PDA

View Full Version : Celtic sniffing about Stokes

GloriousHibs
23-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere

http://sport.stv.tv/football/184051-celtic-linked-with-move-for-hibs-hotshot-anthony-stokes-report/?

M11BMO
23-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere

http://sport.stv.tv/football/184051-celtic-linked-with-move-for-hibs-hotshot-anthony-stokes-report/?

It was always going to happen. I hope they switch they're attentions somewhere alse. If he does go it better be for more than the £1M quoted.:bitchy:

Hibernian Verse
23-06-2010, 02:53 PM
It was always going to happen. I hope they switch they're attentions somewhere alse. If he does go it better be for more than the £1M quoted.:bitchy:

In Rod, we trust.

Bob Box Fish
23-06-2010, 02:54 PM
1 million made me chuckle

vahibbie
23-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Tell Celtic to F OFF.
and tell Stokes he can go anywhere but Scotland....for the right price.

Kyle A
23-06-2010, 03:00 PM
How long is Stokes contract with us?

Frazerbob
23-06-2010, 03:00 PM
"Stokes who is currently playing some of the best football of his career for Hibs"

Have I been missing some games?

Vini1875
23-06-2010, 04:59 PM
"Stokes who is currently playing some of the best football of his career for Hibs"

Have I been missing some games?

1 goal behind top scorer Boyd in a Hibs team which struggled for the last four months is fantastic going. He scores goals that is what he does. He does not dribble around three guys and score for sure but he does score goals and plenty.

RickyS
23-06-2010, 05:05 PM
1 goal behind top scorer Boyd in a Hibs team which struggled for the last four months is fantastic going. He scores goals that is what he does. He does not dribble around three guys and score for sure but he does score goals and plenty.

excellent post mate

.Sean.
23-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Let's start the bidding at 3 million pounds :agree:

Green_one
23-06-2010, 05:24 PM
He might well have a buy out clause and all Celtic need to do is match it. I suspect £1M is well short of that though.

As we all know, everyone is for sale, if the price is right.

brydekirk
23-06-2010, 05:43 PM
1 million plus his wages, for the next 2 years. :agree:

God Petrie
23-06-2010, 06:01 PM
5m

steviecarnie
23-06-2010, 06:06 PM
£100k per goal, so start at £2.2m plus remainer of contract id be looking for - £2.7m/£3m atleast

Bostonhibby
23-06-2010, 06:31 PM
I always expected to lose him as it was probably a pre condition to him joining that he could leave on the right terms but I suspect the terms were mutually beneficial, in Rod we trust, and I doubt Celtc could easily raise the money, not the sort of money that others might, Being beaten to Fletcher by Burnley for example - unless they are also customers of a very very big Lithuanian Bank who lend money on hugely attractive terms - you don't even have to pay it back.

Kyle A
23-06-2010, 06:36 PM
He should go only if the money is right and not to a team in Scotland, just like fletch

if he goes petrie can go up front :greengrin

Www1875hfc
23-06-2010, 06:45 PM
If Stokes was to join celtc,do sunderland stand to make something from the sale?

If so,whats the percentage?

Stokes plus cash ,and a couple o fringe players would do me.

Aldo
23-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Tell you what that £1 Million quid will not be far off the mark for those tight a&^e gits.

He will go but RP will dictate the price and not them.

Try a starting bid of around 2.5 million and we might start talking but forget it if you are offering peanuts.

If Aiden' I fall down when someone goes near me, whinge moan, I am great etc' McGeady is worth 10 million then what is Stokes worth???

I rest my case.

Smellic GTF and if you want him be prepared to give us big bucks ENDOF

monktonharp
23-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Stokes is always going to be linked with Celtic,and i'm sure he will definately want to go there at some stage. despite the number of goals he got last season,his body language,at times looks he wants to be elsewhere. punt him on,if he feels that way,and get Deeks in where he does his stuff best.

steviecarnie
23-06-2010, 06:59 PM
a boy on my facebook wrote this:
Stokes has already signed for us. Paperwork already lodged with SFA etc. He told a good friend of mine a couple of weeks ago.

If Only
23-06-2010, 07:00 PM
a boy on my facebook wrote this:
Stokes has already signed for us. Paperwork already lodged with SFA etc. He told a good friend of mine a couple of weeks ago.

That really confirms it then!!!!!!!

steviecarnie
23-06-2010, 07:03 PM
That really confirms it then!!!!!!!

as i said back, very much doubt it, A) there is no way that woulda stayed out the press, and B) the celtic board wouldnt sanction the fee required. not with the other targets they are sniffing around as well......

Booked4Being-Ugly
23-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Just the usual arrogance from Celtic - make it public they are after a certain player to unsettle them, then try and get them on the cheap!

If they're wanting more than 8.3M for that huddie McGeady then we want 5M at least for Stokes.

:I'm waiti

hibee4life1983
23-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Cant see it, not for 1m, in fact, no chance.

The tache has big things planned and a typical weedgie' skin flint offer im positive will be brushed aside, and with 2 years left on his contract i can see the iron tache will want to keep and get another season with goals aplenty for stokesy, and i would assume he would want to stay and try and match last season aswell.

If all was to work out as above we could be looking at 5m easy. And u can bet ur last quid rod will have caught on to this.

CRAZYHIBBY
23-06-2010, 07:44 PM
i heard about this months ago and posted a thread on it ....was regarded by most as pish but the guy who told me at the time was adamant that it was going to happen

Aldo
23-06-2010, 07:47 PM
If and when it happens it will not be on the cheap...and smellic know this big time.

Greg luganis will go for nearly 9 million then they will need to spend at least half of that to get Stokes IMHO...who will get better.

Frazerbob
23-06-2010, 07:48 PM

Whoosh!

My points was that he is "currently" on on his holidays. It's the close season!

Westie1875
23-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Just the usual arrogance from Celtic - make it public they are after a certain player to unsettle them, then try and get them on the cheap!

If they're wanting more than 8.3M for that huddie McGeady then we want 5M at least for Stokes.

:I'm waiti

Bugger that, if the over rated McGeady is worth 8.3m then Stokes is worth 10m :greengrin:wink:

steviecarnie
23-06-2010, 07:59 PM
haha this is getting commical, this guy who claims to have connections at celtic - states there is a £1m release clause and celtic have activated this and agreed terms.

now correct me if im wrong but, we never got Stokes for free did we? so when u factor in fee, signing on fee, and wages - £1m doesnt cover it surely? so are we to believe that Rod Petrie is willing to take a loss on stokes........I'LL TELL THE JOKES:greengrin

Booked4Being-Ugly
23-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Bugger that, if the over rated McGeady is worth 8.3m then Stokes is worth 10m :greengrin:wink: I was trying to keep it reasonably sensible :wink: but, using Yamathematics, if the Yams want 5M for Driver then 30M would be fair price for Stokes! :agree:

Jamie
23-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Tell them to ram it :tsk tsk:

bighairyfaeleith
23-06-2010, 08:13 PM
5 million and not a penny less. 3 million to anyone outside of scotland:wink:

.Sean.
23-06-2010, 08:26 PM
5 million and not a penny less. 3 million to anyone outside of scotland:wink:
I like your style!! :greengrin

LancashireHibby
23-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Anything over £3million has to be given serious consideration, especially if the cash raised could go towards signing O'Connor.

sahib
23-06-2010, 08:36 PM
I think a fairly low figure as part of a release clause could be a possibility. The deal with Sunderland and Stokes could have been a small fee for us to sign him with a large percentage of any sell on. People may be disappointed by how low a fee we may get. This of course is just speculation on my part.

The Silver Fox
23-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Celtic would have got Stokes in an instant when Hibs secured him. they were well aware of his ability when he played for Falkiirk. He had lost his way in the game and Hibs gave him a chance, Celtic never. Now they circle like vultures for a ready made striker, whay do they not devlop their own instead of cherry picking,

My totally independent advice would be to stay with Hibs for a year, play a liitle better than last season then have another go at the Premiership and avoid Celtic like syphillis.

keep the faith
23-06-2010, 09:00 PM
I think a fairly low figure as part of a release clause could be a possibility. The deal with Sunderland and Stokes could have been a small fee for us to sign him with a large percentage of any sell on. People may be disappointed by how low a fee we may get. This of course is just speculation on my part.

:agree: Thats my gut feeling too.

DH1875
23-06-2010, 09:24 PM
I like your style!! :greengrin

Me TOO.

I'd rather give him away for nothing to a club in England rather than sell him to celtic for 1 million.

hfc rd
23-06-2010, 11:37 PM
£5m plus a 25% sell on clause. That will do me. But doubt Lennon will do that and will offer something very stupid like £500,000 for a striker that narrowly missed out on finishing top scoreer in the SPL by one goal.

Stevie Reid
24-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Whilst I'm prepared to believe that there is possibly a set fee written into his contract, and I very much believe that Sunderland and Stokes could be due part of this fee, I would be amazed if it's as low as £1M. Such things tend to be leaked to the press, and The Sun, Record etc. would've been all over this if that was the case.

PaulSmith
24-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Whilst I'm prepared to believe that there is possibly a set fee written into his contract, and I very much believe that Sunderland and Stokes could be due part of this fee, I would be amazed if it's as low as £1M. Such things tend to be leaked to the press, and The Sun, Record etc. would've been all over this if that was the case.

Where and when has this been confirmed or commented upon though? Everyone just seems to think that this must be the case, perhaps Sunderland were happy to get him off their books and Stokes knew that by coming to Hibs he'd get another shot at a big transfer otherwise he was finished.

Hibs90
24-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Stokes would jump at the chance to sign for Celtic - he supports them. I for one don't want him going anywhere though and don't think he will.

Sandy
24-06-2010, 09:45 AM
I can see him going for 2.75 million plus a player coming in the opposite direction, Caddis maybe ?

Stevie Reid
24-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Where and when has this been confirmed or commented upon though? Everyone just seems to think that this must be the case, perhaps Sunderland were happy to get him off their books and Stokes knew that by coming to Hibs he'd get another shot at a big transfer otherwise he was finished.

It hasn't been, as far as I know. All I said was that I was prepared to believe that it could've been part of the deal to bring him here, not that it must be the case.

At the end of the day, Sunderland released him early after paying a £2M transfer fee and a lot of money in wages for him. It's perfectly believable that they could have had a sell on clause inserted as part of the deal to free him.

Time will tell if he eventually leaves us before the end of his contract.

DC_Hibs
24-06-2010, 10:05 AM
At the end of the day, Sunderland released him early after paying a £2M transfer fee and a lot of money in wages for him. It's perfectly believable that they could have had a sell on clause inserted as part of the deal to free him.

We signed Stokes from Sunderland for an "undisclosed fee". Many people are under the impression that we got him for nowt.

I have no doubt that Stokes will get a portion of any sell on fee as part of the deal he signed due to the huge drop in wages he took to sign for us. I'd be surprised though if Sunderland were to get a % of any Hibs profit as that would be peanuts to any EPL club and they would have been happy to get his weekly wage of 14k off their books...... and pocket an undisclosed fee.

Phil MaGlass
24-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Surely Rod and the club will be putting it out there to other clubs that Celtic are interested, would be good to have a couple of clubs vying for him other than they cheap ba55as

Hibs90
24-06-2010, 10:10 AM
We signed Stokes from Sunderland for an "undisclosed fee". Many people are under the impression that we got him for nowt.

