PDA

View Full Version : Player sacrifices for the Hibs cause?

random sub
22-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Not much happening on here so thought I would try and start a thread for those with witty banter and informed Hibby history:-

e.g. Frank Sauzee sacrificed a tooth (against AEK was it?)

any others?

Removed
22-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Not much happening on here so thought I would try and start a thread for those with witty banter and informed Hibby history:-

any others?

He lost 4 teeth scoring against the yams

tamig
22-06-2010, 08:57 PM

any others?

That was against Hertz when he scored.

Pretty Boy
22-06-2010, 09:01 PM
A few of our current players regularly sacrifice their nights out on the lash as they believe in living their lives as pro footballers should........

heretoday
22-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Peter Cormack once lost a tooth playing with a tennis ball in his hotel room. Now that's dedication!

Removed
22-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Peter Cormack once lost a tooth playing with a tennis ball in his hotel room. Now that's dedication!

:hmmm: Was Jakki there I wonder :wink:

Kaiser_Sauzee
22-06-2010, 09:31 PM
We had a player die after playing at Firhill in the 1910's I think it was. Lived in West Calder I think. Johnnyboy?

Sprouleflyer
22-06-2010, 09:52 PM
We had a player die after playing at Firhill in the 1910's I think it was. Lived in West Calder I think. Johnnyboy?

Nah, Johnnyboy is alright, sure I saw him post today!!!!

Ed De Gramo
22-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Amadou Konte sacrificed the chance to score the Derby winner and instead let Deano be the hero :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::greengrin

Wembley67
22-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Not a player but STF sacrificed rather a large amount of money over time for our existence....can't really top that :thumbsup:

basehibby
22-06-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm sure I heard that Georgie Best once sacrificed a hot date with three former Miss Worlds in order to turn out for the Hibees away at Morton or something - but then he bumped into the French Rugby team at the bar of the old North British Hotel and the rest is history

basehibby
22-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Also - did wee Russel Latapy not sacrifice his love of fags - by cutting down to a mere 40 a day - just so as he could give his best for the Hibees :agree:

jgl07
22-06-2010, 10:19 PM
That was against Hertz when he scored.
They were crowns he lost.

His dentist restored the teeth quickly.

CapitalHibs
22-06-2010, 10:52 PM
They were crowns he lost.

His dentist restored the teeth quickly.

Coudnae have Franck looking like a yam!:lolyam:

Mixu62
23-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Ex-Hibs forward Darren Jackson sacrificed his self respect when he signed for the maroon balloons.

Honourable mention for Mickey Weir here too, for playing through the pain barrier with a chronic back problem for years.

kirky hibs
23-06-2010, 06:51 AM
John Brownlie broke his leg against east fife

matty_f
23-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Graham Stack just about lost sight in an eye in training.:agree:

Virginia Hibs
23-06-2010, 07:58 AM
I seem to recall Ralph Callaghan breaking his jaw whilst scoring a diving header at Dens park back in the day. :thumbsup: 2:1 win if my memory serves me correct

Broken jaw was the result of sticking his head in where it hurts and the Dundee defender mistakingly kicking Ralphie's heed rather than the baw! All in front of the Hibs support at the TCK end IIRC but then again I am getting old!

cockneymike
23-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Rod Petrie sacrificed the Saturday afternoon enjoyment of football for thousands of Hibs fans for several years, by chasing the so-called 'security' that his appointment of Blobby presented. :grr:

cockneymike
23-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Apparently Gary Mackay and some other Hearts players sacrificed a league and cup double in 1986 for Hibs' fans enjoyment for evermore. Although I've never heard the full story on that one, anyone have the details? :confused:

basehibby
23-06-2010, 08:48 AM
I've been sacrificing chickens, goats and occasionally vestal virgins to the gods of good fortune for years now in the hope that they will smile on us and Hibs win the Scottish Cup - nae luck so far but I'll keep on trying.

Phil D. Rolls
23-06-2010, 09:23 AM

He's very fortunate when you consider what happened to Michael Hutchence. :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
23-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Not a player but STF sacrificed rather a large amount of money over time for our existence....can't really top that :thumbsup:

Yeah, he was living hand to mouth for ages, I'm surprised he managed to survive tbh. :rolleyes:

not really a sacrifice but dedication to the game:

Alan Orman's seizure?

This is just getting silly.

LancashireHibby
23-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Yeah, he was living hand to mouth for ages, I'm surprised he managed to survive tbh. :rolleyes:

The fella doesn't have to keep writing cheques though, does he?

With the amount of money he has "invested" (invested being lost down a black hole) in Hibs over the years, I think he more than deserves to be cut some slack instead of criticising the simple fact that he's a wealthy guy.

jakki
23-06-2010, 11:41 AM
:hmmm: Was Jakki there I wonder :wink:

No I was never in his hotel room,only him in my bedroom with other members of the Peter Cormack Fan Club.

And if anyone is missing my great predictions in the WC league, my computer would not register me into hibs.net and so I've not predicted since Saturday.:grr: Hopefully will get back into it today and start to creep up the table.:greengrin

J-C
23-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Maka sacrificed cult status among the supporters by constantly making an erse of himself all too often and now slagging off Hibs into the bargain.

hibee4life1983
23-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Deek, left wing?

yekimevol
23-06-2010, 12:41 PM
did scott brown not play with knee lig damage in the 2-1 victory of the jambos after the semi ??:confused: me thinks so not not positvie

Perspective
23-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Saw guys like Chris Hogg regularly patch themselves up to play last year, then leave the ground barely able to walk.

That's the kind of selfless dedicated that often goes unappreciated.

I remember Franck was in no fit state to play in the Scottish Cup Final against Celtic, having been done in the week before against Rangers. What a boost it was for him to hobble out the Hampden tunnel before the game (and what a reception he got) but he should never really have played.

Pretty Boy
23-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Saw guys like Chris Hogg regularly patch themselves up to play last year, then leave the ground barely able to walk.

That's the kind of selfless dedicated that often goes unappreciated.

I remember Franck was in no fit state to play in the Scottish Cup Final against Celtic, having been done in the week before against Rangers. What a boost it was for him to hobble out the Hampden tunnel before the game (and what a reception he got) but he should never really have played.

Sauzees dedication to Hibs was unreal at times.

If my memories not playing tricks i'm sure not get injured in the 2nd leg of the AEK game(after missing the 1st game) and in his frustration he just about destroyed the dug out with a mighty swing of his boot. Could be wrong but i'm sure this happened.

Broken Gnome
23-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Dave Beaumont SHOULD have sacrificed his place in a cup replay by swiftly booting Wayne Foster over the East Stand....

MoscowHibs
23-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Cant say much aboot players sacrificing something for the Hibs, but I personally have sacrificed a Saturday afternoon getting bored titless shopping wi her indoors for errrr, getting bored titless at a multitude of football stadia country wide.:grr:

bighairyfaeleith
23-06-2010, 04:57 PM
KT sacrificed his dignity and self respect to get us millions from the huns. Does that count:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
23-06-2010, 07:38 PM
The fella doesn't have to keep writing cheques though, does he?

With the amount of money he has "invested" (invested being lost down a black hole) in Hibs over the years, I think he more than deserves to be cut some slack instead of criticising the simple fact that he's a wealthy guy.

I've got immense gratitude to Tom Farmer for what he has done for Hibs. I don't know him but I get the impression he didn't do it for hero worship. I think he got something back as well, and I honestly believe he'd be embarrassed at the term "sacrifice", he seems to be a grounded guy that appreciates what that really means in life.

matty_f
23-06-2010, 07:43 PM

If my memories not playing tricks i'm sure not get injured in the 2nd leg of the AEK game(after missing the 1st game) and in his frustration he just about destroyed the dug out with a mighty swing of his boot. Could be wrong but i'm sure this happened.

The dent/hole in the dug out is still there.:thumbsup:

McKenzie
24-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Garry O'Connor sacrificed his signing on fee for the youth set-up

Hal Jordan
24-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Joe Tortolano sacrificed his chance to control the Five Families to play for the Hibs instead

Pinkie
24-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Joe Tortolano sacrificed his chance to control the Five Families to play for the Hibs instead

Same era (roughly). I can't remember who we were playing but I have a vivid memory of Willie Miller standing at the front post bracing himself up at the away end as an opposing attacker battered the ball as hard as he could at the goal. Miller took it square on the head. I felt it from section K.

Fond memories of Willie Miller. His crossing was erratic but I don't ever remember him shirking a tackle.

dangermouse
25-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Joe almost (ritually) sacrificed WGS in a friendly at Easter Road against MU but only managed to take an early bath. :wink:

jamiehibee
25-06-2010, 09:42 AM
did scott brown not play with knee lig damage in the 2-1 victory of the jambos after the semi ??:confused: me thinks so not not positvie

I seem to remember he'd pick it up the week before and refused to get it checked in case he was ruled out of the yams game

Thought it was a shin fracture of something though.

Green Machine
25-06-2010, 09:46 AM
So Allan McGraw play the last 10mins at *********** in a Semi final cup game against Dundee midweek game with his leg bandaged top to bottom he could hardly walk but no subs in these days so had to fill the space.
Threw himself at the ball at the back post with minutes to go and lay limp behind the goals unable to stand up. hibees won and he got carried to the dressing room.
Met him at castle grey skull against Hibs years later and he had lost both legs. Had a good crack with him and he remembered the game well. Could not help thinking that things like that game had to have had a bearing on the out come of his legs.
Legend on the night.:thumbsup:

Phil D. Rolls
25-06-2010, 07:37 PM
So Allan McGraw play the last 10mins at *********** in a Semi final cup game against Dundee midweek game with his leg bandaged top to bottom he could hardly walk but no subs in these days so had to fill the space.
Threw himself at the ball at the back post with minutes to go and lay limp behind the goals unable to stand up. hibees won and he got carried to the dressing room.
Met him at castle grey skull against Hibs years later and he had lost both legs. Had a good crack with him and he remembered the game well. Could not help thinking that things like that game had to have had a bearing on the out come of his legs.
Legend on the night.:thumbsup:

I think we have a winner, amazing story.

Hal Jordan
25-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Joe almost (ritually) sacrificed WGS in a friendly at Easter Road against MU but only managed to take an early bath. :wink:

In retrospect, that was the best tackle I've ever seen...hehe.:thumbsup:

Iggy Pope
25-06-2010, 09:10 PM

The boot mark in the dugout from Franck's Predators remains to this day
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<LOOK HERE

Horse
25-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Let's not forget Super Torto who broke his leg and still finished the match. Can't quite remember which game it was but it was at ER.

drifter533814
25-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Dean Shiels, legend to play at the level he did.

CapitalHibs
26-06-2010, 06:10 PM
I think we might be adding Edwin de Graaf's name to this list. Gives me the impression he's really up for it:thumbsup:

Riordans Boots
26-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Deeks came back :thumbsup:

.Sean.
26-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Not a player sacrafice, however I had arranged to take a tidy bird (stunning, btw... think Paris Hilton, but no a bag o' bones) out on a Saturday afternoon.

Had a change of heart on the Friday night and told her I wouldn't be making it. She wasn't best pleased when she realised she'd been bumped for an all-day session with the boys and a trip to Inverness. It was February, I experienced arctic temperatures and Hibs lost.

Fair to say she's not spoken to me since! Meant to be a cracking ride anaw... :boo hoo:

Phil D. Rolls
26-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Not a player sacrafice, however I had arranged to take a tidy bird (stunning, btw... think Paris Hilton, but no a bag o' bones) out on a Saturday afternoon.

Had a change of heart on the Friday night and told her I wouldn't be making it. She wasn't best pleased when she realised she'd been bumped for an all-day session with the boys and a trip to Inverness. It was February, I experienced arctic temperatures and Hibs lost.

Fair to say she's not spoken to me since! Meant to be a cracking ride anaw... :boo hoo:

Ach well, at least you saved the price of a flight to the Phillipines. :greengrin