, just dont want it polluting every other sports commentary.

Lmc2105
27-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Sooooo who has a few cracking england jokes?

i have a few belters already :faf::thumbsup:

Lofarl
27-06-2010, 08:13 PM
omg i want ur avatar pic:thumbsup::thumbsup:

LancashireHibby
27-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Isn't it interesting that when the ball bounces down off the bar in an England V Germany game and the wrong decision is made that the 1966 comparisons are so strong but they don't bloody mention it!!!!

Of course the decision went their way that time.

It was mentioned straight away on Five Live, but I must say that Alan Green must be the most rabid (and annoying) England fan of the lot.