I have no doubt that Stokes will get a portion of any sell on fee as part of the deal he signed due to the huge drop in wages he took to sign for us. I'd be surprised though if Sunderland were to get a % of any Hibs profit as that would be peanuts to any EPL club and they would have been happy to get his weekly wage of 14k off their books...... and pocket an undisclosed fee.

How do you know he was on 14k?

Stevie Reid
24-06-2010, 10:17 AM

I didn't say that we got him for nowt, I said Sunderland released him early from his contract - I've heard from various people that we may have paid up to £500K for him. And I would be amazed if any Premiership chairman would turn their nose up at potentially a few hundred thousand pounds coming into their club, especially for a player who achieved very little for the outlay on transfer fee and wages.

basehibby
24-06-2010, 10:24 AM
My first reaction was that Rod should not even bother replying to such a derisory offer.

But - IIRC Stokes only signed a 2 year deal with Hibs, which would mean he's now got one season left and that a £1M offer isn't really all that bad.

So - in that case maybe Rod should reply to their offer afterall - and tell them to stuff it up their smelly unwashed Jaxies - :bye:

Stevie Reid
24-06-2010, 10:30 AM
My first reaction was that Rod should not even bother replying to such a derisory offer.

But - IIRC Stokes only signed a 2 year deal with Hibs, which would mean he's now got one season left and that a £1M offer isn't really all that bad.

So - in that case maybe Rod should reply to their offer afterall - and tell them to stuff it up their smelly unwashed Jaxies - :bye:

We have Stokes for another 2 years: -

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Republic-of-Ireland-international-Anthony.5576712.jp

sahib
24-06-2010, 10:32 AM

Such an agreement would have to be highly confidential, otherwise any intrested party would offer the minimum required.

Stevie Reid
24-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Such an agreement would have to be highly confidential, otherwise any intrested party would offer the minimum required.

That's my point. If there was a £1M trigger in Stokes' contract then it could be leaked by an agent quite easily if he wanted his player to move - it's not as if such things haven't come out in the press before.

As I said earlier, I don't think it would be so low (if it even exists) as I think it would've come out by now.

PaulSmith
24-06-2010, 10:52 AM
At the end of the day all the posts regarding sell on clauses are just speculation but what I am 100% confident of is that the Hibs board will have ensured that if Stokes were to be sold that we would get the maximum amount possible into our club.

Stevie Reid
24-06-2010, 10:54 AM
At the end of the day all the posts regarding sell on clauses are just speculation but what I am 100% confident of is that the Hibs board will have ensured that if Stokes were to be sold that we would get the maximum amount possible into our club.

I fully agree with that - I just don't think we can under estimate what a miracle Yogi and the board pulled off to get him here in the first place, and what we may have had to sacrfice as a result.

matty_f
24-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Tell them to ram it :tsk tsk:
:agree: My thoughts exactly.

proud_and_green
24-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Anything over £3million has to be given serious consideration, especially if the cash raised could go towards signing O'Connor.

I think this would be the key for me, I would prefer not to lose him or for that matter any of our remaining players. But if we lose any player we must have an alternative lined up to come in. Stokes gets a bad press and i have been one who gets frustrated with him for laziness but the fact is he scores goals and we need that.

Woody1985
24-06-2010, 12:00 PM

I thought that was the whole point of these release clauses or is there generally something in the contract that states no one should be privvy to the information?

I would have thought that the release clause can disclosed to interested clubs if one of the parties were willing to disclose it.

Hibernian Verse
24-06-2010, 12:19 PM
I thought that was the whole point of these release clauses or is there generally something in the contract that states no one should be privvy to the information?

I would have thought that the release clause can disclosed to interested clubs if one of the parties were willing to disclose it.

Not sure, Real Madrid seemed to know what Messi's was.

basehibby
24-06-2010, 01:00 PM
We have Stokes for another 2 years: -

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Republic-of-Ireland-international-Anthony.5576712.jp

Cool - in that case their derisory offer is not even worthy of a response - a poor and squalid joke from the tinkers :bye: