PDA

View Full Version : David Murray to build 25k Stadium on West of Edinburgh

proud_and_green
24-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Just seen in one of the construction magazines that David Murray is proposing to build a 25k seater stadium on the west side of Edinburgh.

Anybody heard about this, a replacement for meadowbank?

Hibernian Verse
24-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Excellent :greengrin yet more money not going towards the huns.

Gatecrasher
24-06-2010, 12:07 PM
maybe when hearts sell PBS they can Rent it off him :agree:

blackpoolhibs
24-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Somewhere for the sweet potato to rent???

DC_Hibs
24-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Story is avail to read in online Evening News today.

Doesn't explain however why there is a need for a 25k stadium to the west of the city.....................unless

7Hero
24-06-2010, 12:19 PM
heard it before will never happen.

dangermouse
24-06-2010, 12:24 PM
I wonder if he'll get the suspension of the green belt and planning permission through before PBS2 gets the go ahead.

Wembley67
24-06-2010, 12:26 PM
heard it before will never happen.

How come?

jgl07
24-06-2010, 12:30 PM
David Murray is skint despite being described as one of Scotland's richest men.

The bank are effectively running Rangers and (allegedly) MIM.

Where is he going to lay his hands on the cash for such a fanciful operation in the middle of a recession even assuming he could get permission to build on the Green Belt.

The Evening News is short of stories obviously.

Murray tried to hawk that site to Hearts in the Wallace Mercer era and planning permission was refused.

bighairyfaeleith
24-06-2010, 01:48 PM
He is just trying to get planning permission so he can flog the land. He couldnae afford to build a stadium the now!!

steviecarnie
24-06-2010, 01:52 PM
unneeded an arena would be more benefical for all in Edinburgh imo. Even aberdeen have one now, 10,000 - 15,000 indoor arena for concerts/exhibitions etc......

Hibernia Na Eir
24-06-2010, 02:32 PM
you just KNOW who is gonna end up playing there......:grr:

jgl07
24-06-2010, 02:42 PM
He is just trying to get planning permission so he can flog the land. He couldnae afford to build a stadium the now!!
Exactly.

Give me planning permission for the houses and I promise (honestly) to build you a stadium in 20 years time. Well I will give the land to the council so that they can build a 'community' stadium to house our 'care in the community' football club.

Sprouleflyer
24-06-2010, 02:56 PM
This was on STV news last night.

Area is not due to be completed until 2030.........not sure if that includes the stadium?

It's in the fields where they were looking to place the Royal Highland Show, think is getting called Gardens of Edinburgh or something similar.

Was thinking Hearts when they mentioned 25K stadium.

lapsedhibee
24-06-2010, 03:18 PM
:agree: And big screens in all the major European capital city centres for the other 375k.

jgl07
24-06-2010, 03:46 PM
This was on STV news last night.

Area is not due to be completed until 2030.........not sure if that includes the stadium?

It's in the fields where they were looking to place the Royal Highland Show, think is getting called Gardens of Edinburgh or something similar.

If so we can start calling them the Rim of Midlothian again?

Come on the Rimmers!

Phil D. Rolls
24-06-2010, 04:35 PM

That's it, he keeps coming back with this idea every few years in an attempt to breach the green belt. He isn't even original, he just grinds on and on and on in the hope that the council will have forgotten.

Of course, the need for a new stadium on that side of town becomes greater with each passing year, as Hearts desperately look for a face saving move from their spiritual home which they will never leave except on pain of death.

If Murray really wants to spend money on a stadium, why not invest in an upgrade to Meadowbank, which has been criminally left to rot for years?

7Hero
24-06-2010, 05:03 PM
How come?
first of all russ its a 5k stadium !! and secondly its a market i know pretty well and im afraid edinburgh can not sustain a venue of that size neither can the music industry supply artistes who can supply it at that size regardless of what city it happens to be in..

Golden Bear
24-06-2010, 05:06 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Edinburgh Rugby (the professional team) has some interest in the stadium. Currently the pro team are playing their home fixtures at Murrayfield in front of a few thousand spectators so it would make sense if they had some sort of interest in this development.

Murray is also actively involved in sponsorship of the national rugby team so he is already has an association with the rugby fraternity.

CraigK
24-06-2010, 05:25 PM
David Murray is skint despite being described as one of Scotland's richest men.

The bank are effectively running Rangers and (allegedly) MIM.

Just a wee pedantic note, but MIM are not owned by Murray any more, he sold that part of his business a few years ago. His company are Murray International Holdings, of which Rangers are a part (i used to work for HBOS and we did their accounts - and Hibs'!).

brydekirk
24-06-2010, 06:24 PM
:agree:

jgl07
24-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Just a wee pedantic note, but MIM are not owned by Murray any more, he sold that part of his business a few years ago. His company are Murray International Holdings, of which Rangers are a part (i used to work for HBOS and we did their accounts - and Hibs'!).
I am getting my Murray companies in a mix.

I still don't think he has a leg to stand on in this.

How can he stump up the cash anyway?

bighairyfaeleith
24-06-2010, 07:29 PM

:tee hee:

Toaods
24-06-2010, 10:02 PM

I don't rate your cheap humour...completely KNEEdLESS

greenlex
24-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Why is the Edinburgh professional rugby team not just playing at Meadowbank in a Stadium more suited to it's crowds?

ballengeich
24-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Why is the Edinburgh professional rugby team not just playing at Meadowbank in a Stadium more suited to it's crowds?

It's because the Scottish Rugby Union which owns Murrayfield runs Edinburgh rugby, so don't want any of the club's income to be paid in rental of a stadium from another body.

It's like the SFA's ownership of Hampden which means that cup semi-finals all get played at Hampden to maximise their income.

hibsdaft
24-06-2010, 10:57 PM
this says Murray is seriously struggling financially.

it doesn't strike me even about making money but more about trying to cooking the books - this is a £1bn project that would totally alter the balance sheet of his firm if he got PPP (planning permission in principle).

the thing is that the proposal is dire, bad ideas, badly pitched at the wrong time at the wrong location. its should embarrass him.

maybe the idea is to con some investors/ bank into thinking there's mileage in it, because it simply smacks of desperation and its frankly a waste of even the mere grand he'll have paid consultants to knock it up.