PDA

View Full Version : Growing a football team

HibsMax
26-06-2010, 02:56 AM
I have a few thoughts about this but I'll keep this brief since I am feeling rather lazy.

I don't know when the qualifiers start for the 2014 World Cup (told you I was lazy) but do you not think that 4 years should be long enough to find decent enough talent to equal the likes of other European countries? I know that we don't really have 4 years, the qualifiers will be way before the main event, but don't you think the SFA, or whomever, could really invest some time and money and effort into producing a really good Scottish football team? I'm getting fed up having to cast my mind back to yesteryear. I don't care what we do when we qualify, let's just qualify again! I honestly think this is something worthy of serious investment.

Let's show some pride*.

(* - albeit from the other side of the Atlantic in my case)

H18sry
26-06-2010, 08:35 AM
The Qualifiers for 2012 EURO'S start in September, and Scotland are on the up, Harry Potter should get rid of the old guard, and rely on the new younger up and coming players, we have a decent squad when all fit.

Goalkeepers, Gordon,McGregor and Marshall, at right back we have Hutton,Whitty, and clubfoot, center backs are a bit of a problem tho, where We have both Caldwells, Berra,McManus,Webster and Barr, left back we have Wallace,Fox and Dixon[at a push] but Whitty can also play there, in midfield we have a lot of players who can play right/center, Brown,Dorrans,Fletcher [D],Thomshun,McCormack,Rae and Naismith, left/center we have Faddy,Maloney,Commons,Adam,Robson and Riordan and up front Fletcher[S], Boyd,Miller,O'Connor and Snodgrass.

So we do have a young squad that can be built into a team that will be hard to beat, if the manager play's them together as a team, in a few games to get them playing like they know each other in stead of chopping and changing.

For me the team I would like to see play against Sweden in the August friendly is the team we should start with in the 1st qualifier in September is

Gordon

Hutton
Berra
Webster
Wallace

Brown
Fletcher D
Thomshun
McFadden

Fletcher [S]
Boyd

If we can start with a team like this, and build team spirit we can go on and play together for the next 6 or so years, as most of these players are still in there mid 20's

Discuss :wink:

Dr What If?
26-06-2010, 11:52 AM
The way Commons played last season I just can't see any way he can be left out of the first team, a bit more experience an he will be the next big thing. Unfortunately, that may push McFadden onto your bench but he has shown that as an impact player coming on for 30 mins he can really change a game.

I still think we are weak at the back but Hutton is still the best we have and despite some grave howlers, Caldwell is still the most experienced so I don't think we could afford to leave either out. I would dearly love to see some more defenders unearthed, the rest just aren't international class.

Can't argue with the front two, they will get goals.

Your list is interesting though as it does show the strength in depth we now have. Not all are top class but we would be able to cover the odd injury or suspension without too great a dip in performance overall.

These players do need to be shaped into a team though, something Levein has shown he can do. A bit of spirit, more time playing together, experience and some Brazilian defenders with Scottish grannies and we do have a pretty decent team there.

Roll on 2012.

steviecarnie
26-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Your list is interesting though as it does show the strength in depth we now have. Not all are top class but we would be able to cover the odd injury or suspension without too great a dip in performance overall.

id love to see youngsters being brought into the squad, players like swanston, goodwillie, wotherspoon etc had good seasons and keeping them in the 21s isnt going to get us to 2012, even if they are brought into the squad just to get the feel of international football would be beneficial in the long run, cant see it tho, will be same old, old firm only players with the good youngsters left out in the cold until they move to rangers/celtic or the epl.

H18sry
26-06-2010, 12:42 PM
id love to see youngsters being brought into the squad, players like swanston, goodwillie, wotherspoon etc had good seasons and keeping them in the 21s isnt going to get us to 2012, even if they are brought into the squad just to get the feel of international football would be beneficial in the long run, cant see it tho, will be same old, old firm only players with the good youngsters left out in the cold until they move to rangers/celtic or the epl.

If you go through my initial list you wont find many infirm players left, Boyd is away Brown, Thomshun and Mcmanus may also be away, if transfer rumors are to believed, so that would only leave our no 2 goalie and Miller, Whitty, Maloney,Webster and Clubfoot, and the only starter would be Webster in my 11.

Your other point about Swanny, Spoony and Willie their time will come but it would be folly to throw them right in at the deep end before they have fully learned there trade at club and u-21 level [not Swanny tho who is too old for the 21's]

steviecarnie
26-06-2010, 01:04 PM
If you go through my initial list you wont find many infirm players left, Boyd is away Brown, Thomshun and Mcmanus may also be away, if transfer rumors are to believed, so that would only leave our no 2 goalie and Miller, Whitty, Maloney,Webster and Clubfoot, and the only starter would be Webster in my 11.

Your other point about Swanny, Spoony and Willie their time will come but it would be folly to throw them right in at the deep end before they have fully learned there trade at club and u-21 level [not Swanny tho who is too old for the 21's]

even put them in the squad to soak atmosphere and get that experience of being in the squad can only be beneficial when there time does come to take the leap from bench to getting caps. We have an outragious amount of call off's for friendlies and internationals so there will be spaces.

H18sry
26-06-2010, 01:13 PM
even put them in the squad to soak atmosphere and get that experience of being in the squad can only be beneficial when there time does come to take the leap from bench to getting caps. We have an outragious amount of call off's for friendlies and internationals so there will be spaces.

Harry Potter is already on record as saying he will not play meaningless friendlies just for the sake of it and that was a reason we never had any friendlies at the end of the season, and players did not want to play for Burley hence the number of call off's pre Wales and Japan games, if the players are not guaranteed a start they will turn up for friendlies and I think we have a squad now where there is no stand out player that will walk into the team, due to the lack of an infirm influence in the management set up.

allezsauzee
26-06-2010, 04:10 PM
We dont have enough good centre halfs.....does Hoggy have any Scottish grandaparents? :greengrin

H18sry
26-06-2010, 04:12 PM
We dont have enough good centre halfs.....does Hoggy have any Scottish grandaparents? :greengrin

No thankfully :greengrin

allezsauzee
26-06-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm a wee bit surprised Capello didnt turn to him after Ferdinand got injured as England are somewhat bereft of centre halfs who are comfortable with the ball at their feet

ronaldo7
26-06-2010, 05:48 PM
The Qualifiers for 2012 EURO'S start in September, and Scotland are on the up, Harry Potter should get rid of the old guard, and rely on the new younger up and coming players, we have a decent squad when all fit.

Goalkeepers, Gordon,McGregor and Marshall, at right back we have Hutton,Whitty, and clubfoot, center backs are a bit of a problem tho, where We have both Caldwells, Berra,McManus,Webster and Barr, left back we have Wallace,Fox and Dixon[at a push] but Whitty can also play there, in midfield we have a lot of players who can play right/center, Brown,Dorrans,Fletcher [D],Thomshun,McCormack,Rae and Naismith, left/center we have Faddy,Maloney,Commons,Adam,Robson and Riordan and up front Fletcher[S], Boyd,Miller,O'Connor and Snodgrass.

So we do have a young squad that can be built into a team that will be hard to beat, if the manager play's them together as a team, in a few games to get them playing like they know each other in stead of chopping and changing.

For me the team I would like to see play against Sweden in the August friendly is the team we should start with in the 1st qualifier in September is

Gordon

Hutton
BerraWebster
Wallace

Brown
Fletcher D
Thomshun
McFadden

Fletcher [S]
Boyd

If we can start with a team like this, and build team spirit we can go on and play together for the next 6 or so years, as most of these players are still in there mid 20's

Discuss :wink:

:agree: Bombscare Berra is the weak link in this side. Not many to choose from in that department but I'd leave Bombscare out thanks.

H18sry
26-06-2010, 05:54 PM
:agree: Bombscare Berra is the weak link in this side. Not many to choose from in that department but I'd leave Bombscare out thanks.

He has had a fair season with Wolves and has had a lot less high profile mistakes than Caldwell has, and if we are building for the future then Berra and Webster will be our center halfs, untill Hanlon gets his chance :wink:

ronaldo7
26-06-2010, 08:22 PM
He has had a fair season with Wolves and has had a lot less high profile mistakes than Caldwell has, and if we are building for the future then Berra and Webster will be our center halfs, untill Hanlon gets his chance :wink:

He's still the weak link and a Bombscare:wink:

H18sry
27-06-2010, 08:36 AM
He's still the weak link and a Bombscare:wink:

So who would you play alongside Webster? Caldwell sent off 3 times last season, and has cost Scotland on more than 1 occasion :agree